Jason Momoa's Aquaman Costume Revealed

Posted by k4tzm4n (41737 posts) - - Show Bio

Love or hate Man of Steel -- and we all know just how polarizing that movie can be -- it's tough not to get at least a little excited for director Zack Snyder's follow-up, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Not only is this the first time the two iconic characters will appear together on the big screen, but it's also going to be the movie that takes big steps to expand the DC Cinematic Universe and tease or possibly even form the Justice League. We know Aquaman's going to have some kind of role in it. How extensive? That obviously hasn't been revealed yet. But you know what has been revealed? His costume design! Snyder took to Twitter very late last night (like, 12:55 EST) to offer us our very first look at actor Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry, a.k.a. Aquaman!

No Caption Provided

There's probably two common reactions going on right now: "badass" or "where's the color?" To the first one, yeah, we agree. Then again, making Momoa look not badass is a pretty tough feat, isn't it? Even if you think it looks cool, try not to let "hype" wash over you. So many fans seem to have their minds made up before a movie is released. So, instead of arguing with your fellow comic book fans about whether this movie will "rule" or "suck," let's try waiting to see the quality of the movie before deciding and mudslinging, yeah? In the meantime, looks like a cool costume and hopefully his role is just as cool, too. As for the lack of color, maybe Snyder is using a filter like he did in some of his previous photos? We know the movie likely won't have a bright, all-ages and lighthearted tone, but you can see even the actor's skin appears to be somewhat grey (50 Shades of Momoa). We're hoping the shade of gold/yellow on his armor will be a little brighter in the final product and we're left wondering what color his pants are. (This is an important question, people!) We're thinking they're a very dark shade of green, possibly with some black or dark blue meshed in. Still, that definitely looks like someone who can command respect and stand up to Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman in a debate or even physical conflict. Oh, there's probably a third reaction: "how'd he get tattoos?"We're talking about a movie in which a dude shoots heat vision from his eyes and a human dresses like a bat and then fights crime. There's a demigod as well. I'm pretty sure they can justify Arthur getting tattoos at some point.

It's easy to immediately think "unite the seven" applies to the seven seas because, well, Aquaman. However, we're thinking it's referring to the seven members of the Justice League. Fingers crossed this means more costume reveals are on the way. We're hoping Cyborg is next. I mean, we already have a cool looking Flash racing around on TV at the moment.

No Caption Provided

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice opens March 25, 2016. Aquaman is set for 2018.

Source: Twitter

#1 Posted by Saren (27933 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminder that anyone who dislikes the beard is a Mera alt, just ignore

#2 Posted by sparty-dbq (967 posts) - - Show Bio

Are we sure he's playing Aquaman and not Poseidon?

#3 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really liking it.

#4 Posted by sparty-dbq (967 posts) - - Show Bio

Are we sure he's playing Aquaman and not Poseidon?

#5 Edited by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess when you cast Jason Mamoa you're going for a specific look.

No Caption Provided

#6 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the tattoos.

DC continues to go into the dark, bleak, edgy road. Meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#7 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not a bad character design, but I don't think it's a good Aquaman design.

#8 Posted by Mucklefluga (2653 posts) - - Show Bio

Effing ace. I love it.

#9 Posted by _ANDY_CAN (381 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome

#10 Posted by shroudofsorrow (5778 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who thinks he looks just a bit like Thorin Oakenshield?

As for the lack of color, I think it's mostly just because they sapped the color from the photo on purpose. That said, I suspect his final look will still not have much color and instead be more like Wonder Woman and Batman's confirmed looks: monochromatic.

Well, here's hoping they don't just give the Flash a generic black bodysuit, or worse, jeans and a red hoodie.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
#11 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it looks pretty badass

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

O dg hdhdjbfjfjfjjfjfjfjf!

YES Neptune damn it! This is exactly what I wanted an looks a lot like the fan art I've been posting.

#13 Edited by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio

My only "complaint" is that he isn't wearing enough armor. But besides that, this looks awesome.

Also, inb4 the "DC hates color" comments.

They're trying to set a tone.

#14 Posted by SaintWildcard (21714 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the tattoos.

DC continues to go into the dark, bleak, edgy road. Meh.

Agreed, this guy would never challenge a villain to a dance off. F-ing lame.

#15 Edited by Captain13 (4769 posts) - - Show Bio

The trident looks Kryptonian.

What will Flash look like?

#16 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3976 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it and can't wait for a full body image. I do wonder if the catchphrase is in reference to the JL or to the seven seas. I suspect the former, though.

#17 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12356 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it. I'm intrigued by the "Unite the seven" slogan too. It could be homage to uniting the 7 seas or the Justice League, very cryptic. ...Awesome, I've been starving for some new intel on what Synder is cooking up for the DCCU

#18 Posted by Koays (11039 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy Crap....awesome

#19 Posted by SUNMAN (8588 posts) - - Show Bio

super cool count me in

#20 Posted by Captain13 (4769 posts) - - Show Bio

"Seven hells, Ned!"

Loading Video...

#21 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by NukeA6 (914 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad they went a little 90s with it.

#23 Edited by KritikalMassX (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

The irony of this is that Momoa would've been a good candidate as a live-action Namor (should Marvel decides to make a movie about him). Now the costume...While I do like the look, I'm a bit on the fence with its dark and gritty tone.

Yeah, we get it, DC...You want to be the opposite of the MCU.

#24 Edited by Mrnoital (7972 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome, love it

and before someone says "that doesn't look anything like Aquaman"

remember the 90's

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#25 Edited by SaintWildcard (21714 posts) - - Show Bio

While I'm not in love with this look, I can't say he doesn't look like a badass. But I still think the original would have been a lot better.

#26 Edited by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

IT'S....

BOOTIFUL

I dig the tattoos and love the A on the belt.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
#27 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

That is a good look, but one that I did not expect to see.

#28 Posted by GraniteSoldier (12746 posts) - - Show Bio

I dig it. Very intimidating.

#29 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

That is a good look, but one that I did not expect to see.

Really, what were you expecting?

#30 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (19968 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: Scales to be honest.

Just based on all the other characters Momoa has played I figured this would be the direction they'd go.

#32 Posted by kennybaese (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely reminiscent of the 90's Auqaman design, and since 90's Aquaman is the only good thing about 90's superhero comics, I approve.

Also, I really dig how the tattoos mirror the patterns in the armor pieces.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Close, very close!

#34 Posted by comicbookfan93 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it! Yes he looks badass and not sure if the tattoos are because Momoa is quite heavily tattooed anyway so it's easier to work them into the outfit

#35 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

Its awesome.. its Badass!

#36 Edited by FIXER22 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it rocks. I was always a fan of the bearded one handed Aquaman. He looked more rugged. He looked like he had been thru some tough times. Just my opinion. I think this is outstanding. I for one loved Man of Steel. I kept hearing the whole "war of the worlds" comparison, but it's Superman!!!! He doesn't do anything BUT epic and the movie to me was epic. I wasn't to sure how the dark would translate to Superman, but I thought it did, and I thought it did well. This gets me excited.

#37 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (19968 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by Captain13 (4769 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

I hope this happens.

#39 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

#40 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

Very very good. Not trying to start a flame war but so far the JL look like they'll eat the avengers alive.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#41 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like he should be hanging with Maximus and the boys:

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

No Caption Provided

#43 Posted by mak13131313 (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! Looks awesome!!!

#45 Posted by MonsterStomp (36709 posts) - - Show Bio

No homo, but more definition in his pectoral region couldn't hurt.

As for the colour tone, you aren't the first to think that.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#46 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it.

#47 Posted by IDontLikeBirds (873 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

What he said. I like the design, and there are aspects of it that make me go "Oh look, it's Aquaman", but those are more in the details. It does feel like the usual Momoa look his characters tend to get, and not sure I like the tribal/savage look they're for with Aquaman (if I wanted to get nit picky, I'd like to know how he managed to get tattoos while residing in the water most of the time, especially since new tattoos are not supposed to be submerged in water and also that his skin shouldn't be penetrable like that).

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
#48 Posted by StMichalofWilson (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Badass

#49 Edited by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like Mamoa as Arthur. I would've preferred something less Pacific Islander and more English since he's based off of King Arthur, but I can't complain.

P.S... He bleached the picture, the colors are bleached out. His pants are green.

#50 Posted by RisingBean (9797 posts) - - Show Bio

No complaints from me. Eagerly waiting to see this movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.