inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Arrow returns to CW on Wednesday, October 7 and with it comes a different tone and a lot happening in the world of Oliver Queen. In an interview with EW, executive producer Marc Guggenheim discussed the upcoming season and what fans can expect.

Ever since Slade Wilson came to town around, the show has been on this very, very dark path, leading to Sara’s death and the culmination of season 3. Our goal was to return the show more in the tone of the first season-and-a-half.”

The show obviously won't be going the light-hearted route that The Flash has, but it won't be this dark, sometimes depressing path that the past season has been. Oliver will have a new outlook on life in the upcoming season and the team behind the show is bringing in conflict in a brand new direction. In addition, Diggle and the rest of the Arrow team have been doing a great job at keeping Star City safe up until Damien Darhk and H.I.V.E. show up.

"He’s really pure evil, and he will stop at nothing to achieve his ends. We’re gonna learn that this villain has been operating in town for the past three months. Team Arrow has basically been trying to keep [him] at bay, but then something happens in the season premiere that’s the straw that breaks the camel’s back and it prompts Laurel and Thea to go find Oliver and get him to return."

The show will go back to the idea that it's tough to be hero, as Oliver returns to his duties, according to Guggenheim. Showrunner Wendy Mericle mentioned Matt Ryan's role on the show as John Constantine and how he'll play into his guest starring role as he helps bring Sara back from the dead.

To put it bluntly, she’s more dead. We needed somebody to come in and basically resurrect her and bring her soul back. We were really thrilled that we were able to get Matt Ryan. He’s the perfect character to do it.

It seems the season will be dealing quite a bit more with magic in this season, at least for one episode. Arrow returns to CW on Wednesday, October 7.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Titanbreaker

"Our goal was to return the show more in the tone of the first season-and-a-half.”

Are they trying to imply season 1 was fun? If so Flash was a dose of Joker's gas.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@titanbreaker: they're going from super grim back to regular ole grim.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Arrow spent so much of season 3 complaining about other people trying to be heroes that I was starting to think the show forgot what it was.

Too much grim was not a good thing for this show. A moderate amount of grim is preferred.

Also, end Oliver and Felicity's relationship ASAP

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I was a worried when I heard about a lighter tone, but being like the first season is fine.

Looking forward to seeing John.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I'm sure that if you combine the lighter elements that have popped up in the last 2 seasons, (Felicity, Team Arrow's comedy, Ollie and Barry team ups, The Atom, Roy doing 4 or 5 random backflips in a fight....) with a less hopeless story arc then it would balance out with a bit higher average then the first season.

Although....If theres one thing we need more of from the first season...It's more breaking into places and shouting how someone has failed this city.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

NO! THEY HAD ONE BAD SEASON, SO I'M GONNA JUST HATE ON THE SHOW FOREVER! ALSO, FLASH IS BETTER! CAUSE I CAN'T LIKE BOTH SHOWS!! ARGH!!

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly the show and the Green Arrow comic have both been dissapointing as of late. It's probably because season 2 of Arrow was so good and Lemire's run on Green Arrow was perfect, so what came after just couldn't live up to expectations. Green Arrow is still one of my favorite characters so I have hope that things will get better soon.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO! THEY HAD ONE BAD SEASON, SO I'M GONNA JUST HATE ON THE SHOW FOREVER! ALSO, FLASH IS BETTER! CAUSE I CAN'T LIKE BOTH SHOWS!! ARGH!!

Its difficult for me to respond to your comment while I'm clapping. Bravo!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Why does everything have to have a lighter tone now?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Sadly the show and the Green Arrow comic have both been dissapointing as of late. It's probably because season 2 of Arrow was so good and Lemire's run on Green Arrow was perfect, so what came after just couldn't live up to expectations. Green Arrow is still one of my favorite characters so I have hope that things will get better soon.

Considering there has been two runs in between Lemire's and the current run

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mfundroid

Power to The Flash! Arrow needs to be less stupid this season in all honesty. Get back to its fun and interesting roots.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The tune wasn't the problem, but the bad writing and forced romance was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: After everything that the characters have been through in the last two seasons and the way season 3 ended a lighter tone is called for and if Flash has proved anything its that these writers can strikes a balance between light and real satisfying drama.

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only hope they break out in song and dance when the villain is caught.

In all seriousness, the tone isn't the issue.

Orlandozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Orlandozo

Give it Hal Jordan to Arrow season 4 and I am in

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to watch season 1 & 2 again to see what they did well because season 3 was bad. And season 4 looks meh.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I don't necessarily think the general tone of the show was the problem in season 3. The show has never been light but the first two seasons were enjoyable. The problem with season 3 was lazy and uninspired writing. They spent way too much of the season focusing on the groan worthy Olicity romance which effectively ruined Felicity's character for me. On top of that we got more Arrow ripping off Batman than ever in season 3. Plus, every opportunity for a really cool moment was ruined pretty quickly. For example, Oliver's "death" in the middle of the season and his turn to the League. Both of those things had a lot of potential to be cool but were ultimately fumbled along the way. I hope this show rebounds in a big way because my interest going into next season is to see Matt Ryan as Constantine again and has little to nothing to do with the Arrow characters.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

@titanbreaker: I think theymeant the first half of Seaosn 3 which when they say it makes sense. Except they kinda brought with it the uneven tonal qualities of the first half of season 1 as well. Where everything felt just slightly disjointed from everything enough o make you kinda go hurm.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed season 3,and was really cool to see what characters got introduced and just how well the team Arrow handled situations.It would be cool to have a lighter tone,and im all for adding Constantine in the show,and possibly have him stay ,maybe branch off and do another CW show kind of like the comic book Gotham By Midnight O.o

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm alright with this just as long as the tone doesn't go any lighter than the first season.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Look forward to this season. I didn't mind season three but agree that it wasn't the best. Hopefully this one will be better. I would be even cooler if a Green Lantern makes an appearance.

Avatar image for americanspeeddemon
americanspeeddemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@the_stegman: Firstly i do think Flash is better it has shown all the promise arrow once did and surpassed it. However i do believe the show still has a chance to come back even after the, imo, horrible season last year. This seems to be a new beginning and they seem to have taken steps to correct their course but their are still problems (read Olicity) they may not fix. Overall if the season stops being over dramatic, gets a better villain, or allows for fun and exciting action sequences it could be the best one yet.

zackattack93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOOOOOOOOOOO KEEP IT DARK. It needs to contrast the flash.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By AllStarSuperman

The returning from the dead really needs to stop in Arrow. Ollie used the pit on Thea, and now he is hiring Constantine to bring Sara back. If he is willing to do that, why doesn't he bring Tommy or his parents back. ......now that I think of it, merlyn is ras, so will Tommy come back?

archerkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By archerkid

@lurkero said:

Arrow spent so much of season 3 complaining about other people trying to be heroes that I was starting to think the show forgot what it was.

Too much grim was not a good thing for this show. A moderate amount of grim is preferred.

Also, end Oliver and Felicity's relationship ASAP

Too bad Oliver put a ring in Felicity's food.http://www.newsarama.com/25836-new-arrow-season-4-trailer-name-drops-green-arrow.html

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I'm concerned

~MiB

TheDarkPacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: i know, right? he was a killer in the first two seasons. that's as dark as it gets.

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to expect. Just a better season than 3 I'm hoping. I don't like the idea of Diggle putting on mask. Or so many people knowing Oliver's identity.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I hope really for a lighter tone. Not as The Flash [that I love], but at least more "Green" Arrow than "Batman" Arrow. But Anyway, I'm waiting for the 4th Season, yessa!

Also: please, continue the relationship between Oliver "Arrow" Queen and Felicity "Watchtower" Smoak!!! Is one of the most interesting thing of the show! Don't listend grim fans! I've loved the couple Green Arrow / Watchtower since Smallville :3

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: i know, right? he was a killer in the first two seasons. that's as dark as it gets.

Yeah right? Also did he not kill Ra's during the season 3 finale? I thought he swore off that.

Avatar image for anarrowintheheart10
anarrowintheheart10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

like!

mann808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care if it has a lighter tone or not. I just want it to have a better constructed story line. Last season was all over the place and lacked focus. They were trying to do to much all at once with Ray Palmer, The league of Assassins, Flashbacks to China, Thea and Merlyn, Roy leaving, and more. I just hope this season has more focus and a clear cut goal.

bump1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The returning from the dead really needs to stop in Arrow. Ollie used the pit on Thea, and now he is hiring Constantine to bring Sara back. If he is willing to do that, why doesn't he bring Tommy or his parents back. ......now that I think of it, merlyn is ras, so will Tommy come back?

Merlyn was against using the pit on Thea so I do doubt it. If it happens I would think it wouldn't be because of Merlyn.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.