Origin: Earth-616 Universe
Aliases: Him, Golden Gladiator, Master of all Souls, Adam Magus, Mr. Smith, Magus, Subject X-31, Avatar of Life, Jake Miller, Ultimate Avenger, God Slayer, Demon, Avenging Hand of Light
Occupations: Avenger, Savior of Worlds, Sorcerer, Battle Mage of the Guardians of the Galaxy, God, former guardian of Atlezca, Priest of the Soulworld, Mystic, Spiritual Vampire
Affiliations: Infinity Watch, Guardians of the Galaxy, Enclave
Species/Race: Gene-Bred Post-Human (Cosmic Being); Artificially created and genetically modified human being.
Weapons: Soul Gem, Karmic Staff
Powers/Abilities: Energy Manipulation, Sorcery, Enhanced Biology, Matter Manipulation, Cosmic Senses, Proficiency in Martial Arts, Proficient in Hacking, High Intelligence, Powers via Soul Gem
Going through comic vine, I've seen people who speak about Adam Warlock and whether hater or fan, there's various things that they've gotten completely wrong. This section is dedicated to pointing out these claims and myths with truths terms with feats and capabilities. Many of these will have supporting images or sources to make it easy to understand. Here's some I've noted:
- The splitting between the Current and Classic feats are for convenience. There's no official text supporting the idea that he's "stronger" or "much better" in his classic versions. Most incarnations didn't give him new powers, but further amplified his already present powers he has outside the Soul Gem. The Soul Gem also bestowed powers based on it AND amplified certain abilities. There's this idea that Classic Warlock > Current Warlock or even vice versa. The truth is: The only thing that separates them is the Soul Gem and people's opinion of subjectivity of which era looks more impressive. (Sans his Him incarnation.)
- This will be explained in the Sorcery portion of the Current incarnation section but Adam's mystical power are now under "Sorcery" and "Mysticism". Yes, he has been doing a variation of a kind of magic and has been referred to as mystic. Refer to yourself to that section for more information. (Proof is in the appropriate sections)
- He has NOT ever beaten the likes of Thor in the comics. In all three fights, he's only look impressive in one. (They'll be in the Respect Thread with appropriate sourcing.)
- He did not lose a fight to the character Maxam during the Warlock and the Infinity Watch. I've seen this pointed out as a low showing but neglect to not only mention at his max, he's about Class 100 according to handbooks (not super accurate but he did fight against Hercules) but that Adam was ambused and considered him a friend, meaning he held back. Furthermore, it was Moondragon who put in a hallucination of Maxam killing Adam. (Warlock and the Infinity Watch 40)
- He's won against Quasar. Many people who have done a Quasar vs Warock post up until the point he began draining his energy. The fight goes BEYOND that point in Adam's favor. Those who post things as a low showing need to be aware of the COMPLETE fight. It should be posted here too.
- Pointed out in the Quantum Magic/Physical Capabilities portion, his stabbing within Guardians of the Galaxy run (Abnett/Lanning Run) was done by a powered up sword, not an ordinary one. Those who look at it for a durability low showing need to read the entire issue 3 of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 for context behind it.
- Soul sucking capabilities are a last resort tactic on Adam's behalf.
- Adam's strength level has not ever really been specified outside handbooks and showing against fights. He's ranked on the same strength level as Carol Danvers at his fullest augmented and Class 10 when base.
The current Adam Warlock retains a appearance more akin to an actual warlock: adorned in red and black. Various artist, however, has interpret this to either be skin-tight like normal superheroes clothes or more like robs but generally look like this above. There's various keywords at this part to keep in mind.
- Premature: You'll see this for any pages on the Annihilation: Conquest book. This describes his form during the event. He remains here from Annihilation: Conquest 1-5. He's outfitted in all black with a thunder bolt in the center colored red.
- Mature: This is his form he gains in Annihilation: Conquest 5 onward and is his current costume in outside media and in the comic books. Some sections may or may not be labelled. But if there's no labelling, you can assume it's him in his mature form. He retains this throughout both Guardians of the Galaxy
- Magus: This is the darker aspect of Adam in which has manifested from the events of the Guardians of the Galaxy. However, rather then being a separate entity from the future like in the old days, the overlapping of the timeline now makes Magus an EXTENSION of Adam, only being his darkness (I'm starting to think it's a retcon to make things more simple). Up until his death in Thanos: Ignition, you can almost consider Warlock and Magus synonymous in at least the capability department. Currently, they both co-exist now. Cause apparently, when Warlock came back due to the cosmic cube (this was said to be a trick but Thanos: Infinity Relativity confirmed he did come back) and was shot and killed, HE died but his Magus persona lived and used his body. Then died too and stuff.
- Upgrade: This details his form in the Thanos: Infinity Revelation book. His costume remains the same (except artist detail wise) but this expresses the newer capabilties he has. Anything under this is the most recent around.
Cosmic Energy Feats (Post Upgrade)
(Note: I'm assuming the energy he offensively manipulates when attacking is cosmic energy based on the fact that he's manipulating the same energy present in his flashbacks in Infinity Relativity. Although different Warlock, he retains the same past except costume wise. There, his past version is seen with the same energy as now. He was definitely cosmic energy there then. His powers are also compared to Galactus's heralds, making it more likely to me. On a related but not to this note, he also does in the Avengers Alliance game where his Magus version manipulates Cosmic Energy. So I think I'm not too off on this.)
Soul (Life) Energy Manipulation
Contrary to popular belief, it seems that since his re-introduction from Abnett and Lanning's stories, Adam himself is specified more heavily to be a actual Sorcerer and previous handbooks have also labelled him a "Mystic", meaning he's been having magical capabilities. So let it be known this Respect Thread will refer mystical powers as outright Sorcery/ Magic.
Metaphysical Quantum Energy Manipulation (Quantum Magic)
(Note: Not sure If he retains this magic after his resurrection in 2015's Infinity Revelation onward. This is, however, left into the air as he appears in his same costume and different costume changes normally means new incarnation. Pretty sure authors do that to make the distinguish obvious.)
During this course in time, Adam's powers were new to him and he admitted to using them almost instinctively. But his powers have a habit of "attacking" him as he was reborn too early and this was a weakness, as it could happen to him at anytime with no warning whatsoever.
Intellect and Knowledge
The Classic Incarnation details from his appearance starting from Marvel Premier - Warlock to the latest days of the Infinity Abyss books. Effectively, this is from the 1970s to around 2005-06ish time when referring to the "Classic Incarnations". As noted earlier within the Respect Thread, this is done out of convenience and there's no official text or anything stating that the Classic Version differs wholly from the Current or that either or is better then one another.