gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided
As a comic book reader, it's easy to say all the ideas have been done. We've seen superhero battles and stories that try to push the edge of what you can expect. Once in a while you come across a story that doesn't seem to try be different but manages to knock you off your feet.  

TERM LIFE is a 144-page full-color graphic novel by A.J. Lieberman (Cowboy Ninja Viking) with art by Nick Thornborrow. You may recall, I'm a big fan of Lieberman and Riley Rossmo's storytelling in Cowboy Ninja Viking. With TERM LIFE, Lieberman shows that he's not a one-trick pony. 

Too often, writers, good or bad, tend to stick to same genre. Perhaps they discover what works and try to recreate that over and over. TERM LIFE, to me, seems like a story first and comic book second. The story deals with Nick Barrow. If he can stay alive for 21 days, he'll die happy. He has mob bosses, dirty cops and contract killers out to get him. Knowing his days are limited, he takes out a million dollar insurance policy payable to his estranged daughter. The problem is, the policy doesn't take effect for 21 days. 
 == TEASER ==
Another aspect that sets this comic apart from the average comic is the way the story was told. We don't see everything in a completely linear form. At first, I have to admit, this caused a tiny bit of confusion for me. I quickly saw where the story was going and was hooked. The pages were turning as I waited to see what would happen next. 

I wasn't really sure how I felt about the story at first but there was something about the entire package that just sucked me in. Nick may not be the most likable character but I did root for him as he was placed in each perilous situation.

Thornborrow's art fit the story perfectly. After reading a story or an issue, I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if someone else handled the art chores. I do think that if Thornborrow didn't do the art for TERM LIFE, it would be a different story. 

TERM LIFE is due in stores in January from Image Comics. It's not an easy choice to make the decision to buy a book without the familiar characters in all the mainstream comics. This is far from a mainstream book. I could easily see this story being adapted into a movie. It's not for everyone as it contains "mature" situations (violence, profanity, nudity and sexual situations). If you are hesitant about plopping down $16.99 on one book, there is an easy solution. Since this isn't due in stores until January 12, start setting aside some change now. By the time the book is released, you'll have the money to spend on it. 

I would give TERM LIFE a 4.5 out of 5. I enjoyed it especially for being something different. The story and art deliver a cinematic feel that will leave you wondering what will happen next. Despite the length, you will easily want to read this in one sitting. Again, it's due in stores in from Image Comics. Be sure to contact your local comic shop or book dealer and and ask them to order you a copy. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5b187f8045ca0
deactivated-5b187f8045ca0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was really looking forward to this book, the premise sounded great, and the art seems to really fit the style of the book. I'm glad someone else noticed and is getting this book out to the masses.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm always looking for something different. Between catching up on the Sword and Locke & Key I will try and give this a look. Keep giving us a heads up on stories like this G-Man. I always appreciate it. I bought Pride Of Baghdad on this sites recommendation.
Avatar image for comicbikerscott
comicbikerscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By comicbikerscott

i love image
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Silkcuts

This looks good :D

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Pizawle

Wow. This sounds and looks awesome.

MoonstoneEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MoonstoneEvil

I might consider getting this when it comes out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.