5 Developments From Agents of SHIELD: Season 3, Episode 18 [SPOILERS]

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Last episode dealt with an intense standoff as S.H.I.E.L.D. raced against the clock to discover which Inhuman member of the Secret Warriors got turned by Grant Ward/Hive. The stunning revelation ended with a literal shake up to the base. The agents won't give up on their brainwashed teammate and set off to find a solution in order to defeat Hive.

Warning: Spoilers for season 3, episode 18 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "The Singularity," will be discussed below.

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Base is Still Standing

It was quite the "whodunit," last time. The revelation that Daisy had been turned by Hive was stunning. When Lincoln refused to turn his back on S.H.I.E.L.D. and leave with her, it appeared as if she planned to destroy the base as she departed. It turns out she didn't completely destroy it (of course). There was some damage done, and Agent May had to do some tricky flying in order to set off after their next target.

Grant Ward/Hive and Daisy Reunited

No Caption Provided

There are many viewers that have been holding onto the hope that the SkyWard relationship could still one day happen. With Hive in control of Ward's body, he has access to Grant's memories. Daisy feels addicted to Hive because he now fills up the void she had her entire life. Hive mentions Grant was fond of her. He keeps calling her Skye, and she has to correct him. Grant was unaware Daisy decided to start going by the name her parents had originally chosen for her so it makes sense that Hive wouldn't know this. She continues to share feelings about herself, and Hive mentions they are one organism now. Hive wants to take back the planet and make it a home the Inhumans deserve.

More Inhumans "Join" Hive's Army

No Caption Provided

Coulson, May, and Lincoln head out to find Alisha, the Inhuman that could make duplicates (from Season 2). They need to find her before Hive can get to her. They're too late, and she's already been turned. A struggle ensues and Lincoln is ready to do whatever it takes to a dupe in order to get information out of her as to where Hive took Daisy. Before he can make a move, another dupe shoots the one he had in his grasp. This one is about to kill May, and Coulson arrives in time to kill the Inhuman. The original Alisha is with Hive and Daisy and painfully feels the deaths.

Daisy and Hive visit Lincoln's old associate, James, because Hive believes he still possesses something that could be dangerous to him in the wrong hands. James keeps talking and stalling so Daisy simply breaks a Terrigen Crystal to start his Terrigenesis. Now as an Inhuman, he can generate heat from his hands. He is overjoyed to finally have powers. He struggles in choosing a name for himself. He considers names such as Inferno, Firestarter, Scorch, and eventually settles on Hellfire.

Fitz and Simmons Really go Undercover

No Caption Provided

As Coulson, May, and Lincoln search for Alisha and James, Fitz, Simmons, and Mack try to locate a man, Holden Radcliffe, who could possibly provide a cure for Daisy's infection. It's possible he may be able to come up with a way to block Hive's parasites. While alone, they discuss the possibility of taking things to the next level (i.e. sex).

After locating Radcliffe and explaining the problem, Daisy and Hive show up to take him. Hive accesses Will's memories to talk to Simmons about their time together on Maveth. Will says it's time to let him go. Simmons responds by shooting him three times. Later, Fitz and Simmons are alone at the hotel and the scene fades to black.

Is There Any Hope for Daisy?

No Caption Provided

Radcliffe possibly could have provided a cure. After he's taken away, Daisy forcibly tells Fitz, "Stop trying to save me." She tells him she finally has a family. She also mentions she doesn't want Fitz or Simmons to get hurt. They need to stop coming after her. She knows someone on the team is going to die (from her vision). This is her last warning. Next time she says she'll snap his neck.

Thoughts

Even though Daisy was pretty firm with Fitz and they've taken Radcliffe, there is still hope for her to return to normal. She's heavily under Hive's influence and "one organism" with him, yet she was still able to express compassion for Fitz and Simmons. It's weird seeing her and Ward together since neither are their true selves.

Hive's army is growing at a pretty slow rate. There's not too many episodes left in the season. Alisha getting swayed off screen was a nice surprise for us because we didn't see her attack against Lincoln and May coming. James easily siding with Hive is no surprise. The big question is, what was the other item he had that could defeat Hive? Also, where will Lash fit into all of this?

May's conversation with Coulson was pretty good. He's perfectly willing to have Lincoln killed if he gets turned but is still protective of Daisy. May flat out saying, "You're not her father" needed to be said. It was also nice of Coulson to notice he's similar to Hive, in some ways since he keeps telling May and the others what to do.

With Fitz and Simmons finally closing their deal, it should be interesting to see where things go from here. For viewers, it's been three years of them pining for each other with different obstacles getting in the way. For them, it's been ten years. It might seem like they're finally getting a happy ending, but with a death coming in the next few episodes, that happiness might not last for too long.

Hive used Malick's money to buy an entire town. His plan to try to recreate the Kree experiment that created him is a scary thought.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So can well call Hive's group the "Brotherhood of InHumans"?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FearTheLiving

Pretty good episode. I found it kind of funny that I literally had just rewatched The Mummy and The Mummy Returns before seeing this episode then low and behold John Hannah is making an appearance.

The only thing I'm not digging is that this really doesn't feel like it's almost over I feel like they could do another 15 episodes which makes me think we'll get a cliffhanger and Hive will continue into Season 4. That's not really a bad thing though as there is a lot to tell here and with the introduction officially as Hellfire and more Kree next week I feel like there is a lot to be told and reveled.

Hoping we see Manifold, Druid, and Phobos at some point or at least something close to those characters. Absorbing Man seems to be taking Stonewall's place which is a little disappointing but given short life of the MCU in relation to the comics it makes sense to only use Absorbing Man especially if there is no plans for him in the films.

Outside of that I like that Fitz and Simmons are finally just getting together and Hive is coming off as creepy as ever with those memories of the people he absorbs and controls.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@Feartheliving: I just worry about Fitz and Simmons happiness. How long will it last?!?

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Stahlflamme

If nobody else does I will... Coulson got an energy shield in his robot hand.

I like the transhumanists, very Deus Ex. Maybe now that Talbot blew up Hydra they make transhumanists or specifically AIM the villain next season. Killian was also talking about an upgrade to humanity with extremis after all, the MCU didn't really do the organization justice so far and probably does not plan on using them again in the movies. Plus, enemies that willfully upgrade themselves gives a good excuse for powered non-inhuman characters to appear. Don't think Machine Man is gonna survive the season, though.

So what do we call James now? Hellbit? Gamfire?

Plus, the Kree Reapers!

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what do we call James now? Hellbit? Gamfire?

Hellfire

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: I just worry about Fitz and Simmons happiness. How long will it last?!?

Considering they're (one of them) among my top that I think will be killed off this season I don't think it'll last long.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Very good episode. I'm wondering how they'll tie it with Civil War in the coming weeks.

I was hoping for Deathlok to show up, but Hellfire and Alisha made up for it.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FearTheLiving

If nobody else does I will... Coulson got an energy shield in his robot hand.

I like the transhumanists, very Deus Ex. Maybe now that Talbot blew up Hydra they make transhumanists or specifically AIM the villain next season. Killian was also talking about an upgrade to humanity with extremis after all, the MCU didn't really do the organization justice so far and probably does not plan on using them again in the movies.

The shield was amazing, especially given Cap will most likely never use that in the film so it was nice to see his biggest fan rep his own version of it on the show.

As doe AIM I wouldn't put it past there return. Russos were very interested in tackling MODOK when they were interviewed for Winter Soldier so I don't think it's completely out of the question.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and since they bought in Holden Radcliffe I wonder if that is a seed for Machine Teen, or just a fun nod to a comic character that deals with robotics.

KingKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: I swear you and I think along the same lines....coluson went full cap America fanboy that shield. And that new inhuman, very gambit like....hmmmm like the name gamfire lol.

bigsoto74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the episode, but I wish Hellfire was supernatural and not an Inhuman.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

What a great episode! And that vest may have been a Murder Vest but it sure looked cool.

LVDBot1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the episode, but I wish Hellfire was supernatural and not an Inhuman.

Since the Rider hasn't joined the MCU cast yet, probably not to make the Rider an imitation especially to non comic fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.