turoksonofstone's Abe Sapien: The Abyssal Plain #1 review

Avatar image for turoksonofstone

Abe Sapien: The Abyssal Plain 1 0f 2

Abe Sapien #7! It is 1984 and Abe Sapien is on a solo mission to recover the lost burgonet of Melchiorre.(cooler than it sounds)...

The Good
Everything. Mignola, Arcudi, and Snejbjerg bring us the first half of another great Abe Sapien tale. Like most Hellboy/B.P.R.D. stories this one is rich in atmosphere and it delivers the goods. The "burgonet of Melchiorre" itself also has a neat back story.

The Bad
Didn't really care for Snejbjerg's version of Abe. I wish Mignola would draw more of these stories himself.

The Verdict - 5/5
 I sometimes think I may like Abe more than Hellboy. Despite my gripes with Abe's visual portrayal, this is another near flawless chapter in the greater B.P.R.D./Hellboy Universe. Highly recommended.

Other reviews for Abe Sapien: The Abyssal Plain #1

Abe In His Own Book 0

There are some interesting characters in the Hellboy universe but you have to admit there's just something about Abe Sapien. Here we get a nice two-issue story starring Abe.  The Good It's written by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi so you know Abe's in safe hands. The story begins with a flashback and you really get a sense of what the individual involved is going through. It's a nice set up that later requires Abe to go in search of a missing submarine. Perhaps you could imagine what a scene with ...

10,000 Leagues Underwater 0

SynopsisThe B.P.R.D hires an 'ol seadawg to transport Abe Sapien into international waters. They are in search of an ancient artifact in a sunken submarine at the bottom of the Russian ocean. This issue gives a brief history of where the artifact came from and why it's important to recover....but I'll bet you don't see <enter unpredictable event> coming. You'll just have to read it to see what I'm talking about. The Good Uh...everything? Can I stop here? The art is great and what is to be ...