gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Scott Lang is trying to figure out his place in the world. Despite his successes as an Avenger or a member of the Future Foundation, that just doesn’t translate into a steady income. With his daughter Cassie back (now living in Miami with her mom), Scott Lang is desperate to find a way to earn a living and be part of her life. But how desperate is he?

Nick Spencer does a fantastic job in showing the human side of Scott Lang. Who would have thought that an interview for a bank loan could be so exciting. Of course, given Lang’s luck, it’s no surprise when events start to go in a different direction. One would think one of the hardest parts in making an Ant-Man series work is coming up with credible and interesting fight scenes. Spencer has no problem with that here. With a new member added to the supporting cast, you can't help but smile when thinking about where things can go from here.

Ramon Rosanas' art and Jordan Boyd's colors look really good. There's a mix of action scenes and ones where Scott is simply having conversations. At no point do you feel the pacing slow down. The entire creative team is carving out a new corner in the Marvel Universe and it's looking really good.

The Bad

With this being the second issue, it's clear there is still some world building going on as Scott Lang is adjusting to a new city. We don't have a huge nemesis here for Ant-Man to face but that's okay. Hopefully we'll also see more of the relationship between Scott and Cassie fleshed out, to find out more of her current state. In these past two issues, it's pretty much been limited to just talking on the streets for the most part.

The Verdict

Ant-Man may be a small hero but this book is showing he has a big heart. Scott Lang has been around for some time now but Nick Spencer is really shaping him up in a new town with a new mission in a great way. It's clear you can't be too sure what to expect in this series. Ramon Rosanas and Jordan Boyd's art and color gives the book a really nice and different feel from the average Marvel book. Don't let this book slip past you.

Kwijiboh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kwijiboh

Haven't read this issue yet. I picked up the first one but didn't add it to my pull. I think when I go pick this issue up I'll end up adding it.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

A bear and an ant working together for a security business? I love this book so much.

chamber-music

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chamber-music

I can see long term fans of Scott Lang a little annoyed by Lang being written.

Lang's electrical engineering qualification and former company Electrolang, Inc got ignored in favour of him being portrayed as more of a life longer slacker looking to take the easy route.

I personally like this portrayal of Lang as more a everyman rather trying to make him into another genius type like some writers have tried to do with him in the past.

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read this issue yet, but from #1 I got a real Superior Foes mixed with Hawkeye vibe. Anyone else? I actually really enjoyed it, and I probably will pick this up when I go Saturday to my LCS. Problem is, wasn't issue #1 $5 ? Unless I'm thinking of a different book. Anyways, if it was $5, I won't get this issue if its the same.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

Professorreid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this book! Spencer's writing is amazing and incredibly entertaining. Can't wait until the next issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@iamnotgroot: Now that I've gotten the chance to read Superior Foes (which I didn't like as much as I hoped I would), I'll agree that the tone is pretty much the same. And yes, issue 1 was 5 dollars, but that's because it was oversized.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@humanrocket: This book makes me so happy; love seeing Grizzley

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another great issue. This is already shaping up to be one of Marvel's best current books.

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Really? I loved Superior Foes. I only read the first trade, but it was so good!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamnotgroot: I think it was because I heard so much good about it, so I set my expectations too high.

Avatar image for unpopularkarama
    unpopularkarama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still, no Darla Deering? C'mon Marvel!

powerflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So let me get this straight: Grizzly and Scott are now teamed up as partners to be security guards? Is that what happened?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#15  Edited By Teerack

With Taskmaster showing up in the end it would be pretty funny to me if everyone just kept not liking Scott because they thought he was O'Grady. haha.

Still no Darla :(

@powerflux said:

So let me get this straight: Grizzly and Scott are now teamed up as partners to be security guards? Is that what happened?

Well Grizzly works for Scott so not like partners, but yeah pretty much.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm in, I expected this next issue to be more of setting up shop. I like the tone, I like the direction and so, I like it. Still not clear on Cassie. I'm guessing when Doom fixed his mistake, that included everything that came with, but it seems like Cassie has no memory of the Young Avengers, which makes me sad.

powerflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I see. Interesting. Also, Taskmaster was in this? I thought he died in secret avengers?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerflux: Well actually he was just brain dead in Secret Avengers. They haven't explained how he was fixed. I would think maybe AIM did it since they had his comatose body.

powerflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Ah, I see. The post I read about Secret avengers said he was shot dead. What happened in his appearance here? (I'm broke so I can't get the comic for myself)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Teerack
    @powerflux said:

@teerack: Ah, I see. The post I read about Secret avengers said he was shot dead. What happened in his appearance here? (I'm broke so I can't get the comic for myself)

He just showed up on the last page.

Anty-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see long term fans of Scott Lang a little annoyed by Lang being written.

Lang's electrical engineering qualification and former company Electrolang, Inc got ignored in favour of him being portrayed as more of a life longer slacker looking to take the easy route.

I personally like this portrayal of Lang as more a everyman rather trying to make him into another genius type like some writers have tried to do with him in the past.

he's an "everyman" personality-wise. but I'd say that Scott retains his intelligence. he's still an infiltration/security expert. and he hadn't been fleshed out enough to say that he doesn't have a history of being a slacker. in fact, I could use specific instances from his old appearances to back Spencer's play. look at the story G.A.R.D.S Gauntlet. Scott, in his job as a stark employee, is tasked with working out the bugs in an advanced security system. the entire building is evacuated so he could do his thing. Scott, instead, reprograms G.A.R.D to play video games. or how about the Raiders Rampage story (coincidentally, this is the only other appearance of Augustine Cross)? Scott is manning a booth at the Stark Expo. Tony makes a surprise visit and scott is munching popcorn; watching videos instead of talking to interested expo attendees. or that time he helped Hawkeye out at Carson's Carnival. the easy route he took in that one was to pay some ferris wheel engineer to keep the wheel going; to occupy Cassie while he fought the Taskmaster. these are all David Micheline written Scott Lang stories. he's his creator. Scott's plenty smart. but he's also extremely human.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.