Follow

Arrow

Series »

Thought to be dead after a catastrophe at sea, Oliver Queen returns to Starling City a changed man, determined to fight injustice as a hooded vigilante who comes to be known as The Arrow. Based on DC Comics' Green Arrow franchise.

Arrow Episode 408 - "Legends of Yesterday"

• 50 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Warning: This will contain spoilers for tonight's episode as well as yesterday's episode of The Flash.

No Caption Provided

This week, on Arrow, the team heads to a farmhouse, away from the city to figure out a plan of attack against Vandal Savage. Kendra starts remembering her past and a moment where Vandal Savage came to her temple. Kendra is going to get trained by Hawkman and he presents her with her helmet. Ollie heads to follow Samantha as he saw her in the coffee shop. He asks about her son and she says it's not his. Malcolm calls him and said he arranged a meeting between Arrow, Malcolm, and Savage.

During the meeting, Vandal explains that he, Kendra, and Carter are all connected. He says he wants them both or he will destroy both Flash and Arrow's cities. He tells them they have 24 hours. Oliver doesn't want to do it, but Malcolm wants to hand them over.

Barry pulls Cisco aside and tells him he "ghosted" the night before so he thinks he's going to time jump again. Diggle brings the group a tape from 1975. It's a professor that explains who Vandal Savage is but there's a way to beat him. Barry ran a DNA sequence for Oliver of his possible son's hair and the chromosomes match. Oliver approaches Samantha and she says Oliver's mother paid her to be quiet. Felicity finds out about it and confronts Oliver. Felicity leaves and Barry asks him what's wrong. Barry and Oliver head inside and establish a gameplan.

Only Flash, Arrow, Hawkgirl, and Hawkman head to meet Vandal. He plans on killing the two. He's about to do it, but Arrow intervenes. Vandal beats everyone down, then he kills both Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Barry grabs the staff and shoots Vandal. Oliver takes control and tells Barry to run. Vandal blows up the building and the city and Flash runs. As he outruns the blast, everyone is dying. Flash runs so fast, he goes back in time... back to the moment of the meeting with Malcolm and Oliver.

After the meeting, Barry and Oliver get back to the farmhouse and Barry tells him the plan doesn't work. Barry tells him Oliver's head wasn't in the game. Oliver wants to do everything differently. Oliver tells Cisco that Carter shouldn't be talking to Kendra, Cisco should be. Cisco talks to her about finding out who she is. Cisco tells her she needs to remember who she was. She remembers a moment where her and Carter were together and Vandal Savage walked in on them, during Egyptian times. Vandal kills both of them and gains his powers while meteors hit the Earth. Kendra wakes in present day and says she knows how to beat Vandal.

This time, everyone goes to the warehouse to take on Savage. Everyone is in a position hiding out though. Everyone takes on Savage and it seems to be working a little bit better. Both Oliver and Barry get the staff and blast Vandal into oblivion.

Oliver heads to Samantha's house and under her terms, he can't tell anyone. Oliver goes to talk to his son, William, but he can't tell William he's his father. William loves the Flash so they play action figures. Oliver has to be Captain Cold.

Back at the warehouse, Malcolm collect's Savage's ashes. The end.

No Caption Provided

Vandal Savage has been destroyed, or has he? Viewers are treated to some pretty fantastic fight sequences in this episode and one of them involved everyone dying. Luckily, Flash has the ability which he has to use very sparingly, to travel back in time, resetting everything. It's a nice reminder that Barry is extremely powerful, but good-hearted, so he only uses his powers with great responsibility. That last fight was pretty fantastic as well as we got to see all the heroes of the CWverse teaming up to beat down Vandal.

Here's the thing with that though. That final fight ending was extremely anti-climactic. I kept saying to myself "that's it?" as it moved to the next scene. It felt like it was too easy and the whole final battle was a little bit of a letdown.

And what's going on with Malcolm? He's the most Snidely Whiplash character on television. The moment he starts putting Vandal's ashes into the pouch, I expected him to grow a long mustache, which he would twirl, or a maniacal laugh. I like the idea of Vandal coming back in present day, but that last scene left a sour taste in my mouth.

Oliver confronting Samantha was a terrible idea. Vandal Savage threatened those closest to the heroes and Oliver heads off to find out more about his son. It seems like the biggest foreshadowing moment in the episode. However, it actually played out extremely well and threw me through a loop. It became a nice side piece for this story and a bit of a break from the "how do we stop Vandal Savage" story.

Once again, the highlight of this episode, much like last night's episode of The Flash was the dynamic between Oliver and Barry. That's really what makes these crossovers so great. We have two well-established heroes who do their crime fighting in two very different ways. They also have two very distinct personalities. They work really well together, even if they don't agree on the best plans of attack. The same could be said for their secondary team, which many mirror each other in certain ways, like Felicity and Cisco, but they all have their significant place on the team. The only downside to all of this is that there were so many people on these teams, that a few never really got their time to shine on screen.

Overall, this was a solid crossover for 2015. It wasn't as great as last year's crossover, but it was a blast seeing these two teams work together. Vandal Savage was an impressive character and Casper Crump nails the role, but the whole story line with him felt a tad anti-climactic. However, these two episodes are all really just a lead-in to the upcoming Legends of Tomorrow series. Imagine, if everything lines up, how amazing next year's crossover could be with all three series. Anyway, this was a solid two-part crossover that was a ton of fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
    deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can't wait to watch it on Hulu tomorrow.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By KEROGA
    No Caption Provided

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keroga said:
    No Caption Provided

nope creaters said Connor Hawke will be black and not related to oliver when he becomes future green arrow in Legends of Tommorow , but I feel they're lying

archerkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does everyone hate on Oliver in Arrow?Like can he ever get a break from someone yelling in his ear?

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I though Hawkman would be................TALLER!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

I like the Age of Ultron reference.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd give the two-part crossover episodes 3 stars, cause it could have been so much better.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad L.o.T is almost here so we can finally get into the main plots for Arrow and Flash, more so for Flash however.

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By worldFlash

Few questions, why did they need to bring Vandal Savage into this? I know he is one of the main baddies in the Heroes of Tomorrow spin off, but couldn't they just add him into the story then? Also, what was the point of changing Oliver's sons name to William from Conner, it makes no sense to me?

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I loved when Thea said that line,I was the only one who got the joke in my house

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator
    fustacluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@worldflash said:

what was the point of changing Oliver's sons name to William from Conner, it makes no sense to me?

How do you know he doesn't have another son at some point? How do you know William survives the season (we still haven't seen whose grave Ollie was standing at when the season started)?

Pretty dark idea, I know, but Ollie was angry enough to kill again and that would send me a bit murderous.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was one of my fav arrowverse episodes ever. I enjoyed it much more than last night, which I also liked.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By strangetales

Time travel, yeah!

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This was awesome!

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saving both episodes for the weekend. Is Savage menacing/intimidating enough?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Looks like Savage retains his power of non sense illogicity here too,at least they're accurate. The Felicity pandering has gone off the rails,someone needs to rip her head off fast.Thank goodness the mother isn't Talia and the boy not Damian.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bflynn316

So....is Malcolm a good guy or a bad guy? I can't tell anymore, but I kinda like it.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

These abrupt character exits are certainly getting tiresome. Seems that everybody in LoT needs to exit Flash/Arrow in the more bizarre, anti-climactic way possible.

Aaaand, once again time travel is a fix-all solution. Woohoo.

And Felicity...dear God... Why can't the writers find an organic way to make Felicity angry with Oliver instead of having her blow literally EVERYTHING out of proportion all the time? It's a shame that she can be so likable when she's in a good mood, and so hateable when she's angry. A strong character should be interesting either way.

And don't get me started on Merlyn.

But hey, at least Kendra got a bit more actual development this episode, which was a nice change from the Flash portion of the crossover.

dbullo22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dbullo22

Black people in egypt... 5/5

RavenKingXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@supbatz: of course time travel is a fix all problems solution. It's time travel. Are you telling me that if something bad happened and you went back I time, you wouldn't try and change the future.

So am I the only one who kinda thinks William is going to come into play with Oliver's political career. It be like he went to see William, and a reporter followed him and found out and put it in the newspaper. Personally I feel like that would be a great way for felicity to find out about William.

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems to me in both episodes that the writers are trying to make Barry the "Jokey Version" all of a sudden from the Justice League Unlimited Cartoon. It's definitely out of character for the CW Version and every time he randomly says' something so goofy, it throws me off of the show minutes at a time. Still, awesome Eps'.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
    IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IndomitableRegal

I'd give the overall crossover event 3.5/5 stars. They were good, but could've been better. I hated how much Felicity blew up when Oliver just found out he had a 9 year old son. He didn't even have time to process it and I'd say he was pretty justified in not divulging that info the same day he confirmed it, especially given Samantha's ultimatum (which I actually felt was unfair; why can't he let the woman he's with know he has a son?). And am I mistaken, or did she refer to his son as Connor (not William) in the last season? Anyway, I also found it weird that Barry told Oliver that he and Felicity break up because he lies about his son, and when she asks, he does it again.

Apart from all that, things were a bit jumpy at times, some characters lost focus, Cisco can't catch a break (and also should've revealed what he "vibed" in the first place), and they made Wells casually walk towards a police office with the clear intention to shoot. I'm not quite understanding Jay Garrick's disdain for Velocity 6 because Caitlin and Harrison's science seems solid and it worked when Jay took it. To touch on Cisco a bit more, it was just lazy to have him so easily slip up with Barry's identity, but at least his dialogue was as good as usual (e.g "So you're 0 for 206 and you still think you're her best bet, hmm?"). Also, Merlyn magically pops out of nowhere to give information, but I'm excusing this because it's Malcolm Merlyn and by now we should all know he always has ulterior motives (proven by the final scene).

The fight scenes were good, and I loved the Egypt flashbacks. I think Barry and Ollie work well together, though I would've liked to see Ollie bust out some trick arrows against Savage. Speaking of arrows, I guess we'll just ignore Thea going for a kill shot. Still speaking of arrows, the magnetic arrow. Cool. What was their plan with Darhk though, because it looked like he was about to kill Oliver if not for Barry. I liked the development for Kendra and Carter, and Vandal Savage was a very effective villain. I'm curious to see where the whole William side story goes. I'm also hoping that this is the point where they finally just tell Patty what's really going on, especially since Joe told her to leave the room, and she didn't return for the rest of the crossover.

Aaaaannd, I think that's it. I guess I'm done.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the hawk people look funny

Nightwing128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AoU Reference...I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE XD

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@supbatz: of course time travel is a fix all problems solution. It's time travel. Are you telling me that if something bad happened and you went back I time, you wouldn't try and change the future.

So am I the only one who kinda thinks William is going to come into play with Oliver's political career. It be like he went to see William, and a reporter followed him and found out and put it in the newspaper. Personally I feel like that would be a great way for felicity to find out about William.

I'm not saying that the use of time travel is illogical for the characters. I'm saying that it's a tricky narrative technique that, when not employed with care, can reduce the stakes of the show in a very detrimental way if used too freely.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How did they get wings?

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was... OK. Sorry, but for me, the episode was ruined the minute we saw Barry was going to go back in time. At that moment i knew they were gonna lose, people are gonna die, and Barry just undoes it. That immediately erased all tension. Felt like i was watching an empty episode. We got a beginning, then the middle literally didn't even happen, and a conclusion.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, is Vandal Savage cromagnon and 50 000 years old or he is few thousand years old and egyptian priest?

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fustacluck: This is the same mother from the comics, right? I mean they used Conners mother from the comics, so why wouldn't this be Conner? Besides we've seen them change characters names for reason already.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

AoU Reference...I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE XD

Pretty clever

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mutant God

@bigcimmerian said:

So, is Vandal Savage cromagnon and 50 000 years old or he is few thousand years old and egyptian priest?

Hes a caveman in the comics and an egyptian priest on the show

Avatar image for nightwing_grayson
    Nightwing_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anybody think "Jurgens Industrial" is a reference to Dan Jurgens?

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian said:

Hes a caveman in the comics and an egyptian priest on the show

So, they butchered another great comic book character.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hawkman is ugly and why didn't they cast someone more ethnic looking? It didn't bother me in the first part of the crossover, but now it is starting to bug me. If they don't focus so much on the Egyptian stuff it will bother me a lot less. But, every time they brought up Egypt I cringe when I look at Hawkman.

Oliver's son is clearly going to die. I don't even feel the need to use spoiler blocks because the writing is on the wall.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

Hawkman is ugly and why didn't they cast someone more ethnic looking? It didn't bother me in the first part of the crossover, but now it is starting to bug me. If they don't focus so much on the Egyptian stuff it will bother me a lot less. But, every time they brought up Egypt I cringe when I look at Hawkman.

Oliver's son is clearly going to die. I don't even feel the need to use spoiler blocks because the writing is on the wall.

ethnic looking? carter hall has always had a white skin color whereas Shayera hol/ Shiera Hall/ Kendra Saunders always had an Egyptian / lightskin skin color , have watched a JL unlimited , smallville or read his comics , he has always been white , don't come surprised the fact he is white again lmao

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason the final fight looked so easy is because normally Barry doesn't use his power the way he should (effective).

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mickey-mouse

@birdman400: When was hawkman created? (Probably 40's, 50's, or 60's right?) Back when it was OK, for pure white looking guys to play Egyptians. Anyway in many/most of the Hawkman stories they are from planet Thanagar and aren't actually Egyptian, but worshiped as as ancient gods/rulers(Stop me if I am wrong here).

Side Note: Is it that hard to use periods and commas in your sentences?

In Justice League Unlimted they were aliens, so him being white didn't matter since they were not actually Egyptian.

PS: I wouldn't bring up Smallville's version of Hawkman as a shining example of how to do things right, because Smallville was awful and their versions of Deathstroke & Brainiac were downright embarrassing.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

much better than the Flash part.

TubbyLumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ips: Yeah i think so to

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@birdman400: When was hawkman created? (Probably 40's, 50's, or 60's right?) Back when it was OK, for pure white looking guys to play Egyptians. Anyway in many/most of the Hawkman stories they are from planet Thanagar and aren't actually Egyptian, but worshiped as as ancient gods/rulers(Stop me if I am wrong here).

Side Note: Is it that hard to use periods and commas in your sentences?

In Justice League Unlimted they were aliens, so him being white didn't matter since they were not actually Egyptian.

PS: I wouldn't bring up Smallville's version of Hawkman as a shining example of how to do things right, because Smallville was awful and their versions of Deathstroke & Brainiac were downright embarrassing.

Thanagarians didn't really worship gods , but they felt connections to Hawks were vital in their society . Hawkman and Hawkgirl were the one the first to come to Earth in a looooooooong time , they decided to blend in and Egypt was the perfect place to blend in , they posed as Egyptians kinda

JL Unlimited had them from Egypt my man lmao

Avatar image for americanspeeddemon
    americanspeeddemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@lukehero: brainiac wasn't too bad way better than doomsday imo.

fustacluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fustacluck

@worldflash: I don't know, honestly, I was just putting it out there as a possibility. I haven't really followed Green Arrow in the comics since the hard travelling heroes of old (and my memories of those comics are spotty at best). I have read since my post an interview with Berlanti, Guggenheim and Kreisberg that they didn't call him Connor because they didn't want to restrict themselves, and the character, for future storylines. Makes sense, as they're building their own mythology (it says BASED on the DC comics characters, after all) and so long as they stay true to the essence of the characters I don't mind them changing details, as it keeps it fresh for me. I like being surprised.

My original post wasn't meant to be combative (I honestly apologise if it came off that way), it just occurred to me that if Ollie is thinking of returning to killing, it has to be someone close to him. I definitely think it won't be Felicity (sorry, Felicity-haters) because she's too big a part of the show and they signalled it a bit too heavily in the episode. Same with Digs. Thea has already died once and it would be too soon to do so again and make it impactful. Don't think it would be Laurel, as I can still see Ollie ending up with her (Berlanti's had his main characters in previous shows be with the perfect partner for a while before they end up with the imperfect partner with whom they're meant to be, and I can't see why that couldn't happen again especially since "secrets are a bad thing" recurs throughout his work and is a rule of thumb in the DCWniverse), and I can't imagine they'd kill her off when fans are now starting to thaw a bit to her character. They could bring back Roy and kill him, but that would be a wasted opportunity (not to mention Arsenal fans would probably lose their shit) and anyone with links to Legends isn't going anywhere.

So, for me that leaves William and his mother. If the mother was killed I could see him being upset, and it would be a good way to get the kid under his wing, and he'd probably want to exact some sort of justice, but murderous? And if someone (I can't remember if he actually named Darhk at the graveside) killed the deceased to get at Ollie, why would they choose her? William just makes sense to me. As I said, though, it'd be pretty dark, so who knows? With either of those options it also creates a lot of drama between Ollie and Felicity, particularly if the kid is still secret.

I guess what I'm saying is that based on the past three and a half seasons, assuming that they are going to follow comics to the letter is only going to end in disappointment (not to mention impossible given the amount of changes to the mythologies of pretty much every comic character over the decades). For me that's not a bad thing, and I've enjoyed the ride so far (it's resulted in some of my favourite TV ever), so I trust in the future of this universe while it's in the hands of BGK.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pelykan said:

The reason the final fight looked so easy is because normally Barry doesn't use his power the way he should (effective).

Comment of the day. If Flash ever used his powers as efficiently as they could be then almost everything would be easy to him. The problem would be neutralized before anyone realizes Flash is in the room.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By GalacticFork

I wasn't especially enamored with this episode. But eh. It was basically a pre-pilot for Legends of Tomorrow, so whatever. A few things really stood out to me:

• The Captain Cold action figure! What the heck? So a company in Central City manufactures an action figure of an active and dangerous real life criminal?
    • Barry robbed a museum...
    • Barry ran to Keystone city, robbed said museum, and was back in maybe 3 seconds. Now unless Keystone city overlaps with Central City, he was moving much faster than mach 2.
    • Cisco once again just magicks up a device overnight.
    • I'm tired of the whole "I don't wanna make things worse" with regards to time travel... Previously it was a tidal wave destroying the city, and now magic blue disintegration wave. Really Barry? What's going to be worse than that?
    • Hawkman was a pushy jerk.

Edit: Huh... after looking it up, he can get less than half a mile in a second at mach 2.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Anyone else notice the escaping pony in the background?
    Anyone else notice the escaping pony in the background?

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By asjmooney

Felicity flipping out with Oliver made me not like her for the first time.

I don't blame her I blame bad writing.

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fustacluck: There is no need to apologize, it's not a bad thing to be combative, and besides I didn't take it that way. I still don't see how the name Conner would make the character restrictive, but the name doesn't matter that much.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wish Williams mother was something other than white considering conner hawk is black and Japanese too.

The white Egyptians bothered me too. At the very least they could have had two different actors play the parts of their first lives and them anything else goes.

Felicity and Williams mom were tripping in this episode.. who does that?

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really enjoyed crossover and I really enjoyed Arrow. Arrow is one of my favorite shows on right now. It's in the top 5 of my favorite shows on right now. One thing that bothered me in the episode was that Oliver didn't tell Felicity that he has a kid he just found about after the time travel. Also Malcolm you ass collecting Vandal Savage like that. He's the reason everybody get's screwed in the future. Thanks Malcolm!
    Overall I really enjoyed the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.