Geoff Johns or Jeff Parker

#1 Edited by TechXRenAgadeX (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure this has been passed around this board like crazy ( a few months ago at least) but i just took the past couple days to read the new 52 Aquamans that my friend lent me. I Loved It! although the Throne of Atlantis Arc was still good my friend had forgotten to give me the Justice League Comics that tie in so i missed some things. Besides that the series was amazing....right up until i got to #26 now this is just my personal opinion but i did not like Jeff Parkers writing style AT ALL it was really hard to get through the last 4 issues. Not that the story was bad far from it it was actually pretty interesting but i felt his writing style just kinda made Aquaman seem like a joke again it seems too cheesy, or something i cant put my finger on it...what does anyone else think? Do you like his style of writing? Do you with Johns came back? What do you think Jeff Parker does well compared to Geoff Johns. Give me your opinions im open to hear them.

#2 Posted by myerlanski (2487 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Johns run so far but I'm warming up a bit to Parker.....

#3 Posted by TechXRenAgadeX (30 posts) - - Show Bio

why? just curious about your opinion?

#4 Posted by myerlanski (2487 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, for the reasons you specified about how Johns had Aquaman feeling like a complete beast but Parker seems to be letting off the gas a little. I feel that Aquamans image is already been hindered, they need to stamp the issue of how beast he is. I would like for them to increase his TP and show us what the Trident is all about.

#5 Edited by TechXRenAgadeX (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@myerlanski: I felt like Johns left Aquaman feeling more vulnerable which i thought was a good idea. Aquaman seems like such an insecure character throughout Johns run and then Parker kinda flipped the script on that. I guess I'm just not used to it yet. Aquaman felt more human with him battling his demons in the subtext on almost every Johns issue. It seems like its disappeard with Parker. I just felt Johns gave Aquaman a depth that you could see that gave a story more than one dimension that I don't see anymore with Parker. I like the stuff he did with Hercules though hopefully he can turn that into something to show off the Trident maybe like a Land God vs Sea God kinda thing.

#7 Posted by myerlanski (2487 posts) - - Show Bio

@techxrenagadex: Excellent points and an extremely well critique of the versatility of the characters dynamic and depth. I totally agree. I guess my want to see Aquaman finally get the respect he deserves, I have kind of overlooked what makes a character truly engaging and how the writer brings you closer to that.

Its comicvine man those battle threads can get the best of anyone lol....I still want better feats though...

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#8 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

Its too early to compare them, Johns wrote for over 2 years in the New 52 (more if you want to include him writing him all the way back in Blackest Night and Brightest Day)

Parker by comparison only has 5 issues.

Do I think its as good so far? Not really. Johns did a wonderful job reinventing Aquaman - specifically by world building. Much like he did with GL (to a less extent) the mythos and world he set up is really awesome. And I'm pretty excited for Rise of the Seven Seas whenever that comes.

Parker by contrast hasn't done much, but as said...its only 5 issues. Its different sure, definitely more light heated and less serious, the whole overall story is not yet in place though. But he did have that excellent character development issue with Arthur going to high school. And I'm pretty pumped for the Arthur/Diana team up annual.

Only complaint is Pelletier splitting duties so much lol.

#9 Posted by myerlanski (2487 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like Jim Lee to get some runs on the artwork....I love his work.

#10 Edited by TechXRenAgadeX (30 posts) - - Show Bio
....I still want better feats though...

dont we all my friend :)

#11 Edited by TechXRenAgadeX (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: thats true...but i feel like Parker didn't really build on what Johns left. I feel like when another writer comes into the fold he should build on top of what is already been written and go deeper and give it their own personal flair just my opinion however. The high school thing was...interesting...but i dont know something felt off maybe it was forced i dont know it just wasn't exciting for me excellent idea but the execution felt lackluster. Johns definetly made me a fan of aquaman and dont get wrong im rooting for Parker to do well just something felt off the momment i started reading 26 and i didnt like it

#12 Posted by Aquaneto (168 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Geoff Johns run is the best thing that has ever happend to Aquaman alongside the Peter David run.

#13 Posted by SupBatz (2186 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns by far. He had me hooked by the end of his first Aquaman issue.

I've really tried to like Parker's run, but it hasn't appealed to me at all. Dropping after this month, sadly.

Hopefully Rise of the Seven Seas will come soon and satisfy my Aquaman fix.

#14 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, comic fans drop things quick if they don't appeal after a certain amount of time. I'm sticking with Aquaman as long as he keeps rolling.

Parker is limited to what he can do because of the Rise of the Seven Seas event. So it isn't really his fault he can't do anything huge right now.

#15 Posted by Aquaneto (168 posts) - - Show Bio

I still love the Aquaman title that reunion issue was hilarious !

#16 Posted by Westbound (105 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Parker's run so far! Big fan of how much Aquaman is actually underwater.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#17 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

Parker's run has really hit his stride lately. I don't know if its better or worse, but its damn good.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
#18 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both to be honest, but I think that Geoff John's run was a little more consistent than Jeff Parker's but either way, it's great the fans of Aquaman that even with GJ gone, the book is still quality.

#19 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns all day

#20 Edited by seastone98 (4668 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly Jeff parker had my favorite run on aquaman in the new52 even now in rebirth i still prefer it over dan abnett's run (even tho i like abnett)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.