inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Arthur and Mera's journey continues and they come one step closer to finding Atlanna, Arthur's mother. That's what I find completely wonderful about the Maelstrom arc. It feels like a journey. It feels like an adventure. Although we can't look at writer Jeff Parker's whole work on this series simply because he's still going strong. It feels like this arc is really where he hit his stride. He's taken Aquaman, who was well-defined by Geoff Johns, and made the series into something new and something different. Aquaman is an adventure book now? Yes and I'm fully on board.

Parker continues to build on the mythos and history of Atlantis, which is just another stamp Parker is putting on his run. We get to see some Dr Shin in the mix as well, and it's really cool to see everyone working together instead of against each other. Although there's danger and fighting, this run on Aquaman is strangely friendly.

There's spoilers here, but if you've been reading the back of recent DC comic books, then I'm not spoiling much. Atlanna looks really awesome. I've always been a fan of Paul Pelletier's work on this series, but his costume design for Atlanna and character design for the animal she's riding is so awesome. Certain elements of her outfit remind the reader of Atlantis, mainly the orange and green, but she has this whole Red Sonja/Conan look going for her too. I'm truly impressed with the design of this character and the build-up for the past few months really pays off.

The Bad

There's one particular moment that really rubbed me the wrong way. Mera and Arthur enter a gate and it drops them off underwater because at some point, the gate sunk into the sea. As he and Mera rise to the surface, he reminds Mera that ancient Atlantians couldn't breathe underwater. The way the dialogue plays out, which is merely a single line, feels like Arthur is giving a history lesson to Mera, not talking to her. Also, wouldn't she know that? Maybe I'm getting too fanboy about one line.

The Verdict

AQUAMAN #38 is the issue that really solidifies what Jeff Parker is doing with this book, or at least with this story line. Aside from one line that got me a tiny bit fanboy-mad, the writing and dialogue on this book is great and leaves the reader wanting more, and as always, Paul Pelletier and Rain Beredo on colors provide some spectacular art, including that final splash page, which is awesome. I highly recommend checking out AQUAMAN and more importantly, Maelstrom.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The art is fantastic. Especially that last page.

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

This was a phenomenal issue. 5/5 for me.

Avatar image for aquamanisthebest
    AquamanIsTheBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Did you guys pick up on the nod to Jason Mamoa? When Arthur starts speaking Polynesian(Mamoa is Polynesia if I'm not mistaken)? "I hung out in these seas for a while." I enjoyed it.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you guys pick up on the nod to Jason Mamoa? When Arthur starts speaking Polynesian(Mamoa is Polynesia if I'm not mistaken)? "I hung out in these seas for a while." I enjoyed it.

great freaking point. i didnt catch that it was a nod to mamoa.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#8 inferiorego  Staff

Totally didn't catch it! Nice eye!

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Arthur grabs Mera and jumps on to the statue.

"You think this is the best time for..."

Yes. Yes I do.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I have no idea why, but I am not interested in this story at all. I normally like Jeff Parker and his ideas however, this time he lost me with the second part of this book. Everything seems rather boring and I don't even wait for the conversation and collision between Atlanna and Arthur.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@aliltron said:

This was a phenomenal issue. 5/5 for me.

Yep!

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

I have no idea why, but I am not interested in this story at all. I normally like Jeff Parker and his ideas however, this time he lost me with the second part of this book. Everything seems rather boring and I don't even wait for the conversation and collision between Atlanna and Arthur.

I"m with you tdk. I don't know why, but I felt somewhat lost. It didn't feel like it gelled with the other issues. Something seemed disconnected.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By TDK_1997

@tdk_1997 said:

I"m with you tdk. I don't know why, but I felt somewhat lost. It didn't feel like it gelled with the other issues. Something seemed disconnected.

Yeah, there is something that makes me feel lost. Not in the sense that I don't know what's happening but that it doesn't seem like this is actually that important or that it ties to the previous issues and what has been happening.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kfabz-23

@aliltron: do you know when the next story arc is so I can jump right in.

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23:

Hey there, this story arc will go up until Convergence in April, and probably won't start a new story arc until June. I'd suggest jumping in with Maelstrom. It's been amazing, just go back and pick up the previous issues if you want since after Maelstrom we won't be getting (New 52) Aquaman for at least two months. But it's up to you.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aliltron: oh wow I defiantly need to pick them up then. Thanks!

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By JV

Really, really enjoying this arc. Not realizing it has turned into an adventure book as the review has pointed out, it is no wonder I am enjoying this arc. I like a good adventure book and look forward to the next unknown being uncovered. ...... but then again I always prefer the slow paced story lines that develop over time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.