Follow

Aquagirl (Marquez)

Character » Aquagirl (Marquez) appears in 123 issues.

When San Diego was rendered underwater and renamed Sub Diego, Lorena Marquez was one of the survivors that developed the capabilities to breathe underwater. After helping Aquaman, she took up the mantle of Aquagirl. Lorena has served as a member of the Teen Titans.

New Powers

nj06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nj06

I really think that with all of the new attention being brought to the Aqua-family, Lorena needs some kind of power to help her stand out. I know that adding/changing the powers of a character doesn't make them better, but I feel she really needs something that's unique to her. While she was on the Teen Titans, she didn't bring anything to the table as pretty much all of her powers were shared by her teammates. And now with the inclusion of the new Aqualad, I think that Lorena is  just going to be pushed even further to the back. I would have loved for her to be able to manipulate water but since that seems to be Aqualad's thing, it would be redundant if she had the same power (especially since Mera also has that ability). Her telepathy was hinted at in the Titans of Tomorrow storyline but we have still yet to see any of that. I would love for her to inherit Tempest's magical abilities as I feel that would make her a much more interesting character.

Does anyone have any other ideas about which powers should be given to Lorena?

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GT-Man

sweet more
    davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By davidkenneth
    @nj06:
    Flight
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Captain13

The ability to duplicate the properties/abilities of sea creatures like Vixen. One minute she could drop down with the weight of a whale, the next, she could smell blood like a shark. Or magic armor like Armor's from X-Men.

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ChadwickDavis
    @nj06:  
    Well she has exhibited telepathy (not just limited to marine life) in one of the titans tomorrow arcs. Personally I think she should acquire electrokinetic abilities. Can you imagine the damage an "aqua"girl could do with lightning blasts; especially with the "homecourt" advantage? She could even accomplish this by finding one of Trident's lost "weapons." 
    Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Lion_Heart22

I'm not even clear on what her current powers are. How strong is she?? I think telepathy would be an interesting way to go, although mimicry of all sea creatures is very interesting.

cowtron_2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cowtron_2000
    @Captain13 said:
    The ability to duplicate the properties/abilities of sea creatures like Vixen. One minute she could drop down with the weight of a whale, the next, she could smell blood like a shark. Or magic armor like Armor's from X-Men.

Great idea!!!
    Phylos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Phylos

hmm, the mimic idea is pretty good, but it's also good to try and come up with other things.

her sub-mariner physiology is good, but needs a little more umph.

i was thinking something along the lines of having an animal companion, of course not a dolphin or shark. but some type of ocean beast. idea came from the fathom five team, there's a member who can summon serpents from the depth of ocean via telepathy & use them to ride on or cause destruction(dragonrider). but in aquagirl's case, it could just be one & she could develop a telepathic/empathic bond like Gertrude Yorkes & Old Lace.

nj06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nj06

@ChadwickDavis: It looks like the lightning generation power has been given to Aqualad.

It seems that Aquaman, Mera, and Aqualad all have abilities that separate them from each other, and when he was alive, Tempest had his magical abilities to help make him unique. But sadly Lorena doesn't seem to have any. The ability to mimic sea-animal life isn't bad, but what other abilities could she have that make her unique within the Aqua-family?

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ChadwickDavis

@nj06: It looks like the lightning generation power has been given to Aqualad.

He hasn't used it in the comics has he? While I still think she would make full use of lightning far more offensively than aqualad ever would, the only other "unique" powers I think she could possess would be:

1:"aquatic" Psychometry: divining information from aquatic locations or the water in living beings-it would be sort of like traci 13 Urban magic except it only works on aquatic environments or people

2: "Hard Water" Manipulation: aka"Aqua nukes": in the DCoU this could have been a sideeffect of her radiation poisoning to Bombshell, but in the DCnU who knows...has she even shown up yet?

nj06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nj06

@ChadwickDavis: Those are some great ideas for possible additional abilities for Aquagirl.

And yes, Aqualad has used his electricity generation during Brightest Day, which made for some awesome visuals:

Aqualad closes the triangle
    Aqualad closes the triangle
    Jackson electrifies Aquaman'shand
    Jackson electrifies Aquaman'shand
    Electric eyes
    Electric eyes

I do think its an awesome power, and if DC gave Aquagirl that ability I wouldn't be too upset I guess lol.

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ChadwickDavis

@nj06: And yes, Aqualad has used his electricity generation during Brightest Day, which made for some awesome visuals:

I Stand corrected...on both counts. Thank you for that information.

nj06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nj06

@ChadwickDavis: I like the idea of Aquatic psychometry. That would definitely be something that makes her stand out from the rest of the Aqua-family. The hard-water ability is also cool, but I think Mera also has that ability.

And so far I don't think she has appeared in the DCnU. I hope she does make an appearance soon, either in Aquaman or the Teen Titans. I think she is a great character and I would love for her to be given more attention.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlackWind

Does her ability have to be combat related? If so, I can't think of much that'd not be a take on someone else's ability.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By COBRAMORPH

One way to make her stand out is to have her lose her powers & create a power-suit to use underwater like Black Manta or Ocean-master.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.