inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Another villain is coming to Arrow, but this time, it's a classic Batman villain. TVLine reported recently that Eli Stone star Tom Amandes has been cast to play Noah Kuttler AKA The Calculator. On the show, Kuttler will use his advanced computer skills to blackmail Roy Harper out of vigilante retirement to work for him, which will lead to a battle with Arrow and company.

The Calculator first appeared in DETECTIVE COMICS #463 back in 1976 as a villain who battled heroes with a computer console in his chest. He was later reinvented as an information broker to the seedy elements of the criminal underworld.

Arrow will return on December 2 to CW with the second part of the Flash/Arrow crossover.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

From what I read on the wiki, the Calculator is sort of like an evil Oracle with Extremis. Should be an interesting foe for Felicity.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"Another villain is coming to Arrow, but this time, it's a classic Batman villain"

I hope the "but" was sarcasm

RavenKingXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Two things

1. No body has heard/care about Him for him and o be considered a classic batman foe.

2. if you want make him memorable, you got to make him not just a match for felicity but also for Oliver. Seriously can't We have a tech villians who is much a physical advisory as he is mentally.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Koays

Would kind of be great if was just flat out superior to Felicity. Too many times we have opponents who you know the team could beat in a fair teat of skills but end up having to cheat or distract to escape/prolong the conflict.

Just have him curbstomp her and then let it become a standing rivalry for her to try to overcome....she really needs it since she mostly goes unchallenged.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Please don't make him Felicity's dad.

jayc1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What type of idiotic name is the calculator.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Cool. The Calculator was incredibly creepy right before the start of the New 52. And I'm down for his being Felicity's dad, even if it's a bit predictable/convenient/cliche.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenkingxxx: agreed, if anything he's famous as an oracle villain/evil counterpart. It's like the annoying people who always claim kingpin is a Spider-Man because he had some unmemorable stories with him before daredevil.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

surprise, surprise move Batman villains on ARROW

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look ANOTHER Batman villain.

Two things

1. No body has heard/care about Him for him and o be considered a classic batman foe.

2. if you want make him memorable, you got to make him not just a match for felicity but also for Oliver. Seriously can't We have a tech villians who is much a physical advisory as he is mentally.

What does popularity have to do with anything? would you not consider Krona a GL villain? or would you call him a Superman villain?

And even if we pretend for one second that he's not associated with Batman but he goes on to become Felicity's arch nemesis then how will that not be ripping off another character's story and planting it on a Arrow character? Arrow is ashamed to be a Green Arrow show,it wants to be about Batman and there's no argument around that.

@dan12456 said:

@ravenkingxxx: agreed, if anything he's famous as an oracle villain/evil counterpart. It's like the annoying people who always claim kingpin is a Spider-Man because he had some unmemorable stories with him before daredevil.

What exactly is Oracle then if not a Batman family character?

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

"Another villain is coming to Arrow, but this time, it's a classic Batman villain"

I hope the "but" was sarcasm

Please don't make him Felicity's dad.

This.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dan12456

@entropy_aegis said:

That's a weak argument. The batfam aren't owned by Bruce, they are all just as interesting characters by this point. Bruce doesn't get Saiko and Dick's Spyral enemies as part of his rogues gallery. Neither does he get Barbara's like Knightfall or Calculator.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@zearing: Some rumors ay that he will be Felicity´s father.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

That's a weak argument. The batfam aren't owned by Bruce, they are all just as interesting characters by this point. Bruce doesn't get Saiko and Dick's Spyral enemies as part of his rogues gallery. Neither does he get Barbara's like Knightfall or Calculator.

Didn't say that they needed Bruce to be interesting at all,heck I find the family far more interesting these days but I still question why Arrow felt the need to take a Barbara villain and make her a Felicity villain? are there no other computer based villains? cant they make a new one? remember Brother Eye on Arrow?

The show is just obsessed with anything Batman and the sad part is that it's own original elements are far better than the Batman related concepts they use.

Even Gotham will all their access to the Batman lore still try to create new characters and push them like Fish Mooney and the Galavans,now I'm not implying they're great but it still beats Arrow "adapting" Brother Eye or Anarky. Did they even read a single comic with those characters?

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dan12456

@entropy_aegis said:
@dan12456 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Didn't say that they needed Bruce to be interesting at all,heck I find the family far more interesting these days but I still question why Arrow felt the need to take a Barbara villain and make her a Felicity villain? are there no other computer based villains? cant they make a new one? remember Brother Eye on Arrow?

The show is just obsessed with anything Batman and the sad part is that it's own original elements are far better than the Batman related concepts they use.

Even Gotham will all their access to the Batman lore still try to create new characters and push them like Fish Mooney and the Galavans,now I'm not implying they're great but it still beats Arrow "adapting" Brother Eye or Anarky. Did they even read a single comic with those characters?

You didn't respond to my point at all, I wasn't commenting on Arrow, I was commenting on Batwankers trying to claim every character as theirs. Calculator is not at all a Batman villain. Moving on.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456: Yes he's a Batman villain,he made his debut in a Batman comic and is the arch nemesis of Batgirl,more importantly he has nothing to do with Green Arrow or Felicity or Roy.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456: Yes he's a Batman villain,he made his debut in a Batman comic and is the arch nemesis of Batgirl,more importantly he has nothing to do with Green Arrow or Felicity or Roy.

You're just going in circles. My original point is that where a villain originates is irrelevant to who's rogue gallery they are in (See Kingpin, Purpleman, Blockbuster etc). Him being the arch nemesis of Batgirl hurts your point of him being a Batman villain as Batman doesn't magically get the rogues galleries of Batgirl/Nightwing etc. And your last point is irrelevant to my posts as I haven't mentioned Green Arrow etc once, if you want to discuss that, click reply on someone else's posts. Mine are about how Batman fans need to stop pretending other people's villains are his.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruhh does Arrow know any other Green Arrow villians? Like ANOTHER BATMAN VILLIAN WTF IS THIS BRO CAN'T YOU GUYS LITREALLY LOOK AT GREEN ARROW'S ROGUE GALLERY IT'S NOT THAT HARD AT ALL.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

For those who are complaining about Batman villains appearing in Arrow, give it a rest. Sheesh. It wouldn't hurt for a villain to appear in another hero's city.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#21 Icarusflies  Moderator

As one of Calculator's biggest fans I have one word: NO

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

You're just going in circles. My original point is that where a villain originates is irrelevant to who's rogue gallery they are in (See Kingpin, Purpleman, Blockbuster etc). Him being the arch nemesis of Batgirl hurts your point of him being a Batman villain as Batman doesn't magically get the rogues galleries of Batgirl/Nightwing etc. And your last point is irrelevant to my posts as I haven't mentioned Green Arrow etc once, if you want to discuss that, click reply on someone else's posts. Mine are about how Batman fans need to stop pretending other people's villains are his.

Oh really? Batman cant claim the family rogues but the family can claim his rogues? even if they fought Batman first(Jason-Joker, Damian-Talia,JPV-Bane, Lane-Dr Hurt,Stephanie Brown-Cluemaster, Tim-KG Beast,Dick Grayson-Spyral and even Two-Face ,Cass-David Cain,Barbara-Calculator,everyone-Ra's).

All these characters originated from Batman both the villains and the heroes they fight. Question is why is Arrow so hell bent on having these characters show up on their show? answer they would much rather be about Batman.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Oh really? Batman cant claim the family rogues but the family can claim his rogues? even if they fought Batman first(Jason-Joker, Damian-Talia,JPV-Bane, Lane-Dr Hurt,Stephanie Brown-Cluemaster, Tim-KG Beast,Dick Grayson-Spyral and even Two-Face ,Cass-David Cain,Barbara-Calculator,everyone-Ra's).

All these characters originated from Batman both the villains and the heroes they fight. Question is why is Arrow so hell bent on having these characters show up on their show? answer they would much rather be about Batman.

Do you have a reading comprehension issue? I don't give a shit about Arrow. None of my posts are about it. If you need someone to read my posts for you and explain what they mean to you do that.

And your first point is completely irrelevant cause I don't believe the batfam gets claim to his rogues either (if you'd been capable of understanding my posts this wouldn't surprise you). A villain can't be in two rogues galleries, whose rogues gallery they are in is determined by who the vast majority of their important stories are dealing with. Joker is NOT in Red Hoods rogue's gallery, neither is Two Face in Dick's. Similarly Spyral isn't in Batman's and Calculator isn't in Batgirls. All their important stories aren't in Batman. Calculator has been in 1, count it 1, single issue of Batman in the last 40 years! He isn't in Batman's rogues gallery. Your post is about borrowing villains for stories, completely separate issue from whose rogues gallery they belong in, but again you don't seem to understand my posts so that distinction is undoubtedly beyond you.

Anyways stopping responding to my posts, you haven't actually made responses to my arguments, you've just thrown a temper tantrum about irrelevant things, and it is annoying.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:
@entropy_aegis said:
@dan12456 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Do you have a reading comprehension issue? I don't give a shit about Arrow. None of my posts are about it. If you need someone to read my posts for you and explain what they mean to you do that.

And your first point is completely irrelevant cause I don't believe the batfam gets claim to his rogues either (if you'd been capable of understanding my posts this wouldn't surprise you). A villain can't be in two rogues galleries, whose rogues gallery they are in is determined by who the vast majority of their important stories are dealing with. Joker is NOT in Red Hoods rogue's gallery, neither is Two Face in Dick's. Similarly Spyral isn't in Batman's and Calculator isn't in Batgirls. All their important stories aren't in Batman. Calculator has been in 1, count it 1, single issue of Batman in the last 40 years! He isn't in Batman's rogues gallery. Your post is about borrowing villains for stories, completely separate issue from whose rogues gallery they belong in, but again you don't seem to understand my posts so that distinction is undoubtedly beyond you.

Anyways stopping responding to my posts, you haven't actually made responses to my arguments, you've just thrown a temper tantrum about irrelevant things, and it is annoying.

Did I touch a nerve? lol I like how you just ignored most of the villains and heroes and went with the one's like Joker and Dent because they best represented your point. Spyral was a huge part of 2 volumes of Batman Incorporated.

Please start addressing Damian -Talia,JPV-Bane,Cass-David,Steph-Cluemaster and Ra's.

Calculator is the arch enemy of a character called BATgirl.

Accusing me of my lack of comprehension? what's your issue? you're posting on a Arrow thread while claiming not to give a s#it about Arrow,Multiple personality? Cognitive Dissonance? Alzheimer?

Either way all I'm saying is that Arrow just wants to be about Batman, what would you call taking a Barbara villain and making her a Felicity villain? or Ra's al Ghul?

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: all the others you mentioned are in batman a rogues gallery only, I just didn't feel like wasting my time listing them. The rest of your post just emphasizes your reading disability, I'm assuming you didn't get someone to explain my post to you like I suggested.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:

@entropy_aegis: all the others you mentioned are in batman a rogues gallery only, I just didn't feel like wasting my time listing them. The rest of your post just emphasizes your reading disability, I'm assuming you didn't get someone to explain my post to you like I suggested.

No you cant address them that's you're dodging the question. I understood your point just fine you're saying Batman fans shouldn't claim every villain as theirs. They dont,no Bat fan has claimed Vandal Savage,Maxwell Lord,Livewire,King Shark,Atom Smasher,H.I.V.E etc. Ra's is a Bat villain,Anarky is a Bat villain,Deadshot is a Bat villain,the League are Bat villains, Calculator is a Bat family villain.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: no such thing as "bat family villain". Glad to see you've finally recognized calculator isn't a batman villain though, but are too stubborn to admit it so you made up a new term.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:

@entropy_aegis: no such thing as "bat family villain". Glad to see you've finally recognized calculator isn't a batman villain though, but are too stubborn to admit it so you made up a new term.

Ok he's a Batgirl villain,there happy still has BAT in it.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: relax, I believe what Dan was trying to say is that there is a difference between a legit rogues gallery and someone's who's been in a few issues or so. Batgirl and batman have their own individual rogues gallery, the family doesn't share it (per se) it's just that because they are so connected, that battles like Damien vs talia or ra's happen.

It's the same way that kingpin Is technically a daredevil villain but people would think of him associated to Spider-Man(like I did when I was younger).

Now to address the arrow issue, is there really a problem? I mean Arrow is basically close to the bat family anyway right? I'm not saying they can't use arrow villains but using bat villains ain't the end of the world. Look at how they handled dearhstroke in season 2, I personally loved it.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: yep that was exactly my point. I just think it's a disservice to other batfam members not to let them have their own rogues galleries.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OrangeBat
@redatom1234 said:

@entropy_aegis: relax, I believe what Dan was trying to say is that there is a difference between a legit rogues gallery and someone's who's been in a few issues or so. Batgirl and batman have their own individual rogues gallery, the family doesn't share it (per se) it's just that because they are so connected, that battles like Damien vs talia or ra's happen.

It's the same way that kingpin Is technically a daredevil villain but people would think of him associated to Spider-Man(like I did when I was younger).

Now to address the arrow issue, is there really a problem? I mean Arrow is basically close to the bat family anyway right? I'm not saying they can't use arrow villains but using bat villains ain't the end of the world. Look at how they handled dearhstroke in season 2, I personally loved it.

Yes, there is a problem. Batgirl, Nightwing, Damian etc. are connected to Batman, core part of his mythos. Green Arrow is not. Green Arrow is therefore technically stealing another mythos' villain. Batfans have every right to complain about Arrow being so goddamn weak of a show that it has to resort to stealing from Batman mythos. It's an insult to Green Arrow's villains and supporting cast that all the most major aspects of the show were cribbed from Batman (most villains) or guys like Firestorm (Felicity).

Batman has fought Count Vertigo on more occasions that Green Arrow has even seen the Calculator. Yet, Count Vertigo is a Green Arrow villains, and I would object to anyone trying to put him in a Batman show.

And Deathstroke was handled horribly. But that's par for the course for modern Deathstroke, unfortunately.

@dan12456 said:

@redatom1234: yep that was exactly my point. I just think it's a disservice to other batfam members not to let them have their own rogues galleries.

You're desperately trying to avoid admitting that the Calculator is firmly entrenched in the Batman mythos, and had less than zero association with Green Arrow before now. It's cute but very eye-roll worthy.

@ravenkingxxx said:

Two things

Barely anyone has heard of Dr. Double X outside of hardcore Batman fans. Does that justify The Flash, for example, stealing him?

...oh God, I just gave them ideas.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:

You're desperately trying to avoid admitting that the Calculator is firmly entrenched in the Batman mythos, and had less than zero association with Green Arrow before now. It's cute but very eye-roll worthy.

The reason I haven't brought it up is because I think its a perfectly valid opinion to say Arrow shouldn't use non-Green Arrow villains, I also think its fine if it doesn't bother people. I commented in response to 1 specific line in the article which wasn't about Green Arrow, so I didn't want to waste my time on an argument I don't give a shit about. Apparently people in this comment section are too dense to figure that out though without me explicitly stating it so there you go.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat: loool you know what bro? Just believe whatever you want.

The arguments kind of pointless anyways. I mean green arrow using calculator in a live action TV adaptation is a problem?

I'm sorry you didn't like deathstrokes adaptation, I thought it was prob the best villain adaptation on TV behind or near kingpin on daredevil

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.