Follow

Arrow

Series »

Thought to be dead after a catastrophe at sea, Oliver Queen returns to Starling City a changed man, determined to fight injustice as a hooded vigilante who comes to be known as The Arrow. Based on DC Comics' Green Arrow franchise.

Arrow "The Calm"

• 69 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Arrow's third season is setting a new brand stage for Starling City's heroes and this premiere episode does an excellent job balancing the theme of relationships and worldbuilding. Before we chat about the writing, plot developments and performances (in a spoiler-free way, of course), the stunts deserve recognition. Season 3 kicked off with some great displays of action. Right in the beginning we get an extended shot of Arrow leaping onto a moving truck. A shot like that could have shown one shot of Oliver jumping and then cut to another shot of him making impact, but this one didn't alter and showed us the entire deal. To top that off, the hand-to-hand sequences between Arrow and Vertigo were top notch. It's a little odd seeing this villain hold his own with someone so talented in melee combat, but that's primarily countered by the swift and brutal the choreography. Plus, there's a rather cool (pun majorly intended) display of agility with Roy towards the end. Obviously these fights aren't going to give something like The Raid a run for its money in this category, but for a TV show, it's thoroughly impressive and directed well. You can really see how much they've improved over the years with the handling of action. Oh, and thankfully Oliver uses a few trick arrows! I know the dude's a skilled fighter, but it's important to remember his primary weapon should be the bow and he has plenty of neat projectiles at his disposal. He is called Green Arrow and not Fist, after all.

So, let's talk about Olicity. People who hate the potential relationship, save yourself some stress and skip to the next paragraph, okay? Alright, now that they're gone I can spill my heart. Maybe I'm just a total sap, but I was completely absorbed whenever they talked about their situation. The tension has been building for so long and it's amazing to finally see Oliver lower his guard and explain why he has feelings for her. Honestly, it's a pretty touching conversation and, without spoiling anything, I'll just say I found their last conversation to be equally powerful. At the end of the day, it's easy for us, as viewers, to weigh the pros and cons or suggest what they should or shouldn't say. However, I think this episode did a great job humanizing both of them and showing their mixed feelings on where they stand. Just like with the stunts, you can see how much the acting has improved over the years. The chemistry is there and there's some truly heartfelt bits. While the focus is obviously on their relationship, the theme of strong connections carries through to all of the other characters. Laurel continues to be concerned about her father and embrace her new relationship with Ollie, Diggle's arc is about becoming a father (and his dynamic with Ollie), and Roy... well, I guess you could say his is about gaining Oliver's trust and respect and proving he's a key part of the team. Truth be told, Roy gets the least amount of focus in the group, but he still has a few moments to impress thanks to the action scenes. I'm sure they're saving his more compelling material for when Thea eventually emerges.

Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh) is given a thoroughly enjoyable introduction. Having another intelligent, charming, and quick-witted character helps lighten the tone and that's something this should can benefit from. The dynamic between Oliver and a majority of the characters are often taking dramatic and more serious turns, so it's delightful to see Felicity and Ray interact. Also, the presentation Ray gives offers a little serving of fan service.

The Hong Kong flashbacks gave us just enough to pique our curiosity. We know who's immediately in his world and the basics of why, but with the stakes that high, I'm sure I'm not the only one left feeling very curious and anxious to see how it'll all unfold. Having a new cast of characters (Waller aside) and an all-new location definitely is a refreshing change of pace. The theme was loosely tied in here and even alluded to in the present, but the flashbacks really didn't feel like they were there to compliment the modern narrative all that much as opposed to setting up the basics for what'll follow. That's perfectly fine seeing as this is a totally new tale.

The ending is a real jaw-dropper. It seemingly comes out of nowhere and hits you like a ton of bricks. It's handled so effectively and delivers a huge dose of emotion. Personally, I'm bummed out this happened to a certain someone and feel like they deserved better, but I see all of the potential that could come from this development and no one can honestly say they saw it coming. Still, total bummer though, isn't it? At least it's one hell of a way to introduce Komodo.

My biggest gripe is Count Vertigo's "return." Peter Stormare gives an entertaining performance, but they've basically turned the character into Scarecrow. Look, this obviously serves the theme of the episode very well (Oliver struggling with who he is), but I feel like they could have gone with a different villain instead of changing how Vertigo hinders his targets. The arrow pun didn't help my impression, but that's just one line out of the entire episode. Also, the show does a tremendous job with the stunts, but Roy randomly doing a flip in the beginning feels like it's there "just because it looks cool" as opposed to "that helped him get in place faster." Seriously, someone else saw that and thought it seemed unnecessary, right? My other minor gripe is the new situation with Quentin. The "I should be out there even though I technically shouldn't" trope hopefully won't happen very often.

Personal issues with the villain aside, "The Calm" is one of Arrow's best episodes yet. Sure, if you're against Olicity this will likely be a pain to get through, but for everyone else, it's great. You can really see how much the cast has eased into these roles and how much the writing has improved since the first season. This theme could have been full of heavy-handed scenes, but they addressed the relationships well while still moving the plot forward. "The Calm" is full of absorbing conversations, brutal hand-to-hand encounters, and a ton of setup for what's to come. Yeah, I'd say Season 3's off to a very good start! Here's hoping the rest of the season is every bit as good as this premiere.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

5 stars? I'm excited

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@saint_wildcard said:

5 stars? I'm excited

I was debating between 4 and 5 for a good amount of time. After giving it a lot of thought, I think this is one of the strongest episodes yet and I hope this level of quality keeps up for the rest of the season. Even though it's heavy on relationships, the "CW-isms" aren't in our face and the writing/performances/action have improved so much. Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

This episode was dope.

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I know Komodo won't be the same but I do hope they do the character justice, and not make him a throwaway villain.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By johnny_blaze

Just had to sneak in a Batman comparison *sighs*

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode. Brandon Routh is a great actor, loved his portrayal of Atom.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I know Komodo won't be the same but I do hope they do the character justice, and not make him a throwaway villain.

It would be a shame to throw him away after making that debut. You know, assuming that's actually him...

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

(Have it recorded,Watching it tomorrow) Excited for Ray Palmer and Roy Harper.

Avatar image for manhunter_prime
    Manhunter_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought it was cool how they connected to the Flash pilot.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By SupBatz

Fair review. I have generally no opinion of Olicity (though I really don't understand all of the hate the pairing gets around here), but I found their scenes together compelling. But honestly, I'm so tired of the "I'm a hero, so I can't be with you because it's dangerous and I have to be alone and *brood*." situation. It's common and it's frustrating and it's lazy writing. Do Olicity, or don't do it. But don't back out of it just because Ollie is a hero.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was a bit underwhelmed by Vertigo. I wanted to like the guy. But the whole fear drug bit was both common and more in line with the Scarecrow than Veritgo. Also, his introduction was very generic. I'm hoping that if he ever comes back, we get a more unique look at the character, potentially incorporating some of his Vlatavian heritage. Also, not to sound ethnocentric or anything, but he may need to tone down the accent a tad because I couldn't understand what he was saying at some points.

Laurel was good. Dig was good. Felicity was good. Ray Palmer was fun. Roy was lacking in any substantive scenes (hopefully to be remedied soon). Lance was good at first (with the embracing of the Arrow), but a bit tiresome later on (like Ollie, Quinton's current issues seem a tad on the cliche side).

The surprise ending was surprising. I was definitely caught off-guard. Looking forward to the direction that the show takes now. Though it's sad to see the character go. (S)He was one of my favorites. But it was the right time.

Overall, I think the tone was one of my favorite parts of the episode. It's nice to see a more lighthearted direction. I know it probably won't last, but it wouldn't kill the writers to tone down the melodrama more often.

Definitely looking forward to next week (THEAAAAA!!!!!). I give this one a 4/5, just because I really was turned off by Ollie's personal demons for the episode and because the new Vertigo hasn't wowed me yet. But hey, he's better than the last one, at least. Good start. Hoping for an even better continuation.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

The ending upset me, they are one of my more favorite characters not just in the show but in the comics as well.

Having said that this was a great episode to start the season. Season premieres sometimes feel cluttered as they set the stage for the rest of the season, but this one hit all the right balances.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

I really liked this episode until the last 2 minutes. That ending was not satisfying. The could have figured out a better way to get rid of sara. it just seemed very sudden. She was one of my favorite characters on the show. We couldn't they have gotten rid of Laurel instead.

I think when all is said and done-Flash will be stronger than this show this season.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great review, the best season premiere out super hero shows this year. Also my guess was that Ra's al Ghul killed him/her

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By SupBatz

Oh, and Sin better come back this season. It'd be very strange not to see her reaction to the cliffhanger.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strike 2, Katzman! I will not tolerate this Olicity madness. People should be able to have friends without sexual tension. At this rate were are likely to see "Oligle" and "Oliper" by the end of season 3. Does Oliver seriously need to sex all the people closet to him? Oliver and Felicity is unneeded sexual tension.

I don't think I will like Vertigo's new personality. I do want a group of villains who Oliver regularly fights though so I hope someone puts together an evil team that includes Vertigo, but he shouldn't be a leader.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero: Give in to the Olicity, you know you can't resist :) :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Was not ready for that ending and I'm really bummed about it. Great episode otherwise. Can't wait to see how that impacts the rest of the season. Or even the rest of the show!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#19  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

ARROW is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Arrow da best!!!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hmm, Arrow good? maybe I'll give it one last chance..... even if it did ruin Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow (yes I'm still upset about it).

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How did Captain Barbossa put it ... I feel ... nothing, for this show, Miss Turner.

Probably I'm just not pretty enough to empathize with any character.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Damn, that ending was brutal. What a bummer! I thought this was a pretty great season opener. Gotta agree with Gregg about Vertigo. I was hyped to find out Peter Stormare was stepping into the role. What a waste of a talented actor.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

He is called Green Arrow and not Fist, after all.

What would be awesome is if they introduced Jeff Lemire's Outsiders. We have Komodo coming up, so we should get all of the clans involved!

Also, regarding Sara's death, I think there's more to it than we think. Her being killed by arrows right before Komodo is to show up? Seems too obvious. I bet more likely he'll he a major force to reckon with, but not the one who killed her. Remember, Merlin and Thea are still out there.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: What makes you think it's Komodo?

Nuec_Sol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just about shat myself at that ending.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
    Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this season will help make Laurel more appealing... especially after that ending.

Very excited for the next episode!

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: yea the ending was pretty sad and I was surprised. I knew that the Canary was going to leave the show,but not so soon.I am pretty excited to whats to come,and hoping her sister becomes the Black Canary and obtains her Canary Cry,since Flash the show has opened up with the metas.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys here's a big guess but what if Roy killed her, I mean she seemed familiar with the person she saw and we still don't know what the after effects the mirakuru left on him?

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
    GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz said:

Fair review. I have generally no opinion of Olicity (though I really don't understand all of the hate the pairing gets around here)

I don't think it's so much about the specific pairing as much as it has to do with forcing Ollie to have a more-than-friends relationship with every woman in the show at one point or another.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes! Yes! Yes! I didn't even watch the episode yet but I am so happy she's finally dead!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

@supbatz said:

Fair review. I have generally no opinion of Olicity (though I really don't understand all of the hate the pairing gets around here)

I don't think it's so much about the specific pairing as much as it has to do with forcing Ollie to have a more-than-friends relationship with every woman in the show at one point or another.

I am mad due to both. Yes, Ollie has a relationship with EVERY girl that's not related to him, Sara, Laurel, Huntress, that one chick that became Ravager, now Felicity, but, the thing is, besides this episode, he treats Felicity like crap, he's constantly barking orders at her and getting all mad, she can do better.

Plus, does anyone find it ironic that he gave Felicity the standard "We can't be together, cause you'll get hurt" hero excuse, yet, Sara, who's not with him, was the one who died?

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WilliamYates8

I think the preview for next week answers who was responsible for the ending.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Did anyone notice the arrowhead at the title screen shot? Wondering if there going to adapt the Outsiders storyline, komodo being there makes it seem possible.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was Ras al ghul. I think so.

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else feel like the Count's first death resembled The Parasite?

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero: Did you see Diggle and Oliver hug? Were getting Oligle soon. I'm excited.

10/10

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys here's a big guess but what if Roy killed her, I mean she seemed familiar with the person she saw and we still don't know what the after effects the mirakuru left on him?

She said "What are you doing here?" before getting shot so it must have been someone outside of Starling.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Numbuh1Nerd

I'm not a big Olicity fan, because almost all of the chemistry is on Felicity's part and anyone who knows anything about Green Arrow knows that it won't last, as proven. Great episode nonetheless, although I do feel like turning Vertigo into Fear Gas was cheap.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By PunyParker

SO the Batman-ising continues.......

Count me in!

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda crazy that Peter Stormare is the bad guy on Arrow AND The Blacklist at the same time. Need an ominous middle-aged villain of indeterminate European origin? You know who to call.

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By redmanta

great episode

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode. It also showed one of my main problems with Olicity. Oliver never let´s go but he never goes on with the relation. Also because Oliver has to be in a romantic relation with every female friend that he has. I loved how they killed Sara, I think that it sets an interesting mistery during this first half of the season . I am waiting to see Detective Lance reaction to this and how Laurel will take the mantle of the Canary. I am very happy with Diggle his scenes were awesome, the only thing that makes me a little sad, is that we won´t see him in action as much as before but I am sure that he is going to keep giving advises to Oliver.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Was Palmer getting short with Oliver?...................................

.............................I'm sorry...............

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

what was up with that weird vaguely asian music when Sara dieD?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was ok. Fell asleep on the Flash, will have to find it online.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought the EP was really good last night.

But seeing as Ra's Al Ghul is suppose to be the main villian this season, I wasn't too shocked by Sara's death....she'll be back.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sachmoo

My wild theory was, It was Thea. But i wasn't aware Komodo was coming to the show (I couldn't resist the spoiler block).

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StarBrand1

@captainmarvel4ever:

you continue to be the most mis informed human being on earth. Lemire left the book on his OWN accord.

and arrow has BEEN great. Some people shouldnt be allowed on the internet.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@starbrand1: He says that, but I'm guessing WB/DC wouldn't let him say "They wanted to make it more like Arrow so they kicked me off". If you look at how Lemire was writing his book, and at how the first issue of Kreisberg's issue was written, it's clear this was very forced.

Also don't you have anything better to do then monitor people's comments and obsess over them?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.