Follow

Animal Man

Character » Animal Man appears in 756 issues.

As a happy-go-lucky hero and devoted family man, Buddy Baker can mimic the powers of any animal on Earth and beyond. His powers come from a connection with the morphogenetic field of Earth, also known as the Life Web or the Red.

Why is Animal Man written like a sad pushover?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kallarkz

I totally understand that he is no Superman or Flash (even though I read somewhere that he was able to stand up to Superman one time) but how is it possible that is his last book a dozen birds literally took him down. Even non-superheroes like Daredevil and Batman could have stopped a flock of birds.

I don't expect a guy from San Diego with Animal powers to take on Kryptonians but can he at least defeat most "animals".

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Kallarkz

/bump. just trying to get some opinions

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Kallarkz: Have ever read Animal Man before the new 52? The concept behind him is that he's not really a super hero but just a regular family man that happens to have powers

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By SoA

i like animal man more than other animal based heroes like , vixen or beast boy . along with plastic man and captain marvel , animal is very underrated

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ImperiousRix

I personally love the new Animal Man series, and don't see him as a 'sad pushover'. He's just a regular guy with animal powers who used them to fight crime for a while. In the first issue of his New 52, it even says he's not been doing the hero thing very much anymore. He's more concerned about animal rights and being a father and a husband now.

If you want a hero who is going to be able to punch down a skyscraper or who can take down a group of trained assassins, then go read Superman or one of the twenty Bat books. Animal Man isn't that type of book. It's much closer to a horror title about a guy who is trying to protect his family, and he just SO HAPPENS to also have animal powers.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kallarkz

@spiderbat87 said:

@Kallarkz: Have ever read Animal Man before the new 52? The concept behind him is that he's not really a super hero but just a regular family man that happens to have powers

So Animal Man was always susceptible to bird attacks? No. Have you read Animal before the new 52? Don't really recall that event occurring.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kallarkz

@ImperiousRix said:

I personally love the new Animal Man series, and don't see him as a 'sad pushover'. He's just a regular guy with animal powers who used them to fight crime for a while. In the first issue of his New 52, it even says he's not been doing the hero thing very much anymore. He's more concerned about animal rights and being a father and a husband now.

If you want a hero who is going to be able to punch down a skyscraper or who can take down a group of trained assassins, then go read Superman or one of the twenty Bat books. Animal Man isn't that type of book. It's much closer to a horror title about a guy who is trying to protect his family, and he just SO HAPPENS to also have animal powers.

I'm fairly sure in the OP i wrote that I don't expect him to be anywhere near Superman levels....just checked I did.

I'm referring to the event in his last book where birds too him out.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Kallarkz: If you don't like the book don't read it

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kallarkz

@spiderbat87 said:

@Kallarkz: If you don't like the book don't read it

Lemme check where I wrote that overall I don't like this book... hold on....

If you can't stay on topic stop posting in this thread =].

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ImperiousRix

@Kallarkz:

I wasn't trying to be snarky or jerky or anything, I was simply stating the obvious. You also mentioned you don't expect him to be as powerful as "The Flash", a guy who would often have trouble taking down a guy who throws boomerangs (not meant to be a shot at Digger, because I love him, but still)...

All I'm saying is that Animal Man isn't that type of superhero. And weren't the birds who took him down (correct me if I'm wrong, as I've yet to reach the latest issue) agents of The Rot? I assume they weren't just an angry group of pigeons who decided they weren't taking Buddy's guff. They were a malignant evil force.

If I'm not correct, then feel free to ignore what I said. My point is this, though... I think you're looking at this series all wrong. You don't seem to get that Buddy getting taken out by birds is not lame, because it fits with the theme of the book.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kallarkz

@ImperiousRix said:

@Kallarkz:

I wasn't trying to be snarky or jerky or anything, I was simply stating the obvious. You also mentioned you don't expect him to be as powerful as "The Flash", a guy who would often have trouble taking down a guy who throws boomerangs (not meant to be a shot at Digger, because I love him, but still)...

All I'm saying is that Animal Man isn't that type of superhero. And weren't the birds who took him down (correct me if I'm wrong, as I've yet to reach the latest issue) agents of The Rot? I assume they weren't just an angry group of pigeons who decided they weren't taking Buddy's guff. They were a malignant evil force.

If I'm not correct, then feel free to ignore what I said. My point is this, though... I think you're looking at this series all wrong. You don't seem to get that Buddy getting taken out by birds is not lame, because it fits with the theme of the book.

eh. I can agree with some of your points there.

Getting into a book like Animal Man has been something different for me...maybe I should avoid comparing him so much to others.

Gordon Kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13  Edited By Gordon Kelly

I enjoy reading Animal Man series like the old stuff and the new 52 DC Comics and the relanch of Animal Man. Animal Man will meet Swamp Thing in issue #11 to fight off the rot and also will be seen in the Annual in May.

Animal Man is a awsome superhero with all the powers of every animal.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.