Follow

Alan Scott

Character » Alan Scott appears in 2017 issues.

Alan Scott, the bearer of the mystical Starheart, is the original Golden Age Green Lantern and a founding member of the Justice Society of America. An all-time great, Alan continues to fight for truth, justice and freedom well into old age as a member of the Justice Society. He has now been introduced as an iconic gay character in DC's new reboot, Infinite Frontier.

Change for the sake of change?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

My reaction to Alan Scott being gay in Earth-2?

Now before anyone rips into me for this, let me explain my point of few on this. Alan Scott is my absolute favorite Green Lantern of all time, and ranks pretty high on my "All time Favorites" list. This is a Golden Age character that has been around since 1940 and without him we wouldn't even have the Green Lantern Corps at all. Now I don't mind change, but not change for the sake of change! Updating a characters costume to fit with modern times? Sure, if it looks totally ridiculous. If they were just changing his costume then I'd be fine(Even I can admit, that his costume needed a little more green. At least an all green cape). But anyway, this just too much of a change to the character. If they were going to do this, then it should have been with Starman. One of the Starman's was gay anyway so I wouldn't exactly care. This is a purposeless change and is just a shameless publicity stunt to get people to read the book. Before anyone says I'm a homophobe, I have a cousin that's a lesbian and we're very close so don't go that route with me. I realize many may be okay or even support this, but I don't. He was hetero when he was created and has been for the last 72 years!! What is they kept Superman alive in this book and made him gay? Would people still be okay with that? No, they wouldn't. Everyone knows Superman isn't gay, so there would be a highly negative backlash, and it would be just change for the sake of change. I'll still read the book, I'm just dealing with the fact that they're messing with a character that not only I love, but plenty of other people do as well. Alan Scott has been around for 72 years, and has managed to maintain a fanbase of both young who might have discovered by going through their grandparents old comics(Me) and old that was growing up when those old comics where new. It's a hard thing to deal with for me. I'm not gay, I don't understand it, but I don't hate gay people or believe every stereotype I've heard about them.

TheCommissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheCommissar

Personally I'm kinda indifferent about this change, although I admit it may be because I'm not that big of an Alan Scott fan. On the one hand, I like the idea of adding diversity. On the other, it's a pretty needless change to his character. Really what bothers me is that DC seems to be focusing more on whoring out the change to Alan Scott's preferences and acting as though they're great heroes of the LGBT community than just making the change because they felt it was a logical step, be it because of Alan Scott's character or because it seemed a homosexual major character would be good for diversity.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By superstay

Dude I agree 100%

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Redberry

I think of it as having a friend who you thought was straight all those years then one day he told you that he's gay. It's gonna take sometimes to adjust, but I hope you don't drop this book. I think it has a lot of potential.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Redberry said:

I think of it as having a friend who you thought was straight all those years then one day he told you that he's gay. It's gonna take sometimes to adjust, but I hope you don't drop this book. I think it has a lot of potential.

I'm not going to drop the book. It's a very interesting premise, and I'll enjoy seeing how it'll unfold. Hell I thought of doing a story on fanfiction.net with the same premise a few weeks before DC revealed what Earth 2 was gonna be about! In fact, the original idea for my fanfic was nearly identical to the one DC went with, except Captain Marvel was on the team along with Dr. Fate and Alan wasn't gay.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By jointron33

Alot of the idiot decisions, like a gay Alan, and just young versions of the JSA in general, as well as the existence of Earth-2, made me not like the book.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@jointron33 said:

Alot of the idiot decisions, like a gay Alan, and just young versions of the JSA in general, as well as the existence of Earth-2, made me not like the book.

I actually liked the sound of having a series showing what would happen if the JSA formed in modern times. I'll admit I was on board. Then came the costume designs. Okay, I was a little skeptical, but I still had faith in the book. Then they made my favorite Green Lantern, a character that has been straight for his 72 years of existence, gay. That was a big blow, but I still tried to hold out hope that it would get better. Then they throw out Alan's original origin of finding the Starheart and instead make him for all intents and purposes that worlds Swamp-Thing. Also the fact that this version of the Green only chose him because Superman wasn't around anymore which basically makes Alan the silver medal. Add in the fact that he's basically wearing an all green version of Kyle Rayner's second costume and we've got a major problem!!! I had just gotten over ONE huge change to his character, then they add in another major change. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to spend good money to read about a character that is only Alan Scott in name alone!! AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON GRUNDY!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.