gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Angela's always been a fascinating character despite the fact we didn't know too much about her. When she first debuted (at another publisher), she showed us she could easily take on an extremely powerful opponent. In the pages of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, we saw more of the same. We didn't know who Angela was until the THOR & LOKI: THE TENTH REALM issues of Original Sin.

We join the story, already in progress. Angela is on some sort of mission carrying something wrapped up. We immediately see how much respect she commands from those she encounters but soon finds she's been followed after meeting up with an old acquaintance. Because Angela is out to protect her friend and complete whatever her mission might be, that means we get to see her in action.

If you're familiar with Phil Jimenez's art, you have an idea what to expect. Despite being a scantily clad character, Jimenez's art makes you appreciate what a formidable fighter Angela is. Seeing her cut loose is pretty great. To mix it up a little, we also get some flashback art by Stephanie Hans which fills us in on more of the story. Normally I'm against multiple artists in the same issue but it works here.

What fascinates me about this story is we know it's rooted in the Marvel Universe but it also has its own separate feel. It isn't until a bombshell is dropped at the end that we start to see some of the bigger puzzle pieces fit together. That page, you'll know which one I'm talking about, is enough to make you stop in awe. Just seeing where this will go will make you salivate for the next issue.

The Bad

I've grown used to it but I was never a fan of the bikini-warrior look. It's part of who she is and I'm sure there's some that like it. Just as we've seen Red Sonja change up her outfit from time to time, it would be nice to see Angela change her wardrobe sometime. You do have to wonder where she gets such a big belt.

There is a lot of exposition, especially in the beginning. It is important for new and old readers to understand where she's coming from but it felt a little too much.

You might want to go back and re-read the issue once you see the big reveal in what Angela is doing here and who she's up against. Not knowing what her mission is can add some mystery and intrigue to the story but it also makes you feel like you're in the dark.

The Verdict

I was excited for this book but didn't realize how excited I was until I started reading it. Regardless of how much you know about Angela before this issue or before she came to the Marvel Universe, you'll gain an appreciation for who she is and what she can do. Thanks to Kieron Gillen and Marguerite Bennett, we get a great sense of her character and what makes her who she is. The art in the main story by Phil Jimenez and the flashback art by Stephanie Hans will knock your socks off. If you're not wearing socks, maybe you should put some on before reading the issue. If you're wondering whether or not to add this series to your pull list, just stop and add it already.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Even though I haven't been keeping up with this side of Marvel I decided to pick it up anyways, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By NimaMindTricks

If I have to go back and read multiple issues to fully comprehend what's going on in this one, I may just wait for the TPB - which would likely include those issues as well (I hope).

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

So apparently Thor isn't the heir to Asgard anymore? Very interesting.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@nimamindtricks: That's not what I meant. She's on a mission. She's carrying something. Once you see what, it kinda opens your eyes. So then you'll want to go back just to see it again, knowing what she has.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Ah ok brother. I'll check it out in that case!

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Angela costume is very Image Comics 1990's which something I don't like. Hope Marvel change her costume

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I really enjoy this issue.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very well-put together issue. Her cloth whip "tails" are interesting for your eyes to follow. Both artists killed.

The Letters page thing, at the end, gave off good vibes for the direction of the book.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scantaly clad? BAN THIS BOOK, it's sexist!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to reading this.

Edstone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beatifully written, as an origin story it establishes Angela's moral compass with elegance. It had the feeling of being the first chapter of a great novel.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant wait to read it after work, ive been saving it since yesterday

Munin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Munin

It was good, until you find out that there is a new heir to Asgard! it's to much Déjà vu, just like in the tenth realm event!

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A very solid premiere issue. Already added to my pull and thankful for it. By issue 4 I am going to start a #saveangela campaign even if sales are good so Marvel will start giving it away :)

The best solo issue 1 since Falcap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Good start to this one, Gillen is right at home with this kind of story. Never read a single comic with Angela but I am interested now.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By HolySerpent

Pass

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I need any past knowledge of this character to follow this issue?

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdp180 said:

You don't need to dig into the old Image appearances. Knowing a little of what has been going with her in Marvel might help a little, but they do talk a little about her past and give you some idea of who/what she is.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By BlueEcho

@jdp180 said:

Marvel does a good job of recapping recent events at the beginning of its issue, but I felt that this story was still very different from what happened to the character recently. The story kind of stands for itself by the end of the first issue, and while it wasn't bad, I am not sure if I will read the next one.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong: You are not here so often anymore right?

TheReaper111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheReaper111

did anyone else notice that the guys she fights have big red capes, burned ugly faces, and glowing green eyes? gee i wonder who they were supposed to look like....

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@heirtothekingdom:

angela is the rightful heir to asgard but if you read this issue you now see someone else is up for the gig. my question is: who's the daddy and mommy? with how messed up marvel's timeline is across its books I cant tell when this takes place other than after thor 3 since odinson has his metal arm now.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perfect_10: Yeah, the timeline is pretty bad. Hard to find when things happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.