Follow

Alan Moore

Person » Alan Moore is credited in 1338 issues.

Alan Moore is a British comic book writer, one of the most prominent and acclaimed in history. His eminent works include Watchmen, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Miracleman, Tom Strong, Promethea, and The Saga of Swamp Thing.

Alan Moore: is he really THAT great?

Avatar image for orionstarlancer
    OrionStarlancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By OrionStarlancer

The idea that Alan Moore is a genius who deserves great respect has become an over-used aphorism in the comic community.  No one rejects this notion, but that is not necessarily a positive thing.  Alan Moore has made great contributions to the prestige and depth of comics with works like Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Batman: The Killing Joke, and V for Vendetta.  Readers adore these volumes and sometimes with good reason:  Watchmen is thought of as not only the best comic book of all time, but Time Magazine also hails it as one of the best novels of all time. Furthermore, Moore has made great contributions to Swamp Thing and other important characters in the comic cannon.  However, aside from Watchmen, none of these other stories seem to necessarily deserve the prowess they have accrued.   

V for Vendetta is a far better movie than it is a novel.  The decisions made by the characters in the movie directed by   James McTiegue feel much more logical to the story line and are far more moving.  Consider the different decisions made by main sleuth, Finch in the comic and the film:  In the comic, Finch is personally responsible for V's death as an almost accidental result of being high on LSD.  In the movie, Creedy and his thugs mortally wound V as part of V's own plan to be rid of both Creedy and Sutler. Finch later has the opportunity to stop the demolition of parliament, but instead allows Evey to throw the lever and set the end catastrophe into motion, thus freeing the citizens of England.   This poignancy here is thorough and beautiful, bringing the story to a more meaningful end than the novel provides.

Additionally, The Killing Joke remains an important factor in the comic industry and is almost solely responsible for creating the character, Oracle, but the story feels strained and the characters again seem to be acting in a way unfitting to their personalities.  Having Batman practically plead with the Joker in the beginning of the story was painful and weird, and the story of the Joker's origins seemed contrived, unconvincing, and silly.  Additionally, the Joker's attempt to convert Gordon also seemed obnoxious and would have felt much more realistic given a few more pages to offer the story more appropriate breadth and reasoning. What the Joker made Gordon see was horrific, no doubt, but we needed to get a better sense of how that might be not just troubling, but a key tipping point, before we would accept that this might theoretically result in an extreme personality change.  All of the characters of this book are greatly complex, and deserved a better handling and a richer story as readers might find elsewhere.

Lastly, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a clever way to blend British Literary characters in a different medium and plot-line, but no part of the story felt particularly "genius" so to speak.  The story was fun but no more than Conan the Barbarian or Final Crisis.  It didn't convey any particularly important meaning, it didn't change the comic universe, and it really wasn't that profound.  This isn't to say that comics must meet those criteria, only that the comics from a so-called genius or master-mind should probably be a higher caliber. 

Is it possible that complexity, boldness, and wonder that comes from Watchmen helps guide all other Moore creations? Does the one story have such a strong pull to it that we are willing to sweep all other things Moore touches under the umbrella of greatness?  If so, perhaps it's time to take a second look before we're willing to pass all of this by as the best of the best. 

What do all of you think?  Does Moore deserve this title or by giving him such accolades are we overrating the bulk of his works?

n the graphic novel, the masked crusader finds his end almost accidentally at the hands of head sleuth, Finch.  In the film, V's life is ended by Creedy and his thugs as part of a scheme V has contrived to have both Creedy and Sutler delivered directly to him.  Afterwards
    Insignia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Insignia

I think he does, his stories are always interesting and often contain many complex issues. As an anarchist he is also happy to challenge the social norms and sometimes that can result in a much more thought-provoking take on the superhero/literary genre. I'm nearly always entertained by his subsequent works.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By johnny_spam

I don't think he is the best I think he had the first say just like Dark Knight Returns not that complex a story but since it was the first to show some certain subject matter it is called the most brilliant. This is how I look at Alan Moore he wrote the earliest takes on dark and political things in comics or at least the most popular so people remember this as groundbreaking.  The Killing Joke felt strange not the best Batman story and even Moore himself said he did not think it was that good.

I will disagree and say V For Vendetta was a much more interesting graphic novel then a movie it felt like the movie missed some points. League was actually some of my favorite Alan Moore work I tend to like Moore allot better when he is just telling stories. This might sound strange but I think one of his most enjoyable works is Wildcats.

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sydpart2

I think Moore is a great writer...and he knows it. And I don't think I really need to say much more than that...

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ComicCrazy

I think Moore is definitely a good writer but I gotta say that his making of all these complicated and complex situations and realism and then applying them to the superhero genre can get a bit annoying. For instance almost every time he writes a character, he makes them complicated and stuff which is good but he always manages to make them unlikeable and distant and hard to read characters, and sometimes that fact makes me not want to read his stuff, but yes I think Alan Moore is a very good writer aside from a couple of things that bug me about his writing.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

Alan Moore is one of the greatest writers in comics unfortunately he is also abit of an asshole but many brilliant people are like that. 

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Glak

I've enjoyed everything of his that I've read so far
    And as for the V for Vendetta comment I disagree, the novel was much better than the movie

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Grant Morrison is the best, but Moore is brilliant. Unfortunately, he is also a giant twit at times. 

Your comments about V for Vendetta and the Killing Joke are completely wrong though, I haven't read League so I won't say anything about that.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I've only read Killing Joke and Watchmen, so I can't say much, but I think he's an okay writer, but I don't think he's the best, every writer has their own style of how they tell a story so no one is actually "the best", call is a cop-out, but I'm going with that answer.

OrionStarlancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OrionStarlancer
    @FadeToBlackBolt: @FadeToBlackBolt: Thanks for all of your thoughtful insight about what makes V great and reasons for your ideas . . . . oh wait YOU DIDN'T LEAVE ANY.  lol.  Apparently you really love the graphic novel of V for Vendetta if I'm "completely wrong".  In all seriousness, I would like to know what about that novel makes you tick.  I'm always able to appreciate that stuff more if I can see how it made someone else feel jazzed.
    OrionStarlancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OrionStarlancer
    @aztek the lost: How could I tempt you to at least partially reiterate it?  :)  I don't want to seem like I don't like Moore, because I do, but I think there is a perpetual urban myth or legend that keeps him seated firmly on the comic king throne.  Personally, as much as I like Watchmen, Neil Gaiman's Sandman might have it pretty firmly beat.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @OrionStarlancer:
    Well first of all, the novel is about ANARCHY. The film is about democratic freedom, so straight away, they missed the point. Sutler was a hybrid of Susan and Hitler, where in the novel he truly believed in the merits of Fascism as a legitimate political system. He wasn't a pschotic control freak just for ***** and giggles. His devotion to the Fascist system was a result of his pent-up sexual frustration, a common staple of Moore's work, rather than a side-effect of megalomania. Finch's "intuitive understanding" that occurs in the film makes little to no sense, whereas the LSD explanation is reminiscnent of Moore's other work; From Hell. There is a psychedelic and metaphysical element to evil, one that is aptly explored in the novel, but not in the film. V is a murdering sociopath, of course, since I'm an Anarchist, I believe Propaganda of the Deed is the way to go, but it doesn't change the fact he was a bad guy. In the film, he is portrayed as a freedom fighter and all around good guy. 

The novel is visceral and a true expression of Anarchism and it's legitimacy as a form of Political Government, whilst the film (although it is really good) just says that blowing **** up and killing everyone in charge will inevitably lead to a happy life. There is none of the maturity of consequence found in the novel; the bad guys are dead, and everyone is happy. 

As for the Killing Joke, the absurdity of human existence has never been explored quite so simply and elegantly. People are essentially wild, callous and insane at heart, but we hide that face behind a mask of the mundane. We go about our lives, fulfilling meaningless tasks until that ONE BAD DAY, when our world comes undone. When we look at society for what it is, where kidnapping a Police Comissioner, crippling his daughter and subjecting them both to torture isn't insanity, it's just life. The Killing Joke is exactly that, it's a Joke. Nevertheless, despite the absurdity of life, we must still persevere, because there is no willpower in the absurdity; there is no reason to live. And for that, we have the Batman. Batman pleading with the Joker at the beginning was completely in character; the Batman does not, cannot and will not kill, but ONE BAD DAY will change that. After all, he had one bad day, and now he's a freak in a batsuit beating criminals to a pulp. How long will it be before he has another bad day and kills the Joker? Batman is pleading with insanity. Order is begging chaos, just for once, to let up, but it wont, that's not how chaos works. 

And so, in the end, what can we do but laugh?
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Personaly hes one of my favorites. I love the league of extraordinary gentelmen. I also have from hell, watchmen, v for vendetta, complete future shocks, killing joke and some swamp thing. I feel for his style Moore is the best at what he does, i have to say i disagreee with the v is a better movie than novel comment thou. The film is margainly worse than the novel in my view. But in general i think Moores works  ar eboth entertaining and quite unique with some masterful touches included.  There are other writter who are at Moores level of influence but i enjoy more of his titles than i do most of them.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @aztek the lost: Who would be your top 5, if you don't mind my asking?
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#16  Edited By cbishop

I've said this in several places, but I'll repeat it here (hopefully, in short): Moore is the absolute KING of reinventing old characters, or of writing that character that's similar to a favorite of our youth.  He writes good satire (if you know what he's referencing).  Often, he does both at the same time.  However, when it comes to original works, I don't think he's all that.  I either haven't liked the original work, or the solicitation left me "ho-hum" enough to not even bother reading it. 

Recent articles on CV and CBR have revealed that Moore has a pretty high opinion of himself, and that was a little bit of a turn off to the guy's writing, for me.  A little.  I'm not gonna lie: I'll probably read the next big Alan Moore work, when it's collected in TPB - I usually enjoy them.  Just not when it's all original material.  Fortunately, it's usually not.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @aztek the lost said:
    " I've had this argument with many people so I won't reiterate it here...but I will say I am reading his back-catalogue in as much of an entirety as I can before I come to a final decision but as of right now, he's certainly not the greatest comic writer I've encountered. He's usually a pretty good one though. "
    Agree with this 100% he is good but definitely not the best and definitely one of the most overrated snake worshiping writers out there
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @cbishop said:
    "

I've said this in several places, but I'll repeat it here (hopefully, in short): Moore is the absolute KING of reinventing old characters, or of writing that character that's similar to a favorite of our youth.  He writes good satire (if you know what he's referencing).  Often, he does both at the same time.  However, when it comes to original works, I don't think he's all that.  I either haven't liked the original work, or the solicitation left me "ho-hum" enough to not even bother reading it. 

Recent articles on CV and CBR have revealed that Moore has a pretty high opinion of himself, and that was a little bit of a turn off to the guy's writing, for me.  A little.  I'm not gonna lie: I'll probably read the next big Alan Moore work, when it's collected in TPB - I usually enjoy them.  Just not when it's all original material.  Fortunately, it's usually not.

"
    I too get annoyed with his arrogance. He dismissed Blackest Night because it was following up on an idea he introduced years ago. Um, Alan, Watchmen came out of characters that were invented decades before too, what's the difference?
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#19  Edited By cbishop
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    "I too get annoyed with his arrogance. He dismissed Blackest Night because it was following up on an idea he introduced years ago. Um, Alan, Watchmen came out of characters that were invented decades before too, what's the difference? "

Yeah, I didn't get that.  He wrote a story in a continuing universe, prophesying something to come, and he's upset when they pick that idea up and run with it?  There was something in either that CBR article I mentioned, or one of the videos linked to it, where Moore makes a comment along the lines of nobody should be allowed to write the characters he has written.  Why would you do work-for-hire, if you expected your work to be left alone?  Duh.  I thought the industry learned that lesson when Steve Gerber lost Howard the Duck.
    OrionStarlancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OrionStarlancer

I tried to post this to the blog and I think I failed on a rather epic level so I'll post it again here:    

I think in some fashions this raises another interesting debate: Is Alan Moore creative?  Of course we have to decide what constitutes creativity and who would actually exemplify such a trait, but I think it does deserve some examination.  I think I would answer yes, he is creative, but I would have to admit that there is something really tantamount to comic invention in the creation of a character or characters.  In this sense, Stan Lee may be one of the most if not the most creative man in comics, which we would probably also widely accept, and Moore might then fall behind.  Nearly all of his famous works use borrowed characters.  In fact, are there any that don't? 

Additionally, cbishop pointed out to me that this may not be an issue of creativity, but more an issue of originality.  I like this idea more, though I think the two have some intertwinement (yes, thats a real word).  What do you all think?  How much do we credit Moore with either?

OrionStarlancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OrionStarlancer
    @Sydpart2: But you should try. :)
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By turoksonofstone

Alan Moore  is the second Greatest comics writer of all time only Jim Shooter is better....

aerozol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By aerozol

Undoubtedly one of the best.

Even the OP doesn't really make a good case against it, so this seems like a bit of a senseless stir to me.
    Not every story he writes has to be outstanding, many authors considered 'great' have only a single book to their name. I'm sure everybody can find something of his that they find totally terrible, after all he's written a lot, but that can be said of any prolific writer.
    Basically, topic title is a bit pointless, but I'm sure that the point within the post (that not all his pieces are necessarily great), is solid.

OrionStarlancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OrionStarlancer
    @turoksonofstone: I'm going to restate this here so maybe the rest of you can chime in and upbraid me for not knowing, but who the hell is Jim Shooter?
    OrionStarlancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OrionStarlancer
    @aerozol: Is your picture of a smiling Kiwi? 
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @OrionStarlancer said:

" @turoksonofstone: I'm going to restate this here so maybe the rest of you can chime in and upbraid me for not knowing, but who the hell is Jim Shooter? "

Jim Shooter is a former DC writer who wrote the Legion of Superheros when he was 13 during its heyday in the 1960's, he went on to become an editor at marvel during the 80's and created the Marvel Mini-series format  and wrote Secret Wars one and two he then went on to create and write the awesome original  Valiant Universe in the 90's, currently he writes Turok, Solar, Magnus, and Samson the Dark Horse "Gold Key"Line. I challenge anyone to name a better crossover than Shooter's "Unity" which in my opinion was Shooter's masterpiece. 

Alan Moore wrote "From Hell", Watchmen","V for Vendetta",etc.etc.etc.Don't forget all of his mainstream superhero work almost all of which is classic, The ABC stuff was fantastic. He deserves the "Genius" moniker. He earned it in the Industry and outside it through the Power of his work he deserves all the credit he gets. Nuff' Said True believer.
    @OrionStarlancer said:
    " @aerozol: Is your picture of a smiling Kiwi?  "

Looks like it to me.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sydpart2
    @OrionStarlancer:
    What it comes down to is he writes some great stuff, even the stuff he doesn't think is great is pretty damn good. But because of all the praise people give him for his stuff I believe Mr. Moore thinks the sun shines out his ass. Because of all the praise I believe he has lost all sense of what it means to be humble. That's why he always talks shit about DC and the movies made from his books and how no one is doing anything as good as he did back in the 80's(heard that one recently). Mr. Moore knows he's good and because of that thinks that he has the right to decide what is good and what isn't.
    DeadpoolEmmet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DeadpoolEmmet
    @johnny spam: Groundbreaking and innovative CAN mean the best. To put into terms of music, Jimi Hendrix was the first ever guitar player to do the things he did, and everyone since them has done that! The distortion, the wah-wah pedals, the feedback. To some people reading this I might just be coming up with gibberish, but you say that Alan " wrote the earliest takes on dark and political things in comics or at least the most popular" so everyone who has done that since owes him a debt.  
          Ive only read Watchmen and The Killing Joke, but I thought they were both very good. Alan has the ability to create endings that noone would ever dream of! Although I was originally unsatisfied with the ending of The Killing Joke, looking back I think it's very good because it's different. As for the Batman "pleading" with The Joker, I think it was very reasonable since the Batman doesn't want to kill people, or destroy them, he just wants to stop the bad things happening.
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By ForbushBug
    @turoksonofstone said:
    Alan Moore wrote "From Hell", Watchmen","V for Vendetta",etc.etc.etc.Don't forget all of his mainstream superhero work almost all of which is classic, The ABC stuff was fantastic. He deserves the "Genius" moniker. He earned it in the Industry and outside it through the Power of his work he deserves all the credit he gets. Nuff' Said True believer.

Yeah, Moore has an impressive body of work besides his most famous output, especially ABC. I love the pure joy of the Tom Strong stories. Top Ten was a beautifully quirky world and Promethea was fantastic. Hell, the man turned Leifeld's hackery into good reading. Is he an arrogant nutjob that needs to get his furry head out of his ass before he speaks to the press again? Hell yeah. But the talent is definitely there.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By johnny_spam
    @DeadpoolEmmet: I tend to think others can get their points across better then Alan Moore does I think he is a good writer but falls into a trap sometimes which is that sometimes the extent of his stories is like he is saying why something doesn't work I think a story can be more rounded if there more sides to a story rather then one. With some of Moore's stories he had the first say on something and that somehow transfers to it's the best plus other writers of that era in the eighties were also brilliant in their own ways but since he was the most popular he somehow has to be the innovative.
    Avatar image for captaincockblock
    CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By CaptainCockblock

I may disagree with what you say, but you definitely bring some reasonable arguments to the table and state your point with meaning. I respect someone who has the gall to step outside the fold and state his opinion even if it's contrary to everyone else. But with so many crappy writers out there, do we really need to be so picky about the greats? Let's just be glad V didn't have Liefeld musculature and sport huge shoulder pads and guns.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You make a strong point, but even so I have to disagree. I found that LGX took an extrodanary amount of thinking to find out where these characters would fit in a team, or even fighting against each other. You also fail to mention your opinions on Watchmen, one of my favorite comics. 
    RORSCRACH LIVES!
    DeadpoolEmmet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DeadpoolEmmet
    @johnny_spam: The thing about being the first is, when you're the first to do something that is later thought of as being very good, (e.g. Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns*) people tend to call that 'genius' because, if you've come up with something that no one else has come up with, you're probably pretty smart. Alan Moore isn't a genius the way, say, Einstein, or Newton, or Bohr or Feynman are, but I firmly believe that he is a comic book genius. As for the term 'groundbreaking', I think that when a work of art does something that has never been done before, if more people start doing it, what people get into their heads is: Well if everyone's copying it, it must be pretty good!, which it usually is, and if it did it first, and led to a whole new way of looking at and writing within the medium, it's a very important work, and 'greatest' isn't synonymous with 'best', but more so with 'most important'. 

Is Watchmen the best comic book ever? It's not my favourite, but important or no, it is an extremely well-written piece of work, that was incredibly unique for it's time. That said, there are probably more complex, equally well-written stories, that could probably be called 'better', (the work of Grant Morrison springs to mind). Is it the greatest? Almost certainly.  

For what it's worth, that is my opinion.

*I have just recently read the Dark Knight Returns, and I thought it was a brilliant piece of comic book writing. I was completely awestruck by the quality of the work, not the legacy.
    HoodedGeek14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HoodedGeek14

Well, he did change comics with ''Watchmen'' and he never sells out. So I have to say he is my favorite comic book writer.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

He's good, but I don't think he is a genius. I think that term is over used, and its meaning has become watered down.

radnorrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, you idiots!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.