Why doesn't aquaman have hydrokinesis?

#1 Edited by RavenKingXXX (244 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously this seems like a no brainer. Everyone says that aquaman is useless outside of the ocean, which is kinda true cause the only thing he brings to the table is controlling fish which requires large bodies of water(cause one goldfish ain't gonna do jack). If he had hydrokinesis he would have some use cause

1. There is water in the air so he always has access to it

2. It's a no brainer

He could be walking down mainstreet and he see some bank robbers and then he looks at a fire hydrant and the top comes off and then he uses the water to stop the crooks. Pretty basic stuff.

Someone tell me why??????

#3 Posted by StormShadow_X (16221 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh.

I thought he'd get it standardly in his power set with the new 52 like Shazam got lightning.

I guess if he did Mera wouldn't be as cool.

#4 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

I've wondered that for so damn long. It's a no brainer and a great way to stop people from saying he sucks. Give the people what they want!

#5 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36478 posts) - - Show Bio

Uhhh, Aquaman Water Hand?......

#6 Posted by Drmagic (1632 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't hydrokinesis a trait of some ancient atlanteans like mera, like that thery are a different race or something

#7 Posted by SoA (6246 posts) - - Show Bio

he is fine without it .

#8 Posted by ZeroSuitUser (906 posts) - - Show Bio
@lukehero said:

Uhhh, Aquaman Water Hand?......

Or a magical trident that manipulates the elements, but whatever.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#9 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (8980 posts) - - Show Bio

But he has a giant Seahorse tho...

#10 Posted by KingWillie (597 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is usless cuz he can only talk to gold fish?? Uhh... he is also super fucking strong...

#11 Edited by EcstaticGrace (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally prefer the Elemental Trident and Telepathy.

The WH would be a cool relic but I don't want Aquaman to have the same ability to control water as Mera who does it mentally while like I prefer Aquaman does it with his trident.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17920 posts) - - Show Bio

He had it when he had the water hand. He doesn't haven those innate powers anymore. My guess is that him not having it (without aid from his new trident that is)helps diversify him from his supporting cast.

#13 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously this seems like a no brainer. Everyone says that aquaman is useless outside of the ocean, which is kinda true cause the only thing he brings to the table is controlling fish which requires large bodies of water(cause one goldfish ain't gonna do jack). If he had hydrokinesis he would have some use cause

1. There is water in the air so he always has access to it

2. It's a no brainer

He could be walking down mainstreet and he see some bank robbers and then he looks at a fire hydrant and the top comes off and then he uses the water to stop the crooks. Pretty basic stuff.

Someone tell me why??????

Aquaman is also super-strong and a skilled fighter, especially with his sword/trident. Pretty sure he's also super fast, or at least faster than a human. Mera already this power too, so AC doesn't really need it.

I think its odd... he is somewhat a magical character that dose not use very much magic and has a preference for brawn over brains... (kind of like Thor)... it would make sense that he uses a form of hydrokinesis (or what ever the magical word for it is) when moving through water since if he really swims at the speeds he dose the maths on his strength and stamina is crazy high.... one of the reasons i like Kaldur from Young Justice is his diverse use of water constructs combined with magic electrical attacks when he fights.

Why would his high strength, speed, and stamina make sense for Hydrokinsis?

I've wondered that for so damn long. It's a no brainer and a great way to stop people from saying he sucks. Give the people what they want!

The people that say Aquaman sucks likely have never read an Aquaman book, and even if he did have that power, that same group of people would still think he sucks because of Super Friends. It's not something he really needs.

#14 Posted by Ashrym (2773 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who thinks Aquaman is useless outside of the ocean needs to read his comics.

The reason Aquaman doesn't have hydrokinesis is because it's a Xebellion lineage ability and his telepathy is his Atlantean lineage ability. It would also take away from his wife, Mera's, ability because that's what she does. Considering the abilities he has with his latest trident it's best to allow him large scale options like storms and tsunami's and leave her with fine control just to give her ability relevance unless the plan is to keep her in Atlantis ruling in his stead and become less active in his series.

The guy already throws submarines, teleports and moves and super speeds, bullets bounce of him, creates ice and lightning and earthquakes, sees in the dark and has super hearing, heals injuries at insane rates, jumps on to moving supersonic jets, and tips waitresses enough to put 2 children through college for a meal he didn't even eat. How much more can a person add before deciding he's also part Kryptonian? ;-)

#15 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: get over it dude, he needs hydrokinesis

#16 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthdeadpool: He's stabbing people with a transforming trident that controls Ice, Earth, and Lightning. What's more kickass than that?

#19 Edited by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenkingxxx said:

Everyone says that aquaman is useless outside of the ocean, which is kinda true cause the only thing he brings to the table is controlling fish which requires large bodies of water(cause one goldfish ain't gonna do jack). If he had hydrokinesis he would have some use cause

This is false. He is strong enough to hurt superman.

Also hydrokinesis is something his people have to learn, I guess he didn't bother learning it.

Also pre 52 he has telepathy, he has controlled humans via mind control because they evolved from sea life

he is pretty durable, and invulnerable if he is hydrated enough.

the whole "he only talks to sea animals" low balling is getting quite old, and he is one of the bottom characters I care about.

#20 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: and why would he control earth and lightning but not water? And control ice but can't control water?

#22 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthdeadpool: Seems redundant when Mera and I believe Garth, already have that power don't you think? Then what would they do without their unique powers?

#23 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthdeadpool: Cause it's The Trident that does that. Not an abilities he'd otherwise have.

#24 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: I read a good amount of n52 aquaman.... does anyone actually care about mera? I'd rather see aquaman do it, or have mera at least train him in it

#25 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthdeadpool: People love Mera. Plus, she's a huge part of his supporting cast. A strong supporting cast is tough to pull off, but Aquaman has that and part of it is that diversity in powers and skills. Aquaman is a super Atlantean. Mera from an offshooting race. It works.

#26 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: alright well they need to give him a base power more than strong durable, talks to fish, etc...

#27 Posted by kgb725 (18105 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor deserves it more

#28 Edited by EcstaticGrace (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthdeadpool said:

@scouterv: and why would he control earth and lightning but not water? And control ice but can't control water?

Because those are powers of Poseidon and since this Poseidon Blessing and Neptune Trident are new we still don't know his extent with this power.

So far he's said to have control over the storm, lightning, earth, ice, air and I believe sea some stuff need to be shown though and he has teleportation and whatever Poseidon's blessing adds like protection from a bane field.

If he ever gets another power added I'm still rooting for just making him a telepathy with sea life empathy.

@kgb725 said:

Namor deserves it more

The power I'd like to see Namor get again would be the sealife mimicry ability was really unique.

#29 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman had hydrokinesis in the past and can currently control the elements witrh Poseidon's trident.

Also Mera has hydrokinesis and for some misguided reason although Aquaman has had hydrokinesis in most other mediums (movies, tv series, video games, card games) or some alternate versions (Aquaman 1000000, Earth-3 Sea King, Earth-6 Aquaman, Earth-2 Aquawoman, Earth-9 Aquaman, etc) writers don't want to commit to that.

Anyway the current trident can certainly control ice and lightning, so maybe he can control water as well (but even if he can't, controling Ice is as close as it gets)

But to answer the question in short, Mera has it, so I guess Aquaman would overshadow her by alot if he also had that power (I don't agree with that opinion, but some writers seem to think so) since he is by far the physically strongest Atlantean / super Atlantean .

Plus as already been stated in other threads, Aquaman can probably deal the most damage to a single target via his Trident out of all the JL (maybe Flash with time travel and phasing can match him). We saw that against Darkseid, Graves, Morgana Lefay, etc.

He doesn't need hydrokinesis, but it wouldn't hurt.

#30 Edited by Night_Raven (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you know anything at all about Aquaman?? If you did then you'd know he's far from useless on land. If he was, that would make characters like Thing, Colossus, etc. even more pointless given that Arthur is stronger, faster and has better weaponry than them even when on land.

Hydrokinesis would be a fine addition, but it's hardly needed and would make Mera feel a little redundant. I like that his new trident allows him more powers, but he's never needed hyrdrokinesis as a standard power set before.

#31 Posted by Impervious (5603 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe because he's not a full blooded Atlantean?

#32 Posted by MaxSavage (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always wondered that! It just seems logical to me that the man known as Aquaman would have some elemental abilities over his namesake. For instance, one of the main reasons why I loved Young Justice was Aqualad/Kaldur because his powers were so cool and practical in combat. I think if they (DC) don't want to give him those cool powers because of atlantean lineage or whatever, his trident should be able to do those things and until this new arc, his old trident did nothing but look pretty.

#33 Edited by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@impervious:

1. Full bloodied Atlanteans do not have hydrokinesis.

2. Full bloodied Xebelians have hydrokinesis (an Atlantean colony that evolved differently over the centuries)

3. Mera is Xebelian, that's why she has hydrokinesis. Normal Atlanteans do not have hydrokinesis.

4. Aquaman by being a) a hybrid, b) of royal blood and c) blond hair is the most physically powerful Atlantean ever.

The fact that Aquaman is not full bloodied Atlantean is one of his strengths, not weaknesses.

@maxsavage:

LOL

His Trident did far more than "look pretty".

It was the only thing to pierce Darkseid's chest, break Graves forcefield and did stuff like deflect magic. It is one of the most powerful (if not the most powerful) melee weapons in the DCnU and is completely indestructible.

The new trident is all that plus the elemental powers and teleportation stuff.

#34 Edited by MaxSavage (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: The trident he had could have been replaced with a pitch fork lol, it was useless, The Trident of Neptune had no supernatural powers or mystical properties other than being a symbol of Atlantean royalty, giving Aquaman unrestricted right and lordship over the various oceans of the world.

#35 Posted by Ashrym (2773 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: The trident he had could have been replaced with a pitch fork lol, it was useless, The Trident of Neptune had no supernatural powers or mystical properties other than being a symbol of Atlantean royalty, giving Aquaman unrestricted right and lordship over the various oceans of the world.

The trident he had was about as useless as Wolverine's adamantium skeleton and claws. It had the indestructible cuts anything motif going on. It was also used to open ancient portals like the one where Hercules was imprisoned. Bit more than just symbolic as one of the ancient artifacts.

#36 Edited by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

Uhm, not really. Especially if you take into account his support cast. Especially Mera. If too many people are sharing the same power it makes them less unique. Mera and Garth both control water but in different ways, with Garth doing so by magic along with controlling its temperatures. Addiing Arthur is redundant.

Besides, Aquaman being the king of the sea has nothing to do with water powers.

Also if you're one who thinks Aquaman can't do anything outside of water, then you're just not paying attention. That's tantamount to saying Spider Man can't do anything without his web shooters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.