What is so good about Age of Apocalypse?

#1 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it so popular?

#2 Posted by howlettgrowl (793 posts) - - Show Bio

because Sabretooth is a good guy in this alternate universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
#3 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

The characters are badass, the world is on the verge of destruction, it's a kind of mature content for the time. (I mean, we get to see hills of corpses.) 

Some characters are very interesting and kinda touching, Sabertooth, Blink, Wyldchild. The villain are great too : Holocaust is an arrogant, unkillable bastard, Apocalypse, is well, apocalypse.   

Another thing is the kinda high mortality rate of the story, killed-off-for-real ! And, out of sadism, it feel good because it's not the usual "Oh I died but I get better." 

And all in all, it's also the sheer epicness of the story. I mean, Japan obliterated, wave of thousands sentinel that cross the oceans. The struggle of the X-men against even more despereate odds.  

It's just a dark, awesome, story. 

#4 Edited by Thunderscream (2621 posts) - - Show Bio

It's nostalgic for me, I was in middle school when it came out. I remember being so miffed that Psylocke was just about the ONLY character that didn't get mentioned (until the 10yr anniversary issues that I totally hated) but it was such a radical change from the X-Men I knew and loved and all the pieces of the story flowed so effortlessly, you could see how these characters would follow this new path in the face of such terrible adversity, as opposed to the way you knew them in 616.
Exodus was a good guy, Iceman had actually realized his potential, Dazzler got more attention, Wolvie and Jean are an item, Beast is a twisted butcher....it's just cool, man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
#5 Posted by deactivated-5c6600594117e (22316 posts) - - Show Bio

Change is good. In the case of AOA it was great.
#6 Posted by MuadDiab (383 posts) - - Show Bio

read it and find out 

#7 Posted by Theodore (3607 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thunderscream said:
" It's nostalgic for me, I was in middle school when it came out. I remember being so miffed that Psylocke was just about the ONLY character that didn't get mentioned (until the 10yr anniversary issues that I totally hated) but it was such a radical change from the X-Men I knew and loved and all the pieces of the story flowed so effortlessly, you could see how these characters would follow this new path in the face of such terrible adversity, as opposed to the way you new them in 616. Exodus was a good guy, Iceman had actually realized his potential, Dazzler got more attention, Wolvie and Jean are an item, Beast is a twisted butcher....it's just cool, man. "
agree
#8 Posted by John Valentine (16466 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything.

#9 Posted by Virus_Warning (219 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just cool to see a lot of the "usual" characters in a totally different setting with totally different lives
And people die and stay dead.  For a change
-Virus

#10 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks everyone.

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
#11 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1681 posts) - - Show Bio

Because i'm the main villian!
#13 Posted by PrinceIMC (5506 posts) - - Show Bio

It was great to see how the world would have changed without one man. I'm wondering if Age of X is going to have one similar point where everything changed.
#15 Posted by drphilter (123 posts) - - Show Bio

There is something about it that just blew me away when I read this for the first time as a child. It was the first alternative universe story I ever read and after falling in love with the X-men seeing things twisted upside down it was just awesome for me. Cyclops being a baddie and actually being... a Cyclops, Wolverine losing a hand by Cyke... I dunno just totally loved it.

#16 Posted by darth_fletcher (248 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved that it was a dark story, the whole earth had been over-run by apocalypse and it was no holds barred mutant vs mutants fights !!!

#17 Posted by jbrandon (5 posts) - - Show Bio

This story line brings back great memories as a kid  reading  AOA  with joy and  finding it so interested seeing all my beloved characters in a totally different way.

#18 Posted by carland (113 posts) - - Show Bio

It is relevant, with the posibility to see how writters used each character in a new dark bizarre way, i think those things gave to this story arc the appellative of Epic. And it had repercusions on the main universe!!

#19 Posted by Manchine (6329 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I wasn't impressed with it.  I know some people love it.

#20 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3868 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, I liked it for what it was

but it doesn't resonate with me the way it seems to with others

#21 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

I still need to pick up these trades. X__x

#22 Posted by Son Of Storm (11575 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" I still need to pick up these trades. X__x "
Procrastination is one of your species greatest flaw.
#23 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son Of Storm said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
Procrastination is one of your species greatest flaw. "
Buy them for me? ^_^
#24 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14582 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a combination of great plot, bad ass reimaginings of characters and just some quite big events within the series that are just really well done. Its probs the best xmen arc of all time.

#25 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3868 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress:
you're not missing a whole lot

it reads very dated at this point

#26 Posted by John Valentine (16466 posts) - - Show Bio
@lazystudent said:
" It was a combination of great plot, bad ass reimaginings of characters and just some quite big events within the series that are just really well done. Its probs the best xmen arc of all time. "
I completely agree. Probably the best alternate reality story I've ever read.
#27 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14582 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine:  i would go for that , short of a view much shorter alternative reality arcs/stories i cant really think of a contender.
#28 Posted by NexusOfLight (1733 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm reading through it now and not really finding it that great to be honest. Sure, it's nice to see some re-imagined characters and all, but overall, it ain't that great.

#29 Edited by John Valentine (16466 posts) - - Show Bio
@lazystudent said:

" @John Valentine:  i would go for that , short of a view much shorter alternative reality arcs/stories i cant really think of a contender. "

Well, in terms of size, I'd say House of M, which I think is quite a close second. Other alternate reality stories I would consider to be close, at least in terms of quality, would be Age of X, the Summers' Rebellion timeline (from X-Factor), Old Man Logan, Days of Future Past, Dark Knight Returns, Dark Knight Strikes Again and JLA: Earth 2.
#30 Posted by Son Of Storm (11575 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Son Of Storm said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
Procrastination is one of your species greatest flaw. "
Buy them for me? ^_^ "
:)
#31 Posted by John Valentine (16466 posts) - - Show Bio
@NexusOfLight said:
" I'm reading through it now and not really finding it that great to be honest. Sure, it's nice to see some re-imagined characters and all, but overall, it ain't that great. "
What makes you not like the greatest X-story ever told?
#32 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14582 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine:  House of M i cna kinnda see your point that was quite a good arc. In terms of the smaller arcs alternative verses without doubt Dark Knight Returns is number one. The rest are all preety good thou
#33 Posted by John Valentine (16466 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" You get to see Magneto and Apocalypse, both of whom are elemental X-villains, clash. "
Not really, Apocalpyse isn't really an elemental X-Villain. 
#34 Posted by NexusOfLight (1733 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:
" @NexusOfLight said:
" I'm reading through it now and not really finding it that great to be honest. Sure, it's nice to see some re-imagined characters and all, but overall, it ain't that great. "
What makes you not like the greatest X-story ever told? "
I dunno. I like the concept of it, the characters are cool, I like how it got started off, it's just the story telling. Maybe it's because of how the writing itself is. Nothing screams epic for me, it's just mediocre. Far from being the greatest X-story ever told. I mean, shoot, I liked Legion Quest more, and that was the story that set up AoA. Maybe I'll change my mind when I'm actually done with reading through it all, but the fact that I really have no motivation to see this through to the end, even though the books're right here really says something. As far as greatest X-stories go, I can think of at least three right off the bat that hold that spot for me.
#35 Posted by Wattup (682 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the story but it's so unreadable now with that fugly-ass 90s art.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
#36 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (5417 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked that Gwen Stacy was alive outside of the Spiderman world, the Summers brothers drama and that some heroes would be villains.

#37 Posted by danhimself (21433 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wattup said:

" I like the story but it's so unreadable now with that fugly-ass 90s art. "

Joe Madureira's art is anything but fugly

#39 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no clue. It was a middle of the road mediocre story. I don't understand the die-hard passion for it so many seem to have. I think it's over-rated.

Then again, my comic tastes stray a bit from the average readers' views.

#40 Posted by darth_fletcher (248 posts) - - Show Bio

its a dark story, its about taking whats right and turning it upside down, making good bad, making bad worse and making the worse down right ugly !!!

#41 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2511 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Devil Tiger: All of what you said, and it was also pretty brilliantly executed. It was different, it changed practically everything, and since it was done as AU, it didn't alienate the longtime fans.
#42 Posted by carland (113 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I think the entire concept is awesome and the way they wrote it. The drawings were master pieces in some volumes. .... Well i love everything about it.

#43 Edited by stambo42 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

I've finally read the whole thing... and I have mixed feelings. Gen Next is exceptional, amazing, and one of the finest things I've ever seen done with four issues of superhero comic book. Factor X and Weapon X had some really great ideas, and good stories, but both felt rushed at points and had pacing issues (you've got four months guys, make it happen). X-Calibre also seemed to try and fit too much into too little page space, and Gambit was enjoyable. I struggled to care about Amazing X-men ( a large part of that may have just been my investment in the cast... not the creators fault) but it was pretty well written and managed to move the story along well. Astonishing felt cheap, and like they were stretching out too little over too much space... and than rushing to wrap things up on the last few pages. I'm blaming Joe Madureira for the awfulness of Astonishing. I mean, what a great cast! Sabertooth! Blink! Rogue! Morph! I really wanted to like this! I'll bet if Bachalo was on pencils, it would have been much better. They could have done more with the story either way, but I think the ridiculously broad shoulders had a lot to do with my distaste. I wish the relationship between Blink and Victor was given more time... I feel like it was stated and never developed, and given the limits they both face in 616, both deserved it. I found X-Man to be awkward and awful in just about every way. Which is a shame.. .cause here too I think there was a lot of potential.

Perhaps the biggest problem with AOA is the colorists. It's a problem in almost every book. The pallets are dominated by these really bight secondary colors and yellow. In addition to being jarring it also makes the the panels really hard to decipher visually. It's like there is no foreground middle ground and background. Somehow Bachalo (whom I love) has the most decipherable art in this mix... how did that happen?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#44 Edited by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was trite drivel and had a hard time slogging through it. It was literally just an army of disproportionate mutants grab-assing each other issue after issue.

Age of Apocalypse represents everything that was wrong with comics in the 90s. It's baffling how people compare it to Claremont, Morrison or Whedon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.