Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4626 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

DC Announces New Creative Team for AQUAMAN #20

• 67 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Today IGN found out that the solicit information for AQUAMAN #20 has changed. Geoff Johns and Paul Pelletier will not be the creative team on that issue. Instead the issue will feature guest writer John Ostrander.

No Caption Provided

The issue will feature art by Manuel Garcia and Sandra Hope with the cover (above) by Paul Pelletier and Sean Parsons. The story will introduce a new member of The Others.

Does this mean Geoff Johns is ready to leave the title? Not necessarily. He did tweet the following:

No Caption Provided

AQUAMAN #20 is on sale May 22.

Source: IGN

Avatar image for theelusivenewreader
    TheElusiveNewReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Let us pray

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Good because I would have been pissed if Johns left Aquaman but stayed on shitty Justice League.

Avatar image for cincyducksfan35
    cincyducksfan35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ostrander is my favorite writer. Wish he could just write a Martian Manhunter monthly again

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

I was about to be pretty upset before I learned that it's only one issue, and before I learned that it was being written by Ostrander. They couldn't have chosen a better guest writer!

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DMC

and I thought for a second I'd have to drop my only DC book.

it's Johns or bust

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Hm me thinks DC is testing the water

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Raw_Material

I seen this tweet he posted via Twitter as well. This definitely got my head rushing for a little bit, but I'm hoping that issue #20 will turn out great not knowing what the temporary creative team is capable of. Hopefully it won't be that certain issue where it's like, "oh, there was a different writer and artist working on this issue I could tell" and instead more like, "wow, that was yet another great issue..the new team definitely filled in the shoes of Johns and Pelletier quite nicely!"

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Raw_Material

Hopefully we can see some great TP feats of Aquaman, knowing that Ostrander wrote for a Martian Manhunter title before.

Although, really anxious to see how the art of this issue turns out. I don't wanna see a Marvel looking Aquaman anytime soon!

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Nice to see a new creative team for an issue =)

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Superdork

They are just testing the waters with Ostrander. Johns will leave Aquaman to write Shazam after he finishes Trinity War. Cyborg will get the Justice League back up pages. And Johns cannot leave Justice League due to his job as Chief Creative Officer of a comic universe with no history and due to pressure from Warner Brothers.

Sorry, but it's true.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raw_Material

@cincyducksfan35 said:

Ostrander is my favorite writer. Wish he could just write a Martian Manhunter monthly again

Was he really that good of a writer when he wrote for Martian Manhunter?

@theelusivenewreader said:

Let us pray

Im with you on this one. Let's bow our heads...

@dmc said:

and I thought for a second I'd have to drop my only DC book.

it's Johns or bust

Lol. I feel ya..but I've been a Aqua fan since Peter David's run..Although, if Geoff leaves it won't feel the same.

@jonny_anonymous said:

Hm me thinks DC is testing the water

Think DC is diving into deep waters without knowing how to swim first, like wtf!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

They are just testing the waters with Ostrander. Johns will leave Aquaman to write Shazam after he finishes Trinity War. Cyborg will get the Justice League back up pages. And Johns cannot leave Justice League due to his job as Chief Creative Officer of a comic universe with no history and due to pressure from Warner Brothers.

Sorry, but it's true.

OR, and just hear me out, DC is testing the waters, in preparation for an Others ongoing, with Ostrander on writing duties. I would totally buy an Others series. I was actually just thinking about them today.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously Johns is way too busy with Trinity War, I dont mind this at all.

Jslab425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC is testing the waters, just not in the way you think!

The unplanned issue was necessary, in a recent interview with us, Pelletier admitted to struggling with DC's New 52 deadlines.

Hope everyone buys issue #20 -- you won't regret it (no coincidence that The Others: AQUAMAN Vol. 2 is also out in May)!

@AquamanShrine

the Aquaman Shrine

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

OR, and just hear me out, DC is testing the waters, in preparation for an Others ongoing, with Ostrander on writing duties. I would totally buy an Others series. I was actually just thinking about them today.

I'd much prefer the second of those options, though I find it unlikely.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

Exactly

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Right on! John Ostrander is aces!

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I agree with everyone who is saying they hope Johns stays on the title. I would like to see him on the book for a looooong time to come. I don't expect him to be on it as long as he was on Green Lantern but I can hope. I have always liked Aquaman as a character but there isn't much to read as far as quality solo stories.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By chalkshark

Honestly, I've got no real interest in the Others. I'd rather see Ostrander on Suicide Squad.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked his Martian Manhunter series, so I have high hopes for this issue

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Geoff, don't do this to me! You're leaving or have left Green Lantern, I'm still smarting over you leaving JSA, and then you SCARE US INTO THINKING YOU MIGHT LEAVE AQUAMAN!?!?!? Just don't!

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cool. Both are good writers.

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's already been mentioned that the Others would get a spinoff series. The unknown is when. This seems like a fill-in which could lead to a mini or ongoing.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright then, I don't mind this. Ostrander's solid and I want to see some more of the Others.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zeeguy91

@jameskm716 said:

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

Exactly

Its really not that unlikely. Right now, the New 52 only has 50 titles. They need another two to fill the space, so why not the Others? A well-recieved new team spinning out of a popular run from a popular writer on a newly popular character.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

@jameskm716 said:

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

Exactly

Its really not that unlikely. Right now, the New 52 only has 50 titles. They need another two to fill the space, so why not the Others? A well-recieved new team spinning out of a popular run from a popular writer on a newly popular character.

They aren't that well known and would sell as poorly as Team 7 or Stormwatch. They're W-list characters.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By elayem98

Good because I would have been pissed if Johns left Aquaman but stayed on shitty Justice League.

Right? Aquaman is fantastic under Johns, and JL is horrible under Johns. So weird..

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Reads article title*

Uhm, excuse me?

*Reads article*

Phew, that was a mini-heart attack waiting to happen!

KennyQuick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KennyQuick

I screamed when I saw the head line. But sighed with relief at the tweet.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Raw_Material

@jslab425: Nice to see you guys on Comic Vine. Love the site you guys created for Aquaman. Keep the shrine strong!

I'm probably one of the hugest Aqua fan actively using Comic Vine right now (probably) and write a lot reviews on Aquaman issues.

My question to you is; it's obvious that you folks now more in depths of Aquaman's mythology than I do and was wondering why not help build on the Aquaman wiki homepage?! I recently made CV my "home" and have been trying to touch up on Aquaman wiki page (off and on). However, due to my lack of knowledge with some content of his, I can only do so much. It would be nice to get the Aquaman page fully developed. Although, I do build on what I already have on the page and edit in the current events/major story arcs.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They aren't that well known and would sell as poorly as Team 7 or Stormwatch. They're W-list characters.

Because Pandora, Amethyst, The Green Team, Dial H, and The Movement are so A-list??? Plus, Talon was launched featuring a brand new character that hadn't appeared anywhere before. The Others are the creation of a popular writer and have been introduced in a title that's been selling gangbusters since the New 52 started.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Because Pandora, Amethyst, The Green Team, Dial H, and The Movement are so A-list??? Plus, Talon was launched featuring a brand new character that hadn't appeared anywhere before. The Others are the creation of a popular writer and have been introduced in a title that's been selling gangbusters since the New 52 started.

Those books are all headed to cancellation. An 'Others' book would last 8-10 issues tops.

NathanXplosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its one issue so I'm not gonna trip about it.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad this is only for one issue. Seeing as how Johns has been on GL since Rebirth, I was hoping he'd do something similar for Aquaman. Looking forward to more Others stuff, so this is good.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
    deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O i will be waiting for this one.

RyanAJoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslab425 said:

DC is testing the waters, just not in the way you think!

The unplanned issue was necessary, in a recent interview with us, Pelletier admitted to struggling with DC's New 52 deadlines.

Hope everyone buys issue #20 -- you won't regret it (no coincidence that The Others: AQUAMAN Vol. 2 is also out in May)!

@AquamanShrine

the Aquaman Shrine

If this means what I think it means all I have to say is WOO-HOO!!! I was totally killed when Tomasi's the Others series didn't materialize and can't imagine how cool Ostrander would be on this title with the right art team.

And shame on CV for such a misleading title grab which basically copied all content from IGN, LOL

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bladewolf

I'm just glad The Others are coming back!

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Hopefully we can see some great TP feats of Aquaman, knowing that Ostrander wrote for a Martian Manhunter title before.

Although, really anxious to see how the art of this issue turns out. I don't wanna see a Marvel looking Aquaman anytime soon!

Pretty much what this gentleman said.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh, okay. Have to take a minute to calm down. That article title had me worried.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The series has yet to let me down. Bring it on.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that the new cover? The one on the solicits is somewhat plainer and more simple, but I liked it

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

May 22. That's my birthday. You better give me a damn great present Ostrander!

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: You overestimate their popularity.

They really aren't that popular. The Others aren't that popular. They're almost entirely new characters. DC hasn't taken a chance like that since Talon, which came out of their most popular ongoing and story line.

Aquaman is popular, but carrying two Ongoings? that's HIGHLY unlikely.

Moreover, it's more likely that they wouldn't sell very well. Look at Talon, while it is fantastic, it doesn't sell that well, and that's coming off of their most popular ongoing and story arc of the New 52.

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

John Ostrander is the man! For a second I feared they were letting JT Krul destroy yet another beloved DC Character.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By DonFelipe

The Others... reminds me of LOST.

Purgatory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC Announces New Creative Team!

... it's one issue by one different writer. Then Johns comes back the next month.

Is that what happened with Batman 13?

New Creative Team for Batman 13! ~~~~ Greg took one issue off.

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

@jameskm716 said:

@zeeguy91 said:

@superdork said:

Sorry, but it's true.

Exactly

WRONG!! 1. Team 7 was written by Justin Jordon?!? Seriously, who the hell is Justin Jordon. And 2. Stormwatch was a mess from the start with their superhero team that was so "super secret and awesome" even Batman & Superman didnt know they existed. DC bought Wildstorm and now doesnt know what to do with it. John Ostrander could make a great book out of total nobodies, that's what great writers do.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JamesKM716

@rich711: WRONG!! 1. Team 7 was written by Justin Jordon?!? Seriously, who the hell is Justin Jordon. And 2. Stormwatch was a mess from the start with their superhero team that was so "super secret and awesome" even Batman & Superman didnt know they existed. DC bought Wildstorm and now doesnt know what to do with it. John Ostrander could make a great book out of total nobodies, that's what great writers do.

Justin Jordon is new indie talent. Except DC won't green light a book off of a team of nobodies that aren't super popular, or acclaimed.

Team 7 had Deathstroke headlining. Stormwatch had the Wildstrom fans on their side.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.