Follow

Alan Scott

Character » Alan Scott appears in 2017 issues.

Alan Scott, the bearer of the mystical Starheart, is the original Golden Age Green Lantern and a founding member of the Justice Society of America. An all-time great, Alan continues to fight for truth, justice and freedom well into old age as a member of the Justice Society. He has now been introduced as an iconic gay character in DC's new reboot, Infinite Frontier.

Alan Scott is DC's new gay character!

darkknight666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By darkknight666

Until they merged it in crisis

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By Redberry

@darkknight666 said:

Until they merged it in crisis

But now they exist as 2 separate universes. In Earth-2, Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are all dead while they're still alive in the main universe. After the reboot, these universes exist separately again.

MineMineMine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By MineMineMine

They will retcon him straight again after this isn't such a buzz topic in the media.

Avatar image for deactivated-61386a4d71dfc
    deactivated-61386a4d71dfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The worst part is, is that its patronizing. DC wants to seem relevant to minorities, so they "promote" Cyborg, though he is the only new league member to not have their own book, and now instead of putting the work in to create an original gay character and maybe making them a heavy hitter, they just abuse their own reboot by just making a character with 70 something years of continuity gay. Its a throwaway gesture that feels more like table scraps, than an actual seat at the table. NEVERMIND all the wonderful years of real history behind the JSA, that was thrown away, and for what? New costume designs and a place to dump niche characters? Will Wildcat be transgender? Hourman and Liberty Belle will be a functioning slave/dom couple? Atom Smasher will be muslim? They fought nazis in the 30s for craps sake! If I were gay, I would feel marginalized, and pissed.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Redberry

@sirdaveysockrocker said:

The worst part is, is that its patronizing. DC wants to seem relevant to minorities, so they "promote" Cyborg, though he is the only new league member to not have their own book, and now instead of putting the work in to create an original gay character and maybe making them a heavy hitter, they just abuse their own reboot by just making a character with 70 something years of continuity gay. Its a throwaway gesture that feels more like table scraps, than an actual seat at the table. NEVERMIND all the wonderful years of real history behind the JSA, that was thrown away, and for what? New costume designs and a place to dump niche characters? Will Wildcat be transgender? Hourman and Liberty Belle will be a functioning slave/dom couple? Atom Smasher will be muslim? They fought nazis in the 30s for craps sake! If I were gay, I would feel marginalized, and pissed.

It was James, the writer, himself who wants to make the character gay. It's harsh to say DC intentionally chooses a random character to make him gay. This has been planned months ago by the writer himself before submitting it to the editors, so it was way before Northstar's marriage. I don't see how people say DC do it to steal spotlight from Marvel. Both publishers have a specific schedule to follow, it was such a short time between Northstar and Alan to say that DC does it intentionally.

Avatar image for deactivated-61386a4d71dfc
    deactivated-61386a4d71dfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Redberry: thats a little naive. You think the two biggest companies dont get heads up on what the others are doing, during the planning stages? Their arent artists and writers who freelance at both companies ALL THE TIME? Neither can keep a secret from each other at all. DC heard what marvel was planning, and i bet all the money I have that DC's editors put the word out to every writer that they need one too. They looked at their schedule, and picked someone. The b.s. story that its been planned for months is the oldest excuse in the book for when two similar things debut at the same time.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Redberry

@sirdaveysockrocker said:

@Redberry: thats a little naive. You think the two biggest companies dont get heads up on what the others are doing, during the planning stages? Their arent artists and writers who freelance at both companies ALL THE TIME? Neither can keep a secret from each other at all. DC heard what marvel was planning, and i bet all the money I have that DC's editors put the word out to every writer that they need one too. They looked at their schedule, and picked someone. The b.s. story that its been planned for months is the oldest excuse in the book for when two similar things debut at the same time.

I guess it's depending on whether you trust the writer's words or not. I believe him since this is not the first time he makes a gay character. He has gay characters kiss back in 1998 where people were very prejudice. He also lived in San Francisco, so I'm not surprise if he comes up with the idea himself.

Mongoose23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Mongoose23

Sure, Jade and Obsidian probably won't be around. But I don't get why everybody is freaking out. I thought the idea of the New 52 was to kinda jump start everything again. Plus he is a lot younger in Earth 2, so it's a chance to start over. Everybody should chill out and see what happens, just because they change a character doesn't mean the book will be any less good.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By CrimsonCake

I first heard this news on a bus.They said Dc was rebooting Green Lantern and I said to myself "There rebooting Green lantern!?!?!?!?Just like what they did with the incredible hulk!"At that time I thought they were talking about the movie since you don't usually hear about comic book news on the radio.After they said There Making Alan Scott gay I just remained in silence for a few seconds after being shocked by the news.Everyone was looking at me because I said it out load.

cassand15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By cassand15

and this is why marvel will always be better

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Redberry

@cassand15 said:

and this is why marvel will always be better

Why? There are gay characters on both sides. If I'm not mistaken, Colossus is made gay in ultimate as well. I prefer Marvel overall, but you can't say one is better than the other when they do the almost exact same thing.

TheCommissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#212  Edited By TheCommissar

I'm rather indifferent about this announcement. It's nice to see diversity, but at the same time it's rather unnecessary. Really my only issue with the situation is that it will probably prevent Obsidian and Jade from existing, but the recent interview done by ComicVine kinda quashed that fear since the lead writer said that he is thinking of ways of implementing them in Earth-2.

battyfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By battyfan1

.......seriously........i am the only one who was disappointed and hoped that it was Wonder Woman who came out of the closet.......

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Redberry

@battyfan1 said:

.......seriously........i am the only one who was disappointed and hoped that it was Wonder Woman who came out of the closet.......

If DC is trying to make a statement, it would automatically be a guy since there wouldn't be a lot of controversy because "lesbians are hot". Plus, they already have Batwoman in the mainstream Earth. I don't think people expect it to be a woman in the first place because DC pretty confirmed that it would be a guy. I was more disappointed that it wasn't Wally.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#215  Edited By X9

I know comic books need to include gay characters in their stories, not only as figurants, and so on... but I understand the ones who didn't like it. I'd be pissed if my favorite character turned gay out of the sudden. Or suffered any drastic change which took him away from his essence. It'd be like turning Batman into a smiling joker because DC felt like they needed a character like that O_o

I think they should've created a new character to be gay. Changing a established one is... well, I think it's kind of disrespectful to the fans.

However, it's Earth 2, so it's a parallel reality that doesn't have to do with the mainstream Earth. So fans shouldn't be so worried about it. An alternative version of Batman as a smiling joker could be interesting, as it's ALTERNATIVE.

Then again, I understand the revolt.

: Nhaa, why do people think she has to be a lesbian just because she's an amazon? I never saw anything in her behavior that could indicate she's homossexual. And she's amazing just the way she is.

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#216  Edited By greenteaforme

This is my opinion as a gay comic book reader:

He has two children. He's old.

The only people that will be able to associate with him are middle-aged closed cases that have families.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Catsnlynne

I think it would be great if Alan Scott and Jay Garrick started a friendship that eventually turned into a serious relationship.

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@revamp said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Get. Out. Now

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@revamp said:

Get. Out. Now

He's allowed his opinion.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I remember when this first got announced, basically the day when they put the last nail in the real JSA's coffin, worst part is that this isn't even the biggest New 52 screw up.

Oh well...

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@teamunitednerds said:

@revamp said:

Get. Out. Now

He's allowed his opinion.

Did you even read what it is about? Or did you just purposely skip the conversation in order to look cool or...? I honestly don't get it. Its not even like two comments below where I post again and explain the fact I was sad Jade wouldn't exist.

You're way too quick to judge.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is my opinion as a gay comic book reader:

He has two children. He's old.

The only people that will be able to associate with him are middle-aged closed cases that have families.

There are plenty of older people who still read comicbooks. Anyway, a person's age or sexuality isn't the only thing you can associate them with.

Avatar image for starheart_alan_scott999
    starheart_alan_scott999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screw this Alan Scott 2 me has been 1 of my fave character he had awesome starheart powers and all that but earth 2 seems like crap 2 me

Avatar image for starheart_alan_scott999
    starheart_alan_scott999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@x9: good point and it would've been better 2 make new gay charcters

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.