Follow

Ant-Man

Movie » Ant-Man released on July 17, 2015.

A Marvel Studios film, and the first live-action adaptation of Ant-Man, starring Paul Rudd, and Michael Douglas.

4 Things That Made Marvel's Ant-Man Movie Awesome

• 59 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Over the weekend, the final movie of Phase 2 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe came out, Ant-Man. While there's been a plethora of reviews that have come out that have been overly positive for the film, which many people were thinking was going to be Marvel's first "flop," there's one thing people aren't discussing, and that's the fact Ant-Man, as a movie, is two hours of insanity.

While still sticking with the Marvel formula of film-making, Ant-Man actually breaks away from the pack by delivering something very different from what we've seen in the past few years, much like how James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy embraced humor to get people excited about super-heroes in space, Ant-Man uses humor to bring a character that never should have made it to the big screen to life.

What makes this film so different from the rest of Marvel's films? We're breaking down a few of the highlights of Ant-Man that made it one of the weirdest and most interesting MCU films we've seen in quite some time.

Warning: There's minor spoilers for the film here. We're not giving away the end credit scenes but we are getting into some specific elements of the film as a whole.

It's a Heist Film, Not a Super-hero Film

No Caption Provided

Ant-Man is the Ocean's Eleven of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While there is an element of the film where the hero has to stop the bad guy before he somehow ends up destroying the world through his own nefarious means, this movie is really about a guy who steals a suit that is hired to steal another suit.

The majority of the film revolves around training, which in turn is actually planning for the big heist, set for the third act. It's an origin film with a twist to it, and frankly, it's a breath of fresh air. While Ant-Man wasn't the strongest of Marvel's films, the formula can feel stale at times, so adding a bit of a genre mix to it makes it a stronger film, much in the same way Captain America: The Winter Soldier is one of the top dogs because it's just as much an espionage film.

Alongside the heist is more of an ensemble cast that each play their important role within the film. As much as this film is about Scott Lang trying to redeem himself in the eyes of his daughter, it's also about a group of people using their specific set of skills to achieve a larger objective, which is a great part of many, but not all, heist films.

Hank Pym is a Mad Scientist

No Caption Provided

There's one thing we're not seeing a lot of people talk about, when it comes to Ant-Man and that's the fact that Hank Pym is downright insane and obsessive. On the surface, much like Scott Lang's journey, Hank's story is about redeeming himself in the eye's of his daughter. However, there's a lot more to this character...

Hank Pym has created a suit that enables a user to shrink. He's created some cool technology alongside it and he's even created shrinking suits that can fly. So why does Hank Pym need all these ants? Because Hank Pym has lost his mind. Think about every scene in this movie. There's ants, everywhere. Hank Pym has ants in his house, in his basement, in his yards, and possibly ants in his pants. Joking aside, why?

Why would Hank Pym want to control flying ants if he already has the tech which can fly Ant-Man around? There is mention, a few times throughout the film, that Pym Particles mess up your brain chemistry. Because Hank wore the suit for so long and was around the particles so much, he's gone a bit wacky. His obsession with ants has taken over his life and he's really into trying to pass on that obsession to Scott. Hank becomes incredibly intriguing as the movie progresses and something the audience cannot take their eye off of as he walks the line between genius and mad scientist.

Luis, Scott's Cell-Mate/Wine-Lover

No Caption Provided

A staple for Marvel's films has been the comedic side of it all. Yes, the idea of super-heroes flying around the world, in crazy suits, fighting bad guys in equally crazy suits is a wacky idea, but Marvel really has a great tongue-in-cheek approach to it all by adding quick one-liners here and there, which creates a great connection between the audience and the film.

Ant-Man went almost to the point of over-the-top with the comedy but while the juxtaposing giant battles in a small world seemed to be the comedic highlight of the film, the real star of the show was Michael Peña, who played Luis, Scott Lang's closest friend and ex-cellmate in prison.

Luis, who went to jail for stealing two smoothie machines, is the heart of the film. He's the character that keeps scenes moving and he's a actually a complex character that isn't just a comedic relief... from the comedic film. At first, he comes off like an idiotic ex-con who seems like someone who would never be friends with Scott. However, as the movie progresses, he becomes an integral part of this team as he's incredibly intelligent, cultured, but just a tad socially awkward. Every moment with him is memorable, but none more memorable than the time Luis told Scott about his friend who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a girl, who cleans this place, that has a safe.

After seeing this film with a group of friends, every single one of us said "When does Luis get a solo film?" Marvel, get on that.

Marvel's First Mid-Level Hero

No Caption Provided

The Avengers take on the largest threats on Earth and beat it down with the assembled justice. They are the only people that can handle those sorts of problems. On the flip side, Daredevil takes on the low-level thugs. Ant-Man isn't on the Avengers level (although he'll be in the thick of it in Captain America: Civil War) and he's above Daredevil's level, so where does he fit in?

With the introduction of Ant-Man comes a whole new level of superhero, one that isn't front page of the paper, but also one that isn't beating down petty-thieves. Ant-Man is truly Marvel's first mid-level hero. Phase three of Marvel could introduce more heroes of this level with maybe Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, and Black Panther, but that's just speculation. More than likely these may be Avengers level heroes.

Ant-Man and his crew are more taking down corporate felons more than anything else. They stop the problem before it really even starts, but these problems tend to be on a much smaller scale, not pun intended.... actually, yes, pun intended. That's what sets it apart from the rest of the Marvel films. It has nothing to do with super-power sets but merely the threats he's taking on. Sure, Hawkeye and Black Widow are powerless heroes, but they're taking on Ultron. Ant-Man is taking on a crazy Darren Cross while riding a train set. There's a big difference there and something we haven't seen in Marvel yet.

Those are some of our favorite things about the recent Ant-Man film. If you saw it let us know what you thought and what your favorite moments are.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

First mid-level hero? Whats Hawkeye and Black Widow then?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#2 inferiorego  Staff

They're on the Avengers

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Titanbreaker

Ant-Man is truly Marvel's first mid-level hero. Phase three of Marvel could introduce more heroes of this level with maybe Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, and Black Panther, but that's just speculation.

Sorry but unless Captain Marvel, Strange and Panther all take a power dive none of them should be mid level if people like Hawkeye and Black Widow are considered high.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

They're on the Avengers

So was Jarvis. :)

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By buttersdaman000

@outside_85 said:

They're on the Avengers

But they're street levelers still....

Billy_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: The point is that they've contributed to stopping two full scale world domination attempts so far. That takes it a little step up from stopping purse snatchers and mobsters.

Avatar image for darthdestructor
    DarthDestructor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego said:
    @outside_85 said:

They're on the Avengers

He referring to the threats they face rather than their individaul power level.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By DrellAssassin

Really enjoyed the film; Luis was such a nice surprise. Btw can we agree Hank Pym had the best keychain ever?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: The point is that they've contributed to stopping two full scale world domination attempts so far. That takes it a little step up from stopping purse snatchers and mobsters.

Doesn't mean they're not street levelers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Outside_85

@dondave said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:
    @inferiorego said:
    @outside_85 said:

They're on the Avengers

By that line of logic Booster Gold and Blue Beetle (Ted) is a heavy-weight in DC for having their faces punched in by Doomsday.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:
    @inferiorego said:
    @outside_85 said:

They're on the Avengers

So when everybody bands together to face Thanos in Infinity War, will everybody be high tier?

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I thought Scott got pretty chatty and awkward like Luis a few times. I agree that Luis really made the movie. I think he'll be the top favorite character from this movie for some viewers.

My sister thought I was being weird and gross for suggesting that Hank and Hope carry ants on their persons just in case. So I'm glad to see the "ants in his pants" statement. But I think Hank has a good reason not to use flying tech. It could remind him of Janet. It's also not his style.

I enjoyed the movie and want to see more of Ant-Man and his associates. I think months later, I will be anxious for the DVD to buy and see again.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Really enjoyed Ant-Man excited to see how it holds up on repeated viewings, I am also interested to see Ant-man interact with Captain America and the other Avengers.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pelykan

Strange mid level? Isn't he powerfull enough to blow up the planet if he'd choose to?

And Black Panther is a beast who has the same or better resources as the Avengers.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I'm glad people are enjoying Ant-Man. He deserves accolades. I just wish the Hulk would get a little more success rather than moderate.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:
    @inferiorego said:
    @outside_85 said:

They're on the Avengers

So when everybody bands together to face Thanos in Infinity War, will everybody be high tier?

@dondave said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:
    @inferiorego said:
    @outside_85 said:

They're on the Avengers

By that line of logic Booster Gold and Blue Beetle (Ted) is a heavy-weight in DC for having their faces punched in by Doomsday.

I didn't say I agree with that logic, just clarifying his remarks.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: And I am just pointing out the flaw of the logic :)

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only point I agree with here is the Hank Pym thing. The heisting in this movie was only, like, a quarter of the movie, stuffed in with the crummy climax, and they really just went halfsies on it when Yellowjacket discovers that Scott infiltrated the building with little to no good reason for it.

Honestly it just felt weak to me. The Hank Pym part was really interesting, actually, now that I reflect on it, but that could also not be the reason for keeping ants around the house. It's basically having a million tiny butlers around the house.

Luis' character was hilarious... And that's it. I can't really come up with any other personality trait for him.

I don't really see how Ant-Man being a mid level hero made him 'awesome'. And it could be argued that he was high-tier. People can't hit what they can't see, unlike Falcon and his lame goggles.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I will watch it when it releases on DVD
    ~MiB

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I love this movie beyond all possible expectations. I'm still surprised that this movie was able to be so accurate to the spirit of the character/characters while doing a lot to switch up what actually goes on in the plot. Every inch of this movie is dripping with inspiration.

Moufino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kevin Feige said that Captain Marvel was to be one of the most powerful MCU heroes, so I doubt she will be 'mid-level'

ikon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ikon321

Ant-Man worked great as a film, much to my surprise. The Avengers films lose a lot of story quality because of so many characters and the non-stop action. Ant-Man gave us a character that we could feel for and empathize with. It's one of the better Marvel films.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed the film; Luis was such a nice surprise. Btw can we agree Hank Pym had the best keychain ever?

Except that keychain was the biggest plothole in the movie. If shrunk people/items retain their density (as Scott showed when he fell out of the bathtub and broke the tile) then that tank would weigh as much shrunk as it would at full size.

That was my only gripe about the whole movie.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this movie, and I gotta agree that every scene Luis appeared was amazing, especially when he tells Scott about the guy, who knows a guy, who knows a girl, who knows a house that has a safe.......that part almost made me chuckle in laughter, and the last part as well, which had the Stan Lee cameo and the Spider-Man mention.

josephE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wait till ant man can become gigantic man and he is paired with the wasp. It will change his whole dynamic of what super hero tier ant man is on.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I have a new favorite Stan Lee cameo.

"Yeah, crazy-stupid fine."

MMPReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MMPReptar

I feel like there are people commenting who didn't read the article.

"With the introduction of Ant-Man comes a whole new level of superhero, one that isn't front page of the paper, but also one that isn't beating down petty-thieves. Ant-Man is truly Marvel's first mid-level hero."

"Sure, Hawkeye and Black Widow are powerless heroes, but they're taking on Ultron. Ant-Man is taking on a crazy Darren Cross while riding a train set. There's a big difference there and something we haven't seen in Marvel yet."

Hawkeye and Widow would be in papers worldwide, Daredevil would mainly local papers, Ant-Man would probably not even grace the front page.

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite parts of the movie were probably just how well they captured the feeling of scott lang. He comes across as very approachable and understandable and more like a real person than any other marvel hero thus far. Not that I don't love all the other marvel heroes, its just none of them seem as much like my friends, family, or coworkers as much as scott is in this. Makes the whole universe feel more realistic.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I like Widow and Hawkeye, they don't belong in the Avengers. Because of how weak they are, the villains are also made to be weak. I don't care how skilled they are, no way should they be taking down aliens and robots with ease.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the movie so much I'm buying it on Blu-Ray the instant it's released.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear all this great stuff, going this weekend to see it, hopefully. (Looked at the taglines, avoided the spoilers lol) Glad to see the little guys get some love!! Hurray for the little guys!!

T_Urb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Michael Peña. Genius directing showing scenes, with his voice over past 'I know a guy' events. The visual effects in computer room, water pipe, and toy set were fantastic.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Pretty cool movie. Ant-Man is a third rate hero but he's a great one no matter what character assumes the mantle.

eliottsworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By eliottsworld

If there's an Antman 2, Luis will totally get more screen time. Michael Pena lights up the screen.

Another thing that makes this movie stand out, is the very little amount of locations. It takes place at hank's house, pym technologies, and scott's daughter's house. Thise locations make up a very large majority of the film. This wasn't a globe-trotting adventure, and this film benefitted from the smaller scale (pardon the pun).

MultipleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the movie but it didn't really seem like much of a heist. It pretty much turned into obadiah stane vs iron man at the end.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin said:

Except that keychain was the biggest plothole in the movie. If shrunk people/items retain their density (as Scott showed when he fell out of the bathtub and broke the tile) then that tank would weigh as much shrunk as it would at full size.

That was my only gripe about the whole movie.

By that logic nothing in the movie works with Ant Man ever. He's probably 200 pounds in the suit, so there's no way he could stand on someones shoulder without knocking them over, or sit on an ant without completely crushing it.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RisingBean

@alkusanagi: Indeed. It's the one plot hole that creased my forehead. They probably either should have ignored that line truth be told. Still didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of the film.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite parts of the movie were probably just how well they captured the feeling of scott lang. He comes across as very approachable and understandable and more like a real person than any other marvel hero thus far. Not that I don't love all the other marvel heroes, its just none of them seem as much like my friends, family, or coworkers as much as scott is in this. Makes the whole universe feel more realistic.

I loved this aspect: it makes me appreciate family more.

And about Pym being a mad scientist, he wasn't necessarily one, yes maybe the Pym particles altered his brain somewhat, but I think the better term is paranoia.His wife died on his watch, who couldn't be more traumatized than that? A little push and I could guarantee Pym turning into a mad scientist.

SlyCotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SlyCotto

Not enough has been said about the young actress that played his daughter...

I swear, she stole every scene she was in!
    Cute kid... not obnoxious like kids in too many movies.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#44  Edited By Teerack

The reason people aren't talking about Hank Pym being a mad scientist is because he wasn't. That's just some hard core projecting on your part. Hank uses ants because they are a useful tool.. he doesn't name them or have any attachment to them like Scott does. He even tells Scott they are just ants at one point and cant do much without someone to lead them. He just sees them as a tool. I think you need to watch the movie again and not go into with the idea that Hank is going to be insane and then just made up a really weak explanation for why he is insane after wards. xD

He was a genius who spent his life making sure his technology didn't fall into the hands of people that would miss use it... that's literally the opposite of a mad scientist that's a responsible scientist.

CyanidePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CyanidePie

This was not a heist movie, it was an Iron Man movie if Iron Man was called Ant-Man. Industrial corporatist bad guy wants tech that was created by someone else because he's E-ville. Marvel said it was a heist movie, and had it actually been Ocean's Eleven instead of the movie we got, it would have been much better for it.

Marvel's inability to create an interesting villain is reaching epically hilarious proportions. At this point I have to assume that they just don't care. They made Ultron terrifying in the trailers and then when the movie started we just listened to Red from the Blacklist James Spader all over the place. The Mandarin was scary as hell in the first half of IM3 until the travesty that was that ending. When Wilson Fisk is your most compelling villain, you've got a problem.

All the fight scenes were really cool and the visuals were great, but then it just become formulaic and tired at the end. Also, what was the thing that Ant-Man stole from the Avengers compound? It was never explained why they needed it, what it was, or what it allowed them to do. Was it just a plot device to connect this movie to The Avengers?

SpiderAidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else catch that Spider Man Easter egg?

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was not a heist movie, it was an Iron Man movie if Iron Man was called Ant-Man. Industrial corporatist bad guy wants tech that was created by someone else because he's E-ville. Marvel said it was a heist movie, and had it actually been Ocean's Eleven instead of the movie we got, it would have been much better for it.

Marvel's inability to create an interesting villain is reaching epically hilarious proportions. At this point I have to assume that they just don't care. They made Ultron terrifying in the trailers and then when the movie started we just listened to Red from the Blacklist James Spader all over the place. The Mandarin was scary as hell in the first half of IM3 until the travesty that was that ending. When Wilson Fisk is your most compelling villain, you've got a problem.

All the fight scenes were really cool and the visuals were great, but then it just become formulaic and tired at the end. Also, what was the thing that Ant-Man stole from the Avengers compound? It was never explained why they needed it, what it was, or what it allowed them to do. Was it just a plot device to connect this movie to The Avengers?

Everyone has such a problem with their villains.

This isn't DC where the villains are actually the draw and the most interesting part. They have a Suicide Squad movie - full of villains - that's coming out before the some of the biggest heroes are even introduced in the DCCU.

What if Marvel wants their heroes to be the focus? What if you're no meant to seek out the Ronan the Accuser costume but the Drax one?

Also, remember: when Civil War comes along you are gonna have either Stark or Rogers as the villain (depending on their approach/your leaning). In that case I would say they couldn't have done a better job setting up the two sides of the conflict.

And then there's Thanos. What if Thanos is supposed to be that super cool villain that everyone will love and love to hate? In that case, why put energy into making Abomination and Whiplash deep? Let them be fodder to keep everything moving until the real showdown.

Just some thoughts, but having the heroes be the focus is actually a possible strategy, not just a shortcoming with their treatment of villians.

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I kind of have to agree with the WTF responses to some of this. Ant-Man is definitely not Marvel's first mid tier hero. If anything, that is Captain America. He is definitely not on the level of Hulk and Thor but can hang in those levels for a little bit. At the same time he is quite at home in the realm of soldier/spy and while his low superhuman/peak human abilities give him an edge, it never seems like overkill.

A case can be argued that Iron Man fits that bill as well because, while his tech gives him a a significant edge and allows him to compete with the likes of Hulk and Thor (and of course, its RDJ), at the end of the day he is still just a man in a suit, and he has to 'plus up' to play in the same arena for an extended period of time (in Avengers this was shown by Thor inadvertently charging him to 400% capacity, and in Avengers 2, this is the Hulk Buster armor). Still as was shown in his own movies, individually he still operates on a more localized scale.

Despite being on the Avengers, Black Widow, Hawkeye and now Falcon are not in Cap's league. Not even close and therefore could not even really be called mid-tier. Skilled, yes, with nice little bags of tricks, but still street levelers. When added to the might of the Avengers they are formidable, but let's be real, they are not taking on Ultron, they are just along for the ride.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew most of y'all were going to take the mid level comment the wrong way

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the whole pacing of the movie was great ...also the training and the planning of the mission was great, also the supporting cast was excellent and the humor in the film was really done well...it was better than I expected

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.