Current Tier of Arthur Curry with Poseidon's Trident?

#1 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you think is the current tier of Arthur while having Poseidon's Trident? During the current run I've read a huge power boost especially with Poseidon's Trident.. I wonder what tier is he now.

#2 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the next step above high tier? He seems to be on the low side of standard Thor's tier, or similar to unworthy Thor.

#3 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: I think he is now on the same tier like Diana.. Having poseidons trident makes him more powerful than ever.

#4 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: I think he is now on the same tier like Diana.. Having poseidons trident makes him more powerful than ever.

He was actually on her same tier as Diana before the upgrade, at least while she wasn't in unbound mode. That was displayed in their inconclusive combats and his other showings against Hercules, Swamp Thing, and MMH. She acknowledged it on panel, as well.

No Caption Provided

I'm not sure what Wonder Woman is showing to still be on his level, other than her speed and combat skill, but she had that before. He just demonstrated the ability to instantly end a confrontation that she did not in Aquaman 46 facing the elite atlantean agents sent after him.

#5 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: he might stand against worthy Thor with that trident imo. He has a huge power boost and every feats in the current arc is totally impressive, I'm so happy that Arthur is really getting beefed up.

#6 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

He's above unworthy thor but below worthy thor

#7 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: he might stand against worthy Thor with that trident imo. He has a huge power boost and every feats in the current arc is totally impressive, I'm so happy that Arthur is really getting beefed up.

He might, but I still think Thor's got better strength and invulnerability, and Thor can fly including through space. Arthur's space level capacities are rather non-existent in his feats even if he can theoretically hold his breath and survive the environment for some time. Given that Arthur can teleport instead he's still capable of interplanetary travel. I can see Aquaman in Thor's tier, but on the low end of it.

#8 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: He might stand a chance now unlike before.. probably they'll give him more impressive feats when Johns start his run on Kingdoms of Atlantis. I hate seeing Arthur always get left behind especially in Darkseid Wars.

#9 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:
@vinomonster said:

He was actually on her same tier as Diana before the upgrade, at least while she wasn't in unbound mode. That was displayed in their inconclusive combats and his other showings against Hercules, Swamp Thing, and MMH. She acknowledged it on panel, as well.

No Caption Provided

I'm not sure what Wonder Woman is showing to still be on his level, other than her speed and combat skill, but she had that before. He just demonstrated the ability to instantly end a confrontation that she did not in Aquaman 46 facing the elite atlantean agents sent after him.

No Caption Provided

There's also this scene in Forever Evil before the Poseidon Blessing.

To be honest though I felt in the second encounter against Atlantis elite Wonder Woman faired better then what Aquaman did.

Something I'd like touched upon by a writer would be Aquaman's speed reaction/travel/perceiving I feel like it's been hinted at but nothing to certain. I'd also like to see the training he received whether in Atlantis or in his solo travels across the world hunting Manta which the fact he has training has been hinted at as well.

#10 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:
@vinomonster said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

To be honest though I felt in the second encounter against Atlantis elite Wonder Woman faired better then what Aquaman did.

Something I'd like touched upon by a writer would be Aquaman's speed reaction/travel/perceiving I feel like it's been hinted at but nothing to certain. I'd also like to see the training he received whether in Atlantis or in his solo travels across the world hunting Manta which the fact he has training has been hinted at as well.

I noticed she seemed to be doing better in that second encounter, but he was soloing them and Garth in the first encounter in CQC. I was wondering if she's not amped up somewhere with the new outfit as well.

#11 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: The New outfit is just suppose to be a "Reflection of herself and what she represents" Aquaman's new outfit doesn't amp him it's the blessing and trident given to him. He did end the fight in this encounter so I'll give him that.

#12 Edited by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

So by strenght and feats I can say that currently Arthur is the 3rd most powerful leaguer. 1. Green Lantern 2. Wonder Woman 3. Aquaman 4. Superman 5. Flash 6. Cyborg and Batman the list exclude Shazam who I think shares the same tier as Diana.. Jordan is pretty much Beefed up with the Gauntlet (Gauntlet= 5 rings or 10 rings)

#13 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam had the strength of Hercules and Aquaman took out crazy Hercules pre Poseidon. Shazam's lighting hasn't been demonstrated as effective as Aquaman's either unless I've missed some feats. Stamina, wisdom, and courage aren't very offensive powers so speed was the only other solid combat ability Shazam had. I don't actually think he's quite in the same tier as Wonder Woman or Aquaman, largely do to skill and ability factors.

He might be better after we see more of the powers he ended up with. Compassion and boldness still aren't really an improvement over bravery and wisdom. The power of Zeus was replaced by the source manipulation of Zonuz so that might let him magic up another ping pong table but it's not clear what that entails. S'ivaa claimed to be stronger than Hercules so that might be an improvement. Lighting and Fire were his other two gifts so he replace stamina and speed with lighting and fire (lighting previous was the power of Zeus). He could be up there but his experience seems to be holding him back.

#14 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: I'm not sure about current Lantern since I need to catch up, but Flash should at least be 1 or 2.

#15 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: Havent read the current Flash arc. Well Jordan is currently using a Guantlet that is equal to 10 rings irrc thats why I considered him to be the strongest. He stomped the corps while leaving Mogo during the start of Renegade.

#16 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

To be totally honest I have found this Aquaman to be rather sloppy.

#17 Edited by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: Hal with the gauntlet is supposed to have more power, and did create an asteroid field to fight space vessels as an example of feats with it. The size and area he's generating for constructs is pretty large based on that one. The gauntlet is harder to control, however. Here are some examples of the glove.

Explanation of lack of control.

No Caption Provided

Demonstration facing multiple space vessels and constructs, including demonstrated lack of control.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

He's clearly go number of construct and size looking good in the scans in a one-sided space battle. The ships were still capable of breaking his constructs as seen in the gun fire.

#18 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: Hal said that the Gauntlet is equivalent to 12 rings in the latest issue. Arthur might be a city buster with trident.

#19 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: Hal said that the Gauntlet is equivalent to 12 rings in the latest issue. Arthur might be a city buster with trident.

He did but 12 time a nebulous amount is still a nebulous amount. The feats demonstrated show bigger and more constructs, still breakable, and lack of control. On top of that, he doesn't actually seem to be part of the JL outside of the Darkseid War that clearly predates Krona's Gauntlet. Aquaman has also stated he can destroy the world of Thule so why would we take one character's word on it but not another?

As it is, GL has control issues, WW is killing herself as the mantle of the god of war hurts her instead of helps her, Bruce Wayne is an amnesiac so Batman is a Jim Gordon in a robotic suit, Shazam is still based off the mind of Billy and doesn't really understand his abilities, and Superman is the depowered version. Most of them are holding up well despite the issues but more than half the JL is a bit of a mess right now with long term concerns. Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg seem to be the ones without those issues but even Cyborg needed a rebuild that took a cut in physical strength.

I think it likely goes Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Flash (a lot of people argue this but he consistently struggles with weaker bricks than just listed like Grodd or Girder so character, morals, and consistency are relevant over the potential that abounds; he's more like unrealized power), Cyborg, Superman, Batman with a lot of room for debate on Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam in the order as three solid physical characters.

#20 Posted by Zoch81 (422 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:
@ecstaticgrace said:
@ashrym said:
@vinomonster said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I noticed she seemed to be doing better in that second encounter, but he was soloing them and Garth in the first encounter in CQC. I was wondering if she's not amped up somewhere with the new outfit as well.

Arthur didn't fight Garth in issue 43 at best the had like tridents standoff they talked decided fight Thule monster instead so no he didn't solo Garth hell they didn't even fight the only ones Arthur fought and beat where those sea creatures came with Garth

#21 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@zoch81: I feel Garth was just trying to get a feel of the situation see what was going on, and if his king was this treacherous guy the nation was being led to believe. In the first encounter Aquaman didnt use any of his tridents abilities on them so id assume he wasn't trying to harm any of them even saying he felt bad because they were being mislead. Garth also held restraint cause he seems to have more abilities similar to his Pre-Flashpoint self if we look at Titans Hunt for indication.

@vinomonster: @ashrym: That Hal stuff looks awesome I definitely need to read the current run as soon as possible. You spoiled stuff for me though :(

#22 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@zoch81: He was fighting the group of them and it was interrupted by the war engine and it was in issue 42. It was obvious that Aquaman was holding back and trying to talk to them, and I was under the impression Garth was as well. King Shark, Scylla, and Charybdis not so much.

No Caption Provided

It was the next page we see the other two in there as well after this first rush and Garth blocking the trident when Aquaman attacked Scylla. He clearly had the upper hand and instead of trying to talk to them he could have ended it like he did here.

No Caption Provided

#23 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: Sorry about spoilers. I tried to keep it to a minimum while discussing.

#24 Posted by Zoch81 (422 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: @ecstaticgrace: Arthur and Garth didn't fight issue 43 all was two tridents clashing one another and Arthur talk some sense into Garth yeah neither showed full abilities both holding back I would like fight between them but didn't happen.

#25 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@zoch81 said:

@ashrym: @ecstaticgrace: Arthur and Garth didn't fight issue 43 all was two tridents clashing one another and Arthur talk some sense into Garth yeah neither showed full abilities both holding back I would like fight between them but didn't happen.

You'll notice that when they were crossing weapons it was for several panels. None of the other team members were continuing to fight and they all appear to have been effectively defeated or fended off at that point.

#26 Posted by Zoch81 (422 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: those where sea creatures that Arthur defeated or fended in those panels, Garth and Arthur didn't fight in any panels all that showed in panel was two tridents clashing and Arthur talking some sense into Garth Liked I said no actual fight between them.

#27 Edited by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@zoch81 said:

@ashrym: those where sea creatures that Arthur defeated or fended in those panels, Garth and Arthur didn't fight in any panels all that showed in panel was two tridents clashing and Arthur talking some sense into Garth Liked I said no actual fight between them.

Those weren't just sea creatures. Check out the spoiler image I added above. That group included King Shark, Charybdis, Scylla, and more. It's the same group in the fight with Wonder Woman plus Garth. Here's the image where Garth jumps in during the fighting.

No Caption Provided

The page following this one shows them crossing weapons at different angles while also discussing the issue for 4 more panels before the war engine appears and interrupts them so they were clearly doing something. Like is said, this is from issue 42 and not the scene where they are crossing weapons again in issue 43 over another 8 panels, showing in 3 of them. Between the two issues, they are depicted engaged in weapons for 9 panels over the course of 15 panels in 2 issues, and 2 of those panels show they had disengaged and are later re-engaged. What you are stating is they aren't doing anything but talking that entire time. I would call that poor depiction in the art if it was confusing.

#28 Posted by Zoch81 (422 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: That agree to disagree from want was shown no fight between them beside the tridents clash you say happened off panel seriously doubt it my point view no fight between them like said agree to disargee.

#29 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@zoch81 said:

@ashrym: That agree to disagree from want was shown no fight between them beside the tridents clash you say happened off panel seriously doubt it my point view no fight between them like said agree to disargee.

Do you want the on panel clashes, breaks, and then showing clashing again? This was on panel, not off panel. Only 6 panels were off panel. I can appreciate not wanting to argue, but it's obvious they broke apart and re-engaged just like it's obvious Garth engaged during the fight with the rest of the atlantean team.

Keeping on topic, I was also catching up on Wonder Woman and she does seem to have gotten some type of benefit after becoming the god of war even if she doesn't seem to have fully become developed Ares' abilities, although Ares is back now so she might be dropping that. Aquaman's proposed FEB cover at DC comics shows he's back in his golden armor and appears to be carrying the Atlantean trident instead of Poseidon's so we might see him lose his nifty god powers anyway. That would be unfortunate. I like god powers Aquaman.

#30 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7143 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:
@zoch81 said:

Do you want the on panel clashes, breaks, and then showing clashing again? This was on panel, not off panel. Only 6 panels were off panel. I can appreciate not wanting to argue, but it's obvious they broke apart and re-engaged just like it's obvious Garth engaged during the fight with the rest of the atlantean team.

Keeping on topic, I was also catching up on Wonder Woman and she does seem to have gotten some type of benefit after becoming the god of war even if she doesn't seem to have fully become developed Ares' abilities, although Ares is back now so she might be dropping that. Aquaman's proposed FEB cover at DC comics shows he's back in his golden armor and appears to be carrying the Atlantean trident instead of Poseidon's so we might see him lose his nifty god powers anyway. That would be unfortunate. I like God Power Aquaman.

Same, it's honestly the reason I've been hooked on the run. That and Garth.

Might spam for it to be brought back.

#31 Posted by Zoch81 (422 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: dude l do have issue 43 during six panels you keeping talking about Arthur and Garth clashing with tridents in one panel the other five panels Arthur beating other Atlantis elite until Garth jump in six panel had tridents clash then Thule war engine appear behind them Arthur talking some sense into Garth about attacking it together.

Don't know where you getting idea fight between Arthur and Garth in this issue other clash tridents only fight happened between Arthur and other Atlantis elite but by all means post fight between Arthur and Garth and Arthur beating him l like to see it shame didn't happen in my book.

#32 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@zoch81: It's not issue 43, it's issues 42 and 43 that cover this.

From issue 42 where it started:

First and second panels. This shows the intercept and first then the first crossed weapons image.

No Caption Provided

Panels four through seven. This shows multiple panels engaged with changes in weapon angles and shows the first break between engaged weapons.

No Caption Provided

Panel eight. This show they continue to be separate.

No Caption Provided

Then we continue to issue 43.

Panels nine through fourteen. Most of these are just an individual blow up from the main panel. We can see weapons re-engaged after two disengaged panels.

No Caption Provided

Panels fifteen through seventeen. I clearly miscounted earlier. This is three more panels of engagement.

No Caption Provided

This is several on-panel images of the engagement between Arthur and Garth after Garth intervened when Arthur had been dealt with the rest of the elite atlantean squad. He didn't have any real trouble with the others and then is was actually longer than his fight with the rest. There was time for discussion, shifts in position and angle, and a clear break in what I see as CQC between the two characters. Even if the images aren't showing much action the changes shown in the images show there is some going on. This was fairly long to believe they were doing nothing but standing there arguing.

The original point was that Aquaman wasn't struggling with the rest of the squad without Wonder Woman also being there. He was clearly in a talking mood instead of an ending it mood like we saw when Wonder Woman was also there facing them, which indicated holding back. When he wanted to end combat he just dropped them with lightning in issue 46.

Issue 47 is showing more JL action on the cover, issue 48 is showing a proposed cover with Mera and Garth againg, and issue 49 proposed cover is showing his traditional golden armor and trident look.

#33 Posted by Ashrym (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

It was recently confirmed that Wonder Woman did get an upgrade in strength and speed when she took on the mantle of war per earlier in the discussion.

No Caption Provided

#34 Posted by seastone98 (4668 posts) - - Show Bio

Arthur was a low top tier before Poseidon's trident with it he's a mid top tier

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.