inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Superman can be a tough sell sometimes, and while issue #27 of this series was a bit of a let down (for me), issue #28 was incredibly fun deals with the choices Superman must make because he thinks they're right, even if the outcomes of said choices are considered immoral by others.

Writer Greg Pak is doing a fine job on this series. Superman can be a tough character to write, but Pak is nailing it. This issue is more than just a good guy fighting a bad guy. Pak delves into what makes Superman the man he is today and why he makes the choices he makes. While the overall story is fun and interesting, it's the battle with Superman being Superman that makes this issue fantastic.

Ghost Soldier is a really cool character. He doesn't come off as a villain, just a man who has a job to complete, and he's someone who can actually hurt Superman. One of the best moments in the issue is when he and Superman have a chat about making the right choices and that every choice you make can affect those around you. Of course, Superman is a man who wants to stop every injustice he sees, so Ghost Soldier's words go in one ear and out the other. Most likely, this will have some ramifications in upcoming issues, and I cannot wait to see the outcome.

There's something very special about the art of Aaron Kuder and the colors from Wil Quintana. These two are perfect compliments to each other. Kuder really knows how to nail an establishing shot and layout a page in ways that make the reader want to inspect every inch of the page. His creature design is intriguing and they're designed in a way where they feel very out there, yet they could be real.

The Bad

While Kuder's art really shines throughout the issue, there was one page, in particular, that was a bit confusing and hard to read. The page is split with a diagonal line from the bottom left corner, shooting up to the upper-right corner of the page. From there, horizontal lines separate the panels. While the overall look of this page is incredibly interesting and fresh, it's rather troublesome to read and feels very unnatural.

This is going to be a bit nit-picky, but another small problem with this issue is that Pak and Kuder utilize a few too many splash pages towards the end of the issue. While there were only five in the issue, total, four of those splash pages happen in the latter part of the book, and while we've seen issues use a lot more in the past (SUPERMAN #75 was all splash pages), Pak and Kuder do a bit better storytelling in a multi-panel format. Again, this is nit-picky and doesn't hinder the overall score or opinion of the book, since Kuder's art is so damn good.

The Verdict

Kal-El's books have seen quite a few creative changes since the reboot, but this is the first time where one of his series feels to have a strong foothold on a good story with a writer who has a firm grasp on what makes the character tic. ACTION COMICS not only has Pak doing a splendid job with the characterization, but he also has the strong art team of Kuder and Quintana backing him up. Superman is a tough character from me to get excited about, but issue #28 really changed my mind about him. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Greg Pak's a great writer, but there's something about his Action Comics that's just not really captivating me. Still a good series, but there is just no 'UMPF' in it for me.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great issue.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3 inferiorego  Staff

Greg Pak's a great writer, but there's something about his Action Comics that's just not really captivating me. Still a good series, but there is just no 'UMPF' in it for me.

I was "meh" with the last issue, but I really enjoyed what he did here.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By timelord

This was great I love the new tone/focus of the series. Smaller stories while focusing on Clark's human relationships , at the moment he does not have a reason to care about the human race I am hoping Greg Pak can give him one.

This book will be the perfect compliment to Geoff Johns run as he is the best at epic world ending stories if they match up like that it will be a fantastic time to be a Superman fan.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

It's a nice opening arc, I am eagerly expecting Pak to tackle some classic villians. Pak's writing is full of positive energy and his Superman really reads like a younger version. Kuder's art is excellent, his art is so full of motion and energy, exactly what Action Comics needs.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I love Lana Lang

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

I think I'd like to read this. Sounds great.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SandMan_

I need to read this.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kidchipotle

I truly believe that Greg Pak's Action Comics is saving New 52 Superman. I loved this issue personally.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Pak's writing is chuck full of humor and heart. I'll say it again, he's the best since Mark Waid.

And Lana > Lois, every Superman love interest > Lois to me. The way they read and understand each other is amazing. The dialog just flows.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Lana > Lois, every Superman love interest > Lois to me. The way they read and understand each other is amazing. The dialog just flows.

I'd actually be glad with the New52, or any reboot, if they removed Lois, the entire Daily Planet concept, Metropolis even, & had Clark set up as Superman some place else & create an entirely new set of supporting characters.

Also, can we merge Chloe & Lana into one person that he grew up with, knows his secret, created his little bat-cave type thing to support him. But we dont really need both of them as seperate characters.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis

In terms of characterization I love this series,cant remember the last time I had fun reading Lana.Superman is awesome here,he actually feels like Superman and not the bully we've gotten since the reboot. The story is cool but I wanna see more classic villains or captivating new villains.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No swamp thing review?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Really enjoying the Clark/Lana team up here.

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
    DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
    DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cobramorph: Man, that would be awful. Superman needs Lois. Even if they're not together, Clark needs her, the daily planet, and Metropolis. It's what makes Superman Superman, he needs Lois, Jimmy and Perry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of characterization I love this series,cant remember the last time I had fun reading Lana.Superman is awesome here,he actually feels like Superman and not the bully we've gotten since the reboot. The story is cool but I wanna see more classic villains or captivating new villains.

I don't read New 52 Superman but how is he like a bully? (I'm just curious)

leocwoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my best friend's sister-in-law makes DOLLAR 60 every hour on the laptop . She has been out of a job for 7 months but last month her pay check was DOLLAR 20579 just working on the laptop for a few hours. go to the website.......... WWW.Dub30.ℭom

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@farkam: He's not he's just been a bit more arrogant ( which everyone in the new 52 has been )

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
    Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fastestmanalive

I'm really hearing good things about this book now and I love Supes and all and am always down to pick up another of his titles but I just can't get past Kuder's terrible art. Its just that bad to me.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@fallschirmjager said:

Really enjoying the Clark/Lana team up here.

@entropy_aegis said:

@squalleon said:

It's a nice opening arc, I am eagerly expecting Pak to tackle some classic villians. Pak's writing is full of positive energy and his Superman really reads like a younger version. Kuder's art is excellent, his art is so full of motion and energy, exactly what Action Comics needs.

@arturocalakayvee said:

I truly believe that Greg Pak's Action Comics is saving New 52 Superman. I loved this issue personally.

Yes, yes, yes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd yes.

And YES!

Had a smile plastered on my face right up until the last two pages. Greg Pak can do no wrong these days. He is a must-buy writer for me. How the hell could you get me to buy Turok: Dinosaur Hunter? Have Greg Pak write it.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm really hearing good things about this book now and I love Supes and all and am always down to pick up another of his titles but I just can't get past Kuder's terrible art. Its just that bad to me.

You should check out some scans or flip through it at your LCS. He's never drawn as well as he has now on Action Comics, and this issue was his best yet. Such a drastic improvement from Green Lantern New Guardians, and I have never seen anyone draw the S on his chest so damn perfect. I know that's a weird thing to praise, but it really stands out. There were very few panels this issue that featured the patented "Kuderface."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.