uncas007's Action Comics: At the End of Days #1 - Volume 3 review

Avatar image for uncas007
  • uncas007 wrote this review on .
  • uncas007 has written a total of 268 reviews. The last one was for Book Six

A Dog and His Boy

As far as slam-bang finishes go, they don't get much more slammier or bangier. Once again Grant Morrison wags his finger at Morrison Doubters (such as yours truly) and pulls together most of the disparate threads and notions he has sprinkled throughout the series into a fairly satisfying conclusion. Most, I say, but not all, but that's probably not his purpose, anyway. It's possible to still enjoy Lost even if doesn't explicitly answer all your questions (it probably answered more than you thought it did), and so it's possible to enjoy Morrison's series here even with the fair number of dropped threads or unrealized potentialities (parallel universes have a way of dangling ideas out there without seeing them fully realized, especially when one knows the mega-story is drawing to a close).

As I started to hint at in my brief review of Volume 2, Morrison probably should not be given permission to write for mainline series. He is a "big idea" man, which is not to say he is not capable of details and nuances. He certainly is capable of details and nuances, and as I've said before we (okay, I) should probably stop doubting his ability to tell cohesive stories when he gets the chance. Since he is a "big idea" man, it might be more fair to the readers (and the writers who have to follow him) to keep his work on non-continuity series/mini-series. He is an explorer of ideas: the symbols of Superman, the villains of Superman, the implications of Superman, what if Benevolent Superman were President and balanced Truth with lying about his identity? ... and such like that. He dabbles. He dabbles in grand, well-read ways (he certainly knows a great deal of DCU history, even if New 52 pretends it doesn't want any of us to), but he doesn't give us the impression he wants to set down roots and cultivate. He is restless, and perhaps we are better off if we let his restlessness take him (and us) in whatever wild directions it wants to go.

His "run" (as the insiders call it) is so well-contained, it feels like its own series. He ends his tale so well, so positively (a rare and wonderful thing, even giving us better closure on some elements than we thought he would do if we gave up during volume 2), we feel like it should just be the end. That's it. But no, it's Action Comics, not "All-Star Superman 2: A Dog and His Boy." Heaven help whoever has to take over next.

A word should be said in favor of Sholly Fisch's supporting work: it is also quite good. In brief vignettes, Fisch continues the pervasive optimistic, heartwarming tenor of the series, filling in gaps we didn't think we needed filling but are grateful for just the same. Fine work, Mr. Fisch.

And fine work to you, too, Mr. Morrison. I apologize for doubting you.

0 Comments