Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@vitalius
said:

It was solid episode

but i have 4 negative points

1- Flashback was kind weak to the plot

2- Arrow crossing the line of Batman again

3- I wouldnt be suprised if they only changed Blue Bettle and Ted Kord to The Atom and Ray Palmer in script. There is lot shades of Ted Kord.

4- Black Canary getting her ass kicked again.

that's exactly what happened in #3 - producers already stated that they had originally intended for ted kord. i think kord industries was shown in an earlier episode. but DC had "other plans" for the character so last minute, they swapped him out for ray

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/green_arrow/arrow/news/?a=104438

i was really excited because i love both ted and ray. i even accepted the idea of them being fused as one character but it's not really living up to my expectations just yet. but you nailed it.

Deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The ending had me like

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lol, I missed this episode. Thought it was on break like Flash. Glad I missed it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Yup lets still keep pretending that Arrow isn't a Batman ripoff at all(sarcasm), Guggenheim even outright called GA a ripoff, this is blatantly insulting Green Arrow.

The writing was hilariously bad in this episode,why does Ra's even want him to be his heir? he just met the guy.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@lukehero said:

You know I'm not remotely joking when I say this. I could see Ollie taking the position as the new Ras & then be attacked by Bane in season 4 who feels like he should be the true successor.

But before that Ollie will be drug raped by Nyssa who will then go to give birth to Damian Queen, Slade will paralyse Felicity Smoak and kill Roy Harper with a crowbar.

@lukehero said:

You know I'm not remotely joking when I say this. I could see Ollie taking the position as the new Ras & then be attacked by Bane in season 4 who feels like he should be the true successor.

Bane Bane?! Like legit Bane? That would be cool. I find it ridiculous that Flash creators were allegedly fighting to have Bane on their show. That would be beyond silly.

This show has been ok this season...I am not remotely interested in the Flashbacks.

Wait what? do you have a link?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 rogueshadow  Moderator
  • Merlyn lost to Nyssa this episode, Slade couldn't even beat Ollie and Thea last episode... what's happening?
  • Laurel's still a complete moron, what does she actually want? Would she just f*cking decide?
  • Thea telling half the story to Nyssa was contrived.
  • Crappy dialogue throughout 'I can't remember my sister's smile.' Stahp...
  • Oliver's reason for saving Malcolm was contrived.
  • Lyla's reasoning for telling Diggle to go was contrived,
  • The actor who plays Maseo's kid is painfully bad.
  • Flashbacks were boring.
  • After all that, Merlyn was just a little b*tch? What?
  • The show has gone too far now. Oliver is not the heir of Ra's Al Ghul, he just isn't, this is almost as bad as making him the Joker's arch nemesis. It's too much.

I don't like to complain about the acting, it's never been good bar a few performances, but it is more difficult to allow for now when everything else is so bad, the writing isn't helping them I'm sure.

Seriously, this is just episode after episode of complete garbage now in my opinion, I used to really enjoy Arrow too :/

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nice review as always , Greg

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#58  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Expanded thoughts on the ending:

I get why they're doing this but I don't like it. Ra's sees potential in Oliver -- he lasted longer than most in combat (despite fighting like a flailing fool), recovered from it, came back to face Ra's and kept his composure when he was captured vs. Malcolm who totally broke down and begged for his life. Ra's sees potential there, but to make this offer that soon? If anything, he'd view Oliver as a guy who doesn't know when to quit and think he isn't aware of when he's outclassed. What's the rush? It's been established Ra's has been around since at least the mid-1800s (or at least I think that was the year dropped), so this decision feels completely rushed and undeserved. When Ra's expressed interest in people like Batman, it's because they're formidable, driven and brilliant. All he's really seen from Ollie is his drive and I don't think that's nearly enough to jump to this proposal.

Oh, and I forgot to mention it in the review, but when did Roy get such a nice car and how'd he afford it? Was it a gift from Thea back when they were dating or something?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the handling of the melee fights between skilled characters was odd.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: 1854 was the year but where was the Bobba Fett reference?

Kyle_Dornez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Kyle_Dornez

@vitalius said:

3- I wouldnt be suprised if they only changed Blue Bettle and Ted Kord to The Atom and Ray Palmer in script. There is lot shades of Ted Kord.

Actually this makes a huge amount of sense. I'll write this down as my new headcanon.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: 1854 was the year but where was the Bobba Fett reference?

Roy said that's what he bought the kid for christmas. Or at least I could have sworn he said it was a Boba Fett figure.

Renzoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

atom's suit not a rip off of iron more like robocop 2014

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the first episode where Laurel made the most sense.

Oliver has apparently given up on his no killing rule as he just lets Diggle use an assault rifle on the League's henchman. Which means at least a dozen or so people have been killed in order to save another murderer so his sister can feel better about her murdering father being free to go where he pleases...

He is now also capable of throwing darts or crossbow bolts, whatever they are, around a corner. And he is throwing them straight into the necks risking hitting a major artery and having them bleed to death.

And he has given up his morals for what? Not his sister but his pride.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By GalacticFork
@rogueshadow said:
  • Merlyn lost to Nyssa this episode, Slade couldn't even beat Ollie and Thea last episode... what's happening?
  • Laurel's still a complete moron, what does she actually want? Would she just f*cking decide?
  • Thea telling half the story to Nyssa was contrived.
  • Crappy dialogue throughout 'I can't remember my sister's smile.' Stahp...
  • Oliver's reason for saving Malcolm was contrived.
  • Lyla's reasoning for telling Diggle to go was contrived,
  • The actor who plays Maseo's kid is painfully bad.
  • Flashbacks were boring.
  • After all that, Merlyn was just a little b*tch? What?
  • The show has gone too far now. Oliver is not the heir of Ra's Al Ghul, he just isn't, this is almost as bad as making him the Joker's arch nemesis. It's too much.
  • I agree. Slade can kinda be explained by lack of training for a while, so some rust is believable, but Merlyn was taken down too easily. And he shoulda been able to do better against the red shirts trying to take him to the helicopter.
  • I'm not sure what you mean here. I thought Laurel made the most sense this episode.
  • Eh, she's trying to kill herself?
  • I disagree here, I thought the whole bit with Laurel was pretty good. Forgetting aspects of a loved one after they die does bring about a lot of guilt and stress. I think it's a bit soon, but there's a whole lot of weirdness with Sara cause she died twice. I really didn't get Nyssa's story about Sara laughing at the demonstration Ra's gave. That was all kinda nonsense.
  • Yeah. And I'd think Merlyn would be a bigger hit to Oliver's pride than Ra's. Ra's is more of a force of nature than a person, but Merlyn is more down to Earth. Oliver is able to thwart him, but not really beat him.
  • Actually it makes sense. I'm sure she lost people she feels she could've saved if she'd been there for backup, and she knew what he went through when Oliver was gone. I think she's just the character type to tell him to go.
  • Yeah, but he's a kid. What can you do?
  • Yeah. And they're just there. They used to nicely intertwine with the current story.
  • Considering the lengths he went to keep free of Ra's, he really didn't want to be caught. He's obviously freaking afraid of him. Many of Merlyn's actions are all about fear and pain, him breaking down makes sense. I think it says more about Oliver and his stupid death-wish than Merlyn.
  • Definitely. The Batmanization of Oliver has always bugged me, but it's getting silly. We already have Vertigo becoming Scarecrow Light. To make it worse... if Oliver refuses, that makes Batman Ra's's(?) second choice. Ugh.

This may be just me, but sometimes I can't buy Oliver when he's being especially dark and broody. He's too pretty to really pull it off. Especially his eyes.

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RiP

Batman

~ ~^~ ~

Was replaced by Arrow.

l___________________l

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By strangetales

I didnt really believe Ras wanting Oliver to replace him. Unless its because of his apparently incredible durability and his irrational stubbornness which made him go back.

At least with Batman he has impeccably strong character (which Oliver does too but he as I said is irrationally stubborn whereas Bruce is much more righteous), has way more training and skill and a genius intellect. Its something to admire, I can see why Ras would

That being said I had fun watching this episode

Good review.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep wanting to sit down and catch up on this show. But every time I try I end up watching the Flash.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By IndomitableRegal

I'm not 100% on how I feel about this season. I still like the show, I have no problem saying that. However, some of the decisions have just been...odd. Maybe because this is the first season I've been actually reading reviews to the episode, or maybe because they've gotten lazier(?) creatively. Maybe it's because of all the concepts and characters they've blatantly taken from Batman. Still:

-As much as Laurel's improved, her character has gone from downright unbearable to tolerably unlikable.

-Merlyn never struck me as someone that would get beat so easily by Nyssa, or beg for his life the way he did (I'm striking those moments from the records because both are out of character).

-Felicity...what have they done to you? For the record, yes: I'm pro-Ollicity. But her being with Ray is far from my current issue with her character. It's like they sacrificed her to concentrate on Laurel and...

-Thea. So far, she's in the running for the most likable character this season.

-Am I the only person that doesn't view Ollie as a tyrant? To be honest, I think he's been fairly rational. I had no problem when he "barked" at Thea to go upstairs. You know, since Laurel was having uncontrollable convulsions and had been beaten half to death. And that's where Roy jumps in with some stupid line about "You're not the only one that can protect her". But...

-Other than a few moments, Roy has been pretty likable as well.

-Diggle is Diggle. Carry on.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

as soon as I saw Ra's saying it I was thinking

No Caption Provided

Rogo616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 76

Didnt know iron man was a dc property

Avatar image for anarrowintheheart10
anarrowintheheart10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicsbornandbred: u simply not getting that in the arrow tv-verse the arrow is basically batman, i know it sounds like blasphemy but when u think about dc is turning green arrow into the batman tv verse because doing a batman live tv show wont do the character justice he is just to big, its like on smallville when they introduced oliver queen, the producers actually said they first thought on doing a young bruce wayne, but decided on doing a similar character instead.

Avatar image for comicsbornandbred
ComicsBornAndBred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anarrowintheheart10: oh no I get it and it's not attractive at all. Settle for second best when you can't get batman. I get he's so big he's meant for a cinematic stage BUT...if Marvel can give us DD, why can't dc give us batman?? Go the premium route or the stream route for a bigger budget. I'm mad that they just haven't tried. They've done superman. In a way with smallville....or how about just embracing green arrow and his good mythology. The Jeff Lemire run proves green arrow and his world is interesting all on its own. Wish the show writers knew this. You don't need to make him a batman gimmick or copy

anarrowintheheart10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicsbornandbred: i agree with u on the netflix way for bats that could be awesome but before the jeff lemire run, they were two maybe three good GA storylines (longbow hunters and quiver) but u are forgetting that they basically gave us green arrow year one in the first season's flashback, and they probably said that to general viewers not die-hards comicbooks fans like us, using big batman stories would more appealing, and i really like that the relationship between flash and arrow mirrors the superman-batman relationship in the comics.

anarrowintheheart10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for comicsbornandbred
ComicsBornAndBred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anarrowintheheart10: ye man Netflix or HBO or something. I like the flash arrow relationship too but green arrow being like bars undermines his own value as his own characer and enforces the thought that he always needs to be like batman. It's like when kevin smith wrote a lime in the QUIVER storyline where batman asks green arrow has "he ever had an original idea" after bats sees his arrowcave, arrowcar, ad arrow plane. You're right longbow hunters and year o e are great GA stories. It sucks when I see arrow getting made fun of for stealing from bats. Arrow the show and it's writers are hurting the character as much as theyre helping him by using Batman's mythology and what not. But dude, I agree, I know they prob think the batman stories are more appealing to general viewers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 17

#76  Edited By amazing_webhead

Ray: "I promised myself I would never feel helpless again" Is he talking about his girlfriend dying of when he got beat up like a p*$$y by Luthor's goons in "Superman Returns"? (Also, "yeah, I can fly")

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Koays

Let it go bat fans....

Let us not act like the power structure in the league of assassins has ever really made sense. A lot of people haven been offered the role of successor that have made very little sense, this may as well be straight out the comics.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#79  Edited By The Impersonator

It was a good episode. But John and Oliver taking down the League of Assassins was funny. The assassins were supposed to be well-trained.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone please kill Felicity. Everytime she opens her mouth I want Slade to just come in and punch her in the face, i get that she's supposed to be Arrow's Chloe, but at least Chloe was bearable to watch, Felicity now is just outright annoying. As for the ending, have any of you ever thought that maybe Ra's was the one who had Maseo "secretly" heal ollie because of the courage and potential he saw when they fought? At least that's what I feel anyway

dppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordOfSins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be fun if Ra's will give a nod or just a hint that he originally wanted a dark knight (Batman) to be his successor. And that knight turned him down because that knight is a good one, while Oliver however has much potential for he know what it's like to kill someone.

demoui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What' with all the hate about "Arrow is ripping off Batman"? How can DC rip-off DC? I liked the ending, and I love the show. It keeps me guessing. Who knows why Ra's asked Ollie to replace him?

And you guys keep moaning about this is Batman's storyline, well Batman doesn't exist (yet?) in this universe. Maybe if he existed he comes after Arrow and maybe Ra's offers the same to him.

And seriously chill the f*** out about Batman. He is like my 2nd favourite 'super'hero but all this popularity has actually made me like him less and less. Batman can go and try fighting the Man of Steel in the movies, TV is all about the goddamned ARROW. See what I did there?

I'm off.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Problems with this episode:
-Laurel calling her dad after a week (girl, you lied to him and pretended to be his dead daughter in order to keep him calm, it's way too soon)

-Oliver defending someone like Merlin makes no sense. Even if he's Thea's dad, he's a bad guy. He's a guy who tried to murder half the city in the first season. Also he manipulated her into killing Sarah. Seriously, at this point that any of the characters give a fuck about what happens to Merlin just makes no sense at all, and being Oliver the one who seems to care the most makes even less sense. Everyone's saying like "yeah I understand why you do it because you want to protect your sister" but even that's not a good excuse I mean, HE'S BAD, HE MANIPULATE HER. And she didn't even knew he was her dad until last year. Seriously, she's not going to have that much regret.
-Is Ras immortal or is Ras Al Ghul just a title? Because for Ras's lines it seems he's immortal but for what happens at the end it seems it's just a title. I'm really confused now. Also, seriously? offering the title to Oliver based on what? You kicked his ass in your first meeting and he fell into a trap the second time you met. What's what makes him so special?

-This show keeps being directed and edited by morons. Seriously, it's imposible to figure out how much time happens in one episode. For example, in this one, in the first scene we see Nyssa (or whatever her name is) talking to her dad in Nanda Parbat. Next we go to Starling City and in what it seems to be just one day (because there's no clue that indicates otherwise) we see Thea training, talking to Roy, talking to Laurel and then calling the League (including Nyssa) who happen to be in the city, although it's not made clear when they got there. So my guess is that either Nanda Parbat is in the US and not that far away from Starling City (since they travel in helicopter -and I'm not sure you can go from America to another continent, like Asia, where I thought Nanda Parbat was in helicopter) or, as always, the people behind this show don't really give a fuck about narrative and movie rules.
-So Atom here is basically Iron Man then?

-Does anyone really care about what's going on in the Flashbacks anymore?
-I couldn't care less about Felicity and Brandon Routh.
-It's painfully obvious what's going to happen with Thea now.

-Why is Roy still in the show?

-What the hell was Laurel trying to do against Merlin? I know she hates him but seriously, MASTER ASSASIN against a woman who has gotten her ass kicked by regular gang members. It's not being passionate about your revenge, it's being plain and simple stupid.

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Really nice episode for the secondary characters who have been missing a bit, like Digg and Felicity. I like her way better with Ray than Oliver. I don't see why the Atom suit flies through. I was kind of expecting it to shrink?

But man, Oliver makes lots of dumb decisions. It's like every time something would make 100% sense, he decides to do the opposite. Merlin kills 500 people, is basically responsible for his parents' deaths, and makes his sister kill his girlfriend, but he needs to keep him around so he can help fight the League. Wellllllll.....OK. But, the whole League thing is no longer an issue, so now Oliver will try to get justice right? Nah, let's just make a new random reason for Oliver to protect him. I was glad some of the characters called him on that.

Also, what exactly is their official morals about killing now? Can't kill Deathstroke, because that's wrong, right? But it's plenty fine to kill tons of assassins on the way the their headquarters, because...something?

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

it works a lot better if you imagine that it's not the League of Assassins but instead the Outsiders, then it's straight out of the comics

anarrowintheheart10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.