Aquaman's Powers

#1 Posted by OptimucCrime (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Possibly dumb question but here it goes. Where does Aquaman get his powers from? I'm familiar with his specific abilities but am just not sure where they come from. Is it because he is Atlantean, Atlantean/Human, or something else?

#2 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

@optimuccrime: It's due to his royal lineage. Ancient Atlantean Magic passed down from centuries I'd say. Same as Garth being a descendant of Arion on why he's mystically talented. Arthur and Orm are descendants of Atlan.

I made a thread awhile back its on Number 14 check it out for scan proof.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/aquaman/4005-2357/forums/aquaman-misconceptions-and-facts-thread-1768562/#18

#3 Posted by Ashrym (2918 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: Arthur is a descendant of Atlan's traitorous brother per Death of a King. His ancestry to Atlan was one of Vulko's lies.

Possibly dumb question but here it goes. Where does Aquaman get his powers from? I'm familiar with his specific abilities but am just not sure where they come from. Is it because he is Atlantean, Atlantean/Human, or something else?

It's a combination. Aquaman's hybrid nature is supposed to have given him enhanced abilities beyond other Atlanteans, and Atlanteans of royal bloodlines can inherit the abilities from their ancestry. Normally, royal Atlanteans are more powerful than regular Atlanteans, and may have special abilities and/or access to relics and artifacts of significance. Orm, for example, did not inherit Atlanna's telepathy like Arthur did, but he has a mask and scepter so he can control the weather and seas. Arthur did inherit Atlanna's telepathic abilities and claimed his trident (one of the ancient relics) as the rightful heir to the throne based on Vulko's tutelage. Mera has hydrokinetic abilities as part of her royal bloodines from the kingdom of Xebel but Siren did not and needed the sorcerers of Thule to give her the same abilities.

It wasn't stated what specific effect Arthur's hybrid nature has on his powers. He was stated to be different form Atlanteans on the inside, and it was stated he's not like other Atlanteans based on his demonstrations of strength and speed during the Death of a King arc.

He gained additional powers of a god after petitioning Poseidon, which he lost at the end of the Exile story arc.

Soooooo, short version is he gets his powers from being an Atlantean, his royal bloodline, his hybrid nature, his access to ancient relics, and his gifts from Poseidon.

#4 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: Garth was shown to have some type of blue heat vision in Titand Hunt. Do you know how that works and what his other abilities are?

#5 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

@theexile285: It was purple wasn't it? Also those are optic blast it's an ability he had Pre-Flashpoint as well.

If his powers are anything like Pre-Flashpoint he has a lot of them and it's due to his magical ancestry, I'm not sure but someone told me he's a descendant of Arion whose a really powerful mage in the DCU.

I made a thread awhile back if you'd like to check it out on the Garth forum. Link below.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/tempest-1140/garth-aqualad-itempest-composite-respect-thread-1756213/

#6 Edited by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: It may have been purple. Been a few weeks since I read the issue. Anyway, thanks for the link.

#7 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: Atlan and Orin still have the same parents, meaning Aquaman's line in some extent connects to Atlan. Just not a direct descendant.

I'm wondering who Atlan/Orin's parents could be to be honest I'm guessing it's someone who was also in The Atlantis Chronicles. Or someone previously shown before.

Atlan needs more back story or they should make a second Atlantis Chronicles.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.