Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By marcohtx

@docholiday said:

@handofprometheus said:

Why are you guys complaining over a character that NO ONE cared about 3 days ago........

Primarily it's because if we say "only the name matters" and a character doesn't then it gives an easement for them to basically do that with every character, it starts with a lesser known like Baron Blitzkrieg and grows into other villains and heroes.

Consider this, it's no big deal, yes? So we can simply take any character and give them any identity and just keep the name.

What if they cast Justin Long to play Static? Or James Franco to play Green Lantern John Stewart?

What show do you think you've been watching over the past couple of years. Did you have the same concern when they made Ras Al Ghul & Brick white dudes? Clearly they have taken liberties with multiple DC characters on Arrow, including race gender, and sexuality changes. We cant be selective with our outrage. Just look at Speedy. She's his freaking sister in this universe.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

@marcohtx said:

@docholiday said:

@handofprometheus said:

Why are you guys complaining over a character that NO ONE cared about 3 days ago........

Primarily it's because if we say "only the name matters" and a character doesn't then it gives an easement for them to basically do that with every character, it starts with a lesser known like Baron Blitzkrieg and grows into other villains and heroes.

Consider this, it's no big deal, yes? So we can simply take any character and give them any identity and just keep the name.

What if they cast Justin Long to play Static? Or James Franco to play Green Lantern John Stewart?

Why is this a problem now. Did you have the same concern when they made Ras Al Ghul & Brick white dudes? Clearly they have taken liberties with multiple DC characters on the CW shows. We cant be selective with our outrage. Just look at Speedy. She's his freaking sister in this universe.

I did, I just didn't have an account on this website until about a few weeks ago :P

Brick definitely feels wrong, he is a fairly major villain in DC and changing him to some British guy just feels like they're belittling the potential of any black character, equality means both good and bad are on the table. As for Rhas al Ghul, yeah, making him some white British guy was wrong.

I was upset when Bane was a white guy too, Bane is a brilliant, strong, SPANISH villain; in the animated series Antonio Banderas did the voice for him, it was amazing but then we get raspy voiced idiot who is an inch shorter than Batman but we're supposed to believe he's stronger.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

@jayc1324 said:

I like how all the comments are telling them to just make a new character. People still don't understand what an adaptation is. They take bits of the character that fit their point on the show, and use the character how they need to. If you want the same character as in the comics, then read the comics. But I am excited to see this interpretation of him. Just remember, Deathstroke on Arrow has tons of differences compared to comic Slade, but he is still awesome.

Well said.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesesticks said:

And this is why I stopped watching Arrow after season 2

I'm on the fence after season 3.

Yeah, I really think that Deathstroke and Merlyn as villain made the whole show. Now that they are not the main villain, it's just going downhill and they're trying to get villains from other heros gallery but it's failing hard. I don't think they really know what they're doing. And now Sarah's back ? Lol, they are so confuse about what to do to bring the success back to this show.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 17

so now, not only are they listening to tumblr more than us, they're hiding behind tumblr for protection whenever we have a problem

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@jayc1324 said:

I like how all the comments are telling them to just make a new character. People still don't understand what an adaptation is. They take bits of the character that fit their point on the show, and use the character how they need to. If you want the same character as in the comics, then read the comics. But I am excited to see this interpretation of him. Just remember, Deathstroke on Arrow has tons of differences compared to comic Slade, but he is still awesome.

Yeah, but there are some core concepts one should maintain. These characters from the comic books do have fans you know, and they "like" the said character for a particular set of reasons. Deathstroke was a adaptation done well, and he was utilised well in the show. However, given that some fans claim that they should have made a new character for the role they are giving Baron, it's probably because he may not fit the bill.

Taking liberties with characters is great and all, but they should at least be recognisable by the fans themselves, right? If you're gonna use the name and then throw the rest out the window, then yeah, people will have problems. Now I'm not arguing here, since I really don't care who baron is, nor do I care about arrow that much at this point to even feel bad for how things are going, but yeah, some things should not be changed. And given that Anarchy was butchered with one sentence in the previous interview,it's not surprising that people are skeptical.

Suppose we'll have to wait'n'see.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Should've been a Nazi.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Sounds like a marketing strategy... otherwise, why bringing it up?

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only recall The Baron in that Superman vs Wonder Woman large sized comic from the 70's

Avatar image for sohohibachiexpress123
Sohohibachiexpress123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Baron Bliztkrieg a freaking Wonder Woman villain? Not surprised that these people would screw him up then, look at the GA issue with Cheetah. Terrible, just terrible.

Avatar image for sohohibachiexpress123
Sohohibachiexpress123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ra's al Ghul looks about as "arab" as geoff johns, a Lebanese person, does. And you do know that bane is white, right?

Mahzian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sounds like a PR backflip to me, I have the feeling whoever made the choice to cast him for the character forgot / didn't know what Nazi's were all about. Doesn't really surprise me, watching Arrow is kind of like watching mannequins move around the room on toy train tracks, I'm boggled why so many people like it.

Toastgod77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's obviously going to be the second Deathstroke, because the idea that he's gonna be tied to Shadowspire, with Slade, and the reference to the premier that Guggenheim makes where one of the two Deathstrokes is killed and his mask is on an arrow on the beach. I'm surprised nobody put two and two together and thought this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.