cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateWUBI # 76:View:Attached to Forum:Back/ Next
    03/20/12Adv Coms Pres: Dial 'H' For Hero, Vol. 1(Blog) (Forum)Adventure Comics(Back) (Next)

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's one of mine:

Proposed Title:

Adventure Comics Presents: Dial "H" For Hero, Vol. 1. (couldn't fit all of that in the title bar)

Alternate Title:Dial "H" For Hero, Vol. 1.
    Collecting 14 Issues:
    • Legion of Super-Heroes (1980) #272.
    • Adventure Comics (1935) #479-490
    • DC Comics Presents (1978) #44.
    Covers: (click to enlarge)
    TPB Cover: Adventure Comics #482
    TPB Cover: Adventure Comics #482

When DC released the Dial "H" For Hero preview in LSH #272, in late 1980 (remember, cover dates were perpetually two months ahead back then), I was ecstatic. New Teen Titans was just getting started and already red hot, and DC was pushing their other teen team under readers' noses by enticing them with a free preview of the Dial "H" feature about to come out in Adventure Comics. The preview (and Wildfire on the cover) convinced me to convince mom to buy it for me (hey, I was ten, okay?), and I was immediately enchanted with the concept of Chris King & Vicki Grant being able to dial up identity after identity. Adventure Comics was a must have all the way through the Dial H For Hero run.

The unique thing about this run of Dial H (as opposed to the previous Robby Reed run, which was unknown to me at the time) was that the heroes, villains, and even some of the clothes, were all created by fans - and all they got for it was an "I Dialed 'H' For Hero" T-shirt. Man, I wanted one of those shirts so bad! Some personal favorites of mine were The Evil Eight (particularly The Familiar), Thunder Axe, Blakjack, Dragonfly, The Emerald Tiger, and... aw, heck, I loved 'em all! Especially the DCCP issue where Chris dials "H-O-R-R-O-R" just for fun, and Superman has to help stop him!

For the cover, I think I'd go with issue #482. It shows Chris & Vicki dialing, then changing, then flying away as two heroes. I actually kind of prefer issue #479, but the pile of fan mail in the middle wouldn't make any sense, once the cover blurbs are removed from the picture.

Abyss
    Abyss
    Squid
    Squid

It might seem like a silly concept, but guess what? DC has reused a slew of these names, including: Arsenal, Kismet, Wildebeest, Ice, Echo, Silver Fog, and Brimstone. Also, you may have seen the Dial H Sneak Peak thread, which leads to this article over on io9. Down there at the bottom? The Squid and The Abyss, from right there on the cover of Adventure Comics #490. That's right: the New 52 series coming up in the Second Wave, Dial H, is bringing characters back from this series. I think this feature deserves to be collected just for that reason if nothing else, but it was also pure fun! ...And it was continued in New Adventures of Superboy #28-49 (and a connected story in #50). So...

Would you buy it? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
    Adventure Comics Presents: Dial
    Adventure Comics Presents: Dial "H" For Hero, Vol. 1

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I'd buy it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Me too. I loved this series. I have always wanted to see the Evil Eight reappear. :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The site redesign had messed this blog up for a bit, and I couldn't get into it to edit it. So for a brief time, I had redone this blog as a list, and these are the comments from that list (the list is now deleted):

Who:Date/Time:Comment:
    wildvine6/14/14 @6:01pmMaybe. Sounds cool.
    cbishop6/14/14 @6:11pm@wildvine: I loved this series as a kid. It was like a monthly challenge for the creative staff. The fans said, "Here's your possible characters" (good or bad), "now give us a story." I thought it was great fun.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog comments. -cb

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.