Follow

Aquaman

Character » Aquaman appears in 4601 issues.

The son of an Atlantean queen and a lighthouse keeper from the town of Amnesty Bay, Arthur Curry would grow up to become the superhero Aquaman, and later take on his birthright as the King of Atlantis. He is a founding member of the Justice League and is among DC Comics' most recognized heroes.

Could Aquaman tank nukes?

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is he capable of that?

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A "nuke" can mean anything from a davy crockett warhead which is 10-20 tons equivalence to the maximum of the Tsar bomba if you used a Uranium tamper instead of a lead one; which is 114 or so megatons (or literally five to ten million times bigger).

Just saying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul said:

A "nuke" can mean anything from a davy crockett warhead which is 10-20 tons equivalence to the maximum of the Tsar bomba if you used a Uranium tamper instead of a lead one; which is 114 or so megatons (or literally five to ten million times bigger).

Just saying.

I know what can nuke mean, but was there any instance in comics that he did that or if he survived the blast equivalent to that? Tsar bomba could be too much, I read about it.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how big the explosion is. Even so he has already shown he can tank explosions well.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could Aquaman tank nukes?

Yes, the Pre-Flashpoint Aquaman did just that at least once.

Avatar image for the_judge_since_83
    The_Judge_since_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heraldofganthet: Which issue did he do this in? I'd love to show some of my buddies who aren't as keen on Aquaman as I am.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@jayc1324 said:

No.

He all ready has tanked a nuke and far worse.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@vrakmul said:

Just saying.

btw, sort off topic but large megaton yield nukes are actually not as effective as kiloton nukes. With the big ones, most of the energy just goes straight up into the atmosphere. for maximum destruction and killing power kilotons are actually more effective.

HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HeraldofGanthet

@the_judge_since_83:

I don't recall the issue number, but someone a while back over in the Battle Forums was trying to pretend that Aquaman was fragile or something stupid like that and @beatboks1 showed us all a scan that changed my perspective on Aquaman forever: A scan of him tanking a nuclear blast at point blank range. It was unbelievably awesome and raised his props meter with me immediately. And I've always liked the guy, despite pop culture's insistence that we all see him in his "Super Friends" incarnation.

Hopefully @beatboks1, @lion_heart22,@fallschirmjager, @tomlikesfries, @demonknights, and/or @godzilla44 can provide us with the scan/issue number to help us get the word out that the King of Atlantis ain't no punk b*tch!!!

By the way, "Welcome to the 'Vine"!;)

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vrakmul

@fallschirmjager said:

@vrakmul said:

Just saying.

btw, sort off topic but large megaton yield nukes are actually not as effective as kiloton nukes. Which the big ones, most of the energy just goes straight up into the atmosphere. for maximum destruction and killing power kilotons are actually more effective.

The term you are looking for is efficient. Not effective. A 114 megaton nuke probably will level any major metropolitan area and the fallout would contaminate the area for years, but two dozen 300 kiloton nukes would get more coverage and kill most anything you point them at just as dead.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@heraldofganthet: i dont have it, i think its beatboks who does

irrelevant anyway. Dead King puts out far more power than a nuke and Arthur tanked that just fine.

there's also his stratosphere feat, which idk if its nuke level but its very high. Its the same height Gypsy danger fell from for example...

and underwater at least, he tanked his own Trident which has its own myriad of ridiculous feats which includes setting off a Volcanic eruption which is an extremely high destructive feat. and he was basically on top of said eruption too

@vrakmul ah...yeah i musta misread something cos that makes more sense.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@blackwind: its pre-52. new 52 he hasn't - he's tanked worse.

The_Judge_since_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heraldofganthet: Thanks, all the way around. I have also been a long time Aquaman fan despite what others say or think, one of the main reasons I love these forums, get a chance to hear from other people who like him as much as I do.

HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HeraldofGanthet

@the_judge_since_83:

Thanks, all the way around. I have also been a long time Aquaman fan despite what others say or think, one of the main reasons I love these forums, get a chance to hear from other people who like him as much as I do.

You're quite welcome, and I hope you have lots of fun here. Just watch out for trolls! if you come across any, just give @ancient_0f_days a ring.

He's a certified "Troll Hunter", dont'cha know!!^-^

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By beatboks1

@heraldofganthet: that wasn't a "nuclear blast" just an explosion. Arthur has never tanked a nuclear blast, as far as I know. It was a pretty big blast but not nuclear.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Was Orion involved? If so I have seen that feat before as well.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
    Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ancient_0f_Days

@the_judge_since_83:

Thanks, all the way around. I have also been a long time Aquaman fan despite what others say or think, one of the main reasons I love these forums, get a chance to hear from other people who like him as much as I do.

You're quite welcome, and I hope you have lots of fun here. Just watch out for trolls! if you come across any, just give @ancient_0f_days a ring.

He's a certified "Troll Hunter", dont'cha know!!^-^

No Caption Provided

The_Judge_since_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ancient_0f_days: Thumbs up from a Super Saiyan Goku, well now I know this is some legit protection from trolls, they just Kaiō-can't get away. Sorry, I couldn't help myself

HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HeraldofGanthet

@beatboks1:

that wasn't a "nuclear blast" just an explosion. Arthur has never tanked a nuclear blast, as far as I know. It was a pretty big blast but not nuclear.

The blast field did look massive, you're exactly right. Still, even though the distance scaling was difficult to determine, the fact that he not only survived but went on to thrive was a serious testament to his resilience, IMO...

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as know...not an actual nuclear blast but he has tanked a continental busting attack by dead king...

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Raw_Material

Pre-52 I'm pretty sure he could withstand the impact. As for New-52, Aquaman shed blood from assault rifles and high caliber bullets before so not sure what a nuke would be able do. However, he did take a heavy blow from Dead King who has shown to have superhuman strength beyond any other living being in the ocean including Aquaman.

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By seastone98

he prolly could it just depends on how strong an explosion is it would have 2 be island lvl 2 do real damage 2 him giving da feats of durability he's shown so far

lagoonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pre 52 he tank a colosal blast from Starro, the same blast that KOed Orion, a New God, it was a huge blast fired from space, that can count as a nuke isnt?

Waxonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Waxonator

@lagoonman said:

Pre 52 he tank a colosal blast from Starro, the same blast that KOed Orion, a New God, it was a huge blast fired from space, that can count as a nuke isnt?

No that doesn't count as a nuke. Also when did this happen in Morrison's JLA?

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waxonator: It happened in issues 22-23 of Morrison's JLA.

The order of the scans is 4,3,1,2.

A huge Starro (visible from space) blasts Orion outside of Earth's atmosphere, and Aquaman takes the blast point blank. Orion is KOed and his New God Tech damaged but Aquaman is conscious and able to use his telepathy on Starro.

In New 52 Aquaman was blasted repeatedly by Superman's enemy Neutron, who is basically a living nuclear reactor. Aquaman was fine after the blasts. And also withstood the energy from the Dead King's sceptre that sank Atlantis.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Well Mera had to shield Aquaman from a 'suitcase nuke' explosion in a hard water bubble shield in Aquaman #22. That should cast some doubt over whether current Aquaman can tank nukes.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The heat might dehydrate him, but he should be fine against the raw force.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Tanking a nuke requires durability against blunt force attacks and extreme temperature as well as resistance to high levels of radiation.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: That doesn't mean Aquaman couldn't tank it. Just that Mera came to assist Arthur. It doesn't confirm that he can't nor that he can.

SoopahSoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: I think the force/impact would be no problem for him but for sure the radiation would probably mess arthur up a bit.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: No it doesn't confirm it but it equally doesn't look good for Aquaman's nuke durability if he had to be protected from a suitcase nuke. It keeps the answer ambiguous.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ecstaticgrace: Well Abnett did write the first fight of Aquaman going toe to toe with Superman and a decent fight with Shaggy Man so swings and roundabouts I guess.

SoopahSoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ecstaticgrace: the murk thing was 100% purely for plot. Abnett either forgot he wrote that or maybe Arthur just didn't think Murk would go that far to betray him and didn't see it coming.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soopahsoup: Aquaman simply thought he was in the clear, because he knows he is the fastest swimmer in the DCU. He just underestimated Murk, who had already confirmed no Atlantean can even come close to Aquaman's speed. Not even when using their best tech.

Confirmed multiple times by PAD, Johns, Parker, Abnett, etc

SoopahSoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art was amazeballs.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He could potentially survive the explosion, maybe even the heat but I'm pretty sure the radiation would kill him

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.