Follow

Apocalypse

Character » Apocalypse appears in 1782 issues.

One of the very first mutants, Apocalypse is both thousands of years old and a monstrous tyrant that has been a longtime foe of the X-Men. Apocalypse believes that only the strongest (whether mutant or superhuman) should survive. His body is a mix of organics and powerful celestial technology, boosting his shapeshifting and other powers to god-like levels.

X-Men: Apocalypse Post-Credits Scene--What Does it Mean?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

X-Men: Apocalypse is in theaters now. The X-Men faced one of their biggest threats so far with the fate of the world on the line. During the course of the movie, we are introduced and re-introduced to several characters. You can read our spoiler-free review here.

As with most comic book films, there is a scene after the credits. It introduces a new element to the movie universe and is likely to lead into other X-Men-related movies. There will be some spoilers for X-Men: Apocalypse below.

No Caption Provided

While the X-Men had the threat of Apocalypse to worry about, there was another foe to deal with as well--William Stryker. Stryker has appeared in several X-Men films and has a long-running hatred for mutants. In the movie, he captures and transports several X-Men to the Weapon X facility. This is where Wolverine had Adamantium fused to his bones and was turned into a killing machine.

When Jean Grey, Cyclops, and Nightcrawler were trying to rescue the others, Wolverine was set free and killed most of the soldiers in the base. The end credits scene shows the facility is being cleaned up. Bodies are put in body bags and the blood is being mopped clean. A well-dressed man arrives and enters the room where Wolverine was kept. He takes a sample of Wolverine's blood and places it in a briefcase marked "Essex Corp." This left viewers wondering, "What is the Essex Corp?"

Essex is the last name of Mr. Sinister.

No Caption Provided

Mr. Sinister is a longtime foe of the X-Men in the comics. Born in the 1800s, Nathaniel Essex was a biologist in London. He had his group, the Marauders, awaken Apocalypse from one of his regeneration chambers. The two became allies and later enemies. It was Sinister's interest in experimenting on mutants that lead him to create a clone of Jean Grey. This clone and Cyclops would later give birth to the time-traveling mutant, Cable, who was destined to destroy Apocalypse.

It's likely that Cable will appear in the Deadpool sequel, but it's doubtful Mr. Sinister will have anything to do with that movie. What's more likely is Sinister's appearance could lead into the proposed Gambit movie with Channing Tatum.

No Caption Provided

Gambit went to Sinister when his mutant powers started becoming unstable. In return for his help, Sinister had Gambit carry out several tasks and missions for him. One task included leading the Marauders to the underground home of mutants so they could be wiped out.

A connection to Gambit could be likely, but because Wolverine's blood was taken, the scene is more likely leading into the cinematic introduction of X-23.

No Caption Provided

X-23 is a clone of Wolverine. She was created by a top-secret program in an attempt to recreate the Weapon X experiments. Part of the genetic sample was damaged so a female clone was created.

Despite Sinister's knack for dabbling in clones and mutants, he wasn't involved with the creation of X-23. For the sake of the more condensed movie universe, this change could easily be made in order to lead into the next Wolverine movie. This would fit in with an agent of Sinister's taking the sample of blood in the scene.

The end scene is more likely to lead into a spinoff film rather than the next X-Men sequel. Mr. Sinister's origin is likely to change since we've already seen the apparent demise of Apocalypse. Having him involved with the creation of X-23 and possibly a factor in the Gambit movie would make this a good set up. It should be noted that in the comics X-23 has taken up the mantle of Wolverine. This could also be the case in the movies when Hugh Jackman finishes playing the character on the big screen.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I sincerely hope they keep X-23 out of the movies.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice! Cv should make more of this articles...

JwalserV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give up ye hope for Wolverine is not here forver. And so there will be X-23.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recall the end of days of future past mystique was posing as stryker and fished him out of the water...does that mean she pulled a dick move and let him get taken back and experimented on?

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

And I look forward to drinking your tears when she's introduced and replaces Hughverine. Nom nom nom.

As for Sinister, ScreenRant did a pretty in-depth look at how he can connect ALL the upcoming franchises (Wolv3rine, X-Force, New Mutants, Gambit, and whatever the next core film is). That said, I DON'T see Sinister as being a threat on this level. His motives have always been more small-scale and focused on his obsession with evolution, while lacking Apocalypse's global and extremist Darwinism.

Sinister would work best if he's working for someone else.

If they want a major villain to succeed Apocalypse as the lynchpin of the XCU, I think they should look at Selene, and transfer Sinister's origins to her. If they tap into the Necrosha arc she has MASSIVE power potential, and would certainly constitute a global-scale threat. She also has connections to X-Force, New Mutants, and the core team, and her methods often involve moving events from the background.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's a dull spin-off with little to no originality to her. There's much better characters to put the spotlight on.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I really like that Sinister made an appearance. One of my favourite bad guys. It'd be a tad disappointing if he focuses more on Wolverine/X-23 than Cyclops and Jean (the way he did in the comics), but I guess that's indicative of which characters are more popular at the moment.

All the cool X-Men movie stuff makes me wish I actually liked the X-Men movies.

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Okay. I was wondering what that scene was supposed to mean. My guess was X-23 with them taking the blood, but I didn't get the rest of it. I feel kinda stupid now for not knowing it was referencing Sinister.

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Mat, Corey, is it just a coincidence that Cody Rhodes leaves the WWE and a week later the possibility of Mr Sinister in the movies just happens to come out?

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heard this movie is TRASH! Looking forward to not seeing it.

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

Didnt Tatum bailed out of the Gambit movie, making it improbable for the movie to be made?

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didnt Tatum bailed out of the Gambit movie, making it improbable for the movie to be made?

Nope, he's still attached and is moving again.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

She's a dull spin-off with little to no originality to her. There's much better characters to put the spotlight on.

That's flat out bullshit though.

LemmyCaution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinister is one of my least favorite villains. His powers are even more nebulous than Apocalypse, and considering how powerful he is, it makes little sense that the X-Teams ever defeat him. I hope they change him completely if he's involved.

DrOdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stellar421: Actually it's the best solution to who the next wolverine would be. If you have a guy they would compare to Jackman, but with a female character sky's the limit. Plus you can tie in to Gambit with sinister.

JMO

AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlbedoSnake

@kevinwalsh: I loved the movie when I saw it today. It wasn't as "intelligent" as The Winter Soldier, but it delivered on the promise of a "comic book come to life" better than any other super hero movie I've ever seen before. Watching that movie was just like reading 15 X-Men comics back to back--and just as convoluted--and I loved it.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mooty_Pass  Online

Hmm interesting.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cave_Duck

@w0nd said:

I recall the end of days of future past mystique was posing as stryker and fished him out of the water...does that mean she pulled a dick move and let him get taken back and experimented on?

The way I think it went was Mystique fished Logan out of the water and let him go. Then the real Stryker found out what she'd done while copying him and decided to track down Logan to see what made him so special to deserve the rescue.

Then kidnapped and Weapon-X'ed him.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ducey13

@w0nd said:

That was one of the MANY reasons why I didn't like DOFP. That scene was dumb and didn't make any sense.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@w0nd said:

I have the same question......someone answer this please.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

torzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That movie was terrible, it followed the same "big battle at the end of the movie theme" like Fantastic Four.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Didn't Bryan Cranston say in an interview he would like to play Mr Sinister in a movie?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

it means fox is going to make another bore-men movie.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

X-23 please

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll probably use this opportunity to make X-23, Daken, or Sabretooth, as well.

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll probably use this opportunity to make X-23, Daken, or Sabretooth, as well.

Supposedly Liev Schriber is in talks to return as Creed. At least one of the casting calls that has been published online outright lists him as a member of the cast.

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevinwalsh: How about you make up your own mind and form your own opinion? It might surprise you (movie was spectacular).

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@torzone: Completely not true, the battle was only an introduction to the real formation of the X-Men. Not to mention everysuperhero movie has a "big battle at the end of the movie theme". And PLEASE do not group X-Men Apocalypse with that Fantastic Four nightmare, there's not a single similarity.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the scene.

ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

finally a Mr.SInister on the films!!

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

anyone else notice the tube of green blood? Sauron maybe?

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i thought the next movie was about jean grey becoming phoenix with space aliens

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Hope will show a Sinister obsessed with the Summers/Grey bloodline. Always felt Havok was underutilized in these films. Disappointed that he was apparently killed off.

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America Civil War>Batman Vs. Superman>X-Men Apocalypse

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Yep. Sinister is gonna make X-23.

soarlozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone that thinks this was terrible hasn't seen many comic based movies.

I am a huge 90s x men cartoon fan and while I was disappointed by this movie, it was easily still a 7-8.

Quicksilver again comes through with one scene alone that easily makes it worth seeing and better than at least 50% of the comic book movies. And I don't even like the QS in Xmen nor Avenger movies.

O-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By O-Face

@apg103 said:

Captain America Civil War>Batman Vs. Superman>X-Men Apocalypse

Wrong. CW>>X:A>>>BvS.

Hulkbuster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should put Apocalypse in the next movie. I mean magneto is on good terms with the X-Men at the end of the movie, Apocalypse is one of their biggest bad guys and he does have a habit of coming back to life more than most people, he is a master mind with tons of plans hence him coming back when it seems like he's gone, Nathaniel Essex was made into Sinister because of Apocalypse and the two have worked together multiple times in the comics. While this Apocalypse was good some people including me have found him to be a little lacking and he switches bodies in the movie which would work well if they wanted to change him a little. They could call it X-Men End of Days or something where Sinister could have a small rivalry with Magneto, Wolverine could be one Apocalypse's Horsemen of War or Death cause in the comics he's often been brainwashed or controlled by someone and we've yet to see that, and they could tie in Cable so he could later be put into the next Deadpool movie. Sinister could also be the one who cloned Wolverine and make X-23, cause it's said that the next Wolverine movie takes place in the future of days of future's past so it could tie her in the 3rd Wolverine.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.