Aquaman Rebirth #1 Preview

#1 Edited by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7134 posts) - - Show Bio

The art looks really great.

#3 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: Looks good, the art is amazing and I really hope your prediction for RIse of the Seven Seas comes true. Abnett stated that RotSS is coming in his last Newsarama interview last week.

#4 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: It's been a long time since I've seen Arthur battled other Atlanteans.. with the Rise of the Seven Seas is around the corner, I'm guessing they introducing the other kingdoms this early (now that Pre-Flashpoint does exists).

#5 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: He fought them a couple of times in Bunn's misguided run as I remember. But yeah my guess is the Seven Kingdoms will be a retcon of the Seven Kingdoms that were introduced during PAD's run. I'm especially curious about the one that had the Fisherman statue in issue 24 of Johns' run.

#6 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really looking forward to this. It looks great.

#7 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope it doesn't turn into another "Aquaman is branded as a traitor and needs to save the day and prove Atlantis wrong, again" type of story. Seriously, that plot is overused.

#8 Posted by Rainshadow777 (521 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope it doesn't turn into another "Aquaman is branded as a traitor and needs to save the day and prove Atlantis wrong, again" type of story. Seriously, that plot is overused.

Tell me about it. The Rebirth issue still pushes this barrow too, with another reference to civilians hating Aquaman because they mistakenly think he caused the flooding of Boston, and the psychic energy of the stones/buildings of Atlantis itself thinking he's a traitor and a fraud! I don't think we'll ever get away from the 'is he the rightful king or not' sub-plot.

Another thing I didn't really like that much about the Rebirth issue include the 4 pages of him sitting in a diner eating chowder as well as the constant reiteration that he isn't a considered a cool character. That really annoyed me because Geoff Johns completely fixed that perception during his awesome New 52 run giving him strength and charisma, plus I also think it could put casual readers off by reminding them that Aquaman isn't cool.

The ending was awesome though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.