inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The real winner of this issue happens during the scenes featuring Mera, where she's being hunted by some assassins. How these guys plan on taking down Mera is even cooler and something I don't think we've seen before in an Aquaman book. I could be wrong though, and usually, I am. The overall battle with Mera and her surprise ally is quick and brutal. Parker does a good job at having the character's personalities come out in their fighting styles.

The actual battle between Hercules and Aquaman is fun, which is exactly the type of writing you'd come to expect with Jeff Parker. He gives the battle a nice little twist as the reader comes to realize that Hercules isn't of the right mind and the reason why is pretty fantastic.

As weird as this may sound, at first, the idea of Hercules being in this book was awful, but now that we're through this story, it actually works out pretty well. It all ties back to Atlantis, and believe it or not, it feels like it makes Atlantians a truer part of the DC Universe.

The Bad

All-in-all, it's an alright issue, but it leaves the reader wanting more with what's going on with the Triton Base. In total, the Triton Base story appears for a grand total of one page here. It's a huge letdown, since this is really the story worthy of the book.

The actual issue doesn't really lead anywhere at the end, except to a team-up readers can expect in the Annual issue in the upcoming months, which is a team up between Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

It really comes down to the fact that as a longtime Aquaman fan, this issue is just a bit disappointing. There's a lot of good stuff going on within Parker's arc, thus far, but the actual focus just doesn't have the winning combination to win over fans. This has nothing to do with who was on the series last. We're in Parker's arc and it's good, but not great, and there's a lot of potential for great here.

The Verdict

It's a bit of a middle-of-the-road issue. While the fight scenes are a ton of fun here, the issue doesn't really progress any form of actual story. What fans will want to read is all pushed onto the first page of the issue and the end of #30 is a team-up set-up for the upcoming annual, which from the looks of it, won't be anything too exciting. This is not a bad issue, but it's just not winning me over. I give this issue a mild recommendation.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#1  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I am really not liking Jeff Parker's Aquaman all that much, but something still keeps me reading this series.

Jslab425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jslab425

We agree with much of your review. More troublesome to us is the dip in artistic quality that has been evidenced in issues 26-30 with multiple artists/inkers on every issue. Remember those splash pages by Paul Pelletier that practically took your breath away? When was the last time you saw one?

We reached out to AQUAMAN editor Chris Conroy to offer our feedback and he responded very positively. Its no secret that Pelletier has struggled with the monthly schedule demands of AQUAMAN and Conroy explained that DC's editorial is trying to maximize his page count each issue by supporting him with penciling assistance. We're not sure its an effective technique (we'd rather see a guest artist for an issue or 2) but their intentions are well meaning at least. He added that they are all doing their best to make the book consistent with the high art standards that have come to be associated with AQUAMAN in the New 52.

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm hip...I've been about my aquaman as if late...adding this to the collection...ASAP.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 inferiorego  Staff

@jslab425 said:

We agree with much of your review. More troublesome to us is the dip in artistic quality that has been evidenced in issues 26-30 with multiple artists/inkers on every issue. Remember those splash pages by Paul Pelletier that practically took your breath away? When was the last time you saw one?

We reached out to AQUAMAN editor Chris Conroy to offer our feedback and he responded very positively. Its no secret that Pelletier has struggled with the monthly schedule demands of AQUAMAN and Conroy explained that DC's editorial is trying to maximize his page count each issue by supporting him with penciling assistance. We're not sure its an effective technique (we'd rather see a guest artist for an issue or 2) but their intentions are well meaning at least. He added that they are all doing their best to make the book consistent with the high art standards that have come to be associated with AQUAMAN in the New 52.

Man... I miss Pelletier... the guy is a beast.

Jslab425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jslab425

@inferiorego: Well, Paul's not gone -- just not doing full issues but we get your point. Rod Reis is gone and that's a huge loss for AQUAMAN's visual integrity.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inferiorego  Staff

@jslab425 said:

@inferiorego: Well, Paul's not gone -- just not doing full issues but we get your point. Rod Reis is gone and that's a huge loss for AQUAMAN's visual integrity.

Yeah it stinks not to see Rod Reis' colors on the book, but Reis is doing full art on C.O.W.L. It's good to see him moving on since his actual artwork is breathtaking.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC better not be slacking with their art direction. They have the best art in the business on their books in my opinion. Which is one reason why I am a much bigger DC fan than a Marvel one. Artists like Michael Walsh, Aja, Dragotta etc etc, have ruined books for me that I could potentially be interested in over at Marvel.

Jslab425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jslab425

@inferiorego: Ha! We were going to plug C.O.W.L in our previous reply as well but second-guessed doing so in an AQUAMAN thread. Jaws are going to drop in May!

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought this issue was great, 4.5/5 for me. Parker's best one yet imo.

jstndmnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

I'm with CantDance93, I have really enjoyed Parker's stories. I was almost going to stop reading Aquaman when he started, but in the last few issues he has won me over. I only read a few comics a month, and Aquaman continues to be my favorite of my pull.

I hope Parker stays on Aquaman for a long time.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultron345: those artists are fantastic. Maybe not your taste, but fantastic artists all the same.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#12  Edited By Extremis

@inferiorego: hey, very good review man. I gave it a similar grade myself.

I've really liked Parker's run but it's starting to look like the larger story arc isn't paying off as soon as it should. It's things like this that remind me why Geoff Johns is so good at world building. He does the issue-by-issue fun stuff but keeps the larger story arc ALWAYS in focus and moving along.

It's a shame, though, because I don't even know if this is a situation where it's the writer's fault or DC editorial for shoehorning this Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman stuff in.

Hope it works out regardless. Would hate for this series to fall apart after it just became one of DC's best.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mat pretty well hit the nail on the head about this issue in his review. A good but not great issue. And the art in this one doesn't seem as solid as it usually is. Oh well, overall Aquaman's been more of a hit than a miss so far, so let's hope things get back on track soon. The book's been one of DC's gems for sure.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geoff Johns need to come back so I can enjoy Aquaman again.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the Herculus stuff felt like it was going to be weird, but I think it ended up working out. It'll be cool to see Aquaman team up with Wonder Woman too

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: Those artists are HORRIBLE in my opinion. In your eyes they are fantastic. Your opinion doesn't make it fact.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I enjoyed the issue more than you did. That fight was excellent and I'm super hyped to see Swamp Thing (though I hope he doesn't shit on Arthur like he did in the 90's) and Wonder Woman as well.

Plus, even though Reis' art is god-like...I quite like how Aquaman is being drawn now. Its more unique.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultron345: you thinking they're horrible is an opinion too, and it's a lot more radical than mine.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: yes it is. That's why I said 'in my opinion' after I said they were horrible. Fantastic and horrible seem equally radical to me. Just opposites.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ultron345

@timelordscience: yes it is. That's why I said 'in my opinion' after I said they were horrible. Fantastic and horrible seem equally radical to me. Just opposites.

DickDastardly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am just about to read this issue, but I had to stop in and say that i love this cover!

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I enjoyed the issue.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Fallschirmjager
    Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultron345:

Could not disagree more on art DC probbably has the worst art in the business right now while most aren't bad almost all have the same generic art style for every series it gets so damn boring. While Marvel gives you tons of different art styles pretty much every series art is different causing it to be alot more diverse and appealing and not only are they all different styles majority are amazing for the style that they are.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultron345:

Could not disagree more on art DC probbably has the worst art in the business right now while most aren't bad almost all have the same generic art style for every series it gets so damn boring. While Marvel gives you tons of different art styles pretty much every series art is different causing it to be alot more diverse and appealing and not only are they all different styles majority are amazing for the style that they are.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: I honestly couldn't care less about the same style. It looks SUPERB. Marvel has a ton of styles but alot of the art just look flat out like crap. Not surprised by your response though, everyone thinks like a drone nowadays anyway. Marvel>DC with damn near everything so w/e.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultron345:

No need to be such an A-hole i like both companies but i guess you never heard of an opinion or chances are you're a DC fanboy. Anyway diversity does matter to most. It gets boring to see the same art style over and over and over and over and over again. I see tons of compliments from people in the comic book industry or who run websites or channels loving and complimenting Marvels diversity in art. While in reviews alone you can check this website you see way more compliments to Marvel art then DC. Because people like diversity in their art. Marvel gives out much better quality art while also being diverse. Alot of them are the best you can get with that style so while different styles they give you a 10/10 art for the artstyle. But whatever fanboys will fanboy.

As for the Marvel>DC thing i see just as many DC comic fans as Marvel on this website but way to pull more crap out of your butt. The only thing where basically everyone is saying Marvel>DC is movies for obvious reason. But if alot are going Marvel>DC it's because Marvel is currently giving better comics while DC has been dropping the ball on so much lately to the point where their last 2 animated movies sucked. We can't evne rely on their animation anymore? What the heck DC. But that's beside the point were talking about comics and this happens in comics all the time. Eventually DC will be putting out better comics and be selling better comic wise. Then Marvel will be putting out better comics and be selling better then DC again. It's an endless cycle with the occasional other companies joining like Valiant is currently getting alot of love and hype around it, it may be the next best thing until another company starts doing even better. That's just comics. But if you want to be an ignorant fanboy so be it.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: Not a fanboy. I read both as well. I will admit however to being fatigued at the hate DC gets, which I feel is unjustified.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultron345:

Unjustified in your opinion. But why is it unjustified? Explain? Also why take it out on me i like both companies as well i was just simply stating that i prefer Marels better more diverse art because the same art style over and over again can get boring. Batma is still my favorite superhero but that means i hate DC if i critisize when they should be critsized? They use the same art for everything and it's extremely generic and gets boring. That doesn't mean i hate DC or i'm a drone.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: No your opinion that 'Marvel gives you tons of variety etc etc thus they are better' is a drone opinion. Everyone and their mom says that exact phrase. Would u turn down going to buy your car at the Mercedes-Benz dealership because they only have one brand of car? That's how I look at DC. Your point is accurate, yes Marvel has more variety in their art direction as well as their writing for that matter, half of Marvels art looks like garbage to me but that's just me. Point is only in comics can too much of a great thing be a bad thing. I grow weary of arguing this point though. I'll just start accepting ugly art IMO for the sake of variety and be happy with that.

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want them to amplify Aquaman's abilities; better TP, ability to control the micro organism in the human body, and some better feats with the trident. Just sayin lol.........

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.