Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4624 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Poseidon

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlackWind

I realise it may be too early to bring in such a character, but we have seen him in the Wonder Woman book a few times, and I was curious what place the god of the seas would have in a New 52 Aquaman book.

Thoughts?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By John Valentine

It'd be interesting to see how the various higher powers fit into the seemingly unrelated DC character mythologies.

For example, Aquaman and Poseiden, The Rot and the Black Lantern Corps, The Red/Green and the White Lantern Corps etc.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By comicfan11

Makes perfect sense for Poseidon to make an appearance in Aquaman (or AQ in WW in a story with Poseidon)

Also making AQ somewhat of a "chosen one" for Poseidon like he was during PAD's series would make for some great stories.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By csguterres

Makes perfect sense for Poseidon to make an appearance in Aquaman (or AQ in WW in a story with Poseidon)

Also making AQ somewhat of a "chosen one" for Poseidon like he was during PAD's series would make for some great stories.

Hey, friend, in PAD's series Poseidon was an antagonist! He sent his son Triton to kill Arthur once.

And in the Silver Age, Poseidon tried to steal Mera from Arthur and was ready to destroy Atlantis to do it.

And how I would like Poseidon to show up: A Bigger Bad who is empowering many of Aquaman's villains, whose goal is to overthrow Arthur and to be worshipped by atlanteans (Like Shadow Lord from Deltora Quest series)

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By comicfan11

@csguterres: He was some kind of antagonist, but in the end he gave AQ part of his power, after AQ save him from Hades (where Triton send him)

Also I'm pretty sure the Silver Age Poseidon you mention was an impostor.

He could also work as a big bad, but he is a god, and no superhero should be able to take on an Olympian, especially one of the big three (Zeus, Poseidon, Hades)

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By csguterres

@comicfan11 said:

@csguterres: He was some kind of antagonist, but in the end he gave AQ part of his power, after AQ save him from Hades (where Triton send him)

Also I'm pretty sure the Silver Age Poseidon you mention was an impostor.

He could also work as a big bad, but he is a god, and no superhero should be able to take on an Olympian, especially one of the big three (Zeus, Poseidon, Hades)

No, he didn't gave his powers to AQ. He killed Triton stabbing him with his trident, the he dropped it, saying he didn't want to use that trident anymore. And then Arthur just took the trident xD

But the trident itself was so evil in nature that drove Tempest mad a few issues later (fortunately he got better tough)

No Caption Provided

And the Silver Age Poseidon was not an imposter, you can read about that issue here http://www.comicvine.com/aquaman-the-man-who-vanquished-aquaman/37-7275/

I also don't think Arthur should be able to take him out, that's why I compared him to the Shadow Lord in Deltora series (another good comparison would be Sauron from the Lord of The Rings)

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By comicfan11

@csguterres: I meant issue #34, where Poseidon gives AQ some part of godly power after he defeats Triton in the duel. Poseidon says something along the lines "you think you can handle the powers of a god?" and then AQ goes blind for an issue (the one with Animal Man). Not the later issues where Triton has already banished Poseidon. My bad.

And you are correct about the Silver Age issue, it is indeed Poseidon, though in a more "goofy" silver age story.

I am not aware of the Deltora series, but yeah Poseidon should always be above "normal" heroes (and villains)

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlackWind

Pre 52 Poseidon was pretty dickish to Arthur, hell he even blinded him. But he also had a grudging respect for him and claimed he considers Aquaman to be one of his sons as well, even though Arthur represents much of what annoys him in mortals. And IIRC he owes Arthur a favor for saving him from Hades.

And Aquaman should should no match for Po Po.

I'd like to see Poseidon rekindle his reluctant respect for Arthur, but still have the typical Olympian jerkassness to him.

Triton on the other hand should be a flat out villain.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Raw_Material

Maybe that was Poseidon in the shadows of the underwater cave and we'll be seeing the likes of him in Aquaman #18.

My guesses so far as to who that character was are Poseidon or Triton.

Anyone have any other guesses as to who it might be?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Veshark

@ckuakini said:

Maybe that was Poseidon in the shadows of the underwater cave and we'll be seeing the likes of him in Aquaman #18.

My guesses so far as to who that character was are Poseidon or Triton.

Anyone have any other guesses as to who it might be?

According to solicits, he's the 'Ice King' or something along those lines. Mythological god? Or new character? Guess we'll have to find out...

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raw_Material

@Veshark: When the shadowy figure comes out of the cave, his location is in Antarctica, so this might be a possibility that this might be Poseidon.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlackWind

@ckuakini: Doubt it. It's far too early for Poseidon to show.

But I'd like him to, while not be Aquaman's friend, be moree neutral and let his son be the villain.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Raw_Material

First sightings of the potential Poseidon in the New 52

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.