Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Episode 105 "Girl in the Flower Dress"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

There will be some minor spoilers contained below.

When you have an episode with more of a Marvel Comics feel rather than trying to be grounded in reality, it feels more natural. The biggest thing going for this series is the fact that it is based on the comics and centered in the Cinematic Universe. The show's producers and writers should take advantage of that whenever possible.

The episode opens with a man in Hong Kong who is apparently a pyrokinetic. Again, this gives us the feeling the the Marvel characters actually have a chance to exist on the small screen. The man is soon greeted by a mysterious women in a flower dress, which will kick off the story. As the agents soon have to locate this guy, more on Sky's backstory is revealed.

There are some different layers to the show. We're seeing Agent Ward warming up more and more to Sky, who may or may not be trustworthy. We also find out that Coulson is having trouble sleeping, although he claims it's more that he feels like he has more energy. The casual mention that S.H.I.E.L.D. has a list of super-powered individuals they're keeping tabs on is enough to put a smile on every comic book reader's face. This means there is a bigger potential for more super-powered characters or possible actual ones we know about.

As the Rising Tide organization is involved in stealing classified information, Sky's loyalties are really called into question.

This soon leads to a change in the show, we get some implied sexual situations. This is an area the show has pretty much steered clear of in the first four episodes. To see the two participants in bed and then proceed to get dressed, it's an unfortunate decision. The show has previously teetered on the edge of being appropriate for the entire family. My ten-year-old daughter is a big fan of the show. Unfortunately with scenes like this...let's hope this doesn't become a trend. It may be the producers' way to try to make the show a little more 'grown up.' It really doesn't add anything to the show overall. They could have easily implied all they wanted and had a...cleaner cut afterwards with the same results. This may appeal to certain audiences but it is also limited the show from others.

The story overall managed to be engaging. We might still question why S.H.I.E.L.D. is sending out such a small team to highly dangerous situations but there are seeds being planted for possible future storylines and threats. Also, getting to the bottom of Sky's story was a great move. For her to do so much being everyone's back would just be insulting to the idea that they're supposed to be Marvel's top secret agents.

The show still isn't everything I'd like it to be. But it is still improving and evolving. We get some more ties to certain elements from the movies and a way to further build on a way to include more characters and enemies in future episodes. The show benefits from the idea of super-powered or comic book-themed ideas and characters. As long as the series builds on this, we can get the show that we want. Let's just hope the show focuses on the action and less on the passion.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Okay so they're setting up the idea that powers can appear out of nowhere. That's good, that can let them work around the mutant thing for Pietro and Wanda.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Okay so they're setting up the idea that powers can appear out of nowhere. That's good, that can let them work around the mutant thing for Pietro and Wanda.

Riddle me this, when is a mutant, not a mutant?

When It's ruled by a fox.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@the_stegman: Which is still BS. I mean mutant is a scientific term!! It's been around for a LOT longer than the X-Men have!!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Great review! I actually enjoyed this episode more than the previous episodes and I like that it's trying to set up a story arc that could be used in the future episodes. Personally, I didn't have a problem with the sexual scenes, but that's just me.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iceslick

I think it would have been more awesome if the Asian flame guy was Sunfire from X-Men. By the way, this is the first episode that I actually liked. Let's hope this is the start of the show's improvement.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlKusanagi

Scorch was pretty much the worst name ever, but 5/5 for Chloe in her underwear.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iceslick said:

I think it would have been more awesome if the Asian flame guy was Sunfire from X-Men.

I agree! It wouldn't seem like they are trying to go around the mutant issue by not mentioning that the flame guy was a mutant.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@alkusanagi said:

Whoa, whoa...whoa.....Chloe Bennet in her underwear? Looks like this show just grabbed my attention...by the penis

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Here is my review on the episode:

Loading Video...

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog: Yeah I noticed that too and they never did mentioned where he got his powers from. I didn't like the fact he got turned into a villain and got killed off. It would have been good to keep him for future appearances and have a chance of redemption considering he was a good person in the beginning. It kind of ruined it for me and I think the actor played a good role on this character.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iceslick: He may not have actually died. When he blew, there was a strange flame tendril effect coming out of the roof of the building. It's possible he became a being of pure fire.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

This was a great episode and seeing the team deal with an actual super-human threat was nice to see. I get that S.H.I.E.L.D. deals with all shorts of threats, but having this team dealing with various super-humans is something I want to see more in this show. I really liked how they tied Extremis from Iron Man 3 into the episode, having this evil group trying to use this super-humans ability to control fire as a way to stabilize the Extremis serum we saw in IM3, that was both a nice nod and great way to expand on what we saw in the movie. The only thing I didn't really like was the fact they killed Scorch off so soon kinda bugged me. I really would like to see villains or at least potential villains return possibly in the future, not get killed off after one episode.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iceslick said:

@rabbitearsblog: Yeah I noticed that too and they never did mentioned where he got his powers from. I didn't like the fact he got turned into a villain and got killed off. It would have been good to keep him for future appearances and have a chance of redemption considering he was a good person in the beginning. It kind of ruined it for me and I think the actor played a good role on this character.

I actually wished that he stuck around for future episodes also, just like Akela in the last episode. Actually, I would have liked it if they had kept Michael Peterson around in later episodes too, but maybe they might come back and join S.H.I.E.L.D later on.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iceslick

@alkusanagi: wow, I didn't actually think of that. Good idea man.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@alkusanagi said:

Whoa, whoa...whoa.....Chloe Bennet in her underwear? Looks like this show just grabbed my attention...by the penis

boobs?

WHERE?!?!?!!

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OtchiNiTenshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find this review a tad insulting, mostly for the focus on the 'passion' of Skye and Miles.

I think this series improves with every episode. This particular episode added many more layers. I liked the potential for references of fans... (an asian with fire powers. I don't doubt I'm the only one who thought 'SUNFIRE!' but hope I'm not the only one who was pleasantly surprised).. but also the fact it was open ended for future episodes.

I loved the 'evolution' of Skye's storyline. While it may be a bit of a trope, it was well executed, and written well.

My issue with the review is the obsession on -one- five minute scene which was included for a Ming Na-Wen May scene of awesome. Really? A passionate kiss and an actress walking around in undergarments is suddenly so offensive it shouldn't be on prime time television? Perhaps someone should tell every other show in a similar time slot that. -I- did not view the scenes as overtly sexual...and yes, I have a child who watched. I think some people (Including the reviewer) are too sensitive and protective about some things.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

Gotta wait until Friday

Sakurafire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Sakurafire

@alkusanagi: I was thunking that he just expunged it, probably burning himself all up in the process. He looked to have more control over his flames, hence the reason why they kooked to be tentrils (and a little chaotic from the pain). I do hope we get to see him again, because besides the dopey Scorch thing, I think they did pretty well. Then again, with a lot of the good fire names taken up, they didn't have much of a choice, right? Also, it's kinda cool discussing flame-weilders with a guy who's username is Kusanagi. Just sayin'.

Lastly, I wa ted to interject that this was my favorite episode as well. My wife and roommate, who like those cop drama shows, have been eating up this series. My son and I, however, have been patienly waiting for more.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@iceslick: He may not have actually died. When he blew, there was a strange flame tendril effect coming out of the roof of the building. It's possible he became a being of pure fire.

This is the same thought I had

_Genesis_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Show is getting boring 4/10

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@iceslick said:

@rabbitearsblog: Yeah I noticed that too and they never did mentioned where he got his powers from.

Coulson said they suspected it was a fire at a decommissioned nuclear power plant nearby, but that no one else got powers from it.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'm REALLY glad the show is giving us something about Skye's backstory. I was worried they were going to stretch it bit by bit until the season finale and by then I would be too bored to care. That's happened too many times in the past, and a lot of shows FAILED because of their bloated sense of dramatic timing.

I am disappointed about the sex implications showing up now. Like G-Man, I was hoping the show would stay family friendly, but I guess that's too much to ask of any show made nowadays. Whatever, the show is so awesome I'll just deal with it.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

While I wish theere were more concrete characterization, making Skye out to be an empty vessele and on a quest makes a lot of sense for a 22/3 episode season and provieds much needed direction. I even think Chloe Bennet is getting better. Now they just need to go the Digimon route and level all the characters up to champion level.

Also I really wish Dante Basco would show up randomly as a scarred pyromancer on a quest for honor because lawls.

longer form thoughts/cheap plug to the user review here

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was great all around. I actually care about Skye's character now. The sex didn't bother me, although I do not have children. Nonetheless I don't think the scene was inappropriate. Is it really that appropriate for a child to see someone incinerated and another person with a gaping hole in their chest but not the implication that two people just had sex? Sometimes I think people in the US are too high strung about sex, especially when we seem to not care about overt acts of violence.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We saw a woman have the flesh charred off her bones on screen and people are talking about an implied sex scene being family unfriendly?

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

@alkusanagi: more importantly people aren't talking about Skye's apparent Flash like abilities go rewatch that scene or look up the preview Clip 1 on youtube. The guys shirt is taken off and than on again in a matter of frames. Truly extrordinary speed. America where violence and gore are ok but o man a lil bit of sexuality and it's think of the children. The scene wasn't gratuitious and you can see worst at 8.

HalfGorillaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sex scene with chloe was good. the whole episode kinda felt boring. i don't know its not that good of a show.

KingAres109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was a great episode..But I am a lil surprised ppl are taking about the underwear part.I didn't think of it.I was more surprised of the chick getting scorched!! Lol..I even yelled!!I was happy!!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

We saw a woman have the flesh charred off her bones on screen and people are talking about an implied sex scene being family unfriendly?

I agree! I found the woman burning alive to be more shocking than the subtle sex scene.

HalfGorillaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. And barely any discussion about that new villain chick? She one crazy bitch!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

They're already on episode 105? Crap, they must air a new episode like every day...

ComicBookCoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

If I watch it like it's just another cool TV show about science-fictiony things, it's pretty cool. I'm so disappointed they have had more cameos or other Marvel U things. So much untapped potential! But maybe that broad appeal will bring even more people onboard with Marvel which, in the long run, will be a great thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.