I feel like this is something that's been in need of making for probably years. So I decided to address some misconceptions and state facts from the comics that I felt needed to be addressed to help those who are new to Aquaman or don't know as much but are open to learning.
1. (M) Aquaman is Stronger/Faster Underwater:
I think this misconception comes from the fact that people see incredible accomplishments from Aquaman submerged and assume it has to do with being in Water. Aquaman has the best mobility in water meaning he can move more freely in it then other characters for the most part he also gets rejuvenated meaning water seems to boost up his healing factor almost instantly. Which is why he's at a big advantage at sea. One of the reasons he's a powerful brick though is his body is accustomed to the deepest parts of the sea.
1. Some of the few statements made from being adapted to the ocean pressures
2. His travel speed isn't greater in water as well, he can leap great distances due to the lack of pressure out of water, his physical strength allowing him to jump across cities
3. Swimming he's kept up with speedsters such as Barry,Wally and Walter in times of hurry as well as Superman and Wonder Woman.
2. (M) Aquaman can't go without water for over an hour:
I think this misconception comes from the Silver Age where he needed water every hour. Every other version of Aquaman doesn't share that weakness as is explained below
3. (M) Aquaman talks to fish:
I believe the PAD run suggesting Aquaman bargain/negotiates and commands Fish this has been for the most part shown as commanding take that as you will but he's usually shown to have control over them and as far as I care
4. (F) Aquaman's weaker then Superman:
Aquaman being physically weaker in strength then Superman isn't a mind blower to anyone even Aquaman admits this
but what might be is the idea that Superman isn't vastly superior to Aquaman who has a history of wrecking/fighting Superman ranged characters. With a combination of strength/speed/skill and powers which has let him go blow for blow with Superman classed characters. Statements made by some Superman and Aquaman writers.
5. (M) Aquaman can't combat characters who can fly
This is shown false in any continuity he's shown to be able to charge at great speed and leap really high in the air which is practically an upwards charge.
6. (M) Aquaman's telepathy only works on Sea Life/Organic Life Forms:
Aquaman's telepathy has shown to be straight up telepathy it's been shown to be used to sense water, control a Green Lantern ring, a Cybernetic Conscious, A dead corpse, An elemental, a demon Neron's power had no control over.
He's shown that he can get out of telepathy like illusions.
1. Takes control of a Cybernetic entity
2. Controls a power ring
3. Resist Maxima's hypnotism
4. Blocking entrance to his mind
5. Causes vibrations
6. Controls poisonous Bane which shocks the Atlanteans
Also has showings like sensing water, danger senses and sonar
7. (F) Aquaman holds back and most of his low showings are taken out of context:
Some Scans of Aquaman's are taken out of context usually for the worse. Fighting Batman, Fighting Joker, getting his hand eaten by Piranhas there's all context to it that's either being ignored or not knowing what's taking place in the comic
1-2. The Joker instance is normally taken out of context, it was a low ball it's pretty much the only damage he did, after that he got held by the neck from Aquaman (Funny book, great read) (Legends26)
3-4. The instance of Batman vs Aquaman is often taken out of context it's from the same book (Legends27) and Batman doesn't even hurt Aquaman the image after the first suggest Aquaman could hardly keep his balance he felt light because of the lack of pressure, shown by him bumping into things and knocking them over.
5-8. Suggest how a fight goes with humans even if enhanced.
As for the Piranha instance before getting his hand eaten the villain weakened Aquaman with this machine he was using to try and take his powers
8. (M) Aquaman doesn't eat Sea food:
Atlanteans eat Sea food at least some, Aquaman believes in eating sea food just doesn't kill sealife for sport but only necessity
9. (M) Aquaman was made into a Powerhouse because of The New52:
False I'd honestly suggest he has better feats Pre-Flashpoint it's just he has more presence and focus put on him now as of the reboot
Showings against/from Olympian, Piscator, Martian Manhunter, Malefic, Power Girl, Superboy, Wonder Woman, Parralax Hal, Amazo, Despero I could go on and probably there are more things I don't know about
His strongest strength and durability feats are Pre-Flashpoint though like holding up a city block or tanking a blast that KO'd Orion or even being construct slammed by Parralax Hal.
10. (M) Aquaman doesn't have a rogue gallery:
False! I probably can't even name all of his rogues off memory there's some I probably as well don't know of
(1) Black Manta, (2) Ocean Master, (3) King Shark, (4) Scavenger, (5) Fisherman, (6) Atlan The Dead King, (7) Chimera, (8) Trench, (9) Thule Sorcerers, (10) Black Jack, (11) Fire Trolls, (12) Kosnor, (13) Gamamnae, (14) Rama Khan, (15) Kordax, (16) Deep 6, (17) The Thirst, (18) The Eel, (19) Marine Marauder, (20) Piranha Man, (21) Charybdis and Scylla, (22) Oceanus, (23) DemonGate, (24) Piscator and so forth
11. (F) Aquaman is wealthy:
He's shown to have a vast fortune due to lost gold or not being able to retrieve Gold. His protégé Garth has funded the Titans at one point and later in life buys a beach side resort. Has flexed his wealth at times as well.
12. (M) Aquaman is Gay:
I'm not sure if this is an attempt to insult a fictional character in an ignorant way but regardless Aquaman in any continuity has never been portrayed as homosexual or bisexual
(Ignore continuity) His love interest include most notably first Mera, Dolphin, Kako, Ya'Wara, Wonder Woman, Esther Maris, Lisa Morel, Katie Mahan and has even been attracted to a female Dolphin as a youth. Lois Lane if you count Smallville
He's not against being homosexual and handles male attraction towards him fine
13. (M) Aquaman is weak to heat:
False he has great heat resistance he's shown to be fine standing around fire, he's tanked heat vision and Martian vision as well as being surrounded by Hell fire
1. On fire
2. Taking heat vision
3. Surrounded by Hell fire
4. Fighting on a burning boat
14. (F) Aquaman is Stronger then other Atlanteans:
Aquaman is physically more powerful then other Atlanteans alot of people know this already but they question why he's so much stronger then his subject when there all built to withstand sea pressure and he's a hybrid. Explanation
Royal Atlanteans are usually portrayed as greater in ability
15. (F) Aquaman claims dominion over the World:
1. Aquaman telling Chutulu he has dominion over the planet
2. Joker accepting Aquaman being King of the Planet
3. "I rule most of this planets surface and all of its depths"
16. (F) Aquaman isn't Prejudice