Follow

Ash

Character » Ash appears in 319 issues.

When Ash went to a cabin in the woods with his girlfriend, he had no idea what he was be getting himself into. He unwittingly played a recorded evil incantation that unleashed demonic spirits, which possessed his girlfriend and his right hand. A reluctant savior, Ash is humanities' last hope.

ARMY OF DARKNESS Interview With Elliott R. Serrano

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

There's been some talk about The Evil Dead and Bruce Campbell's character, Ashley J. Williams. No stranger to comics, Ash is making his return to continue his fight against the Army of Darkness. With a new series debuting in February, it looks like he won't be fighting alone.

To find out who this lady is and what's coming up for Ash, we asked ARMY OF DARKNESS writer, Elliott R. Serrano, a few questions.

Comic Vine: Where does this story fit in with Ash? How long has it been since his last adventure?

Eliott R. Serrano: When we first see Ash in the new series, it's been about a year since the last series ended. Ash has continued his battle against the Deadite forces, but considering how things turned out with the League of Light he's decided to return to being a 'solo' act. He knows that every time he allows someone to get close to him, they end up as collateral damage in the war against the Necronomicon, so he's opted to isolate himself to protect others.

CV: Who came up with the idea for a female Ash?

ERS: If I remember correctly the idea of having a female Ash was pitched by [Dynamite Entertainment President and Publisher] Nick Barrucci who actually pitched two characters that figure into the opening arc of the new series. After discussing how to make the idea work, Joe Rybandt gave me the idea of using a concept that had been explored in previous Army of Darkness series, that there are multiple universes and multiple "Ashes" throughout. Going from there, the idea of a female Ash intrigued me because there are some great thematic elements you can explore, more so than the "real" Ash meeting yet another one of his male doppelgangers.

I will say that I've been getting a lot of positive feedback on the character, especially from female fans of the AoD series. I've even had one of my female followers on Twitter tell me that she's going to dress as "Lady Ash" for her next comic convention.

== TEASER ==

CV: How long will this arc last?

ERS: The opening story arc introducing "Lady Ash" will last 4 issues, after which we're going to put the focus squarely on "our" Ash and see how he's been faring. Don't get me wrong, "Lady Ash" does figure into what's to come, so hopefully we'll get a chance to bring her back. I have the story arc for the first year of AoD planned out in my head, it's just up to fans of the book to support it so that we can tell the whole story.

No Caption Provided

CV: Is Ash still working as S-Mart?

ERS: I can't see Ash working anywhere but S-Mart, so the answer is definitely yes. I view Ash as a 'lifer' when it comes to working in retail. He's gotten quite comfortable doing what he does and he sees no point in changing that. That's not to say that he doesn't have problems at work. I like to view Ash's interactions with the other S-Mart employees as the banality he has to endure when not on his exotic and mystical adventures, quite like when Indiana Jones has to teach class as an Archeology professor. A part of him likes the routine and the 'grounded' nature of the job, but after a while, he starts itching to get away from it all.

CV: Does he have a lot of vacation days to go off on all these adventures?

ERS: Not nearly enough. In fact, his problems with absence from work does figure into the series.

CV: Will there be threats other than deadites?

ERS: Absolutely! Ash has fought more than just deadites over the years and the plot device of having a mystic force that can transport you across time and space - often times at random - gives us an opportunity to do things outside of the "Ash versus zombies" milieu. We'll be introducing new threats, revisiting some old ones, but hopefully mixing things up well enough to keep things fresh.

CV: How many chainsaws does Ash own? How often does he have maintenance done on them?

ERS: In my mind he owns the one that we see him with all the time. To make another Indiana Jones comparison, that chainsaw is like Indy's hat in that he can never lose it. I'll actually be playing with that idea throughout the series. As for maintenance, Ash cares for "Buzz" (that's what he named his chainsaw) and his boomstick pretty regularly. Keeping that baby gassed up and oiled is a priority because you never know when the Deadites are gonna come knocking on your door!

ARMY OF DARKNESS returns on February 22, 2012 from Dynamite Entertainment. Be sure to let your comic shop know you need a copy so you can find out all about Lady Ash.

For now, check out this exclusive first look at some of the interior pages.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Larkin1388

Neat

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Does Ash still have the metal gauntlet hand or is it just the chainsaw now???

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NightFang3

Could be awesome.

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Gordo789

Lady Ash: Beacuse we need to put more boobs in. I approve.

enigma_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By enigma_2099

@Gordo789 said:

Exactly...

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Gordo789 said:

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

OH YEAH!!!! HAIL TO THE KING!!!!!!!!! HAIL TO THE KING!!!!!!!!! HAIL TO THE KING!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#8  Edited By The Impersonator

@Mr. Dead Pool said:

OH YEAH!!!! HAIL TO THE KING!!!!!!!!! HAIL TO THE KING!!!!!!!!! HAIL TO THE KING!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I like the concept of a female Ash as well as 'multiple Ashes" and how this series will apparently address using that concept. I think this will turn out to be great.

kingspawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kingspawn

wow! i'm a big fan of army of darkness. then,that new main character.....lady ash? i like her. she is most beautiful and dangerous just like ash,baby! lol

ALdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ALdragon17

"Hail to the King baby, baby"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck

"Gimme some sugar, baby." But would that be like when Deadpool kissed Lady Deadpool? Kinda gross if you think about it.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eyz

Oh man,I should totally catch up on ARMY OF DARKNESS comics! I loved the earlier ones Dynamite released!

Thowell3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Thowell3

Why do I get the feeling that Ash will try to sleep with Lady Ash (or Ashley as she should be called)?

I am going to sit this one in the Dark, I'll Wait till the Traid Paper back comes out. I don't have the money to Add another comic to my list sadly.

traecoffey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By traecoffey

as long as i live i hope evil dead gos away

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By RainEffect

GTFO!

A character in my story is named Lady Ashe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.