James Wan to Direct Aquaman

• 97 results
#51 Posted by PR_1030 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Script by the guy who wrote the 300 movies?

"THIS, IS, ATLANTIS!!!!!!!"

#52 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

@muyjingo: The problem with the Furious movies arent direction, its scripting. Even people who dont like the ones he directed have to admit the action direction is pretty dang awesome. I wasnt in love with Furious 7, but that scene when they drive the car across those 3 skyscrapers was crazy awesome!

I disagree, although I'm aware I'm in the minority.

During Furious 7 I was shocked at just how bad it was. Yes, the dialogue and the script is partly to blame, but I feel it undid everything fast 5 accomplished by fleshing out these characters, and reduced them to overpowered cartoon cliches.

The car going through the skyscrapers didn't excite me at all, nor did the cars with parachutes. Not a single action scene in that movie excited me, because there was never any tension and so it was just boring CGI spectacle. Compare that with the action scenes in Fast 5. By the end when Statham and Dom were fighting I was just waiting for it to be over.

#53 Posted by AbramDaAwesome (246 posts) - - Show Bio

I like most of wan's movies and Aquaman is in my top 10 so I'll definitely keep up to date on any news regarding the film

#54 Posted by noj (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: again, your problems dont have much to do with the direction. Not caring about the characters, or developing them is almost solely a scripting issue. It also probably has something to do with the fact that you actually care about the franchise. Furious 7 was the first one I saw, other than bits and pieces of the first one years ago.

#55 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

@muyjingo: again, your problems dont have much to do with the direction. Not caring about the characters, or developing them is almost solely a scripting issue. It also probably has something to do with the fact that you actually care about the franchise. Furious 7 was the first one I saw, other than bits and pieces of the first one years ago.

You're wrong, and it's kind of arrogant for you to tell me what I have problems with and what I don't. I've worked in film, I'm fully aware of the different aspects of filmmaking and where to attribute problems.

I don't care about the franchise at all really, it's just dumb popcorn entertainment to me. Fast 5 was a good film, almost on the level of Oceans 11. The 6th one was a step down, but still mostly enjoyable. Furious 7 was like a bad parody of all the previous entries in the franchise somehow starring the same actors.

A good director would have the ability to overcome the limitations of the script, and he didn't. Whenever two characters were talking, there was no chemistry or emotion being shown. That's on the director. During the fights, there was no real anger in the fight. Look at the final fight with Statham and compare the first fight with Dom and the rock in fast 5. Again, that's on the director.

I could give more examples, but I'd rather just agree to disagree at this point.

#56 Posted by AbdullahZubair (1039 posts) - - Show Bio

In a 100 years, (almost)everyone alive today will be dead and we would be replaced by a new generation. It would not matter whether you were an actor or engineer, everyone will end up in the same place:grave.

#57 Posted by Deathpool10 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy we have a big or well known director and we know what we are in for!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#58 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9005 posts) - - Show Bio

A mediocre director and lead actor nothing to be excited about.

#59 Posted by Deadgod (2206 posts) - - Show Bio

He created Dead Silence, Insidious & Saw franchise so he's good for me :)

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
#60 Posted by thecowwasdelirious (1585 posts) - - Show Bio

mediocre

#61 Posted by Uk2897 (129 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#62 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@pr_1030 said:

Script by the guy who wrote the 300 movies?

"THIS, IS, ATLANTIS!!!!!!!"

more like

No Caption Provided

#63 Posted by scavengerFist (1935 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopeonfire: huh? How is that racist? Most people in Chinese restaurants are Chinese and that's one of their specialities it's the same as saying you should go work in Mac Donald's to white people or KFC to black people

More than racism, you're ignorant.

You might get slapped in real life.

#64 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard: Flash has Lorde and Miller. Even if WB gets Ben Affleck to direct Batman, Flash probably has the best directors in the DCCU so far.

#65 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

He should just start selling chicken fried rice, his movies are awful.....wait a second for aquaman? And the DCCC? Wow he's a perfect fit mediocre director for a mediocre character for a second rate company

im trying to figure out how this ISNT racist...but...it's not looking good.

This will be Wan hell of a movie. Come on 2018!

No Caption Provided

@muyjingo said:

I'm disappointed with this, purely because of the last fast and the furious.

I watched Fast 5 and it was amazing, but that was Justin Lin. The sequel was a let down but had some good action. The last one though was so unbelievably terrible that I will never see another movie in that franchise, and can not be excited for Aquaman now in any way.

Combined with the fact they want to make him Polynesian instead of Greek for some dumb reason I'll probably just watch it after it's on some kind of streaming service.

Aquaman isn't really Greek though, he's more King Arthur than anything else. Anyway, come on, guys. We've been over this: it's a different Earth. Comic Aquaman will still be Greek...mostly English though.

#66 Posted by Doctor_Ankh (159 posts) - - Show Bio

They are not using Atlantis?

#67 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

Furious 7 was awesome. I know Wan is gonna bring his A-game with this one.

#68 Posted by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, nobody has a problem with the scriptwriter? Okay then...

#69 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@doctor_ankh: they are. In DCs announcement they said something about him being a reluctant king of Atlantis and that after years of humans polluting the earth the Atlantians are preparing to go to war with them. I'm on my phone right but so if I can find the time I'll post the link.

#70 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591 He is definitely Greek. Where in the world did you get English and King Arthur from?

#71 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio
#72 Edited by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591The similarities are general to any ruler or king figure, and are not specific to Arthur and certainly not to England.

#73 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: SInce when is Aquaman Greek? I'm seriously asking becuase I don't know very much about the character.

He is from the East coast US, has blond hair and is named Arthur Curry. Sure, there are probably Greek people in New England, but it's a pretty traditionally WASPy area. Greeks tend to have darker hair and features. Arthur is a English name and Curry is an Irish name.

Do you mean he is Greek because Atlantis started as a Greek myth? Plato was the most famous teller of the tale, but he never said Atlantis was close to Greece. Modern analysis of his tale speculates that he may have inplied that Atlantis was off the southern coast of Spain near the strait of Gibraltar or beyond it in the Atlantic.

Just because it began as a Greek myth doesn't mean Atlantis was in Greece (i.e. the area we refer to as Greece in modern times). It's the same problem people have with the Amazons. In the Trojan war stories, the Amazons were enemies of the Greeks from the Middle-East or North Africa.

Making Aquaman polynesian doesn't really contradict the myth. I far as I remember, after the catastophy that sunk Atlantis, the survivors spread out across the world telling their story. It makes sense that the story could have spread to Greece after thousands of years. Or maybe Atlantis isn't even supposed to be near the Pacific Islands, the only thing that is needed for Arthur to be born is for his Atlantian mother to meet his human father. Maybe she was a long way from home when she met Arthur's dad.

#74 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: Nice reply.

When I say he is Greek, I don't mean his nationality, but his ethnicity and heritage. I thought that was clear, so I'm not sure why you're bring up his name and place of birth. His name comes from his father. His name is completely irrelevant to any point I was making. It's just a name, and has nothing to do with his ancestry. In the comics, Atlantis is undeniably Greek in origin.

Atlantis was definitely Greek in the tales, just as Sparta was. They may not have been unified like modern Greece is, but they were certainly part of the same group of 'countries'. They had the same gods, and had Athens as a trade partner and later an enemy. It's true that Atlantis may not have been intended to be Greek, but I think it would be an uphill battle to prove otherwise when there is an abundance of evidence supporting the notion that Atlantis is, for all intents and purposes, Greek.

The Amazons are no different. Definitely Greek. Just like Sparta. The reason they were enemies is because they were not unified at that stage (like much of the ancient Mediterranean..Egypt, Spain, Israel, Persia etc), but when they have a shared culture and are all within the same proximity, and now share an occupied space, I think it only makes sense to group them together.

What would be your argument for Amazons or Atlanteans (if they were real) not being Greek? That they were warring with Greeks? Well, 'Greeks' didn't exist back then, so that argument doesn't make any kind of sense. It's like trying to claim Sparta wasn't a Greek city. It was. It's just ridiculous to me to try and claim it isn't a Greek myth and wasn't meant to be a Greek city. Also, Atlantis was sunk because they lost favor with the Greek gods. That's pretty specific in the tale.

Like I said, I think changing Atlantis to be Polynesian could work, but I think it is a shame to change it just to be diverse. There are other ways to increase diversity, and I think the myths of Atlantis and the Amazons having a common point before diverging opens up some really interesting and cool possibilities for story telling.

Even if it does work, I think it's a shame we won't see the story from the comics. I'm not against different takes on characters or changing things up, but just once close adaptions of characters and their more famous stories would be nice to have.

I won't be arguing this any more, as I've made my point and explained my reasoning enough at this point. People disagree and that's fine. I will just wait for the movie and hope that whatever they are doing works. I really don't have faith in Wan after Furious 7, but Saw was OK and Insidious was pretty great. Maybe fast car action movies are not his forte and he will do great in this genre. Here's hoping.

#75 Posted by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

Who?

#76 Edited by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: On a purely geographical basis the Trojans, Amazon's and Atlantians were not Greek. Modern archeology places Troy in modern Turkey and the Amazons come from somewhere similar in Asia Minor. In other words the two side of that conflict are on two different continents. Like I said in my previous post, Plato's tale implies that Atlantis is (relatively) pretty far away from the Greek isles, all the way across the Mediterrian in fact. Just because they may have shared a common pantheon, doesn't make them Greek. The Chinese practice Buddhism, that doesn't make them Indian.

And I know that trying to define Greek is slightly difficult because for many centuries they were a collection of separate states. However, you can get a rough estimate based on geography (the area of modern Greece) and the fact that those Greek states have a history of uniting to fight a common enemy. So it is very much a proper arguement to claim that Sparta, which joined the rest of the Greeks to fight Troy and Persia, is a Greek city and Troy, which was an enemy of the Achaeans and geographically separate from the Greek Isles is not a Greek city.

#78 Edited by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: On a purely geographical basis, you're right, the Trojans and Amazons were not Greek. In the comics, the Amazons are undeniably Greek. And yes, Troy is in modern Turkey but again, culturally it would be considered far more Greek than Turkish or middle eastern. Why the hell are we even discussing this? It has absolutely nothing to do with the point I made.

I didn't say that just because they share a common pantheon that it makes them Greek, but generally a common pantheon is common to civilizations. You're example of Indians and Buddhism is a false analogy, and I have no idea why you brought it up. What exactly is the point you are trying to make? The Chinese have Buddhism because it spread from India, just like Christianity spread from Europe. That is a pretty different situation from people with a shared culture and geography having the same religion due to it developing naturally in all these places in close proximity to each other. You seem to have completely missed the point I made regarding Sparta.

Atlantis is Greek in the comics. Themyscyra is Greek in the comics. This is undeniable. Atlantis was likely meant to be Greek because when you look at the point of the tale, illustration Plato's ideas and concepts about societies. It makes sense and doesn't require detailed specious reasoning to justify the explanation. As I've said it would be an upward battle to show otherwise. If you can show anything other than your own speculation to support that, I would be interested.

I'm really not interested in arguing archaeology with you. The point I made was that it doesn't make sense for Atlantis to be a Polynesian civilization. It certainly doesn't make sense if you base it on the comics, and it makes far less sense if you base it on real world history. Even if I accept your point that Atlantis was meant to be far from modern Greece (which is actually a huge point of contention in academia, and I see your attempt to assert anything regarding that as a fact as disingenuous) it wouldn't have been as far as ANYWHERE the Polynesian people spread to. Aside from there level of development at that time not being up to the point where they could have cities like that, the ancient Greeks were not aware of them, and so definitely, absolutely, would not have based the tale of Atlantis on them or intended the location of Atlantis to be in their proximity.

Do you not understand why your entire line of reasoning here is ridiculous?

Final point: Atlantis was undeniably intended to be closer to Greece, and you know, IN THE ATLANTIC. I don't think you can make any argument to defend Atlantis being in the PACIFIC, but if you can, and you can internally rationalize it, well, you can do a better job of lying to yourself and suspending disbelief than I can.

Anyway man, I'm well and truly done with this debate since it's deviated so much.

Hopefully the film will be amazing, whatever direction they go with. That's all.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#79 Posted by The Impersonator (8473 posts) - - Show Bio

I Want to see Wan's movies.

#80 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: So you make a reply saying you won't continue this discussion, deleted it, read up on wikipedia, the came back and made a reply anyway. I salute your dedication.

Okay so, I made the China and Buddhism conparison because you made the religious connection first, without mention of cultural connection other than the vague idea of Greek-ness. According to Plato, Atlantis existed long before his time, several centuries in fact. If you can provide me with passages where Plato describes Atlantis as culturally similar to his contemporary Greece, I would be satisfied. And for the record, the Atlantic Ocean and Greece and really far away from each other, you know the entire bredth of Western Europe.

The mythical Amazons most certainly are not Greek, like at all. In ancient pots, they are shown to be dressed closer to Persians than Greeks. Modern Archeology suspects that they hailed from as far as Ukraine. I would be interested in a fictious interpretation of the Amazons that portray them as non-Greek. Sure, in the comics, the Amazons are Greek, but that is something that has always bothered me because it is flat out wrong.

As far as I've seen in the modern interpretation of Aquaman, Atlantis isn't Greek in religion or culture. I don't know about pre new 52, but in the current continuity, there is no reference to Greece or Greek culture.

And As I stated in my previous post, Atlantis doesn't need to be in the Pacific for Arthur to be Polynesian. Atlantis is supposed to be extremely technologically advanced. Is it so hard to believe that they travel to the Pacific islands from where ever the hell Atlantis is? Arthur's father could Polynesian and his mother met him when she was far from home. Does that sound so far fetched?

#81 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: You sir are a master troll, or at least you seem to be. Kudos.

I made a reply saying you were factually incorrect on several accounts, which you were (and still are in your most recent post) and that I wouldn't be responding. I thought your post merited a proper reply, so I deleted it until I could post a proper reply. I didn't read up on Wikipedia as you seem to have done. I swear, you're just paraphrasing stuff from the wiki in your replies. Like so many posters in forums these days, you seem intent on 'winning' as opposed to discussing. I have a degree in Ancient History, and while I focused on ancient Egypt while studying, I have enough of a level of familiarity with Ancient Greece as well to speak with some authority on the matter. I'm not saying that to try and claim I am right, I am only saying that to refute the claim that I am quickly reading Wikipedia before replying.

Atlantis and Aquaman definitely have a connection to ancient Greece in the New52. Maybe you should read more of the comics before arguing so thoroughly and misguidedly on the subject.

Anyway. As I said, I'm not debating the matter further. I think your being absolutely ridiculous, and your arguments would not be taken seriously by anyone knowledgeable on the subject. I'm not sure why you are arguing when you've already said you are not familiar with the character, but I suppose I goes back to my accusation of your being a troll. The numerous fallacious arguments, shifting of the goalposts and stawman arguments are evidence of that.

Enjoy the movie. I'm truly done with you.

#82 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: Okay dude. Sure.

You specifically said in your reply "Anyone (yourself included) is free to go and read Wikipedia to get the correct facts." Which implies that you did all you reseach on wiki. And i totally believe some random person on the internet has a degree in something as rare as Ancient Studies. Do you also have a bridge to sell me?

So yeah, go on with your condescending self. Don't make any attempt to refute what I posted. Don't try to see my speculation on the story. Just accept me as a troll.

P.S. maybe I am a troll because I'm getting the last word ;)

#83 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: Oh, I forgot to say that Atlantis can't be Greece because Greece is a Mediterranean state, but Atlantis is supposed to be a super-continent out in the Atlantic...hence why it's called Atlantis.

#84 Edited by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591: You really need to check your comprehension skills. But then so does rdclip.

@rdclip: I already refuted most of your nonsense. You're a troll because you took my arguments deliberately out of context and misappropriated them. That's what trolls do, with their childish need to try and win or just bait people. That behaviour is especially apparant in your last reply. It's a shame.

#85 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: I though you were done here. I guess proving how better you are than everyone else overrides anything you already said twice. See you next reply.

#86 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: I said I was done debating with you, doesn't mean I can't post. See, more deliberate strawman arguments.

Unlike you my juvenile friend, I don't care about trying to prove I'm better, I don't care about winning. The point of a discussion for me is to gain more insight, learn if I'm wrong etc. Both people have to have that same goal, and you clearly want to prove you're the most knowledgeable (despite paraphrasing Wikipedia) and win.

Your behaviour to date certainly seems like you need to win, rather than have any interest in a proper debate. As I said, that's a shame.

If you are not a troll, why were you continually misappropriating and misinterpreting my arguments?

#87 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: Oh Hi how you doing? It's been so long. I missed you and your holier-than-thou self. I guess no one else had the right to say anything that even hints at disputing your all-knowing self, professor. I admit I am a sarcastic jerk, but at least I don't act like I'm better than everyone else. So you go ahead and keep on jabbering on, I'll be right here to respond.

P.S. I feel sorry for everyone else that had to read this stupid arguement. But, I don't put up with people looking down on me or anyone else with condescention and fake credentials.

#88 Edited by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: Everything you say only further cements your status as a troll. I was not condescending at all, not once. Also, no fake credentials. I don't think I know more than everyone else, but I know enough to hold a conversation without running to wikipedia and quickly paraphrasing it to desperately try and prove that I have some knowledge on the subject.

You're utterly pathetic. I wasn't looking down on you till it became apparent how hard and how desperately you were/are trolling. Hopefully everyone will rightfully look down on you.

It would be one thing if you had engaged in a debate and pointed out flaws in my facts or reasoning, but that isn't what you did. You deliberately and repeatedly misrepresented my points to try and show how much better you are. Lol.

Keep going kiddo, it's only amusing at this point.

#89 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: Trololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol. I like the cut of your jib, sir. You make a comment telling people to read up on wiki, delete it, then accuse me of read wiki. Then you look down on people and then play the victim card. Not to mention making unproven claims about your supposed credentials.

You have a fine future in politics.

#90 Edited by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: The post I deleted I replaced with a more comprehensive post, that's all. You probably still have an email containing the contents of my deleted post, so feel free to post it to show how empty your claims are. I've still said people should go and read the wiki to see through your nonsense, and that hasn't changed. See, more deliberate straw-man arguments. The behaviour of a pathetic troll, and nothing more. And you wonder why people look down on you?

You're a liar. Through and through.

Oh, and I'm happy to provide proof of my degree, but what would that change? Will you then apologize? Will I suddenly be correct just because I have a degree? The fact that you focus on that instead of my arguments is also classic troll behaviour.

Again, you're utterly pathetic. Scum of the internet. Anyway kiddo. I'm going to be the bigger man here and walk away. You can have the last word and take that as your victory, as trolls tend to do.

#91 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

@muyjingo: Yep I am just a big liar. I am such a big liar, all my pants have been reduced to a pile of ashes.

#92 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: So what does that screenshot actually prove? As I said, I replaced my post with a more comprehensive post pointing out exactly why you were factually incorrect, and I still encouraged people to read the wiki to verify what I was saying. It shows that I was correct, and that you were misrepresenting the situation. Thanks, kiddo :)

As per my previous post, you are utterly pathetic. You rely on strawman arguments, deliberately misinterpreting and misrepresenting things because you are unable to actually make a cogent argument and participate in an adult debate.

Anyway. Enjoy yourself. I won't be biting again.

#93 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: Bye. I hope thing go well for you being the smartest man in the world as you are.

Well I hope we all learned an important lesson here. Don't try to argue with that guy or else he will treat you like garbage and make a bunch of false claims while pretending to be an authority on the subject.

#94 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone can follow the argument above and it is clear who consistently distorted facts, lied and made false claims. Kids these days :)

#95 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio
#96 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when was Arthur Greek? I want proof of that.

#97 Posted by MadFacedKid (6596 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman's not Greek he's also not Hawaiian. Western European or Eastern North American would be likely.

Hoping Atlantis is kept in the Atlantic, and maybe Arthur's mothers side of the family were travelers from the Pacific.

#98 Edited by myerlanski (2487 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: "He should just start selling chicken fried rice, his movies are awful.....wait a second for aquaman? And the DCCC? Wow he's a perfect fit mediocre director for a mediocre character for a second rate company"...

For the most part...i have always admired your debating style and even can respect your opinion about DC and Aquaman being a second rate company(obviously I don't agree with..you know, avatar and all lol)...but the chinese line is a slight harsh and the McDonald's and KFC line doesn't help either...moving on though its been a month n some change...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.