Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4626 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Geoff Johns is leaving Aquaman

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Not sure how recent this news is but I just saw it pop up. Geoff Johns is taking his leave from Aquaman in addition to answering a lot of questions with IGN's Joey Esposito. When asked what forced him to make his decision he answered:

Aquaman is one of the greatest characters at DC Comics and one of my favorites. Ultimately, there are some reveals coming up in the “Death of a King” arc through issue #25 that sets the stage for his world and some of those threats are going to carry over to Justice League in a pretty big story next year. But between making Forever Evil and Justice League the best they can be and Gary [Frank] and I doing Batman: Earth One, issue #25 felt like the right time to bid farewell to him for now.

In addition to some other questions, he went to answer what he has in store next:

Yeah, there’s some other stuff brewing but the only thing I’m focused on right now is Justice League and Forever Evil. Right now, it’s 100% villains, 100% of the time. People who love Black Manta, he’s a main character in Forever Evil and there are a lot of plans for him in that. There are plans for Ocean Master. There are plans for lots of characters in Justice League as well, and I’ll still be working with Aquaman and Mera in the months ahead.

What do you guys think of Johns leaving?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/geoff-johns-leaving-aquaman

d_bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

saw this on ign was waiting for someone to post on here. its a bummer Johns is leaving but it was inevitable hopefully they find a talented writer to further the awesomeness that is Aquaman.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By comicfan11

It's Jeff Parker, so all things considered he is a great replacement.

Overall Johns can realistically go down as the greatest Aquaman writer ever starting with Blackest Night. At least he gets my vote.

Apart from that

1) Aquaman is in great hands with Parker.

2) He will have his second leading arc in JL, something like a sequel to Throne of Atlantis, and Johns said he will take center stage in the team. So Johns will still play a major role in Aquaman.

3) Parker tweeted "In short the upcoming stories are about HIM KICKING ALL GRADES OF AQUATIC ASS", which is how every new writer should be.

4) Also big plans for Orm and Manta.

5) Big ramifications in Aquaman 25 which will expand the Aquaman universe.

6) Johns makes it clear that he hopes to return to an Aquaman title in the future.

Overall I'm sad that Johns is leaving but the Aquaman universe seems to be in the right direction and getting bigger and more important with a new good writer.

PS: 7) Sea King will be back in Justice League Dark!

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By comicfan11

@justthatkid: The solicits for Justice League Dark

"A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! The Crime Syndicate’s Sea King, last seen at the end of “Trinity War,” has cheated death and plagues the JL Dark team!"

No Caption Provided

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Samimista

Aw man. Really enjoyed Johns run. Looking forward to reading Parker's run though.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Just hope Parker continues the theme. I've wait a long time for Aquaman to finally be the badass he is. I hope it lasts =)

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SupBatz

Dang. Batwoman and Aquaman have been my joint-favorite series in the New 52. But I hope that I'll love the new writer just as much.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By PeppeyHare

Very sad to see that Johns is leaving the book. If anyone had to replace him I'm glad it's Parker

@comicfan11: Shazam ongoing seems more likely

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: Seems like a good guess.

I'm also very glad with the choice of Parker.

hausmanjm92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not familiar with Jeff Parker's work. Can anyone give me a quick overview??

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By ViperKing

Geoff Johns was an incredible writer for Aquaman and will dearly be missed. Aquaman has become one of my favorite character due to his superb writing and I will miss him in this series. Anyways, I hope his replacement can live up to the high expectations set for him. Also, I'm quite happy due to the fact that Sea King is not dead, after all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Just hope Parker continues the theme. I've wait a long time for Aquaman to finally be the badass he is. I hope it lasts =)

Morrison did it first.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And just like that...I have lost all reason to read DC until Morrison finally comes out with Wonder Woman.

In all seriousness though, I am a little disappointed, because I was hoping Johns would bring Arthur to a higher level of popularity by expanding his world (ala Green Lantern). And while Johns did do that to an extent with Throne of Atlantis, I'm still a little sad he couldn't stay longer. But I guess his new position has bigger responsibilities compared to his SCW days. Oh well.

Here's to hoping this Jeff Parker fellow lives up to expectations.

@fallschirmjager said:

Morrison did it first.

TRUF.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: *Sniff* you just made me a really sad panda now :( along with Manapaul and Buccellato leaving Flash my pillow shall be covered in tears tonight.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I saw this. So bummed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: I can only speak for Parker's Agents of Atlas work but it was excellent.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: I can only speak for Parker's Agents of Atlas work but it was excellent.

You know, now that I think about it....I read X-Men: First Class by him, which was really enjoyable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: almost forgot, his Red Hulk was good too.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By comicfan11

@blackwind: I've read Agents of Atlas from him and it was great.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Damn it man, I was hoping he would expand Aquaman's universe like he did with Green Lantern. I hope a good writer can take over.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@deranged_midget: *Sniff* you just made me a really sad panda now :( along with Manapaul and Buccellato leaving Flash my pillow shall be covered in tears tonight.

I know right... Two of my favourite New 52 books :(

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

I know right... Two of my favourite New 52 books :(

Yeah even if I don't read them monthly i've been getting all the trades and loving them this is really disappointing if they announce Azzarello is leaving Wonder Woman I don't think I'll be able to handle the feels anymore

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

AT LEAST, Pelletier is still on it!! X( ..... but i wouldn't worry. Aquaman's still in Justice league, and Geoff Johns is still in control of that. So i'm sure that some way, Johns will have plenty of indirect influence and input in Parker's run. Plus, i'm sure Johns has planned things out already for Aquaman in the LONG RUN, and he's just handing over his package (hehe) to Parker. GOOD HANDS I SAY!

edit: P.S. How the Hell is Lobdell still writing Superman? i have nothing against him, but judging by the internet sayers, it seems like a majority dislike his writing? =/

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@veshark said:

And just like that...I have lost all reason to read DC until Morrison finally comes out with Wonder Woman.

In all seriousness though, I am a little disappointed, because I was hoping Johns would bring Arthur to a higher level of popularity by expanding his world (ala Green Lantern). And while Johns did do that to an extent with Throne of Atlantis, I'm still a little sad he couldn't stay longer. But I guess his new position has bigger responsibilities compared to his SCW days. Oh well.

My thoughts exactly.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By sinestro_GL
    No Caption Provided

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Johns' Aquaman was great but I believe in Jeff Parker.I think Parker is a good replacement and we may see stories equally great as Johns' stories.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡!!

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Raw_Material

He's telling lies.

Paragon_Sean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why am I just now finding out about this!?! I know that I'm not entitled to anything, but I feel almost betrayed. I love Johns' Aquaman... Anyway, I really hope that Parker can keep the same level of quality.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Parker's Thunderbolts was one of the best team books in years. This guy is gonna work wonders with Aquaman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.