Could Aquaman tank nukes?

#1 Posted by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

Is he capable of that?

#2 Posted by Vrakmul (23829 posts) - - Show Bio

A "nuke" can mean anything from a davy crockett warhead which is 10-20 tons equivalence to the maximum of the Tsar bomba if you used a Uranium tamper instead of a lead one; which is 114 or so megatons (or literally five to ten million times bigger).

Just saying.

#3 Posted by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#4 Posted by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

@vrakmul said:

A "nuke" can mean anything from a davy crockett warhead which is 10-20 tons equivalence to the maximum of the Tsar bomba if you used a Uranium tamper instead of a lead one; which is 114 or so megatons (or literally five to ten million times bigger).

Just saying.

I know what can nuke mean, but was there any instance in comics that he did that or if he survived the blast equivalent to that? Tsar bomba could be too much, I read about it.

#5 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on how big the explosion is. Even so he has already shown he can tank explosions well.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
#6 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

Could Aquaman tank nukes?

Yes, the Pre-Flashpoint Aquaman did just that at least once.

#7 Edited by MadFacedKid (6596 posts) - - Show Bio

Wanted to wait for answers from people who don't really even read about the character.

Nukes a combination of blast impact/radius and heat to my understanding so like Vrakmul said depends on Nuke.

Edit: Btw Nothing's really been shown to my understanding to really hurt him blunt force wise where it was physically shown other then a punch by Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter.

Avatar image for the_judge_since_83
#8 Posted by The_Judge_since_83 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@heraldofganthet: Which issue did he do this in? I'd love to show some of my buddies who aren't as keen on Aquaman as I am.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#9 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

No.

He all ready has tanked a nuke and far worse.

#10 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@vrakmul said:

Just saying.

btw, sort off topic but large megaton yield nukes are actually not as effective as kiloton nukes. With the big ones, most of the energy just goes straight up into the atmosphere. for maximum destruction and killing power kilotons are actually more effective.

#11 Edited by HeraldofGanthet (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_judge_since_83:

I don't recall the issue number, but someone a while back over in the Battle Forums was trying to pretend that Aquaman was fragile or something stupid like that and @beatboks1 showed us all a scan that changed my perspective on Aquaman forever: A scan of him tanking a nuclear blast at point blank range. It was unbelievably awesome and raised his props meter with me immediately. And I've always liked the guy, despite pop culture's insistence that we all see him in his "Super Friends" incarnation.

Hopefully @beatboks1, @lion_heart22,@fallschirmjager, @tomlikesfries, @demonknights, and/or @godzilla44 can provide us with the scan/issue number to help us get the word out that the King of Atlantis ain't no punk b*tch!!!

By the way, "Welcome to the 'Vine"!;)

#12 Edited by Vrakmul (23829 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager said:

@vrakmul said:

Just saying.

btw, sort off topic but large megaton yield nukes are actually not as effective as kiloton nukes. Which the big ones, most of the energy just goes straight up into the atmosphere. for maximum destruction and killing power kilotons are actually more effective.

The term you are looking for is efficient. Not effective. A 114 megaton nuke probably will level any major metropolitan area and the fallout would contaminate the area for years, but two dozen 300 kiloton nukes would get more coverage and kill most anything you point them at just as dead.

#13 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@heraldofganthet: i dont have it, i think its beatboks who does

irrelevant anyway. Dead King puts out far more power than a nuke and Arthur tanked that just fine.

there's also his stratosphere feat, which idk if its nuke level but its very high. Its the same height Gypsy danger fell from for example...

and underwater at least, he tanked his own Trident which has its own myriad of ridiculous feats which includes setting off a Volcanic eruption which is an extremely high destructive feat. and he was basically on top of said eruption too

@vrakmul ah...yeah i musta misread something cos that makes more sense.

#14 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: its pre-52. new 52 he hasn't - he's tanked worse.

#16 Posted by The_Judge_since_83 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@heraldofganthet: Thanks, all the way around. I have also been a long time Aquaman fan despite what others say or think, one of the main reasons I love these forums, get a chance to hear from other people who like him as much as I do.

#17 Edited by HeraldofGanthet (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_judge_since_83:

Thanks, all the way around. I have also been a long time Aquaman fan despite what others say or think, one of the main reasons I love these forums, get a chance to hear from other people who like him as much as I do.

You're quite welcome, and I hope you have lots of fun here. Just watch out for trolls! if you come across any, just give @ancient_0f_days a ring.

He's a certified "Troll Hunter", dont'cha know!!^-^

#18 Edited by beatboks1 (9995 posts) - - Show Bio

@heraldofganthet: that wasn't a "nuclear blast" just an explosion. Arthur has never tanked a nuclear blast, as far as I know. It was a pretty big blast but not nuclear.

#19 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Was Orion involved? If so I have seen that feat before as well.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
#20 Edited by Ancient_0f_Days (17143 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_judge_since_83:

Thanks, all the way around. I have also been a long time Aquaman fan despite what others say or think, one of the main reasons I love these forums, get a chance to hear from other people who like him as much as I do.

You're quite welcome, and I hope you have lots of fun here. Just watch out for trolls! if you come across any, just give @ancient_0f_days a ring.

He's a certified "Troll Hunter", dont'cha know!!^-^

No Caption Provided

#21 Posted by The_Judge_since_83 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@ancient_0f_days: Thumbs up from a Super Saiyan Goku, well now I know this is some legit protection from trolls, they just Kaiō-can't get away. Sorry, I couldn't help myself

#22 Edited by HeraldofGanthet (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@beatboks1:

that wasn't a "nuclear blast" just an explosion. Arthur has never tanked a nuclear blast, as far as I know. It was a pretty big blast but not nuclear.

The blast field did look massive, you're exactly right. Still, even though the distance scaling was difficult to determine, the fact that he not only survived but went on to thrive was a serious testament to his resilience, IMO...

#23 Posted by myerlanski (2487 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as know...not an actual nuclear blast but he has tanked a continental busting attack by dead king...

#24 Edited by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre-52 I'm pretty sure he could withstand the impact. As for New-52, Aquaman shed blood from assault rifles and high caliber bullets before so not sure what a nuke would be able do. However, he did take a heavy blow from Dead King who has shown to have superhuman strength beyond any other living being in the ocean including Aquaman.

#25 Edited by seastone98 (4669 posts) - - Show Bio

he prolly could it just depends on how strong an explosion is it would have 2 be island lvl 2 do real damage 2 him giving da feats of durability he's shown so far

#26 Posted by lagoonman (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre 52 he tank a colosal blast from Starro, the same blast that KOed Orion, a New God, it was a huge blast fired from space, that can count as a nuke isnt?

#27 Edited by Waxonator (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@lagoonman said:

Pre 52 he tank a colosal blast from Starro, the same blast that KOed Orion, a New God, it was a huge blast fired from space, that can count as a nuke isnt?

No that doesn't count as a nuke. Also when did this happen in Morrison's JLA?

#28 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@waxonator: It happened in issues 22-23 of Morrison's JLA.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

The order of the scans is 4,3,1,2.

A huge Starro (visible from space) blasts Orion outside of Earth's atmosphere, and Aquaman takes the blast point blank. Orion is KOed and his New God Tech damaged but Aquaman is conscious and able to use his telepathy on Starro.

In New 52 Aquaman was blasted repeatedly by Superman's enemy Neutron, who is basically a living nuclear reactor. Aquaman was fine after the blasts. And also withstood the energy from the Dead King's sceptre that sank Atlantis.

#29 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Mera had to shield Aquaman from a 'suitcase nuke' explosion in a hard water bubble shield in Aquaman #22. That should cast some doubt over whether current Aquaman can tank nukes.

#30 Posted by Sy8000 (35236 posts) - - Show Bio

The heat might dehydrate him, but he should be fine against the raw force.

#31 Posted by KrleAvenger (26351 posts) - - Show Bio

Tanking a nuke requires durability against blunt force attacks and extreme temperature as well as resistance to high levels of radiation.

#32 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: That doesn't mean Aquaman couldn't tank it. Just that Mera came to assist Arthur. It doesn't confirm that he can't nor that he can.

#33 Posted by SoopahSoup (120 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: I think the force/impact would be no problem for him but for sure the radiation would probably mess arthur up a bit.

#34 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: No it doesn't confirm it but it equally doesn't look good for Aquaman's nuke durability if he had to be protected from a suitcase nuke. It keeps the answer ambiguous.

#35 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7146 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@comicfan11: No it doesn't confirm it but it equally doesn't look good for Aquaman's nuke durability if he had to be protected from a suitcase nuke. It keeps the answer ambiguous.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abnett's Aquaman couldn't. Abnett seemed to physically nerf Arthur.

The heat might dehydrate him, but he should be fine against the raw force.

Aquaman has very high tolerance for temperature extremes. I think Arthur's only downside to heat would be being in a humid environment for a very extended period of time. (Desert). Even then the one instance where he's in a desert dying it's typically ignored he was bleeding out.

#36 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: Well Abnett did write the first fight of Aquaman going toe to toe with Superman and a decent fight with Shaggy Man so swings and roundabouts I guess.

#37 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7146 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Fighting characters don't necessarily mean much. It doesn't mean that Aquaman isn't being nerfed just because he's shown fighting a powerhouse. We have no idea honestly what level Abnett's depiction of Superman or Shaggyman is at. Sure his Superman was still superior to Arthur but what about compared to other writers depictions of Superman how would his stack. By writer statement Abnett suggested Arthur could fight Superman in the same way Diana could but we didn't really get a sense of that if you compare fights. I make the same argument when Superman fights a lot of characters though. We don't truthfully know where the writer has his durability, speed or strength at in his story. Other then above Aquaman of course.

Honestly I don't think fights always keep best feats at mind. So I go off personal feats. Arthur being sent flying by bullets, threatened by explosions that destroy ships or being caught up swimming by Murk is stuff I'd say point at being nerfed.

Then again Abnett also had Murk on an Atlantean vehicle in the Shaggyman issues suggest he couldn't catch up to Arthur. So it could be all a bunch of WIS.

#38 Posted by SoopahSoup (120 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: the murk thing was 100% purely for plot. Abnett either forgot he wrote that or maybe Arthur just didn't think Murk would go that far to betray him and didn't see it coming.

#39 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7146 posts) - - Show Bio

@soopahsoup: He still logically was in a hurry to escape the dome. So the first one is more likely.

#40 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@soopahsoup: Aquaman simply thought he was in the clear, because he knows he is the fastest swimmer in the DCU. He just underestimated Murk, who had already confirmed no Atlantean can even come close to Aquaman's speed. Not even when using their best tech.

Confirmed multiple times by PAD, Johns, Parker, Abnett, etc

#41 Posted by SoopahSoup (120 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Farkam (12025 posts) - - Show Bio

The art was amazeballs.

#43 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6566 posts) - - Show Bio

He could potentially survive the explosion, maybe even the heat but I'm pretty sure the radiation would kill him

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.