Do you think they'll drop Poseidon's Trident on issue 49?

#1 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman issue 49 cover reveals they'll reverting Diana's costume back. Issue 49 for Aquaman reveals the same. Do you think they'll drop Poseidon's Trident on issue 49?

No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

With any luck he'll be keeping the trident safely locked away in Atlantis for future needs by my assumption would be taking the cover at face value and seeing the change away from Poseidon's trident.

#3 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his power set now.. it will be a shame if they quickly reverted Arthur's power back. I just hope Poseidon's Trident will stay for good.

#4 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

Its more then likely that was Bunn's plan as well to not make it lasting considering it was called borrowed power, but if it stays Id be happy. Could make a good Poseidon vs Aquaman storyline.

#5 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

Its more then likely that was Bunn's plan as well to not make it lasting considering it was called borrowed power, but if it stays Id be happy. Could make a good Poseidon vs Aquaman storyline.

He did say he claimed ancient power a couple of times as opposed to borrowed. Likely he's losing it but we'll see.

#6 Edited by MadFacedKid (6596 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: @vinomonster: it's not confirmation but Booth the next artist draws Aquaman and Mera with Aquaman holding the new trident dig his Mera's design.

No Caption Provided

Who knows though Rise of the Seven Seasons could give the old Trident some mystical projectile type power.

#7 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: Where did you get that it looks awesome.. They reimagining the characters again?

#8 Posted by MadFacedKid (6596 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: Brett Booth's twitter.

Like I said though it's not confirmation this could just be art played around with.

#9 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind if he did. Honestly I don't want any reminders of this run.

#10 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: The feats in this run is pretty much impressive.. thats why I want the power set to stay :)

#11 Posted by derekvang (1519 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid said:

@ashrym: @vinomonster: it's not confirmation but Booth the next artist draws Aquaman and Mera with Aquaman holding the new trident dig his Mera's design.

No Caption Provided

Who knows though Rise of the Seven Seasons could give the old Trident some mystical projectile type power.

That art looks sexy :) Love his illustrations!

#12 Edited by MadFacedKid (6596 posts) - - Show Bio

@derekvang: The designs are what gets me loving his design for Mera and as classic as The 5 prong Trident has felt Post-Flashpoint I prefer the 3 tips.

I do wish he didn't draw Arthur as thin as Barry though and the face so similar.

The build on 49 on the top of the page looks pretty ideal.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#13 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15873 posts) - - Show Bio

His new design is light years better, I hope he sticks to it.

#14 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

They're not droping Poseidon's Trident based on Aquaman #50 cover :) Im so happy for our King

No Caption Provided

#15 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman 47 takes place before Batman 40 in the timeline so that's good to know. It also explains why Hal Jordon has the ring instead of the glove that way. Something I noticed was Aquaman seemed to be using ice powers by using his hand instead of his trident in that issue. That gets back to the possibility the trident isn't necessary for all of his abilities anyway.

No Caption Provided

I was surprised to see the shot go through him but it was interesting in that a shot through him didn't seem to do an actual damage beyond pain and quickly being gone.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
#16 Posted by HandOfPrometheus (881 posts) - - Show Bio

He should just use both making him more badass, a dagger that turns to a trident and his regular trident.

#17 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:

Aquaman 47 takes place before Batman 40 in the timeline so that's good to know. It also explains why Hal Jordon has the ring instead of the glove that way. Something I noticed was Aquaman seemed to be using ice powers by using his hand instead of his trident in that issue. That gets back to the possibility the trident isn't necessary for all of his abilities anyway.

No Caption Provided

I was surprised to see the shot go through him but it was interesting in that a shot through him didn't seem to do an actual damage beyond pain and quickly being gone.

I noticed the ice thing to it was pretty cool I'm wondering if he's channeling the trident or channeling his body through the trident. Meaning the blessing could be power given to his body rather then just the ability to use the Trident. I'd like to see him be the only one to weild it like Pre-Flashpoint where it would corrupt others who touched it.

To be fair Atlantean weaponry has shown to be able to pack a punch. I'm hoping we could get more in depth with Atlantis and technology it's suppose to be the most advanced civilization on the planet it would be cool to see why. I'm wanting Tula to also primarily rely on her fighting skills and Atlantean weaponry it would be a cool way to branch her.

No Caption Provided
#18 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

He should just use both making him more badass, a dagger that turns to a trident and his regular trident.

That would be honestly cool, I didn't think of that the way the trident can be minimized is a great way to carry around both weapons. Personally I wanted to see Mera get the old Trident but I could be down with Arthur wielding both it sounds awesome.

#19 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: The reason was because I was thinking of the shots he completely ignored earlier in the arc. The weapons show they can hurt Wonder Woman, MMH, and drop Hawkman but they didn't do anything to Arthur a couple of times. Maybe they just had bigger guns this time after previous failures. I would have expected maybe pain instead of going right through him and then ignoring the fact he'd been clean through.

#20 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: I don't know regardless I like the showing for Atlantean tech.

#21 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: I don't know regardless I like the showing for Atlantean tech.

Atlantis has phenomenal tech in the weapons and flight speeds. It's kind of odd considering they haven't actually had anyone to fight for so long and were staying in the ocean. That likely represents how quickly they adapted technology to their war plans. I know they are beyond fossil fuels, and solar energy isn't likely at depths so it's interesting wondering what their power source is. The weapons were also stated as organic technology, which is why Firestorm cannot alter them.

#22 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: It's probably likely that they use water? But then again in Pre-Flashpoint Aquaman had Atlantean vehicles that could go sky born and into space. I'm also curious to what powers their weaponry which is shown to be laser like and how jobs are assigned in Atlantis or brought about. I remember in Vol 5 Aquaman was having problems with people not going to work be cause of The LandLubbers but I want to see what jobs there are in Atlantis.

Thanks for reminding me about the organic technology completely slipped my mind. Maybe they use sealife like plants or animals for there weaponry, would be weird but resourcefull I guess.

#23 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: It's like they've solved cold fusion using organic chemistry. It's very odd.

#24 Edited by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman 50 looks like it's continuing the old outfit and trident too. The synopsis doesn't appear to a flashback for issue 49 so it still looks likely the trident is getting put away. Given that Wonder Woman just changed back to her old costume too, Bruce Wayne is going to be putting the cowl back on (permanently is in question but still...), and there is a plan to help Superman with his depowered issues that's been started and under development (without details but still...) it does look like Aquaman is probably going back to his previous self.

#25 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like the current look if it was drawn by Ivan Reis.. but if Arthur went back to the old design, i just wished they'll alter it to have a DCEU feels to it.

#26 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: is the new costume mimics Garth's? The new costume looks tempest-ish.

#28 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster said:

@ecstaticgrace: is the new costume mimics Garth's? The new costume looks tempest-ish.

It's actually suppose to be a throwback to Cardy's Sea Camo Suit Aquaman ironically that's what the Tempest suit was based on as well originally.

No Caption Provided

That rock seems to be iconic with Booth and Aqua characters by the way

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

:P

It's also not really new given that it appeared in Aqua history and I dont think Aquaman's being put into it as a new costume, atleast I hope not.

#29 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster said:

It's also not really new given that it appeared in Aqua history and I dont think Aquaman's being put into it as a new costume, atleast I hope not.

This is definitely not Arthur.. this is Garth..

If its a throwback I just want to see a different color scheme. Gold and Green is still the ideal colors.

#30 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: The bottom image was in response to saying Booth loves using a rock at sea image I'm aware it's Garth. The top original one I posted is Arthur and the suit is suppose to be the sea camo.

Yeah for most suits id prefer to see Gold and Green on Arthur.

#31 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer gold and green to sea camo, definitely, but I also liked the design in the Exile arc that's just finishing up. The black top warlord style seems good, but maybe with a less prominent belt that sometimes appears.

#32 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

They dropped it... But I guess he'll get a new gift from Poseidon. Pity because the trident is so much powerful.. Hopefully Dan will make Arthur more powerful in his run.

#33 Edited by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

They dropped it... But I guess he'll get a new gift from Poseidon. Pity because the trident is so much powerful.. Hopefully Dan will make Arthur more powerful in his run.

He's only showing the Atlantis royal trident on the next cover. The two covers after that look like he's keeping the orange outfit but he's back to a 3 tined trident again, so Wonder Woman's comment looks promising.

#34 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: I'm looking forward to that.. The current issue shows a lot of feats for Arthur.

#35 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: I don't know if you're following JLA (which is still hard to figure out where or if it fits into the continuity), but the Greek gods left in fear of a coming threat (much like they did in JL for Darkseid War) so Wonder Woman and Aquaman went through her armory (that used to be long to Ares and she inherited as god of war) to snag some weapons of the gods. She assumed they all belonged to her as the only remaining god and gave Poseidon's trident to Aquaman. She took a ton of weapons for herself.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It looks a lot like she promoted him. I'm looking forward to seeing what feats he shows there too.

#36 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: Yeah read it earlier, I thought it was cool.. But the series isnt canon right? But I wouldnt be mad if they use that.

#37 Edited by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:
@vinomonster said:

He's only showing the Atlantis royal trident on the next cover. The two covers after that look like he's keeping the orange outfit but he's back to a 3 tined trident again, so Wonder Woman's comment looks promising.

I'm all for a return to the normal costume and if he gets a new Trident (after what happened at the end of issue 48) with some powers it would be neat. But everything should be in agreement with the upcoming Rise of the Seven Seas. I feel if Johns wants Aquaman to have some more extra powers in the Trident, he will not make it have that many powers. Maybe water / ice control and the water teleportation.

I like that he had levitation, and lightning and blasts, but maybe that was to far removed from the concept of Aquaman (IMO).

But even if he returns to the original Trident, I'm still fine. It's powerful enough as it is and shows Aquaman's fighting skill better since it doesn't have the luxury of exotic ranged attacks or shields and stuff (though it can deflect magic and blasts).

@vinomonster: JLA is canon, but we don't know exactly when it happened. It's similar to the older JLA Classified series. Like an anthology of JL adventures.

#38 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: The trident looks different from the one Bunn's gave Arthur it might function a bit different as well this is against a guy who has the power of billions so I'm hoping Hitch shows some awesome stuff with it. Not to mention the Olympus buff WW has is awesome this is probably all just for the Rao arc though. Hitch said he want to do a arc focusing on each of the 7 so I can't wait for the Aquaman arc if it happens down the road cause I love the way Hitch writes Arthur

#39 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:
@vinomonster said:

I'm all for a return to the normal costume and if he gets a new Trident (after what happened at the end of issue 48) with some powers it would be neat. But everything should be in agreement with the upcoming Rise of the Seven Seas. I feel if Johns wants Aquaman to have some more extra powers in the Trident, he will not make it have that many powers. Maybe water / ice control and the water teleportation.

I like that he had levitation, and lightning and blasts, but maybe that was to far removed from the concept of Aquaman (IMO).

But even if he returns to the original Trident, I'm still fine. It's powerful enough as it is and shows Aquaman's fighting skill better since it doesn't have the luxury of exotic ranged attacks or shields and stuff (though it can deflect magic and blasts).

@vinomonster: JLA is canon, but we don't know exactly when it happened. It's similar to the older JLA Classified series. Like an anthology of JL adventures.

I think the trident was great I just didn't like the Warlord take on Arthur as much but it was an interesting concept, I feel like if Bunn's does something Aqua related in the future they should get him to write a Ocean Master book.

As far as the trident I think it made Aquaman match up to how he's portrayed in media we see his trident do crazy stuff in the cartoons, movies, and games it's just the book where's it's not really showcased I'd rather his standard trident get played with though.

If he gets any buffs for the longest time I wanted his telepathic powers to return to Silver Age/PC/Pre-Flashpoint levels.

#40 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

JLA Trident of Poseidon definitely looks different. Normally, I would say this arc takes place in the past, but she's already god of war in it. JLA obviously takes place in the same continuity as the individual titles because that series was used to prelude MMH's own title, which subsequently included Aquaman in his warlord outfit.

I would point out that the trident is a metamorphic weapon anyway. It looks like a spear in this image.

No Caption Provided

I think I've seen it as a trident, sword, dagger, and now spear shaped so far. I'm surprised it doesn't also turn into a shield if he wants one. Either that or the artist had a "moment" but we know it morphs, and a spear is a logical transition point between sword and trident.

@comicfan11 Poseidon's blessings protect Arthur from magic according to the latest issue, and we saw him use the trident to blast the magic away when 3 sorcerers attacked him.

What I would not mind seeing is Arthur to have awakened latent power that he can focus through the Atlantean trident to replicate some of the abilities we have seen. Replicating Atlan's weather and ice powers, and amplifying his telepathic powers as an example. I liked the powers he had from Poseidon but I can see the point in those overshadowing his other abilities during the Exile arc. Too much/many powers and then the get ignored for plot anyway.

#41 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:

JLA Trident of Poseidon definitely looks different. Normally, I would say this arc takes place in the past, but she's already god of war in it. JLA obviously takes place in the same continuity as the individual titles because that series was used to prelude MMH's own title, which subsequently included Aquaman in his warlord outfit.

I would point out that the trident is a metamorphic weapon anyway. It looks like a spear in this image.

No Caption Provided

I think I've seen it as a trident, sword, dagger, and now spear shaped so far. I'm surprised it doesn't also turn into a shield if he wants one. Either that or the artist had a "moment" but we know it morphs, and a spear is a logical transition point between sword and trident.

@comicfan11 Poseidon's blessings protect Arthur from magic according to the latest issue, and we saw him use the trident to blast the magic away when 3 sorcerers attacked him.

What I would not mind seeing is Arthur to have awakened latent power that he can focus through the Atlantean trident to replicate some of the abilities we have seen. Replicating Atlan's weather and ice powers, and amplifying his telepathic powers as an example. I liked the powers he had from Poseidon but I can see the point in those overshadowing his other abilities during the Exile arc. Too much/many powers and then the get ignored for plot anyway.

The morphing thing is really awesome as different as this run was from previous runs in this continuity Bunn's was really creative with it.

Plot will always have characters ignore abilities for the sake of story, reason why Pre-Flashpoint Aquaman didn't tp villains whenever he had the chance or his waterbearer in general in Vol6 was ignored for the most part. I think Bunn's handled it well though we saw Aquaman utilize skill, Poseidon power and his sea life telepathy in his run. I think writers should remember abilities in their stories like so and if it becomes a hindrance have the villain be equipped with something to avoid it like Mera not being able to kill Manta because of his bioelectric seal I loved that Johns included that.

#42 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: @ashrym: Issue 52 finally answers what trident he's using ;)

Or possibly brings up more questions...

#43 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: I like the ending but it doesnt answer on what trident is he using.. did he summon lightning using the trident? The Kings Trident hasnt have that feat.. maybe he was using Neptune's Trident from JLA?

#44 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: Why would he still have that trident though? I thought JLA was suppose to be during the 5 year timeline from Origins to Graves? Given Hal is with the JL.

My theory is he retained some of the blessing and is channeling it with his original trident that got a design change.

Either that or the Poseidon Blessing Trident got a design change.

#45 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: I'm talking about Hitch's JLA ..it happened after Batman End Game, Superman Truth, Renagade Green Lantern and Exiled Aquaman.

#46 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: That's what I'm talking about as well. The Hitch JLA title is suppose to take place during the 5 year time skip is what was told when it first came out that was the excuse for having Hal on it.

#47 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Abnett just might not be aware the regular trident doesn't do that.

#48 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: It does now :P

He honestly might just be sneaking some abilities in for it. A few issues back in 50 I believe he had Aquaman using the trident to telepathically track and call Deadwater as well as figure out what compounds are in the water of this swimming pool.

Could be a fluke don't see how that gets by the editors though but will see I guess after Rebirth.

Stuff like this makes me question whether or not they'll finally answer what the original trident is capable of

https://mobile.twitter.com/AquamanShrine/status/727233742788546564/photo/1

#49 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: They kinda skipped the continuity.. but I think all answer will be on Rebirth.. I just can't wait to read it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.