Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Set Visit

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has returned from its mid-season break and things are heating up. With more Inhumans popping up and Grant Ward's transformation into the Hive, it's a dangerous and hectic time for Phil Coulson and his team of agents. We had the chance to visit the set of the show to get a preview of this week's episode. We also spoke with the producers and cast members to find out how they'll deal with Hive and HYDRA, what's coming up in the second half of the season, and where everyone sits on the Team Cap vs. Team Iron Man debate.

No Caption Provided

We started off getting an early look at this week's "Inside Man" episode. You can read our spoiler-filled recap if you haven't already. What made the viewing even more memorable was we got to watch it in Director Coulson's office. Chairs were set up in front of his desk, pointing to the large screen on the opposite wall.

After the episode, we moved to the common area set in the base. Our first interview was with the producers Jeffrey Bell, Maurissa Tancharoen, and Jed Whedon. The first question dealt with Brett Dalton's scene at the end of episode 12 with his character covered in goo and Grant Ward's overall transformation into Hive. Whedon replied, "This was another way to sort of not only give him a challenge, but to give Ward a new…he's been the baddie for a while and I thought it was a nice way to escalate this character." There was talk in bringing back characters they really like. the challenge is working with the actors' busy schedules, like Patton Oswalt.

The producers were also asked if we're seeing some setup for Adrianne Palicki (Mockingbird) and Nick Blood (Hunter) to exit the show for their potential spinoff, Marvel's Most Wanted. Bell's response was, "All I will say is we hope one day they may have their own show. But while they're on S.H.I.E.L.D., we want to take advantage of who they are, and give the audience as much of their relationship with one another, and with other people, as possible to make that really satisfying. So we are aware that there is a potential immanent end, and so they won't be neglected."

You can read the full Q&A with the producers HERE.

Ming-Na Wen (Melinda May) was next. She talked about what it might be like when she faces her ex-husband who turned into the killer Inhuman, Lash. When asked if there was a line characters can't return from once their crossed, her reply was, "I think that's what's interesting about Marvel. There's the unknown of everyone's personal journey. It's hard to say. So far, what has happened to Ward's character has been one shocking transition to the next. There is no way of really telling you a definitive, 'Yes, he will never be able to turn.' In reality, what does he turn into? He's no longer Ward, really. We can keep that hope alive that inside that monster there is still some parts of Ward."

Ming-Na also talked about sort of taking on a mentoring role with characters like Simmons and Fitz, to prepare them for combat and survival. You can read Ming-Na's full responses HERE.

Next up were Nick Blood (Hunter), Luke Mitchell (Lincoln), and Henry Simmons (Mack). You can read their full Q&A HERE. This was followed by Elizabeth Henstridge (Simmons) and Iain De Caestecker (Fitz). There was talk on their complex relationship and how they'll continue to evolve as the threats increase. You can read their full interview HERE.

No Caption Provided

We moved back to Coulson's office to talk to Clark Gregg. He talked about what Coulson's reaction might be to discover that Hive has taken over Grant Ward's body. We found out how he feels about the possible vaccine against Terrigenesis for Inhumans as well as how he feels about letting Daisy and the others have more control in what they do. Clark's full interview can be found HERE.

The final interview was with Chloe Bennet (Daisy Johnson) and Brett Dalton (Grant Ward/Hive). There were some distractions as Brett would occasionally tell awesome corny jokes and Chloe's dogs were walking around being incredibly adorable. Brett discussed being completely covered in sticky goo for the final scene in episode 12. With this now the third variation on his character, he mentioned being fearful what they might come up with for season 4. "I just keep going back to how lucky I am that I've had the chance to play three separate characters, essentially, on as many seasons of our show. I don't know what’s happening fourth season, but we imagine it'll be a dinosaur or a robot. A dinosaur robot." You can read Chloe and Brett's full interview HERE.

Each actor was also asked hypothetically where their allegiance would be with the Captain America: Civil War debate--Team Cap or Team Iron Man?

CLARK GREGG: I think the Coulson from some of the earlier films especially would have just been, wherever Steve Rogers goes, I'm gonna be there with my cards, and at some point I'm gonna get them signed. But I think what's amazing about doing this character for 70 episodes of television, and putting him at the lead of a no-longer-existing S.H.I.E.L.D. that's hunted around the world is, you get a very different perspective.

NICK BLOOD: Hmm, he'd be Team Hunter. Yeah, I don’t know that Hunter would involve himself in that sort of politics.

LUKE MITCHELL: Look, the easy answer is Lincoln wants to be a part of S.H.I.E.L.D. As long as Coulson's the director of S.H.I.E.L.D., I'm sure he's on Team Cap, therefore Lincoln would be on Team Cap.

HENRY SIMMONS: I'm trying to think… yeah, I'll roll with that. I'll roll with that.

IAIN DA CAESTECKER: Hypothetical, you'd expect Fitz to be on the side of technology.

ELIZABETH HENSTRIDGE: Simmons would be Iron Man, right? I think [Fitz] could be Cap, right?

BRETT DALTON: He'd stand up over the title Civil War. That's personally where I think he'd stand. Hive, I don't know where he stands with that whole thing. In some ways, you're having humans—well, I guess they’re sort of—I mean, I don’t know. It could just be something, 'Oh, the humans are fighting again.' I think he’s even above that.

CHLOE BENNET: I'd be Team Cap. I think because she's Inhuman.

And the best answer goes to:

MING-NA WEN: Oh. Hmm… Who's closer to Thor…?

After the interviews, we got to visit the set of the Zephyr One, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s command plane. It was interesting to see how the set was laid out, and it makes you appreciate the special effects that go into the show. We got to walk on board and were even placed inside the Inhuman containment unit.

No Caption Provided

Here's some other pics from the sets.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. airs Tuesday nights on ABC.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

pretty cool, but you couldn't bring a better camera than your iphone?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@zombietag: They weren't allowed during interviews and the light was really bad. Sorry.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So no one had a Galaxy?

Lol. Just being a w/a. This is amazing though. Queuing all the interviews to my reading list as we speak. Thank you guys. This is sick.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By d9000

I really want that Shield garbage can!

LVDBot1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So when Wen said who's closer to Thor, did she mean, "BECAUSE IT'S THOR DAMMIT" or because of Chris Hemsworth?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.