Follow

Arrow

Series »

Thought to be dead after a catastrophe at sea, Oliver Queen returns to Starling City a changed man, determined to fight injustice as a hooded vigilante who comes to be known as The Arrow. Based on DC Comics' Green Arrow franchise.

Analyzing Arrow Season 3

• 51 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

We're way into the third season ofArrow and honestly, it has been a pretty mixed ride. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the show and I look forward to watching it every Wednesday night, but it seems like this season has been a polarizing one for fans and it's easy to understand why. So, let's take some time to get brutally honest and discuss Arrow's latest journey.

This article is assuming you're current with the show. So yeah, there's obviously spoilers in here.

No Caption Provided

First up, let's talk about Thea's arc. But before we move forward, I just have to point out a personal gripe with her story: it bothers me they masked her voice in the season's first episode. During Sara's death, you can hear the killer is using a voice modifier. Obviously, that's in place just to help keep us guessing about who killed Sara. However, when it's revealed Thea's the murderer, there's no logical reason behind her using a voice modifier and it seems like that element was just dropped. Anyway, that's an incredibly small point but it's one that I had to get off my chest. Despite that nitpick, Thea's been one of the highlights this season.

Watching Thea grow from an immature spoiled kid to a professional person and then to a professional and mature badass has been quite a ride. She's surrounded by people who lie and often blow up whenever there's bad news, yet she's been pretty rational about all of the craziness that's going on around her. Yes, her leap forward in skill may seem a little swift to us, but it's important to remember she spent a good chunk of time being harshly trained by her father, Malcolm Merlyn. Besides, it's not like she's suddenly Lady Shiva. She has what it takes to hold her own, but the season made it crystal clear she'd stand no chance against Oliver. (Also, she hit Deathstroke in the back with a log, so let's not jump to conclusions and imply she beat him in a fair fight, okay?) Sure, it's a little surprising she changed her opinion of Malcolm faster than someone can say "Can we please start calling him Green Arrow now?" but it's still an understandable direction for her. Think about all of the revelations she's had and all that she's been through. To then find out this dude who she's been bonding with -- her father -- used her to murder someone must be heartbreaking. I'd be pretty pissed, too. Wouldn't you be?

Overall, Thea's been one of the season's best characters. Well, except for her subplot with the DJ character -- you know, the one who can win over an entire club in just a few seconds by simply playing a song everyone apparently goes crazy for. They made it blatantly obvious he was going to be either some guy who's just there to make Roy jealous or have a connection to a villain. It turns out he was a bit of both and I doubt many viewers were surprised. But hey, I can't blame her for that one.

No Caption Provided

When Ra's al Ghul impaled Oliver Queen, my jaw dropped. Many of you probably saw his defeat coming -- deep down, I did as well -- but I had no idea just how shocking it would be. Many of us assumed the Emerald Archer would require the Lazarus Pit or something similar to come back from his vicious defeat. How could he not? He was stabbed right below the chest (the wound magically moved to his abdomen later on), stabbed in the side, and fell a staggering distance before smashing against a hard surface. He then remained there for quite some time. If Sara died from three arrows to the stomach and then falling what appeared to be two or three stories, there was no way Oliver would make a quick recovery from this. Except that's exactly what happened and it didn't even require the Lazarus Pit -- something which we know exists in this world, or at least there's something very similar to it.

After some stitches and what seemed to be herbal remedies, Oliver was back in Starling City just three episodes later. After that, he's running around the rooftops like nothing happened. This is baffling to you as well, right? I'm sure some of you want to scream "it's a comic book show" at me and I get that -- I really do -- but this whole element was glossed over way too quickly. The Ra's al Ghul fight was huge (even though Oliver seemed to forget he's skilled and chose to flail instead of focus), so to have Oliver recover so quickly takes away from the weight of what happened. We all knew he'd come back and I'm glad they didn't drag it out, but this felt rushed and like a missed opportunity. No proper explanation was given for how he recovered from such devastating injuries aside from he had some time to rest and there was basic medical attention. Maybe -- just maybe -- there will be some elaboration about how he was able to recover so quickly (could it tie into this Omega and Alpha stuff going on in the past?), but at this point, it seems like we just have to accept he's back now and totally fine. Anyhow, who else really wants Arrow to beat Ra's by using some trick arrows? It was implied Ra's has decades of experience, so it'll be tough to swallow Ollie beating this guy in melee combat just because he may not be afraid like he once was. After seeing just how dangerous this man is, I think it's okay to use the advantages you have, don't you? I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that's handled.

When fans think of Ra's al Ghul, there's probably three things that could immediately come to mind for them: the animated version, Liam Neeson's version, and the version in the comics. All of them are tough acts to follow, but Matt Nable is offering a worthy version of the iconic villain. Okay, it's blatantly obvious when a stunt double needs to step in and the villain hasn't been used all that much just yet, but he's captured the presence of the character exceptionally well. He's not a villain who's driven by rage or greed -- not that there's anything wrong with that -- he's wise and collected yet still strikes fear into everyone around him. I wasn't sure how I felt about Nable in the role when they first teased the character in a cliffhanger, but I'd say he's done an excellent job. Let's just hope he gets plenty of attention now that the story is racing forward.

No Caption Provided

Another great villain this season has to offer is John Barrowman's Malcolm Merlyn. Thanks to a consistently strong performance and the desire to protect himself at any cost, the writers have done a solid job organically throwing this villain into the mix and justifying why he's still a key character. While it has brought about some not-so-awesome drama among team Arrow, he's a character that continues to grab my attention and this season has me legitimately guessing what the future has in store for him. If I had to guess, I'd say a death which attempts to somewhat redeem his evil and selfish actions -- you know, saving Thea or Ollie from Ra's. Nothing could ever make us view him as a good guy, but they may try to do something that'll make us say, "See, he's not that bad!" I'd prefer if they didn't go that route, but that's my guess!

Having the past scenes take place in Hong Kong was a cool change of pace, but these scenes haven't felt as compelling as the ones on the Island and they haven't benefited the modern scenes all that much. It feels like they're slowly building up to a death (it was strongly implied Tatsu and Maseo's child will die) and a way to justify how Amanda Waller and the Alpha/Omega will be used in the modern era. Obviously, there's been some great scenes in the past, but many of them just haven't benefited the episodes' themes nearly as much as they could have. Maybe this will all payoff soon enough, but up until this point, the trips to the past unfortunately haven't been all that memorable.

John Diggle and Roy Harper are kind of just there, rolling with the story's punches. They haven't had any significant development (Diggle's a dad but that isn't playing a big role; Roy thought he killed Sara), but at least they've had some good scenes. Diggle still had the opportunity to be the voice of reason to Oliver after the archer returned, and Roy standing up to Oliver was a moment that made me want to applaud. I noticed some of you thought his outburst wasn't justified, but seeing as the team was used to working together and Ollie was barking orders at Roy's ex, I think his decision to call Ollie out was appropriate and worked well. Someone had to put the guy in his place and let him know team Arrow isn't an Olltatorship. It's a shame these two aren't getting heavier material, but it's not like they've been absent, either. Plus, they've calmed down with Roy doing unnecessary flips, so that's greatly appreciated. I love when they show how agile he is and they've done some neat shots of that, but those two epic flips felt like they came out of nowhere! Yeah, you know the ones I'm talking about.

No Caption Provided

The villain-of-the-week characters aren't memorable (I'm still bummed Komodo was basically a throwaway mercenary and Deathstroke's return was disappointing, but I'll get over it), but thankfully, they gave Brick a proper amount of attention. Okay, so maybe his plan wasn't the best around -- he just wanted turf control in the comics, too -- and the city's response to it wasn't all that fitting, but it was a role that Vinnie Jones was perfect for. It was basically a less comedic version of his character from Snatch (which is a great movie, by the way) and he pulled off a frightening crime boss who showed hints of more depth. He brought some major personality to their world.

It's just too bad they never explained his durability like, at all. We know his gun didn't have weaker rounds, so how is it that every time he was shot, the bullets did minimal damage? Did every bullet just graze him and he has exceptional pain tolerance? I could have sworn Diggle landed a headshot? This was all pretty unclear and it's tough to just accept him having enhanced durability because the only people with powers are on Mirakuru or they're from Central City. Still, Jones' presence was definitely felt on the show and I hope they have more plans for the character. Man, imagine him on the Suicide Squad. He wouldn't fit in at all and the character dynamics would be so amusing. Oh, and speaking of villains, Peter Stormare's a good actor, but if they're going to bring back Count Vertigo again, they really need to make him do his own thing. Look to the source material to make some much-needed modifications to who he is because, as of right now, he's just coming off like a Scarecrow ripoff. His appearance serves the themes well for others but it leaves him feeling like a plot device instead of a rich character. Give that dude some development!

Arrow has gone pretty heavy on the drama and characters keeping secrets, so to have characters finally open up and tell the truth is so refreshing. Now that Thea's aware of what's going on, watching her talk openly with these characters is so interesting because these people can finally lift a huge weight off their shoulders. It sure beats Oliver and everyone else needing to come up with excuses, doesn't it? I get some secrets need to be kept, but sometimes they feel unnecessary and it's great to see those are being addressed instead of dragged out and avoided. Show of hands: who else is relieved they didn't drag out Thea being unaware of the fact she's the one who killed Sara? I'm going to assume most of you have your hands raised. I could picture them saving that for the big conflict, but thankfully, they didn't!

One lie has left fans mixed: hiding Sara's death from Paul Blackthorne's Quentin Lance. I understood why they called him, pretending to be Sara (he thinks his daughter has been back and he's very concerned that she hasn't contacted him at all), but approaching him in person was an unnecessary step, especially when the conversation is filled with awkward and forced lies. Thankfully, they didn't drag this plot point out, either. Making Quentin aware that it's Laurel in the costume -- don't worry, we'll talk about her in a bit -- was great since he's, you know, a detective, and this arc really allowed Blackthorne to deliver some powerful scenes. In a show that's filled with so much drama, he's the one that has been able to impact me the most. Things like him saying he doesn't know what he'd do without his daughter were devastating and so heartfelt. This development (Quentin knows his daughter is dead and that his other one is wearing a mask and fighting crime) has some major potential for the character's upcoming story, so let's hope they capitalize on it.

No Caption Provided

Season three delivered an Anti-Monitor-sized amount of fan service by having a crossover episode with the lovable characters from The Flash. It was a hugely satisfying way to bring a little more fun and humor into the series. This was such an enjoyable way to take a little break from the main narrative and it's without question an episode that has a ton of replay value. This really brought out the best in the characters, too. There's so much gloom and doom going on, so to have a little intermission that's full of moments that'll make you smile was terrific. I'm not saying the show should change its tone (although, I'd love Ollie to lighten up a bit), but it was a nice break from the status quo.

Felicity and Ray Palmer have been a huge part of this season. The latter because he's a new character and he's working his way towards becoming one of the city's newest heroes; the former because her emotions have been all over the place and understandably so. I've seen a lot of fans grow very frustrated with Felicity over the last several episodes, but we're talking about someone who thought the man she loves died, saw he returned only to side with the man who is ultimately responsible for his "death" (and the death of hundreds others), and she obviously has amazing chemistry with Ray, a guy who can actually discuss his emotions with her and not remain 250% guarded at all times. You must know how much relationship drama can get to your head, right? Now imagine how much it's impacting her. She's had quite an emotional journey, so yeah, it's understandable she isn't always going to be the one we can turn to for comedic banter.

You can't help but feel bad for Felicity. Her and Barry Allen agree they aren't compatible because their hearts belong to other people, and we know she still loves Oliver and the feeling is mutual. So what does this mean for her and Ray -- a relationship that is obviously growing? Is that destined to just not work and it's basically settling because she can't be with the one she truly loves? Kind of depressing, yeah? It sure seems like it since they've made it so very clear Oliver loves Felicity, not Laurel. After all that she's been through, it would be awesome if the show just had Felicity say, "I'm okay not being in a relationship right now" and she focused on doing what she can to help the city. Whether it's giving team Arrow technical help or helping Ray become a hero, it would be a nice change of pace if they removed relationship drama from her life. That's not going to happen, but she's a strong character and it's clear she needs time to herself before she's thrown into even more drama with these guys. Give her a bit of breathing room and time to really think about her situation, you know? I can't help but shake the feeling that "Raylicity" will only come about to make Oliver jealous and then finally give Felicity the kind of emotional connection she deserves from him. Once again, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that's handled. At least for now the scenes between Felicity and Ray are often enjoyable. They're able to nail the comedy and the more emotional beats equally well.

No Caption Provided

If I asked you who your favorite character was back in season two, it's safe to assume a very small number of you would say Laurel. I get she's had a rough road, but the writing made her such a frustrating character. It's tough to root for someone and to want to see them improve when it feels like they're constantly lashing out, deflecting and making things worse. So, when it was announced she'd become the new Black Canary, a number of us were skeptical -- and that's putting it politely. It's not that Katie Cassidy is a bad actress -- I think she's been very impressive at times -- it's that the script has been so cruel to her character. But here we are, deep into season three, and she's suddenly a pretty awesome person.

I think some of the action scenes with her character are a little silly and they're not up to par with the other stunts, but her character has undergone some major progress this season. She's likable now and I want to root for her. Again, deciding to fool her father in person was a terrible choice, but that's outweighed by the steps they've taken to repair her character. I breathed a sigh of relief when she decided to spill the alcohol instead of slipping backwards for the gazillionth time. It tugged at my heartstrings when she finally realized she needs to tell her father the truth. I can't believe I'm saying it, but she's one of the best characters in season three. She may be out of her element when it comes to fighting crime, but we understand why she's so driven and seeing her use all of that energy in a positive way has been excellent. Now it's just a matter of seeing how the situation with Thea unfolds. How will she react to the discovery that Ollie's sister killed her sister? When this is finally revealed to her, let's hope it doesn't force the character to take a major step backwards. It's understandable this news would be a huge blow to her, but in due time, I imagine she'd understand the lengths Oliver has gone to protect his own sister because, this whole time, she's been fighting to avenger her own sister. If there's a reason to lie, that's one reason she'd be able to understand. Well, once she can collect her thoughts, that is. She has every right to be upset about this news when it does drop, but it would be a shame if her response ruined all of the development she's had this season.

No Caption Provided

All in all, season three has left me feeling down the middle. We have some great performances from a few characters and Laurel and Thea have become totally unexpected standouts, but the flashbacks haven't been all that rewarding, some characters feel pushed to the side, and -- aside from Brick and Ra's brief roles -- the villains haven't been all that interesting. It doesn't help that the handling of Arrow's recovery felt incredibly rushed and his return to full health doesn't feel justified. Still, there's more episodes to come and the fact more characters are finally being honest with each other (well, more honest than usual) has created the potential for a whole lot of compelling conversations. Now it's a matter of seeing how they decide to wrap up Ra's al Ghul's arc and where they'll go with Ray's story. Even if it all goes downhill from here, at least they've done an awesome job redeeming two characters.

What do you think about Arrow's third season?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I actually dropped Arrow a few months back. I was disappointed in almost every episode in this season after the first one.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So close. You almost had it. Nine sentences. Good job.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By feedonatreefrog

I can't get this worked up over Arrow. As much as I enjoy the show, it's always been network tv cheese.

Just enjoy whatever fan-service you can and move on.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

When you think about it, making Thea the killer, who was brainwashed by Oliver's nemesis, robs Laurel of the chance to avenge her sister. The chance that should've been rightfully hers.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

I understand some of the points and agree with some of them. Overall this is my reaction.

For some reason, I'm not that big a fan of Thea I think they are advancing her character along the road of hate a little to fast. A little slower would be nice and helpful for the character.

As for Laurel, I have to say she has really improved though she is definitely no Sara. I will touch on Sara later but as for most changed character for the better Laurel wins that award, heck she's currently the best female character on the show, that's saying a lot considering she was the worst for the 1st 1 1/2 seasons.

Now onto Felicity who has had the biggest change for the worst. She has been annoying, making calls she shouldn't make, etc. This I will admit isn't completely her fault. The biggest reason for this problem is that they changed her relationship with Oliver from crush to pseudo-romantic. I miss the geeky awkward girl who would say stuff like "its so weird having you in me". As soon as the romantic angle came in her character kept on getting worse. And this comes to the big problem with some TV shows, they bow to the fans' wishes at the cost of their original vision. In this case a pairing, this was disastrous and I think this season with the introduction of Ray Palmer this has been proven as she fits perfectly with Ray but not whatsoever with Oliver. Anyway the worst character of the season goes to Felicity which goes to show something. The worst of season 1 Laurel is the best now and the best of Season 1 Felicity is now the worst.

Killing Sara was a stupid move, she was the best hero character alive on the show. The show will forever be for the worse because of it. The same can be said though of Oliver's mom's death as she was easily Top 3 characters of the show ever. Oh and with this last episode I saw Tommy again. Man I miss that guy, while killing him was okay I still think they could've gone without that and wish they did.

Roy has been good and so has Diggle. Argus and the entire in the past cast has been okay. As for Laurel's Dad he's been himself so okay as far as I'm concerned.

Oliver Queen has been himself so not to shabby and Malcom Merlyn has been the star of the season. Ra's Al Ghul was definitely a surprise so glad he's actually good.

Ray Palmer, the new hero of the show, has been awesome. I hope he gets his own show, he deserves one and hope he takes Felicity with him. Doubt it will happen but one can hope.

Overall the season has been a mixed bag, but hey they can't all be like Season 2. I think one could describe Arrow like this. Season 1=Batman Begins Season 2=The Dark Knight Season 3=The Dark Knight Rises. So yeah, overall this season has been a mixed bag at least they're improving some of them right?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They really dropped the ball this season.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@dernman said:

So close. You almost had it. Nine sentences. Good job.

One day I'll be able to create ten sentences that make sense. ONE DAY!

When you think about it, making Thea the killer, who was brainwashed by Oliver's nemesis, robs Laurel of the chance to avenge her sister. The chance that should've been rightfully hers.

Yeah, I'm very curious to see how the reveal will play out and what it'll mean moving forward.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also mixed on this season. I didn't like the first half, especially when compared to the Flash, but I have really enjoyed it since returning from the break.

I'm not nearly as hung up over Oliver's return as others seem to be. It was implied he was gone for a month or two. That's a pretty long recovery and most sword wounds aren't fatal (and it wasn't near any vital organs), the fall is a bigger question but whatever. I'm much more confused about how Merlyn is still alive after Ollie killed him in season 1. No one ever brings this up but I seriously expected answers this season and so far nothing.

I found drawing out Sara's murder/all the secrets annoying and most of this season's issues. Also no way in hell should they have killed her. I'm ok with good character deaths when it makes the show better (Moira, Tommy) but this murder didn't at all.

I disagree on Stormare being a good actor, I think he is the single worst villain of the week the show has ever had. And that's not just because of the role they've given him. Never thought I'd say it but give me back Seth Gabel. I have liked Brick and Cupid though.

Felicity and Ray both annoy me. I know I'm in the minority on the latter but he's way too bizarre to be a real human. I get Felicity being upset but she is unnecessarily harsh on Ollie (I've thought this since season 2 when she didn't have the excuses she has now to act so irrational). Her and Roy's freakout on Ollie when he yelled at Thea was insanely annoying. The guy was just acting a bit irrationally because Laurel had just almost died, and nothing they brought up in that moment was relevant to the situation.

Finally really like Laurel now, although she still isn't as strong of a character as she was in season one as the crusading lawyer.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually starting to lose interest in both Arrow and Flash. They're both enjoyable and great shows I'll give ya that considering how successful they are, but right now I've just been disappointed episode after episode after episode. Sure there's tons of fan services, easter eggs, and etc. that gets me excited for the next episode and see what's going on but when I try to watch a new episode, I'm just sitting there not even looking at the screen and paying attention anymore. Most of the storylines are becoming very... vague. The shows are starting to get really cheesy and most of the acting are just plain horrible (with the exception of John Barrowman, Paul Blackthorne, and some others that I can't think of right now). Now with all of the other cb shows, such as Gotham, AoS, and Agent Carter, I just don't have any interest in at all. The Walking Dead is pretty good but stopped watching it after the first couple episodes of S5 and Contsantine is a really good show. Possibly even the best cb show right now

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'd give the season a 7/10 this season. In spite of all of the hate it gets, I honestly think that this season has had some of the series' best moments. And I have especially high hopes for the remaining 8-9 episodes.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People still watch this show?

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I wish i could see more development in Roy Harper's story. Maybe they could bring Chesire and Lian to the show.

I'm starting to dislike Oliver and his obsession with Malcom, even Thea realized he was playing with them all along. I understand Felicity's point of view , and now Roy and Thea share Felicity's point of view about him, but Oliver insists in protecting him. Anyway Ras would kill them both in a blink of an eye.

And Laurel , now everyone loves her. she can deal a couple of blows and now everyone thinks she is fully capable to fill Sara's shoes. She's been taken down so easily and in all the fights she got into, she's needed help from a member of the team. And it's weird because it took 2 entire season for Oliver to accept Roy as his sidekick and now he's seems to be perfectly ok with the idea. I wonder what's gonna happen when she has to face enemies on her own.

I keep think Sara's death was absurd and totally unfair. It is a clear example of Women in refrigerator. They needed to kill to pull the trigger of third season plot.

And finally, i'm still waiting to see Oliver and Roy sharing a passionate kiss XD .

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@xwraith said:

I actually dropped Arrow a few months back. I was disappointed in almost every episode in this season after the first one.

They really dropped the ball this season.

I'm actually starting to lose interest in both Arrow and Flash. They're both enjoyable and great shows I'll give ya that considering how successful they are, but right now I've just been disappointed episode after episode after episode.

People still watch this show?

ALL OF THIS

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 1 & 2 were so good, and this season has been pretty disappointing so far. The whole thing with Ollie coming back so soon after his fight with Ra's, flashback scenes which I have zero interest in at this point, killing off Sara, Atom kinda seems like a random Stark rip-off...ugh...not trying to pile on here, the show is losing me and I want to stay with it. I'm hoping they really knock the remaining EP's outta the park to save face here.

Neon_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"People still watch this show?" etc

No, no one watches it, this article doesn't even exist.

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice article, any chance we might get one for Flash, especially given how last week's episode ended and what is going to happen in the next episode?

jackcryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really haven't been that impressed with Arrow lately. I'm still hung up on there not being a Lazarus Pit and Olivier's amazing return. Both Laurel and Thea are becoming easier to watch characters, but at the same time its hard to care about them with so many subplots happening in this season. I was very excited at the beginning of the season, but now I'm just disappointed

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

That's a good point that I hadn't really thought of, the rest of the situation is so silly anyway. (I'm not sure why you put the spoiler tag there, since it's revealed in the article.) But then again it's a built in way to force Laurel not to go all vengeful. That seems to be a common theme in the series sometimes. If they were going that route, they should've made it her own choice and journey instead of making any action she makes about Oliver. I just can't buy that Thea would've had the skills to do it, especially drugged.

As for Laurel, I have to say she has really improved though she is definitely no Sara. I will touch on Sara later but as for most changed character for the better Laurel wins that award, heck she's currently the best female character on the show, that's saying a lot considering she was the worst for the 1st 1 1/2 seasons.

I liked Sara, but she was a ready made hero when she entered the scene. Aside from a few flashbacks with Oliver, you didn't get to see how she became the Canary. They could have gone deeper into her training with the League, but all the Canary flashbacks would've taken away from Oliver's. Even though Laurel was basically the writer's punching bag for a while, we get to see her as she becomes a hero, every step of the way. Her growth as a character has been great this season, but her growth as a fighter is kinda erratic. They could be more consistent, though I am also glad that Katie Cassidy is obviously working out.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arrow Season 3 is actually very bad in comparison to the previous seasons. Flash, Agent Carter, and Agents of Shield have all been consistently better in their respective seasons.

Far too much romantic bullshit at the beginning. Oliver's "death" wasn't capitalized on in any meaningful way. The flashback scenes are just plain bad. First season where I actually feel compelled to skip them. Felicity is now annoying character. The worst part is, unlike with laurel where as her struggles were CLEARLY leading up to something.... I can't see how felicity's current struggles can be transformed into great character development. The show runners hinted that Roy would step in a big way when Oliver was dead, but that was untrue. Diggle has been marginalized. If he isn't doing something involving the team, he isn't doing anything at all. The show runners REFUSE to add powers to the series, and I think the show is starting to suffer because of it. I like how laurel and Thea's characters are being improved in this season but I feel all the other characters are suffering for it. Oliver really hasn't grown as a character this season AT ALL. He is only telling the truth out of necessity.

I still enjoy the show though... But still......

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

still faitful to it and the other "shows that suck" constantine (hopefully not the end ) and flash .

how walking dead and gotham have a huge following i will never understand

Alum918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alum918

Worst season yet. Its been a surprisingly slow ride throughout. There doesn't seem to be a main theme/lesson/arc for Oliver this season and the only character growth has been with Laurel and Thea. The show lacks a sense of urgency and suspense and thats mainly due to a lack of a central antagonist. Everyone may say its Ra's al Ghul but if so, thats where the show has failed the most. He was introduced so early on that we tend to forget or care about anything he is or does. I mean, after all, he didn't "kill" Oliver and hasnt been seen doing anything else. Another major con is listening TOO much to "Olicity" fans and have ruined Felicity's character. She was at her best when she had minimal screen time and quirky jokes. Now, she's become so damn annoying so fast its crazy. The Flash is arguably the best superhero show right now because it EMBRACES the comic book and goofy aspect of its source material (Grodd, Capt Cold, Reverse Flash) No one couldve guessed we would see Grodd on live tv! Arrow's weakness is that it tries too hard to stay grounded and serious. It just doesnt seem fun anymore.

ps - Why is Diggle always staring at computer screens? That seems to be the only thing he does.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arrow S3 isn't bad...

It's just that it doesn't have a clear villain who has clear plans for Starling City... Ra's Al Ghul???

What he really wants is to punish Malcolm and be done with it, but obviously Malcolm did other things to ensure his survival, so Oliver had to get involved to save Thea...

But Ra's Al Ghul holds zero threats to the people of Starling and is only threat to Malcolm and Oliver thinks he has to get involved because he is his sister's dad...

I believe that the ball has dropped in the Season because the CW want to focus on The Flash.... I think they just left Arrow because it has a strong fan base, so one bad Season means that the show will get renewed anyway.... The Flash doesn't have that yet so as soon as it reaches a level like Arrow, they will possibly leave it and make an Awesome S4!

In regards to Felicity, I am not sure she is understanding the threat of Ra's Al Ghul to Oliver. Oliver has seen him fight. Malcolm has seen him fight. I think Felicity needs to watch a video of Ra's killing Oliver so she can understand how good this guy is when it comes to fighting...

I like where Thea's story is going, same with Laurel...

The romance... Ugh!

Also, I feel like Diggle has become a side-character...

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Proof of how hard it is to please comic book fans....

Alum918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Alum918

@Koays

Actually,tell any audience to compare this season to the previous one and they'll have just as much as to say. Everyone has their own criticisms.

We're analyzing the show from a viewer's standpoint which involves discussing characters, plot, progression, themes, etc. We're not talking about how more Green his outfit should be or how little of a goatee Ollie has...

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I have a feeling they're stalling for something big, like a cliff-hanger as the season finale. I don't have a problem with this season, my enthusiasm before each episode is still as high as its ever been. My only complaints are the sudden over-dependence on shock value (even though I still feel the Lazarus Pit will eventually be introduced to explain Ollie's recovery, I cannot defend Sara's death - the single biggest mistake the show has made imo) and Slade's return being so disappointingly anti-climactic (it's as if he was only included in the script because they found out Manu Bennett was available for the shoot that day).

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rogueshadow  Moderator

Arrow used to be great popcorn fun, now it's just getting too bad in my opinion. The entire first half of the season, aside from the first and mid-season finale episodes were meh, since then they've been flat out awful, the writing is so damn bad, so bad...

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It needs Batman. All DC shows need Batman.

Sure it is a good joke to put Batman in everything but with Ra's already there, having Batman at least making a cameo or indirect reference would make it awesome ! You don't even need him to speak, just make a Shadow of him show up with Ra's saying '' Ah..Detective '' and the episode ends there ! Boom , perfect.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tximinoman

My problems with this season:

-I still don't know where does the Arrow team get his money from since none of them had a real job (and now the only one who has a real job is Felicity, and I don't think she's paying for everything). In the first half of the season they paid for dinners in expensive restaurants, trips to Corto Maltese, food, materials to make awesome trick arrows, electricity and even some nanobots at one point. All that without Oliver's fortune (it's been settled neither him or Thea have Queen's money anymore -Thea said she paid for the Verdant with Merlin's money) and without any of them having a real job since Diggle was Oliver's bodyguard (and now he can't pay him), Roy worked in the club (and it was closed for nearly half this season) and Felicity was working at a fucking store.
    -Also, since Oliver wasn't the owner of the company and Thea haven't bought yet the Verdant... where the Arrow team squats for half of this season?
    -And also... where did Oliver live before Thea came back from Corto Maltese? In the Arrow cave?

-I don't know why Laurel decide not to tell her father about Sarah's death. I know she did it because she was afraid he couldn't take it but it was just cruel. And later when she make him believe she was alive and back was even worse. I don't know how much cruel you can get than that. Also I really hate the fact that Sarah's dead. I really enjoyed her and thought she was a way better canary than her sister will ever be, but whatever, I guess producers need to give Laurel some reason for keeping her in the show (I don't understand why though since she's a horrible actress and her character is really unlikeable).

-I seriously don't know what Merlin's plan was. He makes his daughter kill Sarah to force Ras and the League to come to Starling and... what? Investigate the crime? Force Oliver to step up and fight Ras? And then what? Did he really hoped a guy like Oliver to kill Ras? And then what? Wouldn't the League burn Oliver's city and murder all his family if he miraculously managed to murder Ras? It just makes no sense, or at least I don't see the point of what he's been doing so far.

-I get why Oliver needs Diggle for. He's the voice of reason. He's the Alfred to his Batman. But Arsenal? And don't tell me "well he's Robin" because Robin, or any sidekick, works when they do things for the hero. When they help him fight crime and are the opposite of what the hero is. Arsenal isn't. Arsenal has no personality and it's really pointless in every fight so why does he exist?

-Brick was cool (it's what happens when you have a good actor playing a character) but his arc was probably the dumbest thing this show have done in three seasons. And that's saying something. Let's not forget this is the show that tried to make us believe that someone who was being judged for trying to blew up half the city could run for major a week later and have chances of winning. But this was even worse. No major has the power of giving up the city to a criminal and no government would allow that. If that happened the army would arrive to the Glades the next morning with tanks and shit hunting down Brick. I know it's not supposed to be realistic, but this was just dumb.

-How did the Arrow team learned Thea was with Merlin in Corto Maltese? This is one thing that's been bothering me for a while now, and maybe I missed something, but it seems that they didn't knew and then on the next episode they did know and nothing was ever explained.

(I have more problems but this is already way too long so I'm going to stop)

(sorry for this)

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Too much too read. It would have been easier to watch or listen too.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ok, i have to go but i have some points to use and i am sorry if someone else posted it as well.

Oliver was revived by Katana and her powerset is vague even in comics let alone a tv show.

Ollie gets his money from dividents from his company - even if he lost more than 50% and control of it he still owns a big part of that company..

I hate how nerfed Diggle got to be.. he is a spec ops soldier with medals and shit.. And he should be physically stronger due to his mass.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love arrow I think its great ....its the best version of green arrow I've seen comic book or otherwise I hope they keep it up....usually shows get worse after the first and second season in my opinion because the "newness" of the show wears off and only the hardcore fans watch ...I can't miss an episode personally but I understand the critics....and the lack of a central villain has weakened the focus of the show to a degree ...I think there are just too many characters all the supporting characters have their own story going on that's a major part of the plot so its a lot to follow and if you miss an episode you are lost so sometimes simplicity is a good thing ...atom arsenal diggle 2 black canarys speedy merlin felicity ......and oh yeah arrow ...see I almost forgot arrow...so many characters....after roy joined team arrow that was good enough ...now laurel is a hero thea is a fighter....please don't let felicity throw punches lol

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They seem to be rushing in season 3, Thea went from loving Merlyn to hating him in under one sentence, Ollie recovered way too quick from Ras Al Ghul and Laurel suddenly has a lot more skill than she should as a boxer. I still eagerly watch it every week though.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm going to be honest I didn't read all that but I want to say that Arrow took a nose dive in quality in my opinion.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By goonage

@amazingwebhead said:

I think it will play out in a similar way to when Thea found out about Ollie being the Arrow. Laurel will probably be angry at Malcolm instead of Thea, though she probably will be angry at Oliver for not telling her. However I don't think her anger will last that long, since A. After what she told her father she'd come off as a massive hypocrite and B. Because her lashing out at everyone is what made her so unlikable to the fanbase.

EDIT: Also, I think that during the inevitable fight between her, Malcolm and Oliver she and him will create a joint takedown. That way she gets her revenge and Malcolm doesn't get taken down by someone who isn't the main character/ a complete novice.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By MrMazz

Season 3 feels like it lacks its own operational theme, the series overall has one but Season three's first half has felt like an odd obfuscation of it. The murder mystery plot seems partly to blame, it's a well worn but less than interesting engine - I don't care how good the reveal was (it was ok) that kind of engine only gets you so far. STill sicne the midseason finale things seems to be turning up with its instance on legacy, heroic symbolisim.

The werid thing is, we don't really have a reason yet for Ollie and the LEague to come to blows. Sure he only mostly died but that seems like kinda lame motivation. Slade's arc was made great because of how it used the flashbacks. this season man what's the point of these flash backs. Some of them have been good, the further education of Ollie Queen, Dumb Wig Edition, is cool but they seem even more disconnected from the present than normal. Sure they often create soem sortta thematic echo but that's largely on a purely episode to episode basis. It's why "Uprising" is such a good episode, everything is focused on creating sympathy for the Devil.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One day i will get my Cyber Cookie for being correct that it was Thea since episode 1... One Day.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

When they introduced Komodo, I was really hoping that the show would move towards an Outsiders War storyline, which would allow for the show to 1) incorporate a great story full of great characters to introduce and 2) move away from the more Batman-oriented League of Assassins. And then they swept the character under the rug like he never existed. They could've had Komodos company buy Queen Consolidated (or whatver Palmers company did) and it would've gelled much more with the comics. They could've found another way to introduce Ray Palmer organically.

I also feel like Count Vertigos character is all over the place. The actor they're using now has a lot of potential to really be a creepy stand our villain but they don't utilize him whatsoever.

This season has felt very inconsistent, especially when you compare it to how strong the second season was. The main strength of this season is the action which is usually top notch in all the episodes.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@sachmoo said:

One day i will get my Cyber Cookie for being correct that it was Thea since episode 1... One Day.

And when you do, it'll be a raisin cookie, not chocolate chip :)

But really, if you did, good call. I have no idea how you called it from the first ep, but nice.

@thespideyguy said:

Too much too read. It would have been easier to watch or listen too.

TS; DR :)

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@dan12456: So true on the Count. Gabel's version made him my favorite Arrow Rogue on the show (with Clock King and Cupid coming close behind). The new version has no dimension, I have no idea why he does the things he does, therefore, I lack any reason to care about his episodes.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 3 is definitely a few steps back from season 2. Sarah should not have died like that.....or at all. The show already takes so many liberties with the comics, so there would have been no harm in Sarah being the legitimate Black Canary. After one season she was one of the most well liked characters on the show, but they kill her off in favor of her annoying, disliked sister? Big mistake there. Though, I will admit that Laurel has gotten a bit more tolerable but only because Felicity has been run through the gutter. Like, seriously, she's been horrible this season. She's whiny, hypocritical, and entitled....kind of like Laurel used to be hmmmmm. Oh, and the continued underuse of Roy and Diggle is a crime as is the lame absence of the Lazurus Pits.

So far, this season gets a 7/10

Season 2 - 8.5

Season 1 - 7/10

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mmmh, personnally I dumped arrow after the season 2.

Too many characters were holding the idiot ball, the villain were either villain sue or were given the joker immunity.

It's like as if the writers har thrown their imagination and talent away, which was sad and frustrating because I really liked the first season.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Seems like Arrow is losing more viewers than it's gaining. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get into this show.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

@alum918 said:

Actually,tell any audience to compare this season to the previous one and they'll have just as much as to say. Everyone has their own criticisms.

True. Yet there is a bit of truth when it comes to never always pleasing the (comic and TV) fans.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@koays said:

exactly.

~MiB

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@koays said:

exactly.

~MiB

The comments or the article?

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first half of this season was extremely weak compared to Season 2 while still not being as bad as the first season. They should've spent the first half building the relatioship with Oliver and Roy as a dynamic crime fighting duo. Roy just stood there...

Once the mid-season finale came along, the show has been great each weak.

Regarding character changes and my personal opinion about some chacters, Felicity has lost her charm long ago and she's now annoying, Laurel has been handled well especially her transition into Black Canary, and Thea also is much more likable.

Oh and Oliver and Felicity still have zero romantic chemistry.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.