Aquaman: Misconceptions and Facts Thread

#1 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like this is something that's been in need of making for probably years. So I decided to address some misconceptions and state facts from the comics that I felt needed to be addressed to help those who are new to Aquaman or don't know as much but are open to learning.

1. (M) Aquaman is Stronger/Faster Underwater:

I think this misconception comes from the fact that people see incredible accomplishments from Aquaman submerged and assume it has to do with being in Water. Aquaman has the best mobility in water meaning he can move more freely in it then other characters for the most part he also gets rejuvenated meaning water seems to boost up his healing factor almost instantly. Which is why he's at a big advantage at sea. One of the reasons he's a powerful brick though is his body is accustomed to the deepest parts of the sea.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

1. Some of the few statements made from being adapted to the ocean pressures

2. His travel speed isn't greater in water as well, he can leap great distances due to the lack of pressure out of water, his physical strength allowing him to jump across cities

3. Swimming he's kept up with speedsters such as Barry,Wally and Walter in times of hurry as well as Superman and Wonder Woman.

2. (M) Aquaman can't go without water for over an hour:

I think this misconception comes from the Silver Age where he needed water every hour. Every other version of Aquaman doesn't share that weakness as is explained below

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

3. (M) Aquaman talks to fish:

I believe the PAD run suggesting Aquaman bargain/negotiates and commands Fish this has been for the most part shown as commanding take that as you will but he's usually shown to have control over them and as far as I care

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

4. (F) Aquaman's weaker then Superman:

Aquaman being physically weaker in strength then Superman isn't a mind blower to anyone even Aquaman admits this

No Caption Provided

but what might be is the idea that Superman isn't vastly superior to Aquaman who has a history of wrecking/fighting Superman ranged characters. With a combination of strength/speed/skill and powers which has let him go blow for blow with Superman classed characters. Statements made by some Superman and Aquaman writers.

No Caption Provided

"Peter David"

No Caption Provided

"Dan Jurgens"

No Caption Provided

"Geoff Johns"

5. (M) Aquaman can't combat characters who can fly

This is shown false in any continuity he's shown to be able to charge at great speed and leap really high in the air which is practically an upwards charge.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

6. (M) Aquaman's telepathy only works on Sea Life/Organic Life Forms:

Aquaman's telepathy has shown to be straight up telepathy it's been shown to be used to sense water, control a Green Lantern ring, a Cybernetic Conscious, A dead corpse, An elemental, a demon Neron's power had no control over.

He's shown that he can get out of telepathy like illusions.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

1. Takes control of a Cybernetic entity

2. Controls a power ring

3. Resist Maxima's hypnotism

4. Blocking entrance to his mind

5. Causes vibrations

6. Controls poisonous Bane which shocks the Atlanteans

Also has showings like sensing water, danger senses and sonar

7. (F) Aquaman holds back and most of his low showings are taken out of context:

Some Scans of Aquaman's are taken out of context usually for the worse. Fighting Batman, Fighting Joker, getting his hand eaten by Piranhas there's all context to it that's either being ignored or not knowing what's taking place in the comic

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

1-2. The Joker instance is normally taken out of context, it was a low ball it's pretty much the only damage he did, after that he got held by the neck from Aquaman (Funny book, great read) (Legends26)

3-4. The instance of Batman vs Aquaman is often taken out of context it's from the same book (Legends27) and Batman doesn't even hurt Aquaman the image after the first suggest Aquaman could hardly keep his balance he felt light because of the lack of pressure, shown by him bumping into things and knocking them over.

5-8. Suggest how a fight goes with humans even if enhanced.

As for the Piranha instance before getting his hand eaten the villain weakened Aquaman with this machine he was using to try and take his powers

8. (M) Aquaman doesn't eat Sea food:

Atlanteans eat Sea food at least some, Aquaman believes in eating sea food just doesn't kill sealife for sport but only necessity

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

9. (M) Aquaman was made into a Powerhouse because of The New52:

False I'd honestly suggest he has better feats Pre-Flashpoint it's just he has more presence and focus put on him now as of the reboot

Showings against/from Olympian, Piscator, Martian Manhunter, Malefic, Power Girl, Superboy, Wonder Woman, Parralax Hal, Amazo, Despero I could go on and probably there are more things I don't know about

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

His strongest strength and durability feats are Pre-Flashpoint though like holding up a city block or tanking a blast that KO'd Orion or even being construct slammed by Parralax Hal.

10. (M) Aquaman doesn't have a rogue gallery:

False! I probably can't even name all of his rogues off memory there's some I probably as well don't know of

(1) Black Manta, (2) Ocean Master, (3) King Shark, (4) Scavenger, (5) Fisherman, (6) Atlan The Dead King, (7) Chimera, (8) Trench, (9) Thule Sorcerers, (10) Black Jack, (11) Fire Trolls, (12) Kosnor, (13) Gamamnae, (14) Rama Khan, (15) Kordax, (16) Deep 6, (17) The Thirst, (18) The Eel, (19) Marine Marauder, (20) Piranha Man, (21) Charybdis and Scylla, (22) Oceanus, (23) DemonGate, (24) Piscator and so forth

11. (F) Aquaman is wealthy:

He's shown to have a vast fortune due to lost gold or not being able to retrieve Gold. His protégé Garth has funded the Titans at one point and later in life buys a beach side resort. Has flexed his wealth at times as well.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

12. (M) Aquaman is Gay:

I'm not sure if this is an attempt to insult a fictional character in an ignorant way but regardless Aquaman in any continuity has never been portrayed as homosexual or bisexual

(Ignore continuity) His love interest include most notably first Mera, Dolphin, Kako, Ya'Wara, Wonder Woman, Esther Maris, Lisa Morel, Katie Mahan and has even been attracted to a female Dolphin as a youth. Lois Lane if you count Smallville

He's not against being homosexual and handles male attraction towards him fine

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

13. (M) Aquaman is weak to heat:

False he has great heat resistance he's shown to be fine standing around fire, he's tanked heat vision and Martian vision as well as being surrounded by Hell fire

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

1. On fire

2. Taking heat vision

3. Surrounded by Hell fire

4. Fighting on a burning boat

14. (F) Aquaman is Stronger then other Atlanteans:

Aquaman is physically more powerful then other Atlanteans alot of people know this already but they question why he's so much stronger then his subject when there all built to withstand sea pressure and he's a hybrid. Explanation

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Royal Atlanteans are usually portrayed as greater in ability

15. (F) Aquaman claims dominion over the World:

No Caption Provided

1. Aquaman telling Chutulu he has dominion over the planet

2. Joker accepting Aquaman being King of the Planet

3. "I rule most of this planets surface and all of its depths"

16. (F) Aquaman isn't Prejudice

#2 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread should be recommended to the people who usually low ball him.

#3 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: Completely my reasoning behind the thread. I tend to hear alot of casuals suggest he's stronger or faster in water which makes no sense when writers say "for a man who can survive the deepest parts of the oceans he is super strong/quick on land where the pressure is off"

The rules most of the Planet is kinda the reasoning or the main one I suggest his spot on the League.

Glad you find purpose in the thread feel free to reference it, if you find anything else that's in question concerning Aquaman feel free to post it here and I'll try to address it.

#4 Posted by Ashrym (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

The "doesn't eat fish" thing is funny. It's like saying humans don't eat mammals. It's even more confusing when a person looks at Atlanteans and sees the mammalian traits.

This is what some of the most powerful people on the planet do to relax:

No Caption Provided

#5 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: Yeah it's a bit silly and I think that's what Johns point in it was, kinda calling out people for their ignorance. It's at least how I see it.

Thanks for that scan I honestly never paid attention to the gigantic fish on the table, I'd like to include it if you don't mind me using your particular cropped image?

#6 Posted by Ashrym (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: Yeah it's a bit silly and I think that's what Johns point in it was, kinda calling out people for their ignorance. It's at least how I see it.

Thanks for that scan I honestly never paid attention to the gigantic fish on the table, I'd like to include it if you don't mind me using your particular cropped image?

By all means. I would expect other people to make use scans. That one is from Superman/Wonder Woman Annual 2 for reference.

#7 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: Appreciate it didn't want to hunt down the issue and page.

#8 Posted by The_Kidd (12178 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you, very informative.

#9 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashrym: Its honestly a really dumb question. What in the world do people think Atlanteans eat? Of course they eat fish. Aquaman has even once made fish jump into the nets of some fishermen.

Also the last one is a very good showing of his character. Aquaman has been a victim of prejudice and ignorance since the 90s for one reason or another, if not longer. He's always been against discrimination.

#11 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice thread brotha @ecstaticgrace definitely tells the people who don't really know Aquaman to well on how powerful and badass he really is.

#12 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material: I usually have to bring a lot of this stuff up on a regular basis so I thought it would be smart just to have something I can give people for information from Aquaman comics or content.

Glad you like it mate.

#13 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by MetalJimmor (6547 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a great deal of interest in learning the context behind J'onn kissing Arthur. What is that from?

Granted, not that I blame J'onn. Aquaman IS ridiculously hot!

#15 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor: Lol its from the current Martian Manhunter series it might be issue 7.

I honestly saw it coming :P in Trinity War J'onn was disguised as Mera, in Forever Evil I believe he saw Aquaman in the Firestorm Matrix I'm not sure the context behind what being the Matrix entails so I won't suggest it was a dream, in the Aquaman issue Martian Manhunter appeared in he was talking about what life could of been if he had first arrived in Atlantis when he came to Earth.

All indicating J'onn wants to steal Mera's spot as Queen of Atlantis.... jk :P

#16 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

Arthur and J'onn have always been really close.

#17 Posted by Chimeroid (9267 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: Couple of things and some questions

Water hand *should* give him the ability to drain people instantly. It is the nature of it. He doesn't do it though.

Question: Where are these scans from? http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11124/111244877/5044159-martian-manhunter-5-aquaman-pearl-kiss-gay.jpg

He claims dominion over MOST of the world. Not the entirety

#18 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind said:

Arthur and J'onn have always been really close.

Never that close :P though I don't mind the friendship J'onn needs to respect his commitment to Mera.

I would definitely love to see more team ups between Arthur and J'onn though.

@chimeroid

Eh I reread the Thirst storyline you might be right, I see The Thirst as a different character then Aquaman though despite it being the negative repercussions of the Water Hand.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Martian_Manhunter_Vol_4_5

In some cases Aquaman just assumes the role or brings into mention that he's king of most of it as you can see in the scans. My favorite recent quote having to do with this is Injustice where he challenged Superman "Your entire world is inside mine". I like to think one of the biggest reasons he's a founding member is because any threat to the world deserves his immediate attention due to the fact he governs a large part of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.