6 Developments From Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Bouncing Back" [SPOILERS]

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. continue their search for new Inhumans while also trying to track down HYDRA leader, Gideon Malick. Phil Coulson is still dealing with the death of Rosalind Price and things are still a little awkward between Fitz and Simmons. None of them are aware Grant Ward escaped the alien planet after Coulson killed him.

Warning: Spoilers for season 3, episode 11 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "Bouncing Back," will be discussed below.

No Caption Provided

President Won't Publicly Support S.H.I.E.L.D.

Phil Coulson meets with the President in Rosalind's apartment, where she was killed. He tells Coulson he doesn't know how S.H.I.E.L.D. still exists, but he's happy it does. He can’t give them official acknowledgement since the public still remembers their fall (in Captain America: The Winter Soldier). He wants them to work in secret, like a black ops team.

The President also can't help with Coulson's hunt for Gideon Malick, the former member of the World Council who has been revealed to be a leader of HYDRA. His hands are tied, but Coulson's are not. The President tells Coulson a new head of the ACTU (Advanced Threat Containment Unit) will be appointed to help out S.H.I.E.L.D.

No Caption Provided

A New Inhuman Could be Joining the Team

Daisy, Joey, Mack, Hunter, and Bobbi go to Colombia to investigate an attack against the local police by a possible new Inhuman. A powered individual stole guns from the police. The Inhuman is a speedster, of sorts. She can move at lightning speed but only as far as she can go within a heartbeat. Then she snaps back to her original place.

This Inhuman is known as Slingshot in the Marvel Comics. Her reason for stealing the guns was so they wouldn't be used by the corrupt police. She is offered a spot on Daisy's Secret Warriors but wants to stay and help her people.

No Caption Provided

Coulson Gets Closer to Finding Gideon Malick

It turns out Werner Von Strucker survived his attack and betrayal by Malick. He's in a coma, but Coulson is decides to use him to get a lead to Malick's location. He places him in the "Tahiti" brain machine used on him after his death in order to find out how Werner was able to set up a meet with Gideon. Coulson later goes to the location to place a call to Malick, letting him know he's close to taking him down.

No Caption Provided

Ward has Been Transformed

Grant Ward was killed by Coulson last episode. The ancient entity HYDRA was trying to bring over has inhabited his body. As he eats and watches TV, he refers to people as "humans." He is becoming something else. Gideon has some doubts whether or not the entity is actually here or if it's just Ward that returned. The entity tells Malick he'll soon make him believe.

No Caption Provided

A New Head of the ACTU is Appointed

Rosalind Price was the head of the ACTU. She formed a close relationship with Coulson before Grant Ward killed her. The President informs Coulson the new head of the ACTU will be General Glen Talbot. Talbot and Coulson have butted heads before but have also managed to work together. It's going to be a tough working relationship.

Disaster is Coming in 3 Months

The episode opened with a quinjet out in space. An ominous "3 Months From Now" was revealed with no signs of life on board. A crucifix was shown floating in the zero gravity. This could be an indication that Slingshot will be joining the Secret Warriors within the next three months. Why the agents would be out in space remains to be seen.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

This was another strong episode. The introduction of new Inhumans continues to add excitement to the show as we get to see more superpowered individuals on screen. It's getting to be a race between S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA since both are trying to obtain them for different reasons. With Slingshot refuses to join the team and Joey being allowed to go home, it almost looks like the Secret Warriors' numbers are waining. It's safe to assume they will return as the show moves towards the end of the season.

Coulson is treading dangerous territory with his hunt for Gideon Malick. It's clear on some level he wants revenge for the death of Rosalind. We haven't seen any real follow up on the fact he killed Ward last issue. Placing Werner in the brain machine was another drastic move, but it showed he's willing to do whatever it takes to find Malick.

It's hard to see Ward in his transformed state as The Hive. Malick may believe his arrival is what HYDRA has been working on for centuries, but it could prove to be a dangerous move for HYDRA and the world. It will be interesting to see the reaction from the original team when they discover what Grant is becoming.

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jayskee

This was a really good episode

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FearTheLiving

Was a great comeback episode.

Curious as to if the guy with the stone gaze is suppose to be an existing Marvel character or one made up for the show. The only ones I can think of are Grey Gargoyle or perhaps it's their version of Gorgon? Makes sense given they most likely can't use the character anyways given his ties with Wolverine and in extension Fox.

But yeah overall pretty happy with this episode they handled Slingshot pretty well (albeit from the very little info I know of her) and Hive looks to be a pretty scary threat so far.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Half the time the main page loads up fine. The other half it's blank...

iSummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Gorgon?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good episode.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best CB show atm apart from the TWD

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Enjoying this development so far!

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rogueshadow  Moderator

If they want to continue to sell that this as a coherent universe, the events of AoS really need more than a kind of/sort-of passing inadvertent half-way reference in Civil War.

The stuff with the Inhumans is pretty earth shattering and is pertinent to the plot of Civil War.

There really should be a cameo from a major player from the films on the show soon.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I thought Yoyo was pretty cool, and I liked how she wasn't a typical speedster. Her powers have an interesting limitation.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@Feartheliving: Gorgon is a mutant so I doubt they could use him. Shame though, he'd fit nicely in the MCU since he's been a member of the Hand and Hydra. I like the idea of that cop being Grey Gargoyle

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FearTheLiving

@space_coyote: Did you read my comment fully? I said the MCU's version as in he really only shares the power not it actually being Gorgon.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@rogueshadow: There won't be any Inumans in Civil War. I did do a set visit for AoS this week. We asked the cast individually which side they'd be on. Stay tuned next week for a bunch of interviews and pics!

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: There won't be any Inumans in Civil War. I did do a set visit for AoS this week. We asked the cast individually which side they'd be on. Stay tuned next week for a bunch of interviews and pics!

I didn't really think there'd be any in the film, but it would be really cool to see characters like the Absorbing Man etc in the Raft in one of the cells, something like that.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Finally watched it and loved it. I wish Quake would wear her gauntlets more though. They were baddass.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@space_coyote: there's two Gorgons and ones an inhuman

But that one is very different from Mutant Gorgon and this was clearly at least inspired by the mutant.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.