Follow

Adamantium

Object » Adamantium appears in 2756 issues.

A virtually indestructible man-made metal. The strongest metal known. Unbreakable and razor-sharp, it cuts through steel like a paper. Without a healing factor it is poisonous inside the body.

What Marvel/DC characters can break true adamantium?

DaAwesome2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Referring to people who primarily reside on Earth

Also no matter manipulation, transmuting, magnetism or any of that.

Only physical force or destructive energy..ie..heat vision, lightning, lasers, fire, freezing, concussive force beams, and the like.

matmatxm8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By matmatxm8

Superman because he can lift planets

and also green lantern because his constructs are durable enough to support the weight of the planet

I guess adamantium cannot support the weight of a planet

No Caption Provided

I guess adamantium can't do that

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm....in New Avengers 2(??), Reynolds busts through nine floors of steel lines adamantium. That was the Raft prison, though.

Is that primary adamantium? Anyone validate?

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daawesome2: How thick is it? As thin as a micrometer or as thick as 100 feet?

I think the Flash could break it via vibration or IMP.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With enough Loebforce, Rulk!

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and also green lantern because his constructs are durable enough to support the weight of the planet

No Caption Provided

Actually...if you could actually get enough Adamantium to make a claw that big...it probably could do the same thing. Also, When it comes to moving Planets "weight" is a meaningless concept. It's all about Mass.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squirrel Girl

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Killemall

Hulk has done it. King Thor melted it. So it goes both ways.

Actually...if you could actually get enough Adamantium to make a claw that big...it probably could do the same thing. Also, When it comes to moving Planets "weight" is a meaningless concept. It's all about Mass.

The biggest consideration while moving a planet is actually gravity and the size of the planet and most importantly the distant from its star.

The force, at least in science is calculated as

F = (G*m1*m2)/ (r squared)

You essentially need a force greated that F to move it.

And given how mass of the star is always going to drawf a planet, its the mass of the star that becomes more relevant, as well as r (distance between them measure in meter)

But thats IF they follow science, dont think comics actually do.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AngryHulks

Superman with sufficient sundip, by strength or heat vision.

Hulk with sufficient rage.

Silver Surfer's planet busting blast should be able to do a work.

King Thor's eye blast should do.

Sentry??

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#10 god_spawn  Moderator

@killemall:

Hulk has done it."

A handful of characters "have" done it. Too bad Hulk can't do it anymore.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AngryHulks

@killemall:

Hulk has done it."

I thought Hulk never done it, if I remembered correctly, they retcon the Adamantium in question to secondary Adamantium.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 god_spawn  Moderator

@angryhulks: That's why I put have in quotation marks. Once upon he was able to. Hell, even Wonder Man crushed Ultron's adamantium head. The only other instance people might bring is the artist mistake in Jason Aaron's Hulk run when he made Wolverine stab himself in the forehead.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Hulk never done it, if I remembered correctly, they retcon the Adamantium in question to secondary Adamantium.

It was called pure adamantium, that also 10 tons later, rather than primary or secondly.

No Caption Provided

Given how he is currently being written he probably could do that again. He recently absolutely stomped a Shield version of Hulk buster that was totally stomping Iron Man, tanked a blast said to be hot enough to melt adamantium, and his worthy part is yet to be retconned.

Hulk after Avengers movie has appeared a lot stronger than before, although the instance in question, breakin the adamantium was mindless hulk.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angryhulks: That's why I put have in quotation marks. Once upon he was able to. Hell, even Wonder Man crushed Ultron's adamantium head. The only other instance people might bring is the artist mistake in Jason Aaron's Hulk run when he made Wolverine stab himself in the forehead.

Do you have an issue number for this?

Just asking because there is a very similar instance during Avengers Ultron Unlimited (not 100% on what exact issue number is, i only have the TPB collection) where Wonder Man does exactly that, crush Ultron's head. It was later revealed that it wasnt made out of adamantium and Ultron was using older models against him. Thor was also capable of doing so.

When they faced the actual ultron who was full adamantium, they strategy was drop Ultron around as long as they can, hoping something non-adamantium inside him would break. But they finally had to resort to PIS at the end: anti-metal vibranium.

Coz its either that or you are referring to a very old issue, likely retconned man. I have been a huge fan of Ultron as of late so just defending my character :p

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@killemall: Which that scan was retconned. The scan right now is irrelevant. Same as when he cracked Ultron. Retconned to 2nd. Same as Wonder Man breaking Ultron's head. Retconned. And no, he did not tank a blast that "melted" adamantium. He tanked a blast that helped mold secondary adamantium. Why? Because Ultron's ady was retconned to secondary. That's why secondary adamantium was created, to give true adamantium its status back. The only legit one I know of off the top of my head was King Thor melting Wolverine and that he had the Odin power to do so.

So no, Hulk cannot break it. He's too weak.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Killemall

@killemall: Which that scan was retconned. The scan right now is irrelevant.

When was it reconned, just curious, because its a very recent scan (2008)

Same as when he cracked Ultron. Retconned to 2nd. Same as Wonder Man breaking Ultron's head. Retconned. And no, he did not tank a blast that "melted" adamantium. He tanked a blast that helped mold secondary adamantium. Why? Because Ultron's ady was retconned to secondary. That's why secondary adamantium was created, to give true adamantium its status back. The only legit one I know of off the top of my head was King Thor melting Wolverine and that he had the Odin power to do so.

So no, Hulk cannot break it. He's too weak.

Gotta admit, i had no idea Ultron body was retconned to second admantium, gotta read up on him :p i have only read his appearances after 2005.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@killemall: I can't even remember when it was. I just know Marvel did a general retcon of adamantium some time ago that whenever it was cracked or destroyed it was secondary adamantium. So Ultron's body just ended up falling under that category without ever really specifying and I do know he has had .The scan in question is referring to a past encounter the retcon still holds true or the writer didn't do his research on the retcon. Simple as that.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk has done it. King Thor melted it. So it goes both ways.

@shawnbaby said:

The biggest consideration while moving a planet is actually gravity and the size of the planet and most importantly the distant from its star.

The force, at least in science is calculated as

F = (G*m1*m2)/ (r squared)

You essentially need a force greated that F to move it.

And given how mass of the star is always going to drawf a planet, its the mass of the star that becomes more relevant, as well as r (distance between them measure in meter)

But thats IF they follow science, dont think comics actually do.

Yeah...I was just referring to the fact that Weight is subjective while Mass is a constant.

And yeah...most comics don't follow science very closely at all...some inject a little teensy tinsey tidebit here and there...but as a rule...comic writers are not physicists.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@killemall: @god_spawn: It was never retconned on panel, but Brevoort stated that any instances of adamantium breaking are secondary adamantium, whether it says pure adamantium or not. It was in reply to someone asking him if Nul breaking an adamantium net was legit.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

BP since he has dat anti-metal

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Nice! :) When Bendis writes Squirrel Girl she's the most powerful character in the Marvel U.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 god_spawn  Moderator

@citizenbane: I know there is no official statement on panel regarding all ady breaking being secondary, but I do remember it being retconned even before Fear Itself. Brevoort must have at least known about it before and upheld that end. So it wasn't just Brevoort saying it 2 years ago or so, it's been around longer than that.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#23  Edited By Joygirl

Bomb Queen melts it down and makes a d*ldo out of it. Somehow.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Argument waiting to happen

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daawesome2: Based on your requirements? Nobody. Short of molecular rearrangement, it is not supposed to be broken. Them's the rules. But it seems that for the sake of events, faux drama and a broken editorial staff, many can. Shame really.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 god_spawn  Moderator

@theacidskull: Hulk could be punching away universes if angry enough. The excuse is old and with anything he has shown so far says no.

matmatxm8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By matmatxm8
    @shawnbaby said:

@matmatxm8 said:

No Caption Provided

I dont understand what you say, but I will agree with you

DaAwesome2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp:

Let's say it's as thick as Ultron's armor. I don't want to make it too thick because then only cosmic entitities would be able to destroy it.

LfRocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LfRocky

lobo because he broke c.a sheild in da crossover so i think that he can break adamantium

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.