inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

It all comes to a head here in the conclusion of Death of a King! Mera and Aquaman return to Atlantis to find it is under siege by Scavenger and his men.

There's quite of a bit of awesome going on in this issue.

It's the return of Topo! This is something Topo fans (me) have been waiting for. Topo comes back with a vengeance is some stunning action sequences that will have you cheering as you turn the pages. What the reader is treated to are some very satisfying scenes of the good guy finally fighting back against the bad guy, simple as that. Plus, it's a giant octopus-type character doing most the fighting. Giant monsters destroying the bad guys are where it's at.

What's the best part of the Topo-related destruction? The two-page spread featuring some gorgeous art work from Paul Pelletier, Sean Parsons (inks), and Rod Reis (colors). It's some epic-level art going on here. There's also some really cool smaller moments where Aquaman is trying to to use his power to the point where he's struggling and Pelletier really gets that feeling through with Aquaman's facial expression. Reis' colors are great. Everything works really well, colorwise, especially those two page spreads.

Here's a small spoiler for you. Aquaman has a sweet beard again! Finally, the man of the sea has the manly seaman beard to match!

What's really cool about this overall issue is how almost everything comes together for the finale. The book has had a a few separate stories going on, mainly Scavenger taking over Atlantis and the Dead King, with Nereus (Mera's supposed husband) battling Aquaman for the Throne of Atlantis. It all comes together pretty naturally and raises the stakes for everyone involved. It adds a tons of tension and suspense to everything happening.

Urn is a fantastic character. He's a fantastic supporting character in the New 52. He has a really cool design, and he shows that he really has what it takes to lead Atlantians into battle.

The Bad

The actual ending is quite the disappointment. Without spoiling anything, there's an aspect of it, the last part which will undoubtedly lead to an interesting story line, after Villains Month finishes up, but the conclusion is bittersweet because the reader gets zero answers to all of these story lines that have been carrying on the past few months. Sure, these answers will probably come during Villains Month, but being that is supposed to be the conclusion to this pretty epic story line, many are hoping to see these stories wrap up, which they don't.

Here's another spoilery part for you. My new favorite character died!

The Verdict

AQUAMAN #23 may not offer the stunning conclusion that the fans really deserve, but the ride is a tremendous amount of fun. The action sequences are fantastic and everything comes together very smoothly. Pelletier's art is really top notch and does a stellar job of telling John's story. On top of everything else, Reis' colors really bring the art to life. Topo kicks some major butt here, and I'm really hoping we get to see him in some future issues. However, for all this to wrap up, we have to wait until October, which is a huge bummer.

This continues to be a stand-out series at DC, and the creative team is really re-establishing Aquaman as a top tier character. The stories in this series are worth reading and add a lot of depth to his mythos. This is a series you should be reading.

tchalla3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Always been a fan of Aquaman, glad this series is doing him justice. And Topo rocks!

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

GLORY TO TOPO!!!

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a splendid issue, from start to finish. I really can't wait for october! Seeing Urn die was so sad, especially after how badass he was defending Arthur and Mera,

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy said:

This was a splendid issue, from start to finish. I really can't wait for october! Seeing Urn die was so sad, especially after how badass he was defending Arthur and Mera,

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw said:

GLORY TO TOPO!!!

I can't help but give props to Johns for revitalizing Aquaman. EVERYTHING people used to make fun of him for can now be countered with a single scan from an issue.

I hope Johns stays on Aquaman as long as he did GL

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Recently caught up on Aquaman, Gonna be great reading this!

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I loved the ending, and the issue overall.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No beard!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#9 inferiorego  Staff
    Paragon_Sean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Topo spread was glorious! Personally, I found this issue to be quite satisfying. I can't wait for October!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Wow the last page surprised me. Awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

This issue was pointless. Every plotline going was unresolved.

• What happened to Ocean Master?
    • What happened to Atlantis?
    • What happened to Scavenger?
    • What happened to the rebels from Xebel?

This isn't how a competent writer ends anything.

Edit: My apologies, thought this was the final issue of the arc.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This comic shows how powerful Aquaman is. He can summon a giant octopus to do his work for him ! The ending was shocking. I cant wait to see what happened to Atlantis

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury: The end of the story arc isn't until issue 25.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jslab425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@illo_29@jake_fury Originally this issue was to be the full conclusion of the arc...then artist deadlines and such necessitated the Ostrander The Others "fill-in" issue and since Villains Month was already planned, Death Of A King had to be extended. Johns has said Aquaman (and most other books) will feature stories that occur prior to Forever Evil & then will catch up when the 7-issue series concludes. That's another reason for 11 issues of Batman: Zero Year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslab425: Nice, thanks for the info my man.

ajshadowhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

This was so, so good. I loved every moment. With all the great art that Paul Pelletier and Sean Parsons are putting out, I don't miss Ivan and Joe as much :D And that ending or rather, the final three-four pages, were excellent. Can't wait for #24!

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

i dont remember anyone dying. who died or whom do you think is dead?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.