Follow

Adrian Alphona

Person » Adrian Alphona is credited in 195 issues.

A Canadian comic book artist best known for his work on Runaways, which he co-created with Brian K. Vaughan.

I miss Adrian Alphona D:

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hawkingbird

He's one of the best artists out there. I was so excited when he was announced as the new artist for Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane! Why'd you leave us, Adrian?! I love your style. Very few other artists bother giving their characters different styles or body structures or facial expressions, his style was really popular with my friends, especially those who didn't read comics but started to thanks to Runaways.

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hawkingbird

I BETTER NOT BE ALONE.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't like his work.He's terrible at drawing the female figure.He did some really horrible covers in his time.

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hawkingbird

wuhwuhwuhwuhWHAT?

Adrian Alphona drew them like they were actual people. Karolina, Niko, Gert, and Molly all had different body types. It was great. What makes you say he was terrible?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Hawkingbird said:
    "wuhwuhwuhwuhWHAT?

Adrian Alphona drew them like they were actual people. Karolina, Niko, Gert, and Molly all had different body types. It was great. What makes you say he was terrible?
    "
    His Runaways stuff was ok.His Spider-Man loves Mary Jane stuff was junk and his Runaways wasn't the worst of the series but it's pretty high on the list.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hawkingbird

... all he did for SMLMJ was a SINGLE cover. You didn't think it was absolutely gorgeous?

How was his Runaways stuff bad, even?

edit: Not that you're not allowed to disagree with me, I just don't know what's possible to dislike about his art.

Dahlia Capello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Dahlia Capello

I like A.A., too. ^^ It's true he drew people like actual humans, which was great, and I thought he had something... different, unique in his style.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Slinger

I'm with Vance. Not a fan, and I don't see how his characters look any more human than any other comic book artist's.

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hawkingbird

Ed Benes to the right, Adrian Alphona to left. Who looks more human, the ones with horrible tumors for muscles and perpetual wedgies or Mary Jane?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Hawkingbird said:
    "... all he did for SMLMJ was a SINGLE cover. You didn't think it was absolutely gorgeous?

How was his Runaways stuff bad, even?

edit: Not that you're not allowed to disagree with me, I just don't know what's possible to dislike about his art.
    "
    You can't compare Benes to Alphona.Their styles are different.I'm not looking for realistic from Benes.His art is good though.Benes's art makes me want to read comics.Realistic isn't always good.Even an artist like Adi Granov or Alex Ross who does alot of realism draws characters sometimes with questionable features or that don't look very good.With Bnes it's something about the way his lines come together than make his art good,it's not photorealistic but he knows his anatomy and he styles it in a way that fits.

His Runaways stuff wasn't bad but it was great either.Alphona's stuff is less stylized and more garbage.He's like Rob Leifield to me.Years and Years of drawing and still there are certain anatomical things he can't get right.His faces are terrible.Every face he does looks similar.He's not good at drawing feet either.His facial expressions sometimes look really artificial..like he draws people make faces that nobody makes.I've seen very few things from him that actually had believable looking faces and expressions.

There is alot to dislike about his art.His cover for Spider-Man love Mary Jane was complete garbage.(He did two btw).The one you posted above is not the one I am referring to.He did one where Mary Jane is standing there with her purse and she has on a Spider-Man shirt.Mary Jane looks like a chucky doll in the face.Her legs are too long.It's just a bad cover all around.

I don't know what you see.
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Calvin
    Hawkingbird said:
    "Ed Benes to the right, Adrian Alphona to left. Who looks more human, the ones with horrible tumors for muscles and perpetual wedgies or Mary Jane?
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

"
    I don't really know much of the men's work but that MJ/Spidey toy looks very cool. It's a good job.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Calvin said:
    I don't really know much of the men's work but that MJ/Spidey toy looks very cool. It's a good job.
    Check his deviant art page.Dude isn't very good.He has some good stuff but it's very minimal.Let's say if he does 100 drawings...25 will be good.
    Dahlia Capello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dahlia Capello

-__-

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Dahlia Capello said:
    "-__-"
    What's wrong?
    Dahlia Capello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dahlia Capello

We get that you don't like the guy's work. No need to fill a thread about him with reasons why he sucks.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Dahlia Capello said:
    "We get that you don't like the guy's work. No need to fill a thread about him with reasons why he sucks.
    Calvin said he doesn't know much about him.I'm telling him if he's basing his opinion off of the one good picture he has then he should look at his other work.I'm not looking for people to come in here and say they like him and then shoot them down or else I would have responded to your first post.
    Dahlia Capello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dahlia Capello

Okay.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Calvin
    Vance Astro said:
    "Calvin said:
    Check his deviant art page.Dude isn't very good.He has some good stuff but it's very minimal.Let's say if he does 100 drawings...25 will be good.
    "
    I wish I had 25 good drawings, =P
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hawkingbird
    Vance Astro said:
    "Calvin said:
    "
    And if Benes does 1000, none will be :) .

His faces don't look similar. Compare Gert to Nico to Molly, they all have ACTUALLY DIFFERENT FACES :D! Whereas with Mari and Diana ... they look the exact same. It's uncanny.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Hawkingbird said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Calvin said:
    "
    And if Benes does 1000, none will be :) .

His faces don't look similar. Compare Gert to Nico to Molly, they all have ACTUALLY DIFFERENT FACES :D! Whereas with Mari and Diana ... they look the exact same. It's uncanny.

"
    You're talking about one out of very few good drawings that Alphona has done.I know Benes can do different faces but even if he couldn't..he draws the female figure so well...I'm not looking at the face to begin with.Back to faces though..there is a comic called Chronogear that Alphona did the cover for and all the faces were alike.There is a cover he did fr Runaways with just Nico on it..I believe she was flying.She looked like a boy.He also did a cover for Runaways where they were standing in a diamond formation with Alex in the front..it looked absolutely terrible.His anatomy is garbage.When I said he couldn't draw feet..he can't draw legs either.There is no distinction in some of his drawings between knees,calves and ankles.He draws tube legs sometimes.
    eliphs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eliphs

Comparing Benes to Alphona is like comparing apples and oranges.

Alphona's stint in Runaways was perfect for what he did.  These were teenagers not superheroes.  Teenagers are not going to be jacked out of their minds, and chances are, they will have long gangly features that only age will fill out.

I don't think Alphona did any of the covers  for Runaways, sans the compendiums.  The cover in question was Jo Chen.
    http://www.thecomicfanatic.com/solicit%20images/runaways210.jpg

It comes down to stylization.  People can argue things that are wrong with any comic book artist but it won't change what others think of it.  I think his work was great for Runaways, that he caught the feel of the characters far better than any other artist could have done. 

Avatar image for loaded_revolver
    Loaded Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Loaded Revolver
    eliphs said:
    "Comparing Benes to Alphona is like comparing apples and oranges.Alphona's stint in Runaways was perfect for what he did.  These were teenagers not superheroes.  Teenagers are not going to be jacked out of their minds, and chances are, they will have long gangly features that only age will fill out.I don't think Alphona did any of the covers  for Runaways, sans the compendiums.  The cover in question was Jo Chen.http://www.thecomicfanatic.com/solicit%20images/runaways210.jpgIt comes down to stylization.  People can argue things that are wrong with any comic book artist but it won't change what others think of it.  I think his work was great for Runaways, that he caught the feel of the characters far better than any other artist could have done.  "
    It's more like comparing a Porsche to taking the bus.Benes is good,Alphona is crap.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hawkingbird
    Benes is a crap artist. There's no way around it.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Hawkingbird said:
    " Benes is a crap artist. There's no way around it. "
    He's better than the guy you made a thread about.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hawkingbird

How?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Hawkingbird said:
    " How? "
    Benes draws characters with realistic anatomy,faces included and Alphona's work is stylized garbage.Most of his characters are stocky and have the same stature.He has like one good Runaways cover.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hawkingbird

Yes. Yes, this link:

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/geekspeak/archives/benes%20art%201.jpg

shows Benes realistic anatomy.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Hawkingbird said:
    " Yes. Yes, this link:http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/geekspeak/archives/benes%20art%201.jpgshows Benes realistic anatomy. "
    Sure does.It's not perfect, but Alphona's work isn't even close to realistic and most of his characters are drawn with the same height and build.There is a clear distinction in body type between everyone in the picture.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hawkingbird
    @Vance Astro: Okay, now I know you're trolling, so I want to join in!

AW YEAH, ED BENES AM GREAT ARTIST!
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Hawkingbird said:
    " @Vance Astro: Okay, now I know you're trolling, so I want to join in!AW YEAH, ED BENES AM GREAT ARTIST! "
    How am I trolling? I'm just stating my opinion.How am I the troll when you brought this old as thread back to address me?
    Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Andferne

I haven't seen much of his art but the ones I have seen I like.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

LOOK AT THIS GARBAGE....

No Caption Provided

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ARMIV

His stuff looks pretty cool.

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hawkingbird

Because Gert is clearly a different height and build then Karolina who's slimmer, bustier and slightly taller then slim Nico who's taller then little Molly.

Ed Benes, though? Giant tits and asses for everyone! QQQ-Cups! Same arm muscle and leg muscle (that is, none) for the ladies! Horrible tumors for muscles for all the gentlemen!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Hawkingbird said:
    " Because Gert is clearly a different height and build then Karolina who's slimmer, bustier and slightly taller then slim Nico who's taller then little Molly.Ed Benes, though? Giant tits and asses for everyone! QQQ-Cups! Same arm muscle and leg muscle (that is, none) for the ladies! Horrible tumors for muscles for all the gentlemen! "
    Just a minimal as their heights and proportions are in the scan I just posted that's how minimal the difference is in Benes's work when it comes to female anatomy.The cover that I posted sucks.Look how big everyone's feet are.The person in the group shot with the biggest feet is female.Look how bad Nico and Gert look.I know Gert is supposed to be fat and ugly but Alphona is overdoing it.

Now Look At Benes' Justice League....

Justice League.
    Justice League.

Look at the tones and definition in their bodies.Compare that to Alphona's tube legs.
    You were whining about the boobs but every female in this group shot has average size boobs.They are all proportionally sound.
    Horrible tumors for muscles? those look like pretty good muscles to me.Can you explain that,I don't get what you mean.

Now let's take a look at what I think is good Runaways art.
    Gertrude and Chase
    Gertrude and Chase

This is Micheal Ryan's Gertrude and Chase resting on Old Lace.Notice how Gert is drawn how she's supposed to be.Out of shape and unattractive (except to Chase obviously) but there is more definition.More detail in her clothes,her hair,her face etc.You could draw a skeleton with her body and it would look like an actual skeleton.You couldn't do that with Alphona's Gert.Look how ridiculously small her waist is.She's chunky.Why does she have almost no waist?
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pixelized

and it looks like gerturde's right ankle is broken

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @pixelized said:
    " and it looks like gerturde's right ankle is broken "
    PIXIE!!!!
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pixelized
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @pixelized said:
    PIXIE!!!!
    "
    I thought of you while you were away
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @pixelized said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @pixelized said:
    PIXIE!!!!
    "
    I thought of you while you were away
    "
    I was going to say that.
    The_Deadly_Koi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Deadly_Koi

I agree. I wish Adrian and Brian would go back to the Runaways!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Alphona almost ruined Runaways for me. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.