Another Aquacentric story by Hitch?

#1 Edited by EcstaticGrace (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought some of you might be interested in this, and I'd like to start it off saying that I love the way Hitch writes Aquaman. I know love is a strong word, but that's honestly how I feel about the way he writes the character, some might agree, or disagree, but I'd like to share why I feel that way.

I feel if I was to make a list of the best Aquaman moments stuff next to "I am your King" a lot of the stuff from Hitch's JLA would be there. From his sarcastic witty humor with the Krypton is destroyed mention to hanging out in Amnesty Bay with Mera to ramming a Trident through a Kryptonian God's chest the character undisputed had a lot of cool moments in such a short period of time I'll add in a book with focus on several characters which I think is great considering in the past JL/JLA stories we could go a entire arc and have only one standout moment for Aquaman or maybe even none.

The characterization is my ideal characterization as well it reminds me of the Bruce Timm JL cartoons I grew up with. The King who isn't shy about making his demands known who as well has a clever sarcastic side to show he's not always brooding. From moments like his talk to the U.N. about Atlantean Technology, to Quotes like "Take your God and get the Hell out of my City" to Superman: "I have a Plan" Aquaman: "Now you tell us" I honestly don't see how you couldn't like his characterization or at least I don't see how you could think it doesn't blend in with the character.

I also like how he isn't side shafted I like that he was shown aiding alongside Superman and Wonder Woman because he's often times forgotten to be a powerhouse in his own right.

I'm glad though that Hitch knows I like what he's doing with the character and I'm excited to see where he takes the character as well as what he's planning

https://mobile.twitter.com/AquamanShrine/status/722168770072981505

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by EcstaticGrace (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ashrym, @Vinomonster, @Comicfan11, @Blackwind, @Raw_Material, @Kcomicfan11, @Chimeroid, @MetalJimmor, @TheExile285, @RisingBean

Apologize if I missed anyone but feel free to jump in and share your thoughts.

#3 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18050 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure what you're wanting us to do with the link is all. I do like Aquaman a lot though.

#4 Posted by EcstaticGrace (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: Link is Hitch saying he has a story planned for Aquaman it's just confirmation that the writer said it is all.

#5 Posted by vinomonster (5564 posts) - - Show Bio

This is not the Rise of the Seven Seas right? Im digging it if its another Aquaman centric story.. if i remember correctly Hitch told in an interview that he wanted to make story arcs on each member of the league.. so I guess this Arc follows up the Rao storyline.

#6 Posted by EcstaticGrace (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: I think it might be more down the line but who knows looking at the solicitation of JL. "An ancient power "rises" to reclaim not just the world but the Universe" "The ocean will rise" Sounds possible. I remember him suggesting that he wanted to do stories that focused on each member of the league. I'm guessing that's why Justice League of America #12 has Hal looking like he'll have the spotlight on the cover because he seems to be absent on the team when Rebirth hits the title.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/justice-league-2016/justice-league-1

I assumed that Johns name would be on a title dealing with Rise of the Seven Seas as well as Ivan Reis. It also seemed like Johns was going to work with Abnett to lead to it or something. No idea I wouldn't mind having Johns do his own event for Aquaman and Hitch doing his own for Aquaman :P

#7 Edited by vinomonster (5564 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he might be getting another Trident

No Caption Provided

#8 Edited by EcstaticGrace (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

@vinomonster: I'd rather they just do something magical offensive wise and cool with his original trident.

Heck I want him to go through an entire arc using all of the Atlantean relics to have to fight against some massive threat.

#9 Posted by vinomonster (5564 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: I don't remember him losing the original kings trident.. What happened to it? Do I miss something? I think this one is totally new?

#10 Edited by EcstaticGrace (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: I don't remember him losing the original kings trident.. What happened to it? Do I miss something? I think this one is totally new?

I'm pretty sure he's still using it. When asked why the trident didn't have 5 prongs anymore Booth while he was the artist said because it's a Trident. So I'm pretty sure he's back to the original just that the design changed. Looking at the art of this I'm assuming it's going back to 5 prongs because of a design change.

I'm thinking there just getting ready to answer what Aquaman's trident "can do" without the whatever I need it to do aspect. At least I hope so.

#11 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really trust Hitch as a writer, but I'm gonna give it a chance. Only hope his next stories are shorter and 8+ issues.

#12 Posted by EcstaticGrace (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: I think that's my only complaint at his writing that he tends to overextend stories linger then need be which a lot of writers sometimes do though.

I'd rather have a 6-8 issue arc and nowhere everything's going by issue 3. If an idea really needs being brought up in the arc just tease, foreshadow or reference it in future stories so you can call back on it.

That being said though I like how Hitch writes Aquaman, if it happens to be Ride of The Seven Seas. I'd like Hitch focusing on Aquaman's characterization, Abnett doing the world building and John's putting it all together and working on the plot so it works.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.