Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Should New 52 Aquaman develop Hydrokinesis?

• 58 results
    Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Should New 52 Aquaman develop Hydrokinesis? (44 votes)

Yes , it would be awesome 64%
    No , I like his power set the way it is 36%

Since The New 52 version of Aquaman is suppose to be bad*** and probably the strongest version of Aquaman we have seen , I think it would be awesome if he developed the ability to control water like his wife Mera. This could make his powerset more unique. His only powers connecting him to Atlantis is the ability to breathe underwater and communicate with fish. I think giving him Hydrokinesis would make his powers more Atlantean based. Plus he could do bad*** things like make water sharks.

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not even sure what hydrohydrokinesis is but yes. I believe he should be basically unstoppable in the sea.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BlackWind

No. There is no point in this. It would honestly be generic, not unique. He doesn't need any"Atlantean" powers because hydrokinesis isn't an Atlantean ability. It isn't specific to them.

That's Mera's thing. And of you give it to Aquaman as well that would make her less unique in fights alongside him. Its good that she can do something he can't do. If everyone in a group shares the same powers then it gets boring, which is why I never enjoyed a fight scene with Lorena Aquagirl.

If Aquaman is to get any additional power ups, it should either be his TP being increased again, or something with his trident. And as a matter of fact, his current conflict with Chimera is the perfect chance to boost his TP somehow. Though I doubt it will happen.

emad_ishtiaque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be great. But I wonder how they would develop it. Magic hand, through the magic of the trident? etc etc.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind Mera is not the only person In Atlantis who can control water. Kaldur and Garth can also control water. and when I stated that his powers would be unique , I was referring to his role on the Justice League. He shares super strength , speed , agility , durability with superman and wonder woman. He just so happens to have a trident and can communicate with sea life. So giving him hydrokinesis would make his power set on the team unique. And hydrokinesis can come from the trident if you have a problem with Aquaman being able to do it by himself.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Pass.

*If* we're going to give him a new power, have a story line where his telepathy evolves and becomes more powerful back to Pre-52 levels or expand the Trident's powerset as they've continually hinted at.

Or let him carry the other Atlantean relics as Standard Gear, that would be badass.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Knightfall225

@justthatkid Yes, I can't believe I forgot about MM too. He needs more " King of The Ocean " powers. Creating constructs out of water would be a cool upgrade. I think your idea about using the trident would probably work the best because the "magic" trident hasn't really done much magic in the New 52 yet..well besides stab people.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sacredweapons

@jayc1324 said:

Not even sure what hydrohydrokinesis is but yes. I believe he should be basically unstoppable in the sea.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No, it takes away from Mera who is probably the best love interest of the current JL 7.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 How would it take away from Mera when other atlanteans have been shown to have the same ability as well.

Avatar image for the_judge_since_83
    The_Judge_since_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, absolutely not, Aquaman is great the way he is, I would hate to see him develop hydrokinesis, or lose a hand, or any of the other things writers have tried in the past. Aquaman is doing better now than he has probably ever done in comic books, and that's with him being the classic Aquaman, no beard, no hook, no water hand, no anything else added. Keep the classic Aquaman I say.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_judge_since_83 i didn't say anything about giving Aquaman a hook , a beard , or a water hand. In the New 52 they have been teasing that the trident has a magic power so why not have the trident control the water. And lol this is not classic Aquaman. He has been highly upgraded since the New 52 started , thats why he is doing great now. Classic Aquaman is super friends Aquaman and no one wants that Aquaman to come back.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Superguy1591

@knightfall225: In their relationship, they often team up and fight together. If both have the same ability, it takes away from Mera in the team ups.

Let Mera be special.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_judge_since_83: I agree, I can't stand when they try to make Aquaman a "badass" by making him into a major tool. Bruce Timm's Aquaman was such a tool, I couldn't stand him. I seriously doubt he was a loved king.

Just make Aquaman the majestic being he's supposed to be and people will like him as I've come to like him. He's almost in my top 5.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Okae I can see what you mean about Mera n

Being special. I just think Aquaman needs an ability that sets him apart from his JL members. A power only he could possess

Avatar image for the_judge_since_83
    The_Judge_since_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightfall225: I'm not saying you said to give him a hook or any of the above things I mentioned, I've just seen and heard some say that so I was just giving a thorough explanation of my opinion. As for classic Aquaman being super friends material I'd go check again, in his first issue, More fun comics #73, he punches a hole into a submarine, as well as breaking chains in a very Superman esque fashion. Then of course the Justice League came around and they reduced what he could do to swimming and talking to fish because it was the thing that he could do that no other member could do, it was what made him special. Unfortunately that got out of hand for years and thanks to Superfriends got over publicized (not sure if I spelled that right). Even before the new 52 though he was back to being a heavy hitter, weather it was in the silver age where he was performing feats like breaking giant guns from their moorings or in more modern stories dragging giant sea cruisers through the water, punching holes in submarines again, physically rocking ships, holding up buildings or what have you. So while I see a lot of people claim he's been upgraded, I disagree, he's just getting more consistency at a power level which he's already displayed he could perform at.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_judge_since_83: hmm you raise very good points. Lol i totally agree about the swimming and talking to fish getting out of hand . I also surprisingly agree with you on your consistency point. Pre 52 had badass moments ( like in Flashpoint when he went toe to toe with WW) but they weren't as consistent as they are now. Almost Every issue of Aquaman new 52 has him performing an amazing feat of power and strength. Hmmm I suppose you won this argument lol good job .you backed your point up with good facts , gets you a long way on comicvine where people constantly have disagreements.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BlackWind

@justthatkid: @knightfall225: Kaldur doesn't exist right now. And Garth is a child right now. I didn't say she was the only person in Atlantis who could do it. She is the only person in the current Aqua family who can and the only one who fights by his side in his book. Also considering Neruses had hydrokinesis, its likely a common ability in Xebel. In a flashback someone was training Mera and hit her with water(Probably her father), which lends further weight to this.

Also then water hand was so ridiculous. It was meant for healing, not fighting. When the Lady of the Lake disappeared, the rules of the hand did too. I don't see why Arthur needs a fake hand anyway. That's such a sloppy, unnecessary way of doing it.

Arthur is the king of the sea in the same way Tarzan is king of the jungle. He doesn't necessarily need to be shooting water out of his hands. However if he is to get any additional abilities, they should come from the trident itself. They've been messing around, implying it can do something but we haven't seen jack. Even from when Atlan took it.

This would just reek of "trying to make Aquaman cool" when it should be what it already is. A badass doesn't so badass things. They make their actions badass.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Okae I can see what you mean about Mera n

Being special. I just think Aquaman needs an ability that sets him apart from his JL members. A power only he could possess

Diplomatic immunity?

Look, the thing I'm seeing a lot of here, is that Hydrokinesis is to make his powers more unique.
    How does that work when Green Lantern/Power Ring already do that with Light?

While I think a new power would be cool, I think AC is good to go already. The only thing I would add, despite a lot of offense to it, is a Water Hand. Mostly for the look, but I think it should serve as another symbol of Atlantean Kingship. (The Trident in the right hand, the power of the seven seas in the left.) Offer him a limited form of Hydrokinesis, as in using only the water in his hand (and give it a finite amount.) Not that he has to lose his hand, though. Just have the Trident turn his hand into water as the rightful King.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
    batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A badass doesn't so badass things. They make their actions badass.

Like that one shot page of Arthur leveling his half-bro with one mighty punch and then taking his throne in grand style, "I'm your King, now!" Man, that was some finale to the Throne of Atlantis Arc.

@justthatkid: The thing about giving Arthur hydrokinesis, or water control is that it would require the writers to somehow connect him to the Xebel. Since, all the Xebel are connected to the water control powers, even Garth and Kaldur has some connection to the Xebel.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Aquaman was more powerful pre-52.

He is already unique, he command sea life, swin, breath underwater, survive under high pressure, super senses, has a kngdom to back him, and a sort of wife with him. That's fine.

batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Mera's Twin sister might be Garth's mother. It was indicated in the Blackest Night arc in Green Lantern. I think New52 just expanded the story of Xebel, but they are still the outsiders or one of the outsiders out of 3 or 4 separated groups, when the Atlantis was sunk. It was talked about in the recent issues of Aquaman. I think the power is unique to the group and not associated to common ancestor, ancient Atlantean.

batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New52 wise by the way there were atleast 7 main parts of the continent of Atlantis there could of been smaller areas around those with people. Xebel originated from one of the 7 but I believe they were all connected until Atlan sank Atlantis

Yeah, forgot how many separate colonies were there. I mean, yes, they were all part of Atlantis before the sinking, but I think the unique powers of Xebel might have originated after the fall of Atlantis. Just as the Trench became what they became.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@knightfall225: so....if several people in Atlantis can do it.....how would it be making Arthur's power set more unique?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hes called Aquaman not fish boy its only right he would be able to control water. What does the water even do for him ?

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: unique in the Justice League. Think about it. All of Aquaman's abilities are already taken by the JL members. Super strength , durability , superhuman speed , and agility are already taken by superman and Wonderwoman. The only thing that sets him apart from them is that he swims fast and can breathe underwater . Martian Manhunter has telepathy so Aquaman's communication with fish is less unique when you think about it. Aquman doesn't have anything that sets him apart power wise. Superman's numerous powers like ice breathe , vortex breath , x Ray vision ,ect . Set him apart from his JL members. So does WW with her lasso of truth that forces people to tell the truth and her braclets that deflect about anything. Though Aquaman also has a weapon , his trident , it doesn't do anything besides stab people. The flash has the speed force and can warp time sometimes so that sets him apart .MM can shapeshift so that also sets him apart. But when you get to Aquaman the only thing he has is fish and trident. The tv show Superfriends put more attention on what set each member apart from the other and all Aquman had was communicating with fish and breathing under water.

And think about it . You said if Atlanteans possess hydrokinesis how would it make him unique right. Well we can all agree that Green Lantern has a unique powerset compared to his fellow JL members but if GL were to go into his space sector , there would be thousands of other green lanters in the corps with the same ability as him. Does that make his powers less unique compared to the other JL memebers? Nope.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I agree , I also just want a good reason why he shouldn't have it , besides the lame " it would make Mera less special " excuse . If that were true we would say the same things about the green lantern corps . When Hal Jordan and John Stewart team up , we don't think of one of them being less special . Also with Wonderwoman , she has the abilities and skills of a regular amazon , but since she is their leader she also possess skills and powers that the regular amazons cannot possess. But for some reason Aquaman doesn't possess all of the abilities of some regular Atlanteans. , even though he is their King.the only thing Aquman gets for being a leader is higher strength and speed levels . O and a "magic " trident . I'm not sure if I'm right but I think the Dead kings trident could freeze people . But for some reason Aquaman's trident does nothing

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightfall225: that's because they go through lengths to distinguish the ways different GLs use their powers. How would Aquaman utilize his powers differently from Mera.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Knightfall225
    No Caption Provided

Mera mainly used her powers to create animal water constructs though sometimes she creates vortexs with her power as well

No Caption Provided

Kaldur used hydrokinesis to create swords and axes with water pressure . So I'm pretty sure Aquaman could find his own way to utilize the power.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say make it so the trident can make waves, that way Mera is still useful, but Aquaman still feels like a true king of the sea

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever That could work as well because in the New 52 series they constantly call the trident magical but it never does anything magical but stab people.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman isn't all that useful on the League, despite the fact that Johns is writing it. So yes, I think he could use an amp of some kind. I'm ambivalent as to what that amp would be, TP, water hand, hydrokenesis, tech upgrades, or otherwise.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kgb725

@justthatkid: Thats terrible I knew he got healed in water and was stronger in water not sure on that. But it makes sense for him to control water. His body should be faster in water because its made for it

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt my bad.look at the post above it. well above CaptinMarvel4ever's post

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightfall225: gotcha. I'd like to see him utilize his tridents supposed powers more often.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BlackWind

@knightfall225: @justthatkid: In regards to Garth and Kaldur I was talking to the OP. I can't quite since I'm on a phone. Sorry about the confusion. I also never mentioned anyone in the Justice League once.

Anyhow, Mera has always had hydrokinesis as part of her power set. It wouldn't make her "useless" it would make her less unique to give Aquaman a power she has always had and he hasn't. He has an ability she doesn't. She has an ability he doesn't. It balances them and doesn't toss the same powers around like other superhero families.

I do however agree with Knightfall225 in that Kaldur and Mera at least have different ways of using water. So I don't really when mind with them. Tempest even had his own unique mix of magic and hydrokinesis. I don't see why one more needs to be added.

Also only Xebel natives have shown hydrokinesis. It isn't an Atlantean exclusive ability. Also Atlan himself used ice, it had nothing to do with the Trident. Also AQ is currently the only Atlantean we have seen who has telepathy. Not even Atlan had that.

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel it is no question aquaman gets hydrokinisis...

What happens when Aquamans is by himself without Mera fighting ...I think Aquaman showing superior abilities over all of people just shows how Aquaman is supposed to be king he is.

He already exhibits higher strength, durability , land longevity, sea creature tp, swim speed,etc...why not let him access other water based abilities...and Atlantis magic...turn up lol

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By Raw_Material

Yes, it only seems right. I mean maybe not as strong as Mera's hydrokenisis, knowing that is what makes them uniquely different and powerful in their own way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.