In the later years of World War II, Baron Von Strucker created an organization known simply as HYDRA. He divided HYDRA into two branches Advanced Idea Mechanics (AIM) and the Secret Empire. The division known as AIM began as a group of scientists whose purpose was to design weapons for HYDRA.
A.I.M. was responsible for creating the Cosmic Cube, the Super-Adaptoid and MODOK.
AIM was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
Under the umbrella organization known as THEM, Strucker directed the terrorist operations of the Secret Empire, Hydra, and AIM, with a “Scientist Supreme” serving as the head of AIM’s own ruling council. When Strucker seemingly perished in the destruction of Hydra Island, AIM broke all ties with the Secret Empire and Hydra. The organization eventually succeeded in overthrowing the government of the Caribbean island-nation of Boca Caliente, rechristening it “AIM Island.” However, in recent years, AIM has been plagued by infighting amongst various factions vying for control of the organization. MODOK and Monica Rappcini have fought for the title of Scientist Supreme, a third faction known as Radically Advanced Ideas in Destruction (R.A.I.D.) broke away to serve the Red Skull (Johann Shmidt), while a fourth called Advanced Genocide Mechanics (A.G.M.) surfaced in the Congo.
AIM has fought against many superheroes and villains alike. And is the focal point of a continuing investigation by SHIELD. SHIELD even raided a secret android processing facility in the Florida swamps that was funded by AIM. AIM retaliated by raiding SHIELD's base of operations in New York. And as a result, AIM's base was utterly destroyed.
Major Story Arcs
AIM hired Batroc the leaper to steal for them a substance known as Inferno 42. They also sent a chemical android to dispose of both Steve Rogers and Nick Fury.
AIM has also at one point captured Iron Man to try and reproduce his famous armor.
AIM is responsible for infecting Betty Ross with Gamma Radiation and turning her into the Harpie.
For a short time, a power shift in AIM resulted in the faction splitting into two groups the Blue faction and the Yellow Faction. These two factions did battle even dragging Deathbird into the fray. The Yellow faction captured Thing and Namor for study. The Blue faction tried to re-create the Cosmic Cube. But currently neither faction seems active, they seem to have become one unit again.
AIM succeeded in murdering M.O.D.O.K. when they hired the Serpent Society.
AIM has used jets to assault the West Coast Avengers compound. They launched a microbe into the Stark Space Station.
AIM has attempted to steal the Quantum Bands from Quasar.
AIM has recently become a techno-anarchist group and is no longer affiliated with HYDRA. They also helped in the creation of the Red Hulk.
AIM later establishes itself as an independent nation state on the island of Barbuda, giving the group diplomatic immunity. Andrew Forson uses his position to wage war with S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers, frequently undermining both groups in the process. AIM is later bought by Sunspot, who begins using its technology and resources for more noble purposes.
A.I.M. appears in the film as the major group of antagonists. It is established that in the MCU, A.I.M. was founded sometime after the year 2000 by Aldrich Killian, who had wanted to get Tony Stark involved as an investor. When Stark humiliated Killian and rebuffed his attempts to sway him, Killian took matters into his own hands. By 2013, A.I.M. was a successful government-sanctioned think-tank, with Killian acting as the leader. The group secretly begins experimenting with Maya Hansen's Extremis virus, which they test on soldiers returning home from the wars in the Middle East.
A.I.M. is also hired by the U.S. military to redesign the War Machine armor, rechristening it the Iron Patriot. Killian attempts to force Tony to fix a flaw in Extremis in order to perfect it, while at the same time launching a plan to assassinate the president in order to install a puppet regime. In the final battle, Tony uses his Iron Legion in a massive battle against A.I.M.'s Extremis soldiers.
In the continuity of the film, the A.I.M. scientists do not wear their yellow outfits from the comics.
- In Iron Man: The Animated Series, it's revealed that A.I.M. is responsible for the murder of Howard Stark.
- In Iron Man: Armored Adventures, the members of A.I.M. appear as recurring antagonists throughout the course of the show, frequently clashing with Iron Man and his allies. Throughout the first season, they attempt to create M.O.D.O.C., and partner with Moses Magnum to receive Vibranium from Wakanda. This brings the group into conflict with the Black Panther, who partners with Iron Man to stop the deal. M.O.D.O.C. is eventually created, and the group continues to appear in the second season.
- In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, A.I.M. is contracted by HYDRA to create the Cosmic Cube. The group lies about its completion and attempts to keep the artifact, leading to a massive war with HYDRA that spills out into the streets of New York.
- A.I.M. appears in Avengers Assemble.
- A.I.M. soldiers appear as enemies in Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
- A.I.M. appears in the video game adaptation of the first Iron Man movie, where they are working with Obadiah Stane to reverse-engineer Tony Stark's Iron Man armor.
- A.I.M. appears in the PS2 and PSP versions of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.
- A.I.M. appears in the Super Hero Squad game.
- A.I.M. appears in the video game adaptation of Iron Man 2, where they work with Kearson DeWitt to develop Ultimo.
- A.I.M. appears in Marvel Avengers Alliance.
- A.I.M. appears in the video game adaptation of Iron Man 3.
- A.IM. appears in Marvel Avengers Academy.
- A.I.M. appears in Marvel Heroes.
- An A.I.M. figure was included in Hasbro's Marvel Universe line.
- A.I.M. appears in the HeroClix figure game.
- A.I.M. soldiers appeared in the Minimates line from Diamond Select.
- An A.I.M. bust was produced by Bowen DEsigns.
- An A.I.M. soldier was included in the Marvel Legends Mandroid Build-a-Figure wave from Hasbro.
- A Marvel legends two-pack featuring a pair of A.I.M. troops was later released by Hasbro.