Can Aquaman fly?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
#1 Posted by deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0 (11360 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't noticed this,I read Justice League 8 at least five times and yet I didn't seen this,but thanks to I know exist that possibility!!! Look to the scans above

No Caption Provided
#2 Posted by Dernman (26044 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah he lacks the wings on the ankles. :p    Really though he was just free falling.

#3 Posted by Brit (419 posts) - - Show Bio

and he would survive even at that height coz he's the friggin' Aquaman!

#4 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

He leaps high building in a single bound.............wait.................where do i have heard that before :-P

#5 Posted by deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0 (11360 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon: He wasn't leaping there,because the airplane explode and they just get ou,he stopped in the middle air. Iknow tht he leap building,did you know that I made a respect thread form him too?

#6 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: i know he wasn't leaping i only said it for fun :-P

I gonna check out your respect thread!

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
#7 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15334 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Green Arrow, he got screwed over by the JLA.

#8 Posted by deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0 (11360 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: If his just free falling,why GL didn't created a platform for him? another question,how Batman get there,if he isn't with them in the airplane?

#9 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: batman was probably with them on the plane later on (or was already there).But aquaman is probably free falling because it seems like green lantern is bringing them down.OR most likely an artist error

#10 Posted by SoA (6246 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe the artist thought he had exact same abilities as namor, im not that knowledgeable in DC but im pretty sure aquaman never flew ,

#11 Posted by Dernman (26044 posts) - - Show Bio
@matchesmalone21: Because as already shown Aquaman has the ability to jump to great heights and land on his own. Kind of like Superman in early action comics. Aquaman simply might not have needed it.  As far as Batman it was awhile ago that I read the issue so I can't comment on that.
#12 Posted by deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0 (11360 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Batman wasn't with them,Flash confirmed this in previous scans..you can see it in Green Arrow respect thread

#13 Edited by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: oh,well then I guess cyborged boomed him in later during the fight or something like that.

OR he came later on in the fight

#14 Posted by deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0 (11360 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: But why Cyborg would teleported Btaman to an exploded airplane?

#15 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8950 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm. Looks like he can.. I guess?

#16 Posted by Onemoreposter (4365 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

Nah he lacks the wings on the ankles. :p
#17 Edited by BlackWind (9791 posts) - - Show Bio

No. And he never should. A sea based character has no need for independent flight.

Besides, when you can jump like he can, he gets around just fine on land.

#18 Posted by geoff2005 (213 posts) - - Show Bio

lol im guessing its artist error

#19 Posted by DanialCarroll (2540 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember seeing this, but just shrugged it off. My guess is that Carlos D'Anda just made a boo-boo. It can't imagine John's script saying, "Have Aquaman flying in the background" :)

#20 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

He can't fly but he can jump extremely high (and consequently land without any trouble at all)

In this pic I think he is just falling.

#21 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by AssertingValor (8176 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman should fly, if he can't already :P

#23 Posted by BlackWind (9791 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by jointron33 (2107 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at WW flying and catching that plane! Beautiful!

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
#25 Posted by GustavoBurciaga1 (652 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm sure he has Hydro-kinesis to an extent so maybe he can manipulate the water in his body to make himself fly.

#26 Edited by Ashrym (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

@gustavoburciaga1 said:

Well I'm sure he has Hydro-kinesis to an extent so maybe he can manipulate the water in his body to make himself fly.

No, he doesn't fly, but he can fall with style. ;-)

Aquaman can move fast, swim fast, super leap, and since petitioning Poseidon he can teleport including to other planets and between dimensions. Actual flight I don't recall seeing in n52 yet or the type of water control he would need base on your hypothesis. Mera, Nereus, and Siren are all hydrokinetic and we see none of them flying. Mera also super leaps or using supporting columns of water for elevated heights if there's enough around.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
#27 Posted by GustavoBurciaga1 (652 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:
@gustavoburciaga1 said:

Aquaman can move fast, swim fast, super leap, and since petitioning Poseidon he can teleport including to other planets and between dimensions. Actual flight I don't recall seeing in n52 yet or the type of water control he would need base on your hypothesis. Mera, Nereus, and Siryn are all hydrokinetic and we see none of them flying. Mera also super leaps or using supporting columns of water for elevated heights if there's enough around.

He appears to be flying or at least hovering in Batman's Endgame story arc.

#28 Posted by Ashrym (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:
@gustavoburciaga1 said:

Aquaman can move fast, swim fast, super leap, and since petitioning Poseidon he can teleport including to other planets and between dimensions. Actual flight I don't recall seeing in n52 yet or the type of water control he would need base on your hypothesis. Mera, Nereus, and Siryn are all hydrokinetic and we see none of them flying. Mera also super leaps or using supporting columns of water for elevated heights if there's enough around.

He appears to be flying or at least hovering in Batman's Endgame story arc.

Put it down to weird artist interpretation on jumping. Aquaman doesn't fly but he has been known to demonstrate grace and acrobatics in his jumping at times. He definitely jumps.

Heck, he doesn't even fly in supersonic jets if he's in a hurry. Those slow him down. ;-)

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#29 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not one of his powers but we see it happen from time to time ...always in JL comics. Probably for convenience

He was flying in space with them in Morrison's run I think

#30 Edited by Ashrym (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager said:

It's not one of his powers but we see it happen from time to time ...always in JL comics. Probably for convenience

He was flying in space with them in Morrison's run I think

I think one of the tridents he had in the past allowed it too. It definitely wasn't consistent and I don't think there's been a demonstration in n52. The image above could just as easily be having had kicked off of falling debris toward the platform or one of the mistakes in that issue. He clearly super leaps these days.

#31 Posted by Abishai100 (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquatic Alchemy

I think it's interesting that we would imagine that Aquaman (DC Comics) would have even more enhanced powers than those we know him to have. Is this because of good writing or poor writing?

I mean, Aquaman has already established himself as a potent and imaginative terrain-exploratory superhuman and the only mainstream superhero to reign over an offbeat environment (the water).

We know from crypto-zoology that the human folklore surrounding the existence of mermaids (half-human, half-fish) creatures has stirred civilization's imagination about species evolution deviations and terrain/environment storytelling.

Aquaman is sort of like a mermaid, and his nemesis Black Manta is certainly a sea-beast or a leviathan.

I'd like to see a storyline in which Aquaman is transformed by a poisonous material into becoming a hideous and malicious humanois sea creature, an evil mermaid if you will. Would such a storyline invite discussion about how Aquaman already symbolizes mobility characterization?

I'd rather see a storyline involving the discovery that Aquaman has an estranged superhuman twin brother named Sky-King who can fly (like Hawkman).

Mermaid

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#32 Posted by Abishai100 (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

Moving Median

Aquaman resides in a matrix of water, so positing that he can fly adds to the notion that we are curious about augmentation of aquatic environments, which perhaps explains why we are fascinated by misshapen under-water creatures such as seahorses and hammerhead-sharks.

Maybe comic book superheroes are like holograms, inviting us to ponder the intellectual value of self-transformation and hyperbole.

I think Aquaman (DC Comics) is to comic books what Mickey Mouse (Walt Disney) is to theme parks.

No Caption Provided

#33 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

he currently shows flight in the current arc.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#34 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: Yeah when I was reading that I was like woah and wondering if this was part of the blessing or trident.

Looking back its not that surprising I believe in 43 he said he has control of the air so this is probably him manipulating the air.

I'm gonna be sad when he looses the Poseidon blessing and trident feel so much could of been done with it :/

#35 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym said:
@gustavoburciaga1 said:

Aquaman can move fast, swim fast, super leap, and since petitioning Poseidon he can teleport including to other planets and between dimensions. Actual flight I don't recall seeing in n52 yet or the type of water control he would need base on your hypothesis. Mera, Nereus, and Siren are all hydrokinetic and we see none of them flying. Mera also super leaps or using supporting columns of water for elevated heights if there's enough around.

Earth 2 Marella used clouds to keep herself in the air and Mera has displayed hydrokinesis away from water so the idea of them moving around with water as a means to flight isn't far fetched I believe Garth use to do it Pre-Flashpoint for some reason even though he has levitation he'd create the water tornadoes he'd fly on.

I believe Mera uses her hydrokinesis to propel her as well which is why she can swim as fast if not faster then Aquaman and can leap as high if not higher.

#36 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, to me it just doesn't make any sense if he can fly, his element is water not the air... and the same is true for Namor, even if he has (of all things) wings on his ankles. So at the end of the day, despite how rude this might be, it's accurate to me:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
#37 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85:

Honestly, to me it just doesn't make any sense if he can fly, his element is water not the air... and the same is true for Namor, even if he has (of all things) wings on his ankles. So at the end of the day, despite how rude this might be, it's accurate to me:

Well.... It's not the most outlandish thing that could happen. If I remember correctly, the Trident of Neptune grants him full control of (among other things) the elements, especially in regards to storm/tsunami conditions. If that's still true in the New 52-verse, then it's not completely out of the question for him to manipulate wind gusts like Storm, Cyclone, or Weather Wizard would and float or even fly under those conditions.

IMO...

#38 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@heraldofganthet: True enough and I get the idea of how someone like Mera could take to the skies and such... it's just not where I picture the character being. Like even if the physics are there, I dont expect to the see the Flash flying either (the faster he goes, the hard the air effectively becomes, eventually he would be able to step on it and run into the sky).

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
#39 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85:

True enough and I get the idea of how someone like Mera could take to the skies and such... it's just not where I picture the character being. Like even if the physics are there, I dont expect to the see the Flash flying either (the faster he goes, the hard the air effectively becomes, eventually he would be able to step on it and run into the sky).

It's interesting that you mention this because this is EXACTLY how Johnny Quick first learned to fly. Once he got the hang of it, he subsequently taught this maneuver to his daughter Jesse Chambers and to this day they are the only two Flashes who have literally flown under their own power.

#40 Posted by BlackWind (9791 posts) - - Show Bio

No he can't. And he really doesnt need to.

#41 Posted by Ashrym (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

No he can't. And he really doesnt need to.

He doesn't need to, and in Aquaman and the Others it was clearly stated he cannot fly, but in Aquaman 46 he's shown hovering in the air with Wonder Woman having a discussion. It's possible Poseidon's power is allowing this and it wasn't evident in the last 6 months if it's not a artist mistake. It could be flight, levitation, or just levitation over water but it's possible there's something cooking there now.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
#42 Posted by MattyDaveHalPeo (665 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85:

True enough and I get the idea of how someone like Mera could take to the skies and such... it's just not where I picture the character being. Like even if the physics are there, I dont expect to the see the Flash flying either (the faster he goes, the hard the air effectively becomes, eventually he would be able to step on it and run into the sky).

It's interesting that you mention this because this is EXACTLY how Johnny Quick first learned to fly. Once he got the hang of it, he subsequently taught this maneuver to his daughter Jesse Chambers and to this day they are the only two Flashes who have literally flown under their own power.

Reckon one day we'll see Jay/Barry/Wally/Bart fly?

#43 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@mattydavehalpeo: Only if someone threw them... or if they did like Wally did in JLU and made two wobbly tornados with his arms.

#44 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

Love seeing all these people wanting Aquaman "grounded" its abit hilarious if not sad.

Characters adapt to situations and change if the story calls for it. Get over it.

I dont get how it doesnt make sense especially given the fact he has control over wind.. Think about it if you must..

Same with Flash manipulating his speed in ways when need be to give him some aerial abilities.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.